Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

This is pretty neat. Are all these scenes on some special dvd or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

It's on the Blu-Ray, which I think is only available as a multi-format release with a DVD copy as well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

david_a posted:

It's on the Blu-Ray, which I think is only available as a multi-format release with a DVD copy as well.

Right they're called Blu-Ray now. They're all just CD's with videos on them to me. I'm such a god drat media format grandpa.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

making him just a zombie was probably the dumbest thing in the movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Groovelord Neato posted:

making him just a zombie was probably the dumbest thing in the movie.

While I agree that the design itself was not as interesting as the alternate version, I thought the makeup effects and the creepy unnatural movements worked really well. I'm not an anti-CGI person, but in this case I do think the alternate scene loses a lot of physicality compared to the one where it was a real guy on set.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
One of the reasons they went with what's on the movie is that Ridley felt the actor got totally lost under the CGI effects. Also, I'm not sure if the mutated version effects were 100% finished and polished, but they are a bit more noticeably artificial in motion than the other one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baronjutter posted:

A four disc collectors set, yes. With a 3 hour making of that is pretty great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

david_a posted:

One of the reasons they went with what's on the movie is that Ridley felt the actor got totally lost under the CGI effects. Also, I'm not sure if the mutated version effects were 100% finished and polished, but they are a bit more noticeably artificial in motion than the other one.

I never thought about it before but I guess with the CGI version it would be possible for a portion of the audience to not even realize what's going on in that scene? Like, they say the name "Fifield" at some point in the scene, but would the average person remember who Fifield is without seeing his face(and probably more importantly, his hair)?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

I never thought about it before but I guess with the CGI version it would be possible for a portion of the audience to not even realize what's going on in that scene? Like, they say the name "Fifield" at some point in the scene, but would the average person remember who Fifield is without seeing his face(and probably more importantly, his hair)?
Hah, that's probably possible. From what I remember they state a bunch of times that it's Fifield's camera out there but I don't remember how well established it is who Fifield actually is.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

I agree with this and also honestly the design looks really stupid and like video game-like to me. I don't mean in terms of the CG being bad but like, it looks sort of over designed? Like it's such a deliberately "cool" monster design to me, I don't know how to talk about art design stuff sorry. You can see it in action very very very briefly in some of the trailers for Prometheus but I realize that's not a fair way to judge it since the CG/etc. obviously isn't finished. I like the idea of his helmet having melted onto his face though instead of it being just absorbed into him or whatever but you can tell they were rolling with the CG one and by the time they changed their minds/ran out of time they didn't have time for anything too drastic. Scott seems to favor practical stuff and in camera effects where it's feasible so I'm surprised they didn't go with makeup or something for him from the get go.

The movie does make it very clear that it's Fifield, they see very aware that it's him laying down weirdly outside the ship and everything. Like even if they don't say it a million times I don't think there's any doubt once they actually head out.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
Is Covenant being shot in 3D? I know there's a lot of blanket 3D hate or ambivalence, but the 3D in Prometheus was some of the best and most natural I've ever seen in a film.

I'll never forget the image of that red scanner going across the cave showing off the illusion of depth, or Shaw's "abortion" looking like it was happening right before my eyes.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

david_a posted:

There wasn't much of an actor under there after all. I cant wait for his next movie. Wow he was the bad guy in MI rogue nation, haha.

Hi, I was the scared geologist in Prometheus.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tenzarin posted:

There wasn't much of an actor under there after all. I cant wait for his next movie. Wow he was the bad guy in MI rogue nation, haha.

Hi, I was the scared geologist in Prometheus.
Have you seen Southcliffe?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

david_a posted:

Have you seen Southcliffe?

I have not, I would have to say that it kinda makes his role in Prometheus even funnier.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

The alien fiefeld should've been left in for sure, I loved that his suit was fusing to his body too, evoking the bio-organic giger feel.
Definitely seconding this. I really liked the alternate Fifeld effects a lot more than what was used in the theatrical cut.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Is Covenant being shot in 3D? I know there's a lot of blanket 3D hate or ambivalence, but the 3D in Prometheus was some of the best and most natural I've ever seen in a film.

I'll never forget the image of that red scanner going across the cave showing off the illusion of depth, or Shaw's "abortion" looking like it was happening right before my eyes.

I strongly agree, Prometheus is the most wowed I've been at 3d effects in a movie. I think it's the way it's so full of smoke and particles and stuff. The scanner things, the holograms (human- and engineer-made both), the debris storm. Even the dream reader thing was sort of voxelly.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Did the other fifield zombie start off in that goofy rear end position with his legs wrapped around his shoulder?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

banned from Starbucks posted:

Did the other fifield zombie start off in that goofy rear end position with his legs wrapped around his shoulder?

You mean the alternate CGI one? Yes, and if anything it works better because the CGI model allows for unnatural proportions that the practical version didn't have.

For the curious, here's the alternate scene: https://youtu.be/BYnf6wuEB4g

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I like that they put him in that pose in the alternate version because it really evokes the Xeno look

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Xenomrph posted:

You mean the alternate CGI one? Yes, and if anything it works better because the CGI model allows for unnatural proportions that the practical version didn't have.

For the curious, here's the alternate scene: https://youtu.be/BYnf6wuEB4g

That's way better.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

banned from Starbucks posted:

I swear this is a reference to Alien where in the extended cut you see it swinging from the chains before it's revealed in a similar posture.

Or maybe I'm crazy.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hunterhr posted:

I swear this is a reference to Alien where in the extended cut you see it swinging from the chains before it's revealed in a similar posture.

Or maybe I'm crazy.

Its more like that ridiculous crab walk the alien doesn before it kills lambert.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Hunterhr posted:

Or maybe I'm crazy.

I think I saw it also in AvP.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Hunterhr posted:

Or maybe I'm crazy.

I always think about how that shot would be really amazing for someone who's watching for the first time and doesn't know what the alien looks like. The alien blends right in and can easily be mistaken for machinery or something.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
This thread inspired me to watch Alien over the weekend and despite having seen it god knows how many times before I have a question:

If the sole directive of the Nostromo's mission is to retrieve the alien and bring it back for Weyland-Yutani, why is there even a self destruct option on the ship?

Edit: Nevermind, I googled it.

Brand New Malaysian Wife fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Nov 7, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'd imagine googling it would just give you whatever answer some random nerd came up with on whatever site you happen to click on. The movie gives you plenty of information to come up with your own answer, there's several that could make sense.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
Well the main reasons I saw were:

- Safety so that it could be destroyed before it can damage a populated area being that it's towing a giant refinery through space
- So that no competitors could potentially get their hands on it if something should go wrong
- Because all spacecraft have a similar system

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brand New Malaysian Wife posted:

- Safety so that it could be destroyed before it can damage a populated area being that it's towing a giant refinery through space
- So that no competitors could potentially get their hands on it if something should go wrong
- Because all spacecraft have a similar system

These sound like perfectly fine reasons to me.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I always liked the whole concept of the towed refinery parking in space above a planet for a while, like to indigenous species we'd look like the mothership from Independence Day. That thing was huge.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This thread inspired me to watch Alien over the weekend and despite having seen it god knows how many times before I have a question:

If the sole directive of the Nostromo's mission is to retrieve the alien and bring it back for Weyland-Yutani, why is there even a self destruct option on the ship?

Edit: Nevermind, I googled it.

Nostromo's directive is to haul cargo from one lovely end of space to the next. The alien stuff was a new directive added on their way home.

And I'd imagine the self destruct is there incase something started leaking or something. To get rid of the hazardous materials? Destroy evidence? I don't know! Self Destruction options always seemed silly to me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The real answer is self-destruct is just a sci-fi trope that doesn't need any explanation. Its a spaceship, of course it has a self-destruct.

Edit: Oh yea, and today I lived a life long dream of being able to say to a boss of mine, "can we discuss the bonus situation?" I forgot to do Italian gesticulations like Kotto, but maybe next time.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 7, 2016

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ripley is saved by the system around earth that would stop this from happening(even though it must be gone by the time Alien:Resurrection happens because they ram a ship into the earth), they had some like salvage ships find the escape pod at the start of Aliens. Those people who board the escape pod because they found it too close to earth right? Nevermind they found her past earth, they cant find poo poo.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 8, 2016

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Tenzarin posted:

Nevermind they found her past earth, they cant find poo poo.

It was really just blind luck.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea Burke explains that it was 100% luck that she was found at all(kiddo).

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

CelticPredator posted:

Nostromo's directive is to haul cargo from one lovely end of space to the next. The alien stuff was a new directive added on their way home.

And I'd imagine the self destruct is there incase something started leaking or something. To get rid of the hazardous materials? Destroy evidence? I don't know! Self Destruction options always seemed silly to me.

The self destruct exist in the Alien universe because of an early disaster in space travel where a colony ship lost power and drifted into a planet, wiping out a full city.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Ships today can be scuttled if necessary (the Nostromo's destruct system is even labelled 'Scuttle' somewhere). Having a way to do the same thing in a spaceship isn't really a stretch (although blowing it up in a megaton nuclear explosion is slight overkill).

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Payndz posted:

Ships today can be scuttled if necessary (the Nostromo's destruct system is even labelled 'Scuttle' somewhere). Having a way to do the same thing in a spaceship isn't really a stretch (although blowing it up in a megaton nuclear explosion is slight overkill).

It may have been overkill, but I think it was because the Nostomo was a tug. It wasn't the ship itself that would be a problem, but what it was potentially towing.

http://alienscollection.com/ricardorefinery1.jpg

The Nostromo is the really small bit front and center.

Murphys Law fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 9, 2016

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
I want my spaceship to have a castle on the top.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 225 days!

NarkyBark posted:

I've heard that sort of thing is common in the grim darkess of the far future, along with war and the laughter of thirsting gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NarkyBark posted: