Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
No matter how far we evolve as a society, democracy is still full of poo poo-slinging madness. The only difference is we let our surrogates call the opponent the son of a whore now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
The fact that the leader (heh) of the GOP is :derp:ing this hard in the closing days of the election lends support to the idea that RNC internal polling suggests a blowout and possible loss of the House.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

How are u posted:

I'm canvassing 40 hours a week in Michigan, good work friend :hf:

Let's wrap this poo poo up and kick Trump into the gutter in which he belongs.

gently caress yeah. :respek:

I wish I could do it full time, but I'm starting a new job on Monday and I can only phone bank in the evenings.

But I'll be there. The Bad Hombre rides again. :clint:

E: Canvassing and phone banking are great ahti-Arzying (auto-corrected to anti-anxiety :lol:) measures because you know you've done your part for Democracy.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Nov 6, 2016

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Part of me wishes I was American. You guys still have hope.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Kilroy posted:

The fact that the leader (heh) of the GOP is :derp:ing this hard in the closing days of the election lends support to the idea that RNC internal polling suggests a blowout and possible loss of the House.

I still really doubt the House is in play but its still nice to see them squirm.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Kilroy posted:

it's good to dream, friend
just how big of blowout would that even have to be? i think someone said ten points?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Blurred posted:

On the latest 538 podcast, they said Latino early voting is up:

25% in Nevada and Colorado
60% in North Carolina
100% in Florida

:eyepop:

Thank you Donald

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:

Kilroy posted:

Alternatively, they're seeing a tightening race like everyone else and a possible path to victory via the Midwest, which helped convince Ryan to drop his opposition.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Good thing dumbass progressives gave them money for postage....

sumie
Mar 29, 2006
GUERNSEY (adj.)

Queasy but umbowed. The kind of feeling one gets when discovering a
plastic compartment in a fridge in which thing are growing.

Kilroy posted:

I'd hope so, but it could just be that we're witnessing Ryan giving up what remained of his spine

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016

AriadneThread posted:

it's good to dream, friend
just how big of blowout would that even have to be? i think someone said ten points?

Seven or eight, I think it becomes do-able, I remember Nate Silver saying.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Josef bugman posted:

It takes the hopeful to help the hopeless see a future. 💪

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

Bloops Crusts posted:

Seven or eight, I think it becomes do-able, I remember Nate Silver saying.

Less than that if the makeup or tendencies of the electorate changes, thanks to GOP Gerrymandering. For instance, if white suburban women were to abandon the GOP for some reason this election, and we saw a spike in Hispanic voters.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Blurred posted:

On the latest 538 podcast, they said Latino early voting is up:

25% in Nevada and Colorado
60% in North Carolina
100% in Florida

:eyepop:

LV screens are getting turbofucked this cycle. In 2020 all polls will be presented with filtering options so you can see results based on 2004, 2008, and 2016 electorates

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
If we've already got our Arzying and trolling quota reached, I'd like to volunteer for providing voices of hope and inspiration here in DnD. :)

We're going to see Hillary win, the first female American President in history. Sanders has successfully pulled Hillary to the left; especially on issues of free trade agreements, minimum wage, public higher education costs and loan refinancing, and more. She will appoint a leftist Supreme Court Justice and reverse Citizens United.

She will do all this and more.

We can fight and argue Hillary on things like Israel or whatever after we humiliate an outright fascist mysognist baby-handed orange gremlin. Dump his rear end in the dustbin of history, then we can move on to a brighter future!

I'm fighting here in Ohio. What about you?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Nov 6, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Geoff Peterson posted:

Less than that if the makeup or tendencies of the electorate changes, thanks to GOP Gerrymandering. For instance, if white suburban women were to abandon the GOP for some reason this election, and we saw a spike in Hispanic voters.
But why would white suburban women abandon a master persuader like Donald?

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Nessus posted:

But why would white suburban women abandon a master persuader like Donald?

Something about him just doesn't grab them.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Geoff Peterson posted:

:dance:

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Knocked on about 50 doors today in Cleveland, talked to about 30 people, everyone's already voted or will vote on Tuesday for :abuela:

:getin:

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

If we've already got our Arzying and trolling quota reached, I'd like to volunteer for providing voices of hope and inspiration here in DnD. :)

We're going to see Hillary win, the first female American President in history. Sanders has successfully pulled Hillary to the left; especially on issues of free trade agreements, minimum wage, public higher education costs and loan refinancing, and more. She will appoint a leftist Supreme Court Justice and reverse Citizens United.

She will do all this and more.

We can fight and argue Hillary on things like Israel or whatever after we humiliate an outright fascist mysognist baby-handed orange gremlin. Dump his rear end in the dustbin of history, then we can move on to a brighter future!

You're doing God's work. I'm just a German guy cheering you on.

cyphr555 posted:

Knocked on about 50 doors today in Cleveland, talked to about 30 people, everyone's already voted or will vote on Tuesday for :abuela:

:getin:
cheer cheer cheer

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Also, the difference I've noticed in my motivation for volunteering for GOTV between 2012 and now in 2016:

2012: Fear that Obama and the American people could have the rug swept from underneath them by a swindling, empty-suit Republican and his prick of a VP choice (gently caress you, Paul Ryan! :argh:).

2016: Personal hatred and desire to humiliate a thin-skinned fascist clown and sexual assaulter. Also pragmatic measure and gradual transition of heart-felt support from Sanders to Hillary. Pence also sucks and is from Indiana, so I need to one-up Indiana as an Ohioan for marginal smugness.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Also, the difference I've noticed in my motivation for volunteering for GOTV between 2012 and now in 2016:

2012: Fear that Obama and the American people could have the rug swept from underneath them by a swindling, empty-suit Republican and his prick of a VP choice (gently caress you, Paul Ryan! :argh:).

2016: Personal hatred and desire to humiliate a thin-skinned fascist clown and sexual assaulter. Also pragmatic measure and gradual transition of heart-felt support from Sanders to Hillary. Pence also sucks and is from Indiana, so I need to one-up Indiana as an Ohioan for marginal smugness.

I canvassed for Obama in 08 (primary and general) because I believed in him.

I canvassed for Obama in 12 because I was furious about Romney going on tv and looking all :smug: about the death of Vilerat.

I've been really busy at work so I haven't had any chance to go canvassing but I'm hoping to make it out at least on Election Day and continue my streak.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Uh is he coked out of his mind. Cause this is what it seems like you replace his words with a pitch about a screenplay by someone you don't know at 2am at a LA late night spot who accidently mistakes you for a network executive and it's basically this.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

axeil posted:

I canvassed for Obama in 08 (primary and general) because I believed in him.

I canvassed for Obama in 12 because I was furious about Romney going on tv and looking all :smug: about the death of Vilerat.

I've been really busy at work so I haven't had any chance to go canvassing but I'm hoping to make it out at least on Election Day and continue my streak.

Yeah, Romney being :smug: about Vilerat pissed me off and was right about when I felt enough was enough and started working full time canvassing in late August (early September?) of that year. That was a major emotional factor for me as a veteran Goon and one-time EvE Online player, but it was mostly the pragmatic desire to stop empty-suit Republicans.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Another sign Clinton's poised to win Nevada: Trump's pre-emptively whining about it being rigged

https://twitter.com/kevcirilli/status/795061237029556225

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

Americans are a hopeful people. The liberals hope we can make a more equal society, and the conservatives are okay with screwing over the poor because they hope that one day they will be rich.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Canvassers are the foot soldiers of Democracy.

Phonebankers are the support crew, and nice people who drop off food and drinks are healers.

Donators are Patreon Kickstarters and Greenlight Early Access contributors.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

thetoughestbean posted:

Americans are a hopeful people. The liberals hope we can make a more equal society, and the conservatives are okay with screwing over the poor because they hope that one day they will be rich.

The Europeans fought the Nazis out of survival, the Americans fought the Nazis because the Japanese spit in our eye and we wanted to show them Japs and Krauts what fer! :argh:

There's a reason Inglorious Basterds was made as it was by an American director.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Isn't it normal practice for voting locations to just stop letting people into line at the time they're supposed to close but stay open as long as it takes for everyone remaining in line to vote? Isn't that what happened in Nevada yesterday?

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Saturday Night Canvass Crew: Hope is the Truth and Everything Matters

Pakled posted:

Isn't it normal practice for voting locations to just stop letting people into line at the time they're supposed to close but stay open as long as it takes for everyone remaining in line to vote? Isn't that what happened in Nevada yesterday?

It is. People seem to forget that every single year.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Pakled posted:

I mean, pretty much. But, y'know, Trump and his followers hate the idea of an active democracy.

EDIT: The lines wouldn't be so drat long if we had more places for people to vote, but Republican Governors don't exactly agree with minorities voting.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Pakled posted:

IIRC, yes, but in Chicago there have been lines long enough that people have pretty much sneaked in because it was like 400+ people waiting in line outside.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I'd love to see some flimsy evidence that later hours in the day favors scarequotes Democrats when the hard working real americans get to the polls bright and early.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

i thought washington was one of the states with laws against faithless electors? although i suppose i'm not really sure what 'laws against faithless electors' actually entails if you can't compel them to vote a certain way

It does have a law that punishes faithless electors, but the punishment is a $1000 fine. At least one of these electors has said they're willing to pay that.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/nielslesniewski/status/795068979970768896

Woah

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

True Blue Triumph posted:

Hey guys and gals. I might be a steadfast lurker, but I just wanted to let you all know that I (and I think I can speak for many of the lurkers) love you all and I appreciate the wonderful posting you all do. You guys have been my morning news, my lunch break catch-up, and my evening tethering for the last 18 months, and I wouldn't trade you all for the world, as we ride out the end of this crazy train. Seriously, in spite of all this madness, this is the best political forum on the internet.

...just maybe please quote the loons on my ignore list less often.

Seconding this, and so glad election chat is back. I've learned more about US politics from following D&D than anywhere else either in print or online.

For content, did the Trump campaign's Facebook strategy get discussed? Apparently Facebook is really good at very precisely targeting people with advertising now, and they've had ads both aimed at getting right-wing assholes to donate, and at African Americans in swing states to get them not to vote. (ugh)

http://adage.com/article/campaign-trail/trump-camp-rnc-facebook-ad-onslaught-brought-donors/306003/
http://www.theverge.com/2016/10/27/13434246/donald-trump-targeted-dark-facebook-ads-black-voters

I mean, there's been a lot of discussion on how the Trump campaign has been massively under-spending on TV ads, but could this kind of strategy make up for that? I feel like Facebook might have greater penetration than TV these days.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The Secret Service just rushed Trump off a stage. Trump supporters are shoving media members around. Okay then.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

AriadneThread posted:

i thought washington was one of the states with laws against faithless electors? although i suppose i'm not really sure what 'laws against faithless electors' actually entails if you can't compel them to vote a certain way

Yes it does, and it will likely be ruled unconstitutional in the courts. You cannot force an elector to vote in a specific way because that violates the 1st Amendment right to free speech and/or freedom of association. The party is free to administratively sanction them, but the state and federal governments themselves cannot make it illegal.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hey, Trump's got himself a celebrity surrogate:

https://twitter.com/SopanDeb/status/795067973320855552

Also, I hate these people so much.

https://twitter.com/briantashman/status/795064216382279680

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Your Boy Fancy posted:

No matter how far we evolve as a society, democracy is still full of poo poo-slinging madness. The only difference is we let our surrogates call the opponent the son of a whore now.

By 2028 US political discourse will be the two candidates just standing there and shout calling each other paedophile.

• Locked thread