Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

RealFoxy posted:

rebuild their whole roster around Pobelter

:gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
After being relegated to wave clear mages on two different teams it's finally Eugene's time to shine

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Pobelter is good and I have no problem with building a roster around him. The problem is how do you replace Huni/Reignover, who are a dominant enough duo to take basically any pro team into playoffs in most regions not called LCK.

e:

How has this not been posted yet

https://twitter.com/MonteCristo/status/794444528866365440

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Nov 4, 2016

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy
You replace Huni by picking up a top laner who is capable of clicking on a tank in champion select. Huni is absolutely capable of carrying against a lot of teams but as soon as he runs into one he can't snowball on, he becomes an enormous liability who can't play anything with utility and makes awful decisions about split pushing.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Your options are either
A) pick up a NA top. Of all of the positions, NA may have the hardest time producing a quality top. You can maybe make a case for mid, but I'm making it for top.
B) import someone who can speak English
C) pick up a literal world champion top laner who can hold his own without communicating.

I think that you can gauge a team/region's coaching by the quality of their top laner. You're not going to play the low econ tank style in solo queue, and you certainly weren't going to play lane swaps in solo queue, so it would fall directly on your support staff to ingrain that in you.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Luna Was Here posted:

forg1ven is a free agent, TSM has an import slot and an open ADC slot and regi has infinite esports money

Is he ever going to the army at this point?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Frankly, if I were FORG1VEN at this moment in history, I would do everything in my power possible to avoid having to serve in the Greek army.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
i wonder why people keep ??? about kkoma putting in blank at various times. it hasn't let him down, so? obviously he knows what he's doing even if you don't.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Having one position on your team where you have 2 players who play completely different styles and can be subbed out at a draft's notice for the other must completely gently caress with another team's pre-game strategy and force them to do two entirely different game plans if they want to win. It's a huge advantage. Regardless of whether it is Easyhoon/Faker or Blank/Bengi. I'm very surprised there aren't more teams that attempt this. Like you could put Huni on the same team with someone who is a flexible utility player like Quas and you would probably have a much more difficult time drafting against that hypothetical lineup even if the skill threshold is lower.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

LZIM tried a similar strategy where they had three subs and instead of confusing the other team they just confused themselves and lost a lot of games with an elite roster.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

NSFL

Max Coveri posted:

Is he ever going to the army at this point?

I think in the Greek army there's some way to get pardoned from your service that (I think) consists of "have you not lived in Greece for the last year"or something and I'm fairly certain he qualified for it. However that statement was based off of a Reddit post I remember reading a while ago so take it with a grain of salt

stump collector
May 28, 2007
probably pledged to bring the golden dawn to the rift. if h2k picked leona i'm sure they would've won worlds

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

rabidsquid posted:

LZIM tried a similar strategy where they had three subs and instead of confusing the other team they just confused themselves and lost a lot of games with an elite roster.

Yeah that's too many moving parts because then you don't know how the maximum iterations of your lineup even function together.

Having one sub in one position means you have 2 lineups and you can scrim with those two lineups and develop different strategies.

Having three subs in three positions means you have like what 8? lineups or something and you'll never actually develop your own.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

that loving team liquid video my god locodoco is a loving AWFUL coach.

to piglet, with the entire team in the room: I think you should be more revered and your opinion should have more weight.

lo loving l

https://twitter.com/dril/status/516183352106577920

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Libertine posted:

Yeah that's too many moving parts because then you don't know how the maximum iterations of your lineup even function together.

Having one sub in one position means you have 2 lineups and you can scrim with those two lineups and develop different strategies.

Having three subs in three positions means you have like what 8? lineups or something and you'll never actually develop your own.

I wonder if doing lines a la hockey could make a 10 man roster work better than treating it like every combination of 10 different players. Top Half 1, 2, Bot Lane 1, 2. Of course, this would involve someone actually using something completely untested and have to get a handful of player that work well together and can handle the idea of working with two different sets of players on the opposite side.

It's still more steady than LZIM's attempt and would only give 4 combined lineups.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I would say no because it sounds like teams are short on scrim time and you wouldn't have enough players to run in house scrims like pro sports teams use scout teams.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Longzhu is nothing but another Chinese-made glass case to hold Flame in for one more split

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
free flame, also someone find maknoon

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Dyrus is live right now on the analyst desk of OW's Blizzcon cup, DOA and Montecristo were here a few minutes ago and should cast the next games I think, because the matchup is NA vs KR. Also Deman was here.
Fun to see them outside of their comfort zone.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

mirrorquiz posted:

free flame, also someone find maknoon

Shouldn't be too hard he streams on twitch all the time.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
South Korea claimed a stranglehold on another e-sport today by winning the Overwatch World Cup without dropping a single map. There is no escape (except maybe Hearthstone if che0nsu loses).

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
CS:GO

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Do they even play CS:GO ? It's been EU/NA territory as far as I know

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
No they do not

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

DOTA

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Zanael posted:

Do they even play CS:GO ? It's been EU/NA territory as far as I know

There's a few professional teams like MVP these days, but they haven't really done anything noteworthy.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

They're getting better. MVP.Phoenix took 5th-6th place this year at TI6

Smol posted:

There's a few professional teams like MVP these days, but they haven't really done anything noteworthy.

I wasn't even aware that MVP had a CS:GO team, the only non-Russian Asian team to have made any sort of western splash was Tyloo, like once or twice, and they haven't been heard from since

stump collector
May 28, 2007
its been pretty difficult for asian countries to get the right visas to compete in csgo competitions, tyloo should be playing a lot of events in 2017. unfortunately they usually have god awful T sides

also a ton of people play crossfire, which is pretty similar to cs 1.6 and runs fine on lovely computers. csgo requires a decent computer to play on. i think more chinese players will pick up csgo since they're supposedly going to do a region specific port for chinese csgo

stump collector fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 5, 2016

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

S. Korea doesn't even have a Dota 2 server lol

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010
Korea apparently just lost a series against Fnatic in some game called heroes of the storms ??

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

The Korean Overlords have fallen to the hands of EU's Fnatic in the exciting and very competitive game Heroes of the Strom
(kiss HotS players, I kinda like the game)

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
Watching a single game of Overwatch with Monte and DoA and this really sucks and is messy. This is like not a spectator sport by any stretch. I think they probably hosed up here by burning their bridges

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
DoA and Monte still plan on casting League afaik, just not for Riot Games. So until Riot tries to sell rights away from OGN again (Which I think will probably happen again soon) they're still in it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Monte keeps talking about how League is dead and Overwatch is the future of esports, which you would have to be nuts to believe. Overwatch is not a good spectator game.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Servaetes posted:

Watching a single game of Overwatch with Monte and DoA and this really sucks and is messy. This is like not a spectator sport by any stretch. I think they probably hosed up here by burning their bridges

hot take: Monte will be happier and less employed.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

People like that are never happy

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

rabidsquid posted:

Monte keeps talking about how League is dead and Overwatch is the future of esports, which you would have to be nuts to believe. Overwatch is not a good spectator game.

I tried watching a bit of it last night and was so happy when some rounds had these establishing wide shots that actually made the game slightly legible to a non-fan, but had that joy ripped from me as it quickly moved to first person view and nothing really made sense after that except when the casters directly explained what just happened

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Watching Overwatch is how I imagine seeing other esports is like for the average person who doesn't play video games.

I'm told that if you play the game it's possible to understand what's happening, but even if that's true there's still an inherent "can't see poo poo" factor. Even though League is still unavoidably impenetrable for someone unfamiliar, Riot has done a good job of at least making it clear when a player is pressing buttons as opposed to things seemingly randomly blowing up everywhere.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jenny Angel posted:

I tried watching a bit of it last night and was so happy when some rounds had these establishing wide shots that actually made the game slightly legible to a non-fan, but had that joy ripped from me as it quickly moved to first person view and nothing really made sense after that except when the casters directly explained what just happened

Monte actually has hosed up a lot in his casting in Overwatch too, which makes relying on the casters not great

Redmark posted:

Watching Overwatch is how I imagine seeing other esports is like for the average person who doesn't play video games.

I'm told that if you play the game it's possible to understand what's happening, but even if that's true there's still an inherent "can't see poo poo" factor. Even though League is still unavoidably impenetrable for someone unfamiliar, Riot has done a good job of at least making it clear when a player is pressing buttons as opposed to things seemingly randomly blowing up everywhere.

Overwatch has zero downtime, even if you know how to play it's not great

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Zanael posted:

The Korean Overlords have fallen to the hands of EU's Fnatic in the exciting and very competitive game Heroes of the Strom
(kiss HotS players, I kinda like the game)

I thought I saw poor old Artosis on the analyst desk during a commercial HotS. Hope he's doing okay.

Redmark posted:

I remember Blizzard saying in pre-release that it was never really designed with eSports in mind - the scene grew organically. That means, however, that the game's always going to be inherently saddled with poor readability when you're not directly involved in playing it. The fast pace of fights and 6v6 format also doesn't lend itself well to watching, since it's impossible for the observers to catch every bit of action, and it's not uncommon for someone to just get blapped by a McCree from halfway across the map without much room for commentary. Team fights in League can occasionally get messy, but it's possible to parse them and understand what's going on quite easily.

Overwatch is also missing one of League's key advantages as a spectator sport: strategic considerations. The battle for vision control, the countdown to objectives, tower dives, split pushes, built up minion waves, back timings, etc. give the game a much more even pace than Overwatch. Even very tense and exciting games like SKT vs. SSG game 3 have periods where the teams are all attempting to gain some kind of advantage for themselves that doesn't involve fighting nonstop. In Overwatch, however, every second you're not throwing out bullets is a second where you're not gaining all-important ult charge. The game actively encourages you to fight as frequently as possible, and while that makes it exciting to play in solo queue, it makes it a hellish morass of back-to-back-to-back skirmishes and then teamfights once sufficient ults are built up. There's rarely any big surprises or risky decisions that teams can make, and the limited (not merely by time, but, I believe, by necessity) hero pool means that the games usually end up looking and playing out more-or-less the same at the top of the professional tier every map. The loss of even a single member usually stopping pushes and the nature of ult charge also encourages teams to take the least riskiest and safest possible method of play, which is grouping up behind a Reinhardt shield as you build up ult charge.

While seeing the mechanical skill of guys like Shadowburn or IDDQD is impressive, there's only brief flashes of that in the average game. It's one of those cases where I'd much rather watch a highlight reel, rather than sitting through ten teamfights for the one or two ridiculously good shots people make.

• Locked thread