Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Tunicate posted:

To be fair humans do that too, why else do you think everyone wants a nice grassy lawn out front?

Do you think Scotland invented lawns? No, people don't want lawns because of what they know or don't know about Scotland. Most Americans with lawns think that they were placed there by God 5,000 years ago. They just want lawns to show off arable land that they are not farming smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

WickedHate posted:

I think he was right to an extent. It was probably for the better there be at least one Gene's Vision guy on staff to at least keep it rooted in Star Trekisms, for better and for worse, or else it really could have been any sci-fi show.

Agreed. While the Roddenberry rules (utopia, no human conflict, etc.) are a flawed idea, I respect the guys that tried to roll with it and see what kinds of unique stories the limitation could create rather than whining all the time that they can't write like every other drama.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Agreed. While the Roddenberry rules (utopia, no human conflict, etc.) are a flawed idea, I respect the guys that tried to roll with it and see what kinds of unique stories the limitation could create rather than whining all the time that they can't write like every other drama.

At some point, people just burned out on the Roddenberry restrictions (Michael Piller, for example, on Resurrection, although that script's development was a mess for a half-dozen reasons).

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Drink-Mix Man posted:

There are many parts of Star Trek that we're not fond of... there are loose threads... untidy parts of the show that we would like to remove. But when we pull on one of those threads... it unravels the tapestry of the franchise.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, I'm a giant nerd baby but this seems to have led to that unique Trek flavor which has made DS9 stand out from Mass Battlestar 5: The Hard Decisions and Iraq War Parallels.

And of course the result led to the Prophets actually signalling through non-linear time, what with the post-9/11 episodes and the Sanctuary districts and so forth.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
how does it feel knowing 9/11 broke your brain

because seriously not every loving "liberty vs security" story is a loving post-9/11 story arrrraghahghghghghGHGHGHAGHAGHHAEGHH

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Astroman posted:

Kirk was of course originally going to be PIke.

Crusher is one of those Roddenberry "see how clever I am" things--a DOCTOR named CRUSHER, get it?! Like the blind helmsman. He liked to hit people over the head sometimes.

hell, my elementary school nurse's last name was Bonebrake

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Okay, but more seriously, the DS9 two-parter with Admiral Haig is really more like a Seven Days In May story.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

hell, my elementary school nurse's last name was Bonebrake

My high school baseball coach's name was Jeff Bonebrake.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

CharlieWhiskey posted:

Do you think Scotland invented lawns? No, people don't want lawns because of what they know or don't know about Scotland. Most Americans with lawns think that they were placed there by God 5,000 years ago. They just want lawns to show off arable land that they are not farming smdh

My farmer grandfather said grass is there to keep dust down around the house and nothing else

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

how does it feel knowing 9/11 broke your brain

because seriously not every loving "liberty vs security" story is a loving post-9/11 story arrrraghahghghghghGHGHGHAGHAGHHAEGHH
It was some of this Earth "hew-mor", fool

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tunicate posted:

To be fair humans do that too, why else do you think everyone wants a nice grassy lawn out front?

Big Lawn, obviously! :clint:

(Not really, but massive front lawns you spend relatively massive time and resources and huge amounts of potable water on and you never ever use are a good example of a really dumb self-perpetuating social convention

In the star trek utopia, front lawns are dead)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

lordlimpet posted:

umm... maybe my head needs to be hit occasionally as I really don't get this doctor called Crusher thing?

I remember reading a Roddenberry interview where he made a lot of hay about how clever the name was because you have a healer with such a violent sounding name--a contradiction.

Of course I'll admit I'm half remembering something I read at some point in the last 30 years so who the gently caress knows. :shrug:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Given the reputation around Roddenberry it sounds plausible enough, and we're well well well within myth-making territory by now so who really cares?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rick Berman being crazy also explains why he has done nothing since Enterprise ended

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Baronjutter posted:

Also DS9 without an oppositional berman constantly saying no and seemingly missing the point is maybe BSG, which makes DS9's ending look stellar. So maybe he had some sort of positive role.

I'm not sure an unsupervised DS9 would have gone quite so far off the rails as BSG did, honestly it probably depends a lot on where Ira Behr would have gone if he'd had unfettered control as I believe he was more the showrunner than Ron Moore was.

That said I seem to recall that Berman also occasionally held the studio at arm's length, so it's possible that without Berman some studio dweeb would have demanded changes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm not well-versed in Trek production history but what little I do know suggests that there was someone around the corner eager to drive whichever show they were closest to directly into the ground at any given moment.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That said I seem to recall that Berman also occasionally held the studio at arm's length, so it's possible that without Berman some studio dweeb would have demanded changes.

Yeah. For Berman's credit, he was a great money-man and great at running interference. If he'd kept to that, he would've been ideal. Issue was, he had a vision.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
TNG S2e1: The Child.

Picard...has never played with puppies. Wtf? I mean, I guess he's more of a fish guy, but....wtf?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

When you learn about his family it makes a depressing level of sense.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

MikeJF posted:

Yeah. For Berman's credit, he was a great money-man and great at running interference. If he'd kept to that, he would've been ideal. Issue was, he had a vision.

Vision, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN6mp5hVSSc

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
That was mighty nice of Riker to help that poor fellow with his business problems.

drat shame that guy killed himself two weeks later due to nonstop Riker hallucinations at all hours of the day.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gonz posted:

That was mighty nice of Riker to help that poor fellow with his business problems.

drat shame that guy killed himself two weeks later due to nonstop Riker hallucinations at all hours of the day.

Seems more like a workplace shooting in the works.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Seems more like a workplace shooting in the works.

*after slaughtering a dozen co-workers*

"Reroute through Cleveland. Make it so, Number One."

*eats shotgun as SWAT arrives*

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gonz posted:

"I threw chair after chair at him, but he kept maneuvering over every one. Maneuver after maneuver. And then he'd just lean there. Leaning...."

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Riker explains that he can't alter the past (but this guy can change the future), and then he loving TELEPORTS HIM TO THE FUTURE AND KIDNAPS HIM BY WARPING AWAY!

By himself! No other crew!

I assume that was pre-Borg Apocalypse Riker. Before the insane-o beard and dirtied uniform.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

That's why the Klingons abruptly broke the Khitomer Accords, then everything was back to normal half a season later. Some exec said "The public expects the Klingons to be the bad guys! Make them the bad guys again!" Luckily that exec lost interest or got fired or something so it didn't have a lasting effect.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MikeJF posted:

In the star trek utopia, front lawns are dead

You say that, but the Picard house had a lawn, pretty sure Old Jake Sisko had a yard outside, and wasn't "landscape architect" one of the jobs Bashir's moron dad had?

Plus look at all that wasted "looks nice" lawns at the Academy.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

That's Arcturian Megagrass, it has unique properties that eliminate pollutants from the atmosphere and promotes good health and is the primary ingredient in synthijuana.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sash! posted:

You say that, but the Picard house had a lawn, pretty sure Old Jake Sisko had a yard outside, and wasn't "landscape architect" one of the jobs Bashir's moron dad had?

Plus look at all that wasted "looks nice" lawns at the Academy.

If the Federation were really dedicated to communist efficiency, every planet would be a 40k Hive World and their ships wouldn't be goddamn luxury hotels.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Zonko_T.M. posted:

That's Arcturian Megagrass, it has unique properties that eliminate pollutants from the atmosphere and promotes good health and is the primary ingredient in synthijuana.

Synthijuana lol. Looks like skunk, smells like skunk, but will never make you high :cry:

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Have you ever seen the back of a bar of gold-pressed latinum... on synthijuana?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Delsaber posted:

Have you ever seen the back of a bar of gold-pressed latinum... on synthijuana?

There's a Cardassian in the bushes. Does he have a disruptor? I don't know! Red Squad Go! Red Squad Go!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WickedHate posted:

If the Federation were really dedicated to communist efficiency, every planet would be a 40k Hive World and their ships wouldn't be goddamn luxury hotels.
They ain't got enough dudes

speakhard
Nov 30, 2003

from mars to uranus.

Knormal posted:

That's why the Klingons abruptly broke the Khitomer Accords, then everything was back to normal half a season later. Some exec said "The public expects the Klingons to be the bad guys! Make them the bad guys again!" Luckily that exec lost interest or got fired or something so it didn't have a lasting effect.

That's not really true.

Ira Steven Behr posted:

There had been some talk of doing an episode in which the Vulcans pull out of the Federation, which was how the fourth season would have opened. Then I watched the episode “The Die Is Cast” and the line the Founder said, “The only thing we have to worry about in the Alpha Quadrant is the Federation and Klingon alliance, and that won’t be a threat for much longer.” That just leaped out at me. Suddenly the light went on. I called Ron Moore into my office and said, “You know the line”— which he wrote—“ think about it. Maybe we’re making a mistake. Maybe the Vulcans should not be the ones leaving the Federation. Maybe it’s the Klingons who should break off diplomatic relations. That might have more heat to it.” I brought the idea to Rick Berman and he said, “Bingo! The Klingons. It’s gotta be Klingons.” We met with Paramount and they said, “It’s an okay idea, but you guys don’t understand: We want something even bigger than the Klingons.”

Gross, Edward; Altman, Mark A. (2016-08-30). The Fifty-Year Mission: The Next 25 Years: From The Next Generation to J. J. Abrams: The Complete, Uncensored, and Unauthorized Oral History of Star Trek (Kindle Locations 9981-9988). St. Martin's Press. Kindle Edition.

The studio-mandated thing was bringing Worf over to DS9.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They stole that plot line somewhat in the novels a few years ago when Andor briefly leaves the Federation.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Nessus posted:

They ain't got enough dudes

each whole colony planet has literally tens of people

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

FlamingLiberal posted:

They stole that plot line somewhat in the novels a few years ago when Andor briefly leaves the Federation.

Anexit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

What happened to the Ewoks?