Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."

Cingulate posted:

Well to be fair, he is a poll aggregator, not a reality aggregator, and it's not clear how early voting actually behaves cause it's current prevalence is a recent development. Right?

But I do assume he'll enter it into his "polls-plus".

I also assume PEC will not change much if Clinton wins, unless he misses more than 3 states.

Absolutely, but I'd argue that early voting information is basically a poll in and of itself- it's just measuring how many people of each party affiliation are Actually Voting. We've had a few cycles now of it, and we can make some decent assumptions about what a typical early voting electorate is like compared to an election day electorate. We can also weight the early voting results by what fraction of the electorate's already voted, too. It's just silly that a model would show Nevada as still a 50-50 shot when we know some absurdly high fraction of people have already voted, their party affiliations are known, and unless there's a number of Democrats For Trump that is wholly unprecedented then Trump would have to run up the score to an extent nobody's ever seen on election day to win. It's not 50-50. Is it 80, 90, 95? I dunno. I am not familiar enough with the data. But that's one area I'm confident 538's model is badly overestimating uncertainty because of not using data.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cingulate posted:

Well to be fair, he is a poll aggregator, not a reality aggregator, and it's not clear how early voting actually behaves cause it's current prevalence is a recent development. Right?

But I do assume he'll enter it into his "polls-plus".
No. Polls plus only puts in a few extra points based on the economy and the fact that it would be the third democratic presidency in a row since that's always less likely. By this point in the game polls only and polls plus have basically converged. (as they are supposed to.)

His argument for not including early voting is that he sort of indirectly does.

quote:

We get a lot of questions about why our model doesn’t account for early-voting data. One answer is that it does, to the extent that early voting is reflected in the polls. Another is that the whole point of building a model is to take a more disciplined approach toward evaluating evidence instead of just throwing a hodgepodge of indicators together. Our model does a great job of reflecting what the polls say and translating that into probabilities. So you can take it at face value or use it as a departure point if there are some other factors you might want to consider.

But there haven't really been any reasonable polls in Nevada since then. And there is still the problem that Latinos are underrepresented in polls.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 5, 2016

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Spaced God posted:

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/794986090033717248

I hate that voter intimidation is a legitimate concern in tyool 2016

e: the tweet doesn't mention he's the loving election commissioner

Good grief. The consent decree better get extended after this is all over. Also that lawsuit better not get dismissed just because the guy stepped down after that.

Man. This is terrible. At least he was stopped relatively quickly.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RVProfootballer posted:

I only glanced at this, but isn't that first link just correlations between results in the simulations? As in, it takes into account polls, correlation between states, and everything else? The actual modeled correlation between states can't be that high, I don't think, else the model would have Iowa and Ohio very likely to go to Clinton given polling in Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Michigan (I suspect, anyway).

Edit: Or since weight for polls vs correlation with other state polls can be set by state probably, could be Ohio and Iowa don't care about other state polls and MI, WI, and MN do more. Would help explain 538's relative pessimism for Clinton across that whole region.
Correct - he talks about the model here: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/a-users-guide-to-fivethirtyeights-2016-general-election-forecast/
But he basically just says "it's complicated, but we account for state dependence when estimating errors don't ask how it's complicated".

cant cook creole bream posted:

No. Polls plus only puts in a few extra points based on the economy and the fact that it would be the third democratic presidency in a row since that's always less likely. By this point in the game polls only and polls plus have basically converged. (as they are supposed to.)

His argument for not including early voting is that he sort of indirectly does.
I mean, if he were to explicitly include it, it would go into polls-plus, because that's the one that has other stuff than polls.

Mukaikubo posted:

Absolutely, but I'd argue that early voting information is basically a poll in and of itself- it's just measuring how many people of each party affiliation are Actually Voting. We've had a few cycles now of it, and we can make some decent assumptions about what a typical early voting electorate is like compared to an election day electorate. We can also weight the early voting results by what fraction of the electorate's already voted, too. It's just silly that a model would show Nevada as still a 50-50 shot when we know some absurdly high fraction of people have already voted, their party affiliations are known, and unless there's a number of Democrats For Trump that is wholly unprecedented then Trump would have to run up the score to an extent nobody's ever seen on election day to win. It's not 50-50. Is it 80, 90, 95? I dunno. I am not familiar enough with the data. But that's one area I'm confident 538's model is badly overestimating uncertainty because of not using data.
Yes, but on the other hand, it is in some sense good he does not change the model now. That - fixing it as new info arrives - would bias results, because he has to make a decision. He's also not gonna include the faithless elector, for example.

This is a very academic perspective though.

Wyld Thang
Feb 23, 2016

Cingulate posted:

Does anyone have a convincing argument for why it would be in Nate's interest to make the prediction look worse for Clinton, rather than better for her?

millenialmotivation.txt

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm pretty sure that's right. But, is there really reliable demographic split of early voters versus on the day voters at this point? Knowing very little about US political breakdowns, I'm not sure, but purely from a sample size perspective it sounds like it would be horrifying to get a good estimate of, especially if it differs systematically between states.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Why do you even need to intimidate voters in loving Arkansas?

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
It seems very unlikely that Nate Silver is intentionally favoring the Republicans (rather more likely that he is intentionally using a very high uncertainty, but whatever), but it's almost certain that Nate Silver knows how few of his audience realize that his model predicts Clinton winning about half of the light red colored swing states.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

James Garfield posted:

It seems very unlikely that Nate Silver is intentionally favoring the Republicans (rather more likely that he is intentionally using a very high uncertainty, but whatever), but it's almost certain that Nate Silver knows how few of his audience realize that his model predicts Clinton winning about half of the light red colored swing states.
Nate's job, and really his only job* is to get the uncertainty just right. That's how he calls states correctly: by drawing the correct uncertainties.

* deliberately ignoring the punditry. Not gonna defend that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

nachos posted:

For the same reason Trump's campaign is sending poll observers to SC--they're not very smart.

You could run Gay Lucifer on the GOP ticket in SC and the evangelicals would fall over themselves to endorse red-dick sodomy.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ReV VAdAUL posted:

People tend to prefer a nice surprise to a nasty shock so being too pessimistic probably wouldn't hurt him too much.

It won't matter that gaining FL, for example, when he says it's for Trump is better than losing FL when he says it's for Clinton. What matters is his aggregate system is saying Trump will win it and the others' say Clinton will and he'll lose prestige and relevance because he earned it in the first place by being the most accurate predictor.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

I'm pretty sure that's right. But, is there really reliable demographic split of early voters versus on the day voters at this point? Knowing very little about US political breakdowns, I'm not sure, but purely from a sample size perspective it sounds like it would be horrifying to get a good estimate of, especially if it differs systematically between states.
Yes. It's really not easy to incorporate those at all. The demographic of early voters is not a random sample, so you can't just lump them with the usual polls.
But if they are overwhelmingly showing a lead, it's unlikely that would change.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Alan Smithee posted:

I haven't been one to take the troll bait much but just to clarify, does this include quoting a poster you disagree with and attacking their position?

You can attack arguments, not people

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Yes. It's really not easy to incorporate those at all. The demographic of early voters is not a random sample, so you can't just lump them with the usual polls.
But if they are overwhelmingly showing a lead, it's unlikely that would change.
Yes yes yes. It's important information, but not trivial to integrate.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How do you guys feel about Ohio?

https://twitter.com/JaxAlemany/status/795011817840017408

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

nachos posted:

LEST ANOTHER CLINTON ARISE...

e: Also probably a lot of it is to keep "those people" in line. I imagine a lot of the Trump campaign, shall we say, isn't very concerned about black folks in rural Michigan but are VERY concerned about black folks in Arkansas and South Carolina. For some reason.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 5, 2016

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

nachos posted:

Intimidation is an end in itself.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

nachos posted:

What's the Arkansasian opinion of the Clintons anyway? Obviously, she wont win that state, but I kind of wonder how Bill managed to become governor back in the day. Do they all claim that he stole the election and deceived the voters? I don't really know a lot about local politics of an unimportant state in a foreign country from before my birth.

Unless that is too much of a tangent. I don't want to break the rules.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 5, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

What's the Arkansasian opinion of the Clintons anyway? Obviously, she wont win that state, but I kind of wonder how Bill managed to become governor back in the day. Do they all claim that he stole the election and deceived the voters? I don't really know a lot about local politics of an unimportant state in a foreign country from before my birth.

Bill became governor before the political shift which has made the American South into a total frothing hellscape of maniacs on the electoral level had completed, I believe. Bill was an amiable guy and was something of a centrist. I actually think the anti-Clinton attack machine DID get started when he was Governor, though.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I don't know about today's view of him in retrospect, but as gov his earlier career was contentious and later he became quite popular. He lost re-election after his first term primarily for two reasons: he raised taxes (specifically licensing fees) and he got burned hard after the Mariela boatlift (think Scarface) - 300 Cubans out of the thousands kept in Arkansas camps escaped and rampaged leading to many injuries. He was re-elected in the next session and was popular because while he again raised taxes, he also brought in a ton of jobs to Arkansas. They were not high-paying jobs but unemployment went way down. Also he and Hillary worked hard to improve education and create more stringent requirements for school accreditation. I can't find any polls for the period, unfortunately.

http://www.encyclopediaofarkansas.net/encyclopedia/entry-detail.aspx?entryID=95

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
Just had a canvasser for HRC, a woman who appeared to be in her 70s, walk through my apartment complex knocking on doors to remind people to vote. This is in Arizona. Literally the first time in my entire 37 years that I have actually seen that here.

edit: she had a comprehensive list of D voters to contact.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

ReV VAdAUL posted:

A lot of the criticism Silver is getting does seem to be because he isn't telling people what they want to hear.

Just look at the way people get angry about Hillary's percentage dropping a few points after a round of bad polling - it's pretty obviously not a sober analysis of methodological flaws, it's people becoming upset at a source of anxiety inducing stimulus, just like some people lose their mind every time there's a negative news cycle for Hillary.

People want to see good news like good early voting numbers reflected in 538 because they want comfort from the terrifying possibility of a Trump presidency. They got used to using 538 as that comforting authority figure when Clinton was up hugely, and now they're feeling betrayed, they need their fix. No one gives a poo poo about the soundness of Silver's methods, no one gets emotional about minor misapplication of statistics.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

James Garfield posted:

Maybe Nate is giving some kind of meta commentary on overestimating vs. underestimating Black Swan events.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-the-campaign-is-almost-over-and-heres-where-we-stand/

538 posted:

Now that has become more apparent in the polling, and roughly a third of Trump’s 35 percent chance of victory reflects cases where he just barely gets over the hump in the Electoral College despite losing the popular vote.

Man, I just don't know. Doesn't there have to be something funky happening behind the scenes to both assume one candidate has a 1 in 3 chance of winning, but that 1 in 3 of the times he wins it's by a popular vote loss and electoral college win? Overall, the model is giving a 10% chance of the election having a popular vote and electoral college winner split.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Periodiko posted:

Just look at the way people get angry about Hillary's percentage dropping a few points after a round of bad polling - it's pretty obviously not a sober analysis of methodological flaws, it's people becoming upset at a source of anxiety inducing stimulus, just like some people lose their mind every time there's a negative news cycle for Hillary.

People want to see good news like good early voting numbers reflected in 538 because they want comfort from the terrifying possibility of a Trump presidency. They got used to using 538 as that comforting authority figure when Clinton was up hugely, and now they're feeling betrayed, they need their fix. No one gives a poo poo about the soundness of Silver's methods, no one gets emotional about minor misapplication of statistics.

While I mostly agree and admit to feel this way this last part is quite incorrect. As a statistics nerd, I feel it's my obligation and solemn duty to point at every single mathematical flaw and complain about it.
:goonsay:

Joking aside, I love chatting about polls. It really feels like I'm learning a lot of stuff, whenever I read this thread. It's really one of the more informative places on the internet.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Nov 5, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

disjoe posted:

Maybe Nate is giving some kind of meta commentary on overestimating vs. underestimating Black Swan events.
Draw the shape parameter of your t distribution out of a half t distribution

Draw the shape parameter for the half t out of Nassim Taleb's rear end

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Honestly my biggest problem with Nate isn't his maps and stuff. Sure, it's conservative. Whatever. It's the think pieces or whatever about how Trump is totally gonna win you guys! that he seems to constantly loving put out or at least tweet.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

nachos posted:

There were brown people in the room...

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

RVProfootballer posted:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/election-update-the-campaign-is-almost-over-and-heres-where-we-stand/

Man, I just don't know. Doesn't there have to be something funky happening behind the scenes to both assume one candidate has a 1 in 3 chance of winning, but that 1 in 3 of the times he wins it's by a popular vote loss and electoral college win? Overall, the model is giving a 10% chance of the election having a popular vote and electoral college winner split.
Trump is underperforming in red states, but his chances at states like Ohio are not as bad. So red states like Texas "eat" some of Clinton's margin.

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Even in 2012, 538 didn't provide any reliable source of comfort. Obama was never more than a 60% favorite for the vast majority of the race. And people panicked, totally lost their poo poo when his odds plummeted after the first Obama-Romney debate, where Romney swept the floor with him. It wasn't until the eleventh hour that it actually broke for Obama.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

berserker posted:

Just had a canvasser for HRC, a woman who appeared to be in her 70s, walk through my apartment complex knocking on doors to remind people to vote. This is in Arizona. Literally the first time in my entire 37 years that I have actually seen that here.

edit: she had a comprehensive list of D voters to contact.
Oh, but there's no evidence at all that Hillary's GOTV mechanisms are :tinsley:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

djw175 posted:

Honestly my biggest problem with Nate isn't his maps and stuff. Sure, it's conservative. Whatever. It's the think pieces or whatever about how Trump is totally gonna win you guys! that he seems to constantly loving put out or at least tweet.
He has literally never done that. You're making stuff up.

Everyone with a degree who isn't paid by Trump to say he'll win, says he'll lose.

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?

I'm not saying he does that. but theoretically it would almost double his pageviews. Republicans aren't going to watch one of several sites, which show an uninteresting loss for their team.

This is absolutely true. The design is really great, while PEC looks kind of confusing and unorganized.

I'm not saying he does that. but theoretically it would almost double his pageviews. Republicans aren't going to watch one of several sites, which show an uninteresting loss for their team.

This is absolutely true. The design is really great, while PEC looks kind of confusing and unorganized.

Disney Web Design Budget>>>> Princeton University's Web Design Budget

They make good infographs

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cingulate posted:

Trump is underperforming in red states, but his chances at states like Ohio are not as bad. So red states like Texas "eat" some of Clinton's margin.

I get the reasoning why it might be that high (and it's actually 12.6% of a popular/electoral split overall), I just don't believe it can actually be that high.

Edit: I don't have any good argument really, other than that seems absurdly high for something that very rarely happens. Every election is to some extent its own special snowflake of course, but I can't square that probability with reality.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pastrymancy posted:

Disney Web Design Budget>>>> Princeton University's Web Design Budget

They make good infographs
It's also a generational thing. Wang is a professor who uses Matlab. Nate is a Stata guy, but I'm sure is team is people in their 20s and early 30s who grew up in data science and know the value of a good plot.

I see their style. I know it. This is my people. ggplot colors, man.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Cingulate posted:

He has literally never done that. You're making stuff up.

Everyone with a degree who isn't paid by Trump to say he'll win, says he'll lose.

What he's regularly said is that it's not unlikely that Trump will win, but that it's more likely that Clinton will win, which seems completely fair.

Cingulate posted:

ggplot colors, man.

He doesn't use R though!

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

CottonWolf posted:

What he's regularly said is that it's not unlikely that Trump will win, but that it's more likely that Clinton will win, which seems completely fair.

I may have been exaggerating a bit, but the amount of times he does it and how often he did it even when Clinton was +8, he's harping on it a lot for something even his models say isn't particularly likely.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

djw175 posted:

A secret plot line of this election is Nate being ultra stressed because 538 is likely getting the ax after the election.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Actually it is quite "unlikely" that Trump wins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Nate and crew just really aren't well suited to the "multiple articles every weekday" format they're in now.

• Locked thread