Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Burkion posted:

So since there are two Ghost Riders confirmed in Agents of Shield, could we please have Johnny Blaze as played Nic Cage show up in the MCU?

If they don't do this it will be the single biggest mistake in all of the MCU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

greatn posted:

That entire scene I was shouting "Please be Nic Cage, please be Nic Cage"

I would have flipped my poo poo so hard if they blew half their season budget on a single spoken line by Nick Cage. gently caress that would have been money well spent.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

bring back old gbs posted:

I would have flipped my poo poo so hard if they blew half their season budget on a single spoken line by Nick Cage. gently caress that would have been money well spent.

Well then, they'd have to have him face off against Swarm then, wouldn't they?

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Just got back from Dr Strange. Amazing movie, best marvel movie yet I think. It didn't have the uncomfortable cheesy dialogue that many other Marvel movies have. Special effects, in most cases were great, and the acting and dialogue were all great.

Maybe some of the other Marvel movies have better plots, but the dialogue and acting were top notch. Definitely can't wait for more Dr. Strange in the marvel movie universe.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Burkion posted:

So since there are two Ghost Riders confirmed in Agents of Shield, could we please have Johnny Blaze as played Nic Cage show up in the MCU?

While we are at it; Marvel better get Wesley Snipes back as Blade like has been rumored for seems likes ages.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
5 days until a Valerian trailer, get hyped.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Justin Godscock posted:

While we are at it; Marvel better get Wesley Snipes back as Blade like has been rumored for seems likes ages.

why would you wish this on some poor innocent film crew

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

GonSmithe posted:

Dane DeHaan is gonna have an extremely busy 2017 and I couldn't be happier for him

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just got back from watching Dr Strange and it was really good. Probably my favorite MCU movie, followed by Winter Soldier and Iron Man1. I have pretty much nothing but mild apathy to moderate disdain for all of the remaining MCU movies to date.

I saw it in 3d - and I really wish I hadn't since it was a really lovely post-effect that distracted me in every shot that wasn't whiz-bang magic poo poo. HOWEVER, the 3-d magic poo poo was pretty fuckin' fantastic (I think it would be just as good 2d, since it was really creative in general). As mentioned, the magical design of the realities warping and shifting was really interesting and creative and that visual look wouldn't suffer in the slightest were it in 2d. The post-effect 3d of the normal parts of the movie were really poor. If we could have somehow watched a 2-d movie with 3-d magic parts I would have been absolutely down for that.

It was a really drat fun summer blockbuster movie. It worked just fine as an origin movie. I really wish Rachel McAdams hadn't been the :airquote:love:airquote: interest, and been instead just a close friend. The romance was shoehorned in and slightly questionable if you stop to think about it for a second.

The ancient one sounded surprisingly modern, and aside from the specific architecture there was nothing insultingly anachronistic about that whole side of things.

The humor in the movie was entertaining, and the only parts where it suffered were the quips - which were limited to maybe four lines spread out through the movie. It was sad they put them in because clearly the writers were smart enough to create humor naturally. The quippery was pretty stupid, too. Fans of the Big Bang Theory (and Guardians of the Galaxy) would probably enjoy them and think they were the bees' knees).

Dormammu looked pretty dope, too.

Anyways, if you thought Marvel was slowly turning into a pile of dumb, uninteresting schlock I think you may be surprised by just how good Dr Strange can be. I mean, it's obviously a popcorn movie, but it's a darn fine one.

Thumbs' up from me.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 6, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

bring back old gbs posted:

Nic Cage works pretty cheap now. So they'd probably get him for like a meal or something. He does a tremendous amount of terrrrible films.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Kevin Feige just laid out the vision for the MCU going forward. The big takeaways:

- Infinity War will be the last "big" movie for years.
- Doctor Strange, Thor 3, and Ant-Man are the models going forward. "Intimate" character stories and unexpected team ups. No more world ending or doomsday scenarios.
- Each phase of the MCU is going to introduce new characters. "Something" will be done with Blade, but not until at least 2019.
- Phase 4 slate and character announcements next year.
- Diversity is a focus going forward. All the new characters and love interests in the next two years will be non-white or female.
- Zendaya confirmed as Mary Jane.
- No word yet on how involved Marvel will be with Spider-Man after Homecoming. Marvel is looking to stay involved though and discussions are going to be happening after the release.
- Might not see a solo movie for the original avengers for several years.
- Inhumans is still happening. Rumors that it is permanently canned are not true. It "will happen for sure." But won't commit to a release date.
- There are 3 unannounced MCU movies earmarked for 2020. (May 1, July 10, and November 6). They'll be announced sometime in 2017.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Kevin Feige just laid out the vision for the MCU going forward. The big takeaways:

- Doctor Strange, Thor 3, and Ant-Man are the models going forward. "Intimate" character stories and unexpected team ups. No more world ending or doomsday scenarios.

Dr Strange had literally a world-ending scenario as the climax. The only difference between it and something like the Avengers was that Dr Strange didn't have lovely little aliens flying around everywhere.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Timby posted:

This is all I can see:

Guy Goodbody posted:

That looks more like a guy in a suit than the original Megazord

Somehow both of these things are true, that's a helluva sweet spot to hit.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Drifter posted:

The post-effect 3d of the normal parts of the movie were really poor. If we could have somehow watched a 2-d movie with 3-d magic parts I would have been absolutely down for that

I read somewhere that the movie is entirely in 2d, except the magic bits, being 3d for the flair but I guess that's not true?

Is the ending that he has to believe in himself to defeat the doomsday scenario and is there or is there not a blue laser shooting in to the sky?

edit: I know that BvS ended with Doomsday but was there a blue laser shooting into the sky from him at one point?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jerk McJerkface posted:

edit: I know that BvS ended with Doomsday but was there a blue laser shooting into the sky from him at one point?

Red-orange laser, close enough?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

McSpanky posted:

Red-orange laser, close enough?

It's probably blue if you remove Snyder-vision, so yes.

Can anyone name a super hero movie that hasn't ended in either a blue (or red-orange laser) going into the sky or a final huge fight with a legion of faceless mooks?

I can only think of maybe Watchmen, but I'm sure there's others.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Drifter posted:

Dr Strange had literally a world-ending scenario as the climax. The only difference between it and something like the Avengers was that Dr Strange didn't have lovely little aliens flying around everywhere.

Those should have been separate bullet points. He was using Doctor Strange as an example of "intimate" character stories. Going forward they are focusing on "intimate character stories and unexpected team ups."

They said no more "world ending scenarios" after Infinity War.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

GonSmithe posted:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I got the midcredit scene with Strange and Thor, but was there an ending-credits scene? What was it?

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I read somewhere that the movie is entirely in 2d, except the magic bits, being 3d for the flair but I guess that's not true?

Is the ending that he has to believe in himself to defeat the doomsday scenario and is there or is there not a blue laser shooting in to the sky?

re: BvS & Doomsday - Orange laser from doomsday, red glowy batpunch from Batman on Luthor.

Dr Strange already believes in himself. He, however, finally understands the symbolism of the chekhov's gun that's been shooting him in the face throughout the movie since the movie began.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Doctor Strange was really fun and good. Really loved the references to the previous movies, the quick reference to Civil War was great.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Can anyone name a super hero movie that hasn't ended in either a blue (or red-orange laser) going into the sky or a final huge fight with a legion of faceless mooks?

Ant-Man? Captain America Civl War? Captain America The Winter Soldier, Deadpool, The Wolverine, Captain America the First Avenger, Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance, Ghost Rider, Iron Man, X-men First Class, and Blade

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Drifter posted:

I got the midcredit scene with Strange and Thor, but was there an ending-credits scene? What was it?

Baron Mordo goes back to find the paralyzed guy who left Nepal and led Strange to Nepal in the first place. He tells him that he has had quite a lot of time to think and that he has come to a realization. That Sorcerers corrupt everything they touch. There is a natural order and laws to defend, but even those who claim to defend it just twist and break it. What do we do when so many people are using magic and can't be trusted?

He then fights the guy and jabs him in stomach and cuts him off from access to the other dimensions to use magic. The guy's hands curl up and his legs give out and he becomes paralyzed again.

He looks at Mordo and goes "Why?"

Mordo leans into him and whispers, "I've found the problem. Too many Sorcerers."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm still the only person I know to think Ghost Rider 2 was good.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Both Ghost Riders were good. I can get that people don't like Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance, but people who insist that Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance was bad baffle me.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Ghost Rider 2 was gloriously over the top and that design of Ghost Rider was amazing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Both Ghost Riders were good. I can get that people don't like Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance, but people who insist that Ghost Rider Spirit of Vengeance was bad baffle me.

The first one's awful in spite of Nick Cage's best efforts (mostly because of the wet fart of a villain) and both of them suffer from not being Drive Angry which is basically the same concept only a million times better.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Mordo leans into him and whispers, "I've found the problem. Too many Sorcerers."

That scene sounds pretty cool. I fuckin' hate after-credits scenes. I don't want to wait through 4 minutes of nothing to see them. gently caress you movie people. I hope they die in a fire.

Thanks for telling me.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

One other interesting thing from the Feige chat:

The 2019 schedule (Currently Unnamed Avengers 4 and Captain Marvel) is not finalized. They might add a 3rd movie with a Fall release date to replace the previous Inhumans movie slot. (This will most likely be a Doctor Strange or Black Panther sequel.)

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Ant-Man, Incredible Hulk, TDK just to name a few.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

The 3 Captain America movies, HULK, Blade, 1989 Batman'

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

The 3 Captain America movies, HULK, Blade, 1989 Batman'

Didn't the big fight with Red Skull have the cosmic cube all glowy and destructive? And Batman had the spotlights. :laugh:
And Blade had the giant bloodgod be all red and tornado tall. Right? I don't remember much from Blade beyond that it was goddamn amazing. :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MonsieurChoc posted:

You're probably not. But as a big N/T fan, it was like my phantom menace. A complete crushing disappointment. I blame that hack Goyer. His scripts are so bad even the insanity of N/T can't escape from them.

It was bad because it was boring with small bursts of manic energy. But for most of the running time it was a lame remake of T2. I like watching the clips of scenes on YouTube, but put all together it's really drat dull.

And Watchmen has the biggest blue laser finale of all. So it doesn't really count.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Doctor Strange was extremely my poo poo. Very inventive fight sequences and set pieces, not too excessive with the quips. They should have just let Cumberbatch keep his accent tho, there were times it sounded like he was talking around marbles.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm so happy for Cargill.

I'm glad the Spill.com crew found great success post site closing down. :3:

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Drifter posted:

And Blade had the giant bloodgod be all red and tornado tall. Right? I don't remember much from Blade beyond that it was goddamn amazing. :colbert:

The alternate ending had Frost turn into a blood tornado, the one they went with was him getting super speed and magic healing, or something like that.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Maluco Marinero posted:

The alternate ending had Frost turn into a blood tornado, the one they went with was him getting super speed and magic healing, or something like that.

Yeah, Blade cuts him in half and his blood pulls the two halves back together in mid air and heals him.

http://i.imgur.com/FbwmLuv.gifv

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's just the gif, but that blood looks terrible.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mameluke posted:

1990s cheap CGI, natch.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mameluke posted:

I still find it less distracting than the rubbery doubles in some Blade II action scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Snipes was such a good actionstar, it's a shame he went and got too weird

• Locked thread