Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Fat Turkey posted:

Lost Legion has come in the post so I'm probably going to start building the Mage Knight insert, and it struck me for this and other games I should order a lot of baggies.

What size baggies do people recommend? I never even realised there was such choice, but probably going to order enough to bag up Mage Knight, Tash Kalar, Twilight Struggle and anything else I can use them on at the end.

I like 3x5. Perfect size for most decks of cards and tokens. Not too big, not too small. You only have problems with really big decks or really big cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!

burger time posted:

I like 3x5. Perfect size for most decks of cards and tokens. Not too big, not too small. You only have problems with really big decks or really big cards.

I felt 3*5 or 4*6, btu wasn't sure, thanks. Will buy a few to test them out, thank you!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm back from the void. I have 300 pages of thread on which to catch up.

You know Tony Stark in Iron Man 3? That's been me, but instead of suits, games. You're all gonna love my Mk42, though.

system_CRASH is a 2-10 player hacker fighting game. When I say "hacker fighting game," what I mean to say is that it's a fighting game with no screen where you play as hackers. It took me a month to even figure out how to write the elevator pitch for this monstrosity. It's real-time, but it has turns. It's turn-based, but you can take your turn anytime you want (including simultaneously with other players). It's a social game with no discussion. It's a team game but you can betray your team. It's a deduction game where what you find out makes you a liability.

I need playtesters, is what I'm saying. It's feature-complete, but there are some rough edges in the 6-10 player area that I'd like to see ironed out before I start hammering out review copies. Anybody wanna try?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Broken Loose posted:

You know Tony Stark in Iron Man 3? That's been me, but instead of suits, games. You're all gonna love my Mk42, though.

system_CRASH is a 2-10 player hacker fighting game. When I say "hacker fighting game," what I mean to say is that it's a fighting game with no screen where you play as hackers. It took me a month to even figure out how to write the elevator pitch for this monstrosity. It's real-time, but it has turns. It's turn-based, but you can take your turn anytime you want (including simultaneously with other players). It's a social game with no discussion. It's a team game but you can betray your team. It's a deduction game where what you find out makes you a liability.

I need playtesters, is what I'm saying. It's feature-complete, but there are some rough edges in the 6-10 player area that I'd like to see ironed out before I start hammering out review copies. Anybody wanna try?
*raises paw*

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Well this sounds like it could never work. Sure, put me in coach.

(so how's final attack)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
I'd play test that.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
Oh-- I forgot to mention, the length is a maximum of X-1 minutes, where X is the number of players. It's not out of the ordinary for the game to be around a minute, though.

The minimum length of the game? I had a round once where we started the countdown timer to begin the game, and then all 4 players instantly went at the same time, starting with my brother who killed the rest of us.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Gutter Owl posted:

:toot: HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME, MOTHERFUCKERS. :toot:

Congrats!

What a time to check the thread. Welcome back! Hell yes i'll try this!!

E: skimmed the post, i can't get 6-10 together anytime soon (like maybe january)

Fellis fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 6, 2016

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I might be! I like new things and could get 6+ together for the right game. I'd want to read the rules first though to see if it's my thing; if it's not it probably wouldn't be fair to take on playtesting it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Broken Loose posted:

My group has

A) usually 6-8 players
but
B) does not typically like simultaneous action
but
C) likes social deduction

I'd be welcome to at least try to convince them to give this a shot, but no guarantees

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

We missed you Broken Loose. How is testing going to work? If it's pnp I'll give it a whirl.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Gutter Owl posted:

Well this sounds like it could never work. Sure, put me in coach.

(so how's final attack)

FA! is still on hold. The goal of my hermitage was to design a game that was fast, quick to learn, kind of wacky, and easy to market. Of the 30 or so games I've shat out in the last few months, only 3 really hit the golden ratio of all those things enough for me to want to release them. Not to say the other games were bad; they just lacked in areas.

A few examples of other poo poo:
Stall*Mart, a game about a man going to the store and buying groceries. 1 player is playing the man and attempting to enter the store, buy groceries, and leave. 1 player is playing the groceries, which populate the store shelves and are attempting to be purchased or stolen. 1 player is playing the store, which is trying to remain open until they make a specific amount of money. 1 player is playing the employees, a group of worker pawns who are trying to close the store so they can go home. Finally, 1 player is playing traffic, as a concept, and their goal is to completely halt all game actions for an entire round.

Mom And Dad Are Coming, a quirky card game where all the players are siblings waging perpetual war in a house that is in dire need of cleaning. You can do chores for points, goof off to gain resources, or get into fights which break things and create more work for your opponents. There's also lying; lots of it.

Here Goes Nothing, an even quirkier language game where all the players have a single word to a grammatically correct sentence, and the goal is to be the first to say the sentence. This one came really close to being The One.

dishwasherlove posted:

We missed you Broken Loose. How is testing going to work? If it's pnp I'll give it a whirl.

I missed you, too! I also had a bunch of tournaments over the summer (and I'm pretty sure at least somebody caught the livestreams), but I always bring my board games with me :)

PNP. Uh....

You'll need 10 blue poker chips, 10 red poker chips, cardstock (to print 30 Dominion-sized cards and 10 jewel case inserts), 10 dry erase markers, and 10 empty CD jewel cases for the PNP version. Also, you can play it without a countdown timer, but holy poo poo does having one help.

The other best way to describe the game is "Kirby Samurai Dry Erase Investigation And Also Murder Simulator."

Mister Sinewave posted:

I might be! I like new things and could get 6+ together for the right game. I'd want to read the rules first though to see if it's my thing; if it's not it probably wouldn't be fair to take on playtesting it.

I think it would be MORE fair, actually!

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 6, 2016

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
arglebargle

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
More fair to the game sure, but to me not so much :mrgw:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
PM me the game stuff, I actually have a pretty reliable group to play with these days

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Welcome back BLoose! I can try getting a bunch of people together for playtesting (there's a bunch of people at the games club who've been helping playtest for a local designer so I can see if they'd be up for it), PM me the info.

I look forward to seeing Final Attack make a comeback sometime!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Played a couple games today.

Clank!: Boring market row deckbuilder. The Clank mechanism would have been interesting if it were a catch up mechanism, but it seemed more of a risk/reward mechanism instead. But the risks themselves were also luck-based, so it either added this push-your-luck element to a deckbuilder or it just didn't matter at all, since the end effect was all or nothing (death). I dunno, I wasn't really feeling it that much.

Terraforming Mars
: I'm biased against it because we played with the advanced corps, but for some reason didn't draft. One of the players was also one of "those types" who didn't plan ahead on their own turn, opting instead to calculate what they were going to do on their turn instead. It was mostly out of desperation for a group of 4 that he was invited, and I think we're not going to invite him again. But anyway, the game seemed like trash without the draft, since those advanced corps had very specific strategies to favor. Mine, for example, got bonuses on Titanium, but I literally never drew a single Titanium increasing resource. I imagine in another dimension, some parallel world me lamented having all the titanium in the world, but without the cards to spend it on. It really echoed all the worst parts of Race for the Galaxy that I loathed, like having an early game strategy not be supported by late game cards, but without the benefit of something like a high cost card to anchor it all on or Explore cards to draw more, in hopes of getting it. It was a pretty miserable couple hours since it felt so goddamn random. Play with the draft variant!

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Broken Loose posted:

I've got two gaming groups I hang out with if you wanna PM me the info.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Fat Turkey posted:

What size baggies do people recommend?

I have both 3x4 and 4x6 and together they work great. 3x4 gets tokens and small cards, 4x6 gets all the rest. I like using the smallest bag possible for each set of components.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Broken Loose posted:

I am probably going to boardgame and drink my way through election day gimme dat poo poo

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Broken Loose posted:

Great to see you back here. I'd volunteer, but I'm not in any position to PnP anything right now. I'm intrigued if nothing else though.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Broken Loose posted:

Stall*Mart, a game about a man going to the store and buying groceries. 1 player is playing the man and attempting to enter the store, buy groceries, and leave. 1 player is playing the groceries, which populate the store shelves and are attempting to be purchased or stolen. 1 player is playing the store, which is trying to remain open until they make a specific amount of money. 1 player is playing the employees, a group of worker pawns who are trying to close the store so they can go home. Finally, 1 player is playing traffic, as a concept, and their goal is to completely halt all game actions for an entire round.

This reminds me of Vast: The Crystal Caverns but even more absurd and I really want to try it now.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

EvilChameleon posted:

This reminds me of Vast: The Crystal Caverns but even more absurd and I really want to try it now.

Yeah, it's basically an absurdist comedy version of Vast but even more asymmetric somehow.

Everybody who volunteered, thank you; you'll get PMs with the kit tonight.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
I'm finally getting a chance to play Mechs vs Minions tomorrow with friends! Anything to look out for as we read the rules and do the tutorial? I've only took a peek to make sure nothing looked obviously out of place and waiting to do the full unboxing with the group.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

RoboCicero posted:

I'm finally getting a chance to play Mechs vs Minions tomorrow with friends! Anything to look out for as we read the rules and do the tutorial? I've only took a peek to make sure nothing looked obviously out of place and waiting to do the full unboxing with the group.

Nope. it's one of those "each time you play it they add more mechanics and explain how they work" games.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Nope. it's one of those "each time you play it they add more mechanics and explain how they work" games.

...you mean Legacy?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Broken Loose posted:

Welcome back! I'll catch you up. We all agreed that Vlaada is overrated and the best games are Talisman, Cosmic Encounter and Machi Koro in that order.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Broken Loose posted:

I have exactly 6 players in my group, so I can try and help.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

silvergoose posted:

...you mean Legacy?

No, there's nothing you do that can't be undone.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

silvergoose posted:

...you mean Legacy?

Legacy games do that by having you fulfill certain objectives first (first player to use a nuke, failing to cure X disease etc).

MvM and some others like Legends of Andor don't assume someone has read the rules before you play. The setup for mission 1 teaches you to play mission 1. Mission 2 adds more mechanics regardless of the outcome of mission 1, etc.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

silvergoose posted:

...you mean Legacy?

That might be more accurately called "Campaign." "Legacy" includes some sort of destruction or permanent change to components.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Bloose! Thread wasn't the same without you. Wb.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Has anyone tried out the new Ted Alspach game Colony? I liked both Suburbia and Castles so I'm tempted to buy it just on pedigree.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

PerniciousKnid posted:

Welcome back! I'll catch you up. We all agreed that Vlaada is overrated and the best games are Talisman, Cosmic Encounter and Machi Koro in that order.

What the gently caress

*types gigantic essay on how the top 3 are really Dead of Winter, Munchkin, and Arkham Horror*

Hauki
May 11, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

Played a couple games today.

Clank!: Boring market row deckbuilder. The Clank mechanism would have been interesting if it were a catch up mechanism, but it seemed more of a risk/reward mechanism instead. But the risks themselves were also luck-based, so it either added this push-your-luck element to a deckbuilder or it just didn't matter at all, since the end effect was all or nothing (death). I dunno, I wasn't really feeling it that much.

I had like three separate people try to push this on me today and their descriptions each made me suspicious of it, so I guess I'm glad to hear that? Curious to hear a little more in depth I guess but I'll just avoid it for know.

edit: one of them derailed a discussion about mechs vs minions & pandemic legacy to suggest Clank because we would "definitely enjoy it" [based on the other two] and the more I think about it the more baffling that leap in logic is.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 6, 2016

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
You guys are crazy, those games are all terrible. Do you even own a deck of dice?!

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Today I played Discoveries, which was better than I thought it would be after reading the rules. I also played Imhotep for the second time, this time with 4.

Imhotep to me is an odd beast. It was nominated for the Spiel, and I can see how it wasn't very good with 2, but with 4 coming up with strategy seems tough because other players can so easily mess with anything you think up before your turn begins.

Some games have too little player interaction, Imhotep seems to have too much player interaction.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Rutibex posted:

You guys are crazy, those games are all terrible. Do you even own a deck of dice?!

I got one for my Catan set a few years back but I'm missing like half the cards

foxxtrot
Jan 4, 2004

Ambassador of
Awesomeness

Broken Loose posted:

Color me interested, though I'll have to work to hit that 6-10 range. Definitely interested, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Anyone know any good boardgames for android while I wait for this game of CAH to finish?