Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

The Great Autismo! posted:

there are a lot more concerns for the government than a dying internet comedy forum that you have to pay to join, I'm honestly shocked reddit isn't blocked in china, because there's all kinds of information there that i imagine the gov wouldn't want people to see or read

It's easier to leave a few explicitly treasonous sites available so you have legal fodder against anyone who goes there, should you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

So are we supposed to be teaching Chinese in our schools because it is the language with the most native speakers and a better time investment than Spanish, or are we supposed to accept that it is nigh impossible to learn even when living and working in China for years, on account of the baffling inscrutability of its four (four!) tones? Getting mixed messages.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

P-Mack posted:

So are we supposed to be teaching Chinese in our schools because it is the language with the most native speakers and a better time investment than Spanish, or are we supposed to accept that it is nigh impossible to learn even when living and working in China for years, on account of the baffling inscrutability of its four (four!) tones? Getting mixed messages.

we should be teaching how to dress and act chinese because that is the secret to being understood. Language is secondary

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thin Privilege posted:

Quoting myself, I honestly would like to know what this says.

It says he was injured, 受伤 and he received beside assistance, like is next to his bed. that's the first sentence. the second one is like, he is looking at an older sister angel picture 看见了神仙图

i don't know what the significance of the last four characters are, though they are the word phoenix 凤凰 and 娱乐 which is like entertainment. it could be a company that put the picture up, i have no idea

edit: I guess to clean it up it would be like "This guy received bedside assistance from this girl: He looked at a total babe's picture. Phoenix Entertainment"

i guess that's how i'd translate it if i were getting paid to translate, which im not because im not a translator

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Nov 6, 2016

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

P-Mack posted:

on account of the baffling inscrutability of its four (four!) tones? Getting mixed messages.

Cantonese has NINE, an HK girl told me...

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
i'm guess it's like some media platform because it says 凤凰网 which means like phoenix internet

i don't use chinese social media or pay attention to any chinese media, so i have no idea what it is.

bing brings up http://www.ifeng.com/, which i guess is a chinese website. idk and i dont care either way

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

P-Mack posted:

I'm sure the people having so much trouble with it in this thread would fail at any language

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
there's a chinese language thread where you might have a lot more help in the future, as the majority of posts here in gbs are just kinda like shitposts by shitposters

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ladron posted:

Cantonese has NINE, an HK girl told me...

Magna Kaser posted:

Cantonese has anywhere from 6 to 43 tones (:iiam:) depending on who you ask. Let's all take a minute and be happy the northerners probably rigged the vote on what China's national and official dialect would be.

the hong kong girl i met in guilin told me there were 7, and when i asked her what they were after the four in mandarin, she said she didn't know. and it was her native language.

i think its kinda like asking a native english speaker how many verb tenses there are. some grammarians say there are only 2, some say 3, others argue there are 13. ask someone what they are and the average person will be like "i have no idea"

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
rip fbr, killed for causing a disharmonious thread

Also good at you Haier for figuring out that a life of casual hookups and meaningless sex isn't great at uhh, what, 40 or something? At least you avoided the fate of my uncle who is still at it now, in his mid 50s

THE PWNER posted:

you and everyone else in this thread, despite living in China for decades!
lol, when I was giving up on Japan I briefly considered switching over to China and everything bad about Japan is worse over there, including the written language

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Deceitful Penguin posted:

rip fbr, killed for causing a disharmonious thread

awww, pouring out some baiju for a living example of loose bowel movements

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
fbr got banned??? wtf?? :smith:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm weeping enormous, aromatic pussy tears

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it was me, i reported him because he was causing me to lose much face with hard hitting truths

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
if i had to vote someone off the island in the china GBS thread, i wouldn't have voted for FBR. but i dont even have a vote because i dont have plat :I

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Fauxtool posted:

it was me, i reported him because he was causing me to lose much face with hard hitting truths

doesnt reporting him make you lose even more face though?

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Agean90 posted:

I think doing it anonymously would be cool, tho, face-wise?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agean90 posted:

not if I report everyone who knows about it until im the only one left

Nucken Futz
Oct 30, 2010

by Reene

Blistex posted:

During the Korean war, Mao's son was at some outpost cooking noodles in a shack when they got a warning that an air raid was coming. Orders were than everyone was to take cover in a cave-bunker when an air raid was inbound, but Mao's son pulled rank (by saying "I'm Mao's son, don't tell me what to do) and a South African A-26 napalmed his rear end.

From Wikipedia: "on 25 November at around noon, a South African Air Force A-26 bomber dropped four napalm bombs,[6] one of which hit a makeshift house near the cave, killing Mao Anying and another officer who were cooking their lunch in violation of war-time regulations of the Chinese Army."

It was believed that Mao was going to enact a Kim-style transition of power to his son when the time came, but obviously that didn't happen. In China they teach kids that Mao's son was trying to retrieve important documents, and died a hero. Chinese people who are relieved that they didn't end up with a family-run totalitarian dictatorship sometimes say, "thank god for noodles and South African bombers".

Thanks Blistex, it confirmed my suspicions.

Pure Comedy, made me laugh.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Figuring out how many native speakers there are of Chinese is an interesting question because I assume China reports the entire population as such, but when they say Chinese they mean Mandarin and the majority of people in China are absolutely not native Mandarin speakers. It's taught in school and everyone has to learn it but it's not what they learned at home. Spanish might actually have more. Just saying all Chinese languages in one big lump is like saying native speakers of Romance, it doesn't make sense.

Maybe it's been long enough that they've stomped the other languages down but if it is genuinely the most common native language that'd be a recent thing.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

:toot:

Posted elsewhere as, "Beijing Subway:"

http://i.imgur.com/NK1D0Us.mp4

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Grand Fromage posted:

Figuring out how many native speakers there are of Chinese is an interesting question because I assume China reports the entire population as such, but when they say Chinese they mean Mandarin and the majority of people in China are absolutely not native Mandarin speakers. It's taught in school and everyone has to learn it but it's not what they learned at home. Spanish might actually have more. Just saying all Chinese languages in one big lump is like saying native speakers of Romance, it doesn't make sense.

Maybe it's been long enough that they've stomped the other languages down but if it is genuinely the most common native language that'd be a recent thing.

It's obviously bullshit to say there's 1.2 billion "Mandarin native speakers". There's still a whole lot more "speakers" than any other language other than maybe English, though. It would be interesting to see a metric that tried to measure by fluent speakers rather than native speakers but it's probably straight up impossible.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

THE PWNER posted:

It's obviously bullshit to say there's 1.2 billion "Mandarin native speakers". There's still a whole lot more "speakers" than any other language other than maybe English, though. It would be interesting to see a metric that tried to measure by fluent speakers rather than native speakers but it's probably straight up impossible.

Yeah I have no idea how you'd measure by fluent speakers. Total speakers is certainly either English or Mandarin.

Thinking more, so your native language is what you learn at home. That means your parents have to speak it, but in China so many kids are raised by grandparents that they would also have to. There's absolutely no way that grandparents are majority Mandarin speaking. The 30s-40s generation maaaaaaaaaaybe but past that definitely not. It's still going to be a while before regional languages are stamped out, and even that isn't guaranteed since some of them are reviving. Cantonese was never effectively reduced, Sichuan is alive and well, I've read that Wu is coming back over in the region around Shanghai.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 6, 2016

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
There's this thing, but it seems like wild estimates considering it says there's only 100k second language Japanese speakers in the world and just has a ? for many of them

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_total_number_of_speakers

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Pon de Bundy posted:

how is something awful not blocked in china
For me it is. After the big DDOS about two months ago, I guess Lowtax switched servers or something and since then SA no longer works on Awful app or my computer without the VPN on. It wasn't like that before, so that was a bummer to find I couldn't browse threads while on the train.

Also good at you Haier for figuring out that a life of casual hookups and meaningless sex isn't great at uhh, what, 40 or something? At least you avoided the fate of my uncle who is still at it now, in his mid 50s
I just turned 32. Suck my fuckman. Your uncle probably owns and posts like this make me want to go get AIDS just to spite you.

i'm guess it's like some media platform because it says 凤凰网 which means like phoenix internet
Whenever I get confused, I c/p it into an image search. This phrase gave me tons of bikini women, and also this delightful NSFW image:
http://y0.ifengimg.com/f04c9b92453d105f/2012/1024/xes_579fe3faa90c8a4dd376da4cec6668ea.jpg

ladron posted:

LOL. I will no longer wake up to 50+ new comments in the thread, 45 of which are dumbos arguing with him over nothing but intentional trolling.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SA isn't technically blocked but the hosting company has really hardcore DDOS protection, and the captcha for that requires Google to function. So it's nearly impossible to get to the forums without a VPN just because Google is blocked. There are a lot of sites like that in China, they aren't explicitly blocked but since Google functions are embedded in so many websites the Google blocks make them unusable.

They're kicking around the idea of blocking all websites that aren't registered in China. I think the party regrets ever allowing internet access, they'd like a North Korean style intranet instead.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

ladron posted:

"this is how many centimeters long his dick is"
LOL, that's all? Two is pretty weak. Mine is way bigger.

:smug:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Accretionist posted:

:toot:

Posted elsewhere as, "Beijing Subway:"

http://i.imgur.com/NK1D0Us.mp4

lmao the dude that gets shoved back onto te train he was trying to get off

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

SA isn't technically blocked but the hosting company has really hardcore DDOS protection, and the captcha for that requires Google to function. So it's nearly impossible to get to the forums without a VPN just because Google is blocked. There are a lot of sites like that in China, they aren't explicitly blocked but since Google functions are embedded in so many websites the Google blocks make them unusable.

They're kicking around the idea of blocking all websites that aren't registered in China. I think the party regrets ever allowing internet access, they'd like a North Korean style intranet instead.
Yeah, that's what I mean. I get the "Just one more step" message and then I can't put in the captcha without the VPN anyway. It blows. 4chan has the same problem, but when you use the VPN it tells you that it knows you are using it and won't let you post due to the potential for spamming, so there's no way to even reply to something on there.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Found a BBW in China

*Achievement Unlocked*

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ladron posted:

He was too god for this shameful thread and will join Pro-PRC Laowai on the list of Chinese sacrifices to American mods

Haier posted:

I just turned 32. Suck my fuckman. Your uncle probably owns and posts like this make me want to go get AIDS just to spite you.
Nah, once you make the realization there's no real coming back, just embrace the change. At least, unlike a buncha folks here, you can say you've enjoyed the period~

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Im pretty sure fbr is just pro-prc laowai alt anyway

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh yeah, I saw a good Chinar thing a few days ago.
There was some work on new pipes in the street in front of my building. On the corner are some food stalls that dump their oil and boiled food water into the drains about thirty times per day, and it's always a wet, oily mess when I walk by. The workers had to dig out new drains to go with the new pipes. They had finished the others and were making the new ones (two of them) that the food stalls prefer to dump in because they are lazy and these drains are right in front of them.
These guys are trying to pour wet cement and/or shape it and the people at the food stalls are shouting at them for standing in the spot where they want to pour their slimy water. Like, they can't see with their own eyes that someone is working and building a new drain, and the cement is wet. The construction workers are point at the completed drains a few meters away, but the food stall people are scoffing and shouting.

I came back 30 minutes from the supermarket and didn't see the construction guys, who I assume are on lunch. The food stall people had dumped all their water and oil onto the freshly poured concrete and the guys tools, because they couldn't be bothered to lug the little pot just a few meters away.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

GoutPatrol posted:

Im pretty sure fbr is just pro-prc laowai alt anyway

It's obviously a trolling account since it was registered at the end of December of last year (Honestly, who registers for the forums, anymore?) and all of the posts in the entire account are poo poo posts.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party

Nah, once you make the realization there's no real coming back, just embrace the change. At least, unlike a buncha folks here, you can say you've enjoyed the period~

haier trying to swerve on these hos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=catt0U__CkY

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Haier posted:

Oh yeah, I saw a good Chinar thing a few days ago.
There was some work on new pipes in the street in front of my building. On the corner are some food stalls that dump their oil and boiled food water into the drains about thirty times per day, and it's always a wet, oily mess when I walk by. The workers had to dig out new drains to go with the new pipes. They had finished the others and were making the new ones (two of them) that the food stalls prefer to dump in because they are lazy and these drains are right in front of them.
These guys are trying to pour wet cement and/or shape it and the people at the food stalls are shouting at them for standing in the spot where they want to pour their slimy water. Like, they can't see with their own eyes that someone is working and building a new drain, and the cement is wet. The construction workers are point at the completed drains a few meters away, but the food stall people are scoffing and shouting.

I came back 30 minutes from the supermarket and didn't see the construction guys, who I assume are on lunch. The food stall people had dumped all their water and oil onto the freshly poured concrete and the guys tools, because they couldn't be bothered to lug the little pot just a few meters away.

Speaking of cement, I was trying to buy some (in Cantonese) and after asking me two or three questions about what size of bag I wanted etc he just totally flipped and told me he didn't have any and to go away. There were bags of cement everywhere and he was wheeling them into the shop as I arrived. But he didn't have any.

Twat.

simplefish fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 6, 2016

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Darkman Fanpage posted:

lmao the dude that gets shoved back onto te train he was trying to get off

I get off on a subway station where usually more people get on, when going home from work. Sometimes I have to push my way past people bargaining in, and they give me looks like I'm the rear end in a top hat for trying to get off. I found shouting "Xian xia!" makes them loose face though.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
I was wondering why I smelled strong engine fumes in my house, so I went onto my balcony and was blasted by the stink of a chainsaw. Some guys had just murdered half the trees outside my windows and now I'm pretty upset. Those trees gave privacy and a very, very, very much-needed sound barrier from the constant cars and the retarded pharmacy that blasts a 15-second looping advertisement from 10am to 10pm. On the other side, in the apartment building, is constant construction that's been going on for weeks as two or three guys try to build a new elevator that is completely unnecessary here and there's never a wait for one we already have. I believe these guys will be working on this project until Spring Festival the rate they are going now. I have like 4-5 more months on this lease and now I am bummed. If the sound of that pharmacy ad creeps through my windows into my room, I am going flip out.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Is there a white celebrity generally regarded as the most attractive?

I'm curious about Chinese vs US aesthetics here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

really, how did chinese singing ever become a thing that was not meant strictly for punishment

• Locked thread