Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Periodiko posted:

Why does it play during loading, it's the worst.

There's an option for no sound when the window is not in focus, that plus borderless window mode means I can just tab out while loading and not have to listen to it. But yeah, it's stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Touchdown Boy posted:

Not trying to sound contrary but I dont get the hate for the AI. Its still as poor as any AI like every other game has, but I dont have this problem everyone else seems to about keeping them happy and thm instantly wanting to kill you (except you find some AI will always war you fairly early, and almost never succeed anyway).

After you play a few games their primary concern is easy to spot. I would say the penalty should be less harsh earlier in the game than say later eras but thats easy to tweak.

For example. Cleo hates if you have no army, so either build one if shes near you, or wait for her to war you and trash hers (then get a great peace deal because the AI is dumb).

Some are more annoying like Germany hating on your for saying hi to a city state one time, but in principle its good to have computer civs that have an agenda, and much like a person, dont appreciate you messing with it too much. I think it just needs fine tuned is all. The dislike just needs to trickle in over a longer time and it would be much better.

Also if they hate you because you are winning by a mile thats sensible. My humble opinion is move up a difficulty. Even immortal is easy when you get to grips with the game a bit which is a probblem with AI warring ability more than anything.

The AI doing it's own thing doesn't really bother me. The only thing that bothers me is when you have a Declaration of Friendship or an Alliance and the AI declares war on you directly from that. An Alliance should make an AI dislike players who denounce you, and automatically declare war on AI's that declare war on you, it's a meaningless mechanic otherwise. Additionally when in an alliance they shouldn't be upset with you for moving your army around, or any of the other things.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Olive Branch posted:

Oh and the Acropolis district can only be built on hills. Not that the Civilopedia ever says anything about terrain requirements. God this versions's Civilopedia is bad and horrible with humor and explanations. They need to hire a better writer.

The game has issues, but the Acropolis very clearly can only be built on Hills, it's in the "requirements" section of the building.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It would be nice to see the details about your unique units and buildings when you click on yourself in the diplomacy bar. But for some reason they just show you a picture of it and nothing else, and you have to dig through the civilopedia.

God, the loving interface in this game is sub-undergraduate-project-level and if they fixed all the 200 little problems that permeate it on every level I would probably be content. Like why can you not sort the cities in the city report menu in any way? It's not even in alphabetical or chronological order so I have no idea how they pick the order they display in

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, wow, I never tried out religious combat yet. Defeating a rival missionary doesn't just get rid of that unit, it spreads your religion to nearby cities and removes theirs. That's fantastic. That's way better and more interesting than just spamming spreads was in Civ V.

I haven't dared risk any of my missionaries or apostles against barbarians, can they be attacked/stolen by regular combat units or are they immune?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
How does war weariness work? After a big war I was at -9 amenities from it in my capital. I finish the war, and like 8 turns later I look to see if it has faded yet and I am at -10 now. The hell?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Touchdown Boy posted:

Not trying to sound contrary but I dont get the hate for the AI. Its still as poor as any AI like every other game has, but I dont have this problem everyone else seems to about keeping them happy and thm instantly wanting to kill you (except you find some AI will always war you fairly early, and almost never succeed anyway).

After you play a few games their primary concern is easy to spot. I would say the penalty should be less harsh earlier in the game than say later eras but thats easy to tweak.

For example. Cleo hates if you have no army, so either build one if shes near you, or wait for her to war you and trash hers (then get a great peace deal because the AI is dumb).

Some are more annoying like Germany hating on your for saying hi to a city state one time, but in principle its good to have computer civs that have an agenda, and much like a person, dont appreciate you messing with it too much. I think it just needs fine tuned is all. The dislike just needs to trickle in over a longer time and it would be much better.

Also if they hate you because you are winning by a mile thats sensible. My humble opinion is move up a difficulty. Even immortal is easy when you get to grips with the game a bit which is a probblem with AI warring ability more than anything.

I don't think figuring out what is upsetting the AI is a problem, it's just that it responds to certain things in stupid ways. The most clearly-not-working-as-intended is the AI getting upset for your warmongering against joint wars they asked you to declare, but also how opaque the delegation system is is a pretty bad one (I feel like if the AI is asking to send a delegation to you and you accept, it should have basically a 100% chance to accept in return).

I also don't really see the point of having civs like China or Brazil which hate you for having lots of wonders/GPs no matter what when there is a much more intuitive way the AI could respond - it would make much more sense if AIs hated you for competing with them for the same things (does this actually happen already?) and otherwise randomised the agendas.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I would like for diplomacy to be extremely quick and not involve the slow fading in of the leader animation and then yet another slow fade of the options. It's even worse when the only button is "Goodbye"

Even though it's not faded in, the goodbye button is still 'there' and can be clicked on. Listen for it.

Speedball posted:

Oh, wow, I never tried out religious combat yet. Defeating a rival missionary doesn't just get rid of that unit, it spreads your religion to nearby cities and removes theirs. That's fantastic. That's way better and more interesting than just spamming spreads was in Civ V.

I haven't dared risk any of my missionaries or apostles against barbarians, can they be attacked/stolen by regular combat units or are they immune?

Some Apostles get a barb conversion level up, but if you don't have that or are caught out, barbs just kill them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Why is there no build queue in this game? Why is there no sorting option for trade routes? Why does it take 3 clicks and the screen jerking around just to put a spy on the same mission which you have to do every 4 turns?!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Honestly, the spy system could be so incredibly cool if they fixed the interface even slightly. You could outproduce spies and really wreck people's poo poo by sabotaging their industrial zone, stealing relics and having all your cities protected now, but just protecting my own cities with spies is so exhausting that I've stopped dealing with the hassle of spying on others.

On the other hand, it's really fun how much other Civs will trade in order to get one of their spies back from a failed mission. I always just say gently caress it, Jonathan Pollard can rot in jail, I'm just making new spies.

Is there a limit on spies you can have in this game or is it just like any other unit?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Speedball posted:

Trampling them to death with horsemen also works the same way and is extremely fun.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Why is the counterspy mission even a limited-turn thing, it really should just be indefinite until you want them to do something else.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

How does war weariness work? After a big war I was at -9 amenities from it in my capital. I finish the war, and like 8 turns later I look to see if it has faded yet and I am at -10 now. The hell?

War weariness goes down really slowly. Making a guess, you're probably looking at ~30-40 turns till that amount goes away completely. I'm not even joking :(

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Powercrazy posted:

The AI doing it's own thing doesn't really bother me. The only thing that bothers me is when you have a Declaration of Friendship or an Alliance and the AI declares war on you directly from that. An Alliance should make an AI dislike players who denounce you, and automatically declare war on AI's that declare war on you, it's a meaningless mechanic otherwise. Additionally when in an alliance they shouldn't be upset with you for moving your army around, or any of the other things.

Gotta agree with that, until such a point it 'realises' you are about to win a space victory or something and then it should probably stop you. At least in my opinion. AI should be a challenge, not a cheerleader.

I suppose the problem there is how early do you 'let' them realise and change tactics on you.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Started a game on emperor. Decided to go scout unit as my first built thing. Wandered around with my warrior, and right as the scout was about to be built I found a camp. Decided to attack the camp. After 1 attack, a horse spawned. The next turn, another... Then another... They killed my warrior and then headed straight for my capitol with my lone scout.. Needless to say, I lost. Not really sure how to counter that.

Started another game on emperor, spawned next to Trajan. He immediately denounced me for not having much territory, a few turns later he went to war with me. My scout finished a bit before his 5 warriors showed up at my capitol.

The gently caress is this poo poo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Touchdown Boy posted:

Gotta agree with that, until such a point it 'realises' you are about to win a space victory or something and then it should probably stop you. At least in my opinion. AI should be a challenge, not a cheerleader.

I suppose the problem there is how early do you 'let' them realise and change tactics on you.

Alliances automatically expire after 30 turns, so every 30 turns is a good time for them to reevaluate.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Don't build scouts first turn.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Powercrazy posted:

The game has issues, but the Acropolis very clearly can only be built on Hills, it's in the "requirements" section of the building.
See I thought they'd put that on the descriptor like every freaking Wonder you see. This Civilopedia is so badly laid out. :(

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Don't build scouts first turn.

Given that warriors take longer to build I'm not sure that would have been useful in those scenarios.

I'm thinking maybe slower speeds aren't balance just yet...

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

El Disco posted:

War weariness goes down really slowly. Making a guess, you're probably looking at ~30-40 turns till that amount goes away completely. I'm not even joking :(

Even then, it got worse after I made peace :ohdear:

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Darkrenown posted:

Even then, it got worse after I made peace :ohdear:

Are you sure a city somewhere didn't grow and require extra ammenities?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
Would that affect it? I am not talking about the total, I had -9 specifically from war weariness (not total) in my capital and that went up to -10 after peace was made:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/DarkrenownPDS/screenshot/190668859945815383

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Given that warriors take longer to build I'm not sure that would have been useful in those scenarios.

Slinger.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

Would that affect it? I am not talking about the total, I had -9 specifically from war weariness (not total) in my capital and that went up to -10 after peace was made:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/DarkrenownPDS/screenshot/190668859945815383

I have no idea. Maybe the threshold for that tenth point was hit right before the war ended and there was just a little delay in it showing up?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Warriors fortified on hill forests and across rivers etc slaughter barbarian horsemen.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I like how sometimes when you right click a unit with an artillery it uses ranged attack, while other times it drives up and now sits next to 3 knights :bravo:

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

My Germans will grow fat on wheat.

To the west there are 2 more patches of sea wheat, if you will. It's turn 9 and I have discovered 11 tiles of wheat.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Darkrenown posted:

I like how sometimes when you right click a unit with an artillery it uses ranged attack, while other times it drives up and now sits next to 3 knights :bravo:

im guessing line of sight was hosed up and it wanted to move closer

use 'r' for ranged attacks (why the hell did they change it from 'b'?)

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

uPen posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an AI city without walls, maybe some lovely city state on like turn 10.

Playing on Prince the AI had three cities without walls (another Civs capital, a captured city state, and a recently founded city. Their only city with walls was their capital. The second Civ I'm invading is so far 0/2 on having walls. Could be a difficulty thing though.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

gently caress that poo poo with a rusty spoon.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Some starts are bullshit and you are hosed. The AI is bullshit and retarded too. Focus on getting warriors, archers, and walls to survive until you can simcity. If you can't, just restart by quitting out to the main menu and redoing all of your settings lmao.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Fryhtaning posted:

gently caress that poo poo with a rusty spoon.

Yeah I blame the UI for making it look like you can shoot when there's a hill in the way.

:haw: "That unit is in range of your archer..."

"Ok then I'll attack and hey what the gently caress why did it move?!"

:haw: "...if your archer moves one tile forward."

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Darkrenown posted:

You might be at war with a city-state still. They're so completely useless you can easily be at war with one forever without ever noticing.

Also I've come to the conclusion that trading starting locations is a huge mistake, stealing an AI settler or three and them not knowing where you are to counterattack with 8 million warriors is amazing. Always say gently caress off to the ai unless they're doing the one where they'll show you one of their cities for free.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

El Disco posted:

Yeah I blame the UI for making it look like you can shoot when there's a hill in the way.

:haw: "That unit is in range of your archer..."

"Ok then I'll attack and hey what the gently caress why did it move?!"

:haw: "...if your archer moves one tile forward."

It would help if you could tell where the hills were.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I figured out how to make the game spawn all the natural wonders available each map... Well, kinda, it seems there might be a limit. In my testing though, it has become apparent that if you are playing a Huge size map you will never ever see Great Barrier Reef or Galapagos. For some reason those are disabled on Huge.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

I figured out how to make the game spawn all the natural wonders available each map... Well, kinda, it seems there might be a limit. In my testing though, it has become apparent that if you are playing a Huge size map you will never ever see Great Barrier Reef or Galapagos. For some reason those are disabled on Huge.

If true, I'm going to guess that is because of some really weird math for putting them one tile away from land., and that math doesn't scale to a huge map for some reason.

Sounds unrealistic, but let us remember that they never figured out how to place Krakatoa in V. (Modders did though)

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

The Human Crouton posted:

If true, I'm going to guess that is because of some really weird math for putting them one tile away from land., and that math doesn't scale to a huge map for some reason.

Sounds unrealistic, but let us remember that they never figured out how to place Krakatoa in V. (Modders did though)

Try it yourself I guess. Grab the mod that lets you restart from the menu, edit "AppOptions.txt" in your documents/games/Civ6 folder to enable debug menu. Then just restart/reveal all over and over. You'll never see those on Huge.

(If you want to play with all the wonders spawning go to Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets\Maps\Utility\ and edit NaturalWonderGenerator.lua. This line in particular will try to force all of them to spawn:
function NaturalWonderGenerator:__PlaceWonders()
local j = 0;

It's a loop controlled by j, so if you make j = -20 or something, it'll try to loop as often as possible regardless of the map generator rng.)

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

I haven't haven't seen Torres Del Paine at all... edit: wait nvm yes I have.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Olive Branch posted:

Yesterday I fired up a regular small game as Pericles. My immediate neighbour was... Pericles.

I think the dual leader system for Greece means that the game chooses a civilization to fill the random civ spot, but then rolls for a leader (rather than just randomly rolling for a leader) but it doesn't exclude your own.

I went for a cultural win after destroying him and got the selfie achievement so hooray.

Oh and the Acropolis district can only be built on hills. Not that the Civilopedia ever says anything about terrain requirements. God this versions's Civilopedia is bad and horrible with humor and explanations. They need to hire a better writer.

NOPE! That's not how it works. Pericles and Gorgo are completely separate civs in the game files. Literally entirely different entries in the game files, even if 3/4ths of the information is just copy+pasted. Behind the scenes the leaders are welded to their civs just like they were in Civ V.

So what happened is you rolled Pericles, and the game randomly rolled Pericles. The game simply doesn't have a check for identical players, at least between player and AI, or at most it's merely weighted against such an outcome but not a guaranteed thing.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Acropolis is fairly well marked. In my own Greek game I was not at all surprised by its hill requirement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

FWIW the only time I've seen a duplicate ruler is when I was Pericles and I found another Pericles who used Gorgo's city namelist and border colour scheme. Most other accounts of "duplicate" rulers are caused by the bug that uses your ruler model whenever you enter diplomacy with a Civ you haven't discovered yet.