Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

AP posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/innlive/v/99233322?t=19m34s

:gary: :yarg:
:gary: :yarg:

It's all amazing to me, just listen to that. "Star Network, Star Network, Star Network"

That retard that's in the lower left always talks so matter-of-factly even though he is a compete loving idiot. I hate that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
hello

SQ42
  • SQ42 is an "always online" game (not prelude)
  • both games are developed in parallel, but one is always holding the other back
  • SQ42 hooks directly in SC
  • your choices determine stats, starting credits and ships in the SC universe
  • NPC factions will react to you different depending on your choices in SQ42
  • certain NPCs from SQ42 will be in the SC universe and will have different things to say depending on player choice
  • items, clothing, weapons you buy for $ or in-game currency will carry over from single player to SC

SC
  • netcode is a problem; bigger problem are the servers
  • massive hardware upgrade needed for 2.6/3.0
  • "Nobody thought of the costs for something like this. It's too intense [on the server hardware]."
  • new server costs to host 2.6/3.0 changes easily quarter-mil a month for small test bed (hosting several hundred players) with millions to host 1,000s of players
  • this is due to how ships, players, combat, npcs and other critical gameplay components utilize CPU
  • nearly all of the above has to get refactored. that awesome damage model? refactored. your o2 level simulation? refactored. your fancy ships? refactored. AI? refactored. NPCs? refactored

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

That retard that's in the lower left always talks so matter-of-factly even though he is a compete loving idiot. I hate that poo poo.

You hate it and I want a data center somewhere to store it for future generations.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

alf_pogs posted:

at this point if they just stopped and walked away, this thread would die within a few weeks.

goons are not goin to be a problem when (not if) poo poo gets real for cig. instead, its going to be the legion of fanatics who haven't gotten the fury out of the way that are gonna cause hell

Seriously, us Goons are just people in the audience shouting out things. CIG controls the entire show. CIG controls every update, every sale, every presentation, every show, every tweet, and all released product. Every last bit of this is in Chris Roberts' hands. Goons, Derek, Reddit, RSI forums, all have no influence outside of what Chris Roberts delivers.

It's not going to be Goons or Derek delivering the final blow. When everything goes to poo poo, it's going to be the dedicated backers rushing the stage, not us. We'll just be sitting back watching a comedy where everyone else is a player.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Lazrin posted:

i've *always* said there's a huge risk that the project can't ever be finished... but the difference is i'm not worried about that, and would rather see someone try.

Lazrin posted:

isn't that a good thing? putting the wheels in motion has value. that moves things forward

i see a contingent of folks here who think its not ok to reach for those stars...

I'm a fan of dreaming big, and am A-OK with the march of technology and the advances that it will inevitably produce.

Just because I think that it would be neat to, say, see the day where we can transplant a human brain into a robot body, doesn't mean when I see someone spend $130,000,000 on giving Bubbles the Chimp a rusty chisel and a hammer and telling him to go hog-wild that I have to applaud the effort because 'they're trying'.

You dense motherfucker.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TheAgent posted:

• nearly all of the above has to get refactored. that awesome damage model? refactored. your o2 level simulation? refactored. your fancy ships? refactored. AI? refactored. NPCs? refactored

I understand that CIG is incompetent, but could we at least try to contain it and speak of what is happening in proper terms?
Refactoring is not going to solve any of the issues CIG is having. Ever.

So triggered right now. :colbert:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

SC
  • netcode is a problem; bigger problem are the servers
  • massive hardware upgrade needed for 2.6/3.0
  • "Nobody thought of the costs for something like this. It's too intense [on the server hardware]."
  • new server costs to host 2.6/3.0 changes easily quarter-mil a month for small test bed (hosting several hundred players) with millions to host 1,000s of players
  • this is due to how ships, players, combat, npcs and other critical gameplay components utilize CPU

Well obviously they are breaking new ground with this game on the IN-TER-NET model, you have to expect a few teething problems, especially this early in development.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

I understand that CIG is incompetent, but could we at least try to contain it and speak of what is happening in proper terms?
Refactoring is not going to solve any of the issues CIG is having. Ever.

So triggered right now. :colbert:
I use refactor the same way chris roberts uses it

are you saying chris roberts doesn't use refactor correctly

are you saying CIG doesn't use the term refactor correctly

you obviously don't know anything about game development

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TheAgent posted:

I use refactor the same way chris roberts uses it

are you saying chris roberts doesn't use refactor correctly

are you saying CIG doesn't use the term refactor correctly

you obviously don't know anything about game development

I'm saying that when I called all of CIG amateurs for using the term over on the FDev forums, I got this apologetic reply from one of their devs:

Ben Parry posted:

The "refactoring" thing is like a bloody mind-virus. I'm making a stand against it, but it's hard to fight.
I think I know where it came from though.

Edit: Epistemic status uncertain. I'm now doubting my own memories

So, for tracking purposes, all checkins are marked with a single-letter prefix to say what they're basically doing. F is a feature. B is a bug fix. D is mass-deletion. I'm sure you can guess what R is for, but the problem is that this standard (I don't know if it's internal or imposed by a tool) doesn't have any other letter for "changing a bunch of stuff" - if you're not just deleting, and you're not adding a new feature, you kind of have to enter it as a refactor. You condition a whole company like that, it'll slip into their normal parlance, and there are plenty of people who'd never used it before, so they infer the meaning from how everyone around them is using it. Even people who do know better find it sneaking into their vocab when they're not paying attention, like when you spend too long around one group of people and start using "massive" to mean "good", or "literally" to mean "not literally".

So far I've stopped, like, one guy.
Even they know it's wrong, but like he says, it's a virus and it's spreading.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

I'm saying that when I called all of CIG amateurs for using the term over on the FDev forums, I got this apologetic reply from one of their devs:

Even they know it's wrong, but like he says, it's a virus and it's spreading.
yeah I read that, which is why I will continue to use it the roberts way until I die

brb gotta refactor some beer into the toilet, then maybe refactor a hamburger into a cheeseburger

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

TheAgent posted:

yeah I read that, which is why I will continue to use it the roberts way until I die

You're the worst person ever.
Even worse than :sandance:.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Sometimes I think "This is it, they are going to squeeze out the MVP!" but no, the Mo'crap demands better even though they couldn't get the man a proper mop.

This "game." :allears:

And yes, when it all comes crashing down, it won't be because goons were heretics, it will be because there is no God game to deliver to the faithful. But "awe, gee shucks, at least we tried!"

*rides leased Porsche off into the sunset*

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 6, 2016

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

You're the worst person ever.
Even worse than :sandance:.
I've been the worst person since I was a little girl, this is true

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Lazrin posted:

i've managed large software projects in the healthcare industry with budgets in the tens of millions with application revenue opportunities an order of magnitude more revenue than that. i've also managed people across disciplines on those projects.

though they weren't game projects, the factors for success are the same... not everyone here is a dummy.

Go gently caress yourself, Karl.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
Is Star Citizen dead yet? Have we come to an agreement about pineapple on pizza?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

Is Star Citizen dead yet? Have we come to an agreement about pineapple on pizza?

Both hot topics with no clear resolution on either

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

peter gabriel posted:

Both hot topics with no clear resolution on either

What about tane?!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

What about tane?!

A third hot topic appears

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

peter gabriel posted:

A third hot topic appears

I swear to god if somebody doesn't tell me what "tane" means I will span this thread until I get banned.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

I swear to god if somebody doesn't tell me what "tane" means I will span this thread until I get banned.
FYAD meme originally from some unfunny poo poo. You're welcome.

CIG is poo poo. Karl has the mental capacity of a child.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

This is the only time a 'tane' joke has been funny.

The :siren:female:siren: on the left looks so self assured and goofy. Mr Bean just looks out of place.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Nov 6, 2016

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
Thank you Raskolnikov, and thanks for nothing Peter.

I still don't know what tane means but I no longer care. Wake me up when the ELE hits.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Raskolnikov posted:

This is the only time a 'tane' joke has been funny.

The :siren:female:siren: on the left looks so self assured and goofy. Mr Bean just looks out of place.

She is comfortable with the tane, he is unsure of the ramifications of it

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

Thank you Raskolnikov, and thanks for nothing Peter.

I still don't know what tane means but I no longer care. Wake me up when the ELE hits.
NP. The ELE pre-session is going on right now. 2017 is looking like a strong year for the ELE to really come into its own. Check back around May.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think 2017 is the year Star Citizen will really shine, I think as a backer I am in for a great year

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

What is tane?
Listen to this, all will be made clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYEksNpGucU

quote:

Edit: posting from several days ago, can't wait to see Dr. Smart's big reveal
Speaking to you from the future, it was a doozy wasn't it? :laffo:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

peter gabriel posted:

I think 2017 is the year Star Citizen will really shine, I think as a backer I am in for a great year

I too am enjoying drinking and huffing the paint can I found in my garage.

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Lazrin posted:

i've managed large software projects in the healthcare industry with budgets in the tens of millions with application revenue opportunities an order of magnitude more revenue than that. i've also managed people across disciplines on those projects.

though they weren't game projects, the factors for success are the same... not everyone here is a dummy.

Do you have a janitor called Dick Wulge?

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

hang on..that guy can read minds

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I too am enjoying drinking and huffing the paint can I found in my garage.

Let me know when you want it back aaaaayyyyyyyyy

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheAgent posted:

hello

SQ42
  • SQ42 is an "always online" game (not prelude)

Oh hey they might want to be careful about that one.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/3861394/#Comment_3861394

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Lazrin posted:

true or false:

cig is further along and has the best chance of any studio to build a game with the scope of star citizen.

one word answer: true or false

Nice derail, you vertebrate.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

tane

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5bbdbq/dear_cig_re_cash_discounts_i_truly_hope_this_is/d9n9vh9

@therealazrin

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Kakarot posted:

hang on..that guy can read minds

They had a bet going on and you just confirmed that it was tane, she own.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

MeLKoR posted:

Listen to this, all will be made clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYEksNpGucU

Speaking to you from the future, it was a doozy wasn't it? :laffo:

I just listened to all of that and nothing was made clear

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

I just listened to all of that and nothing was made clear

You have increased your culture and are now a much more rounded up individual, such is the gift of tane.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches
Now I'm starting to care about what tane means agains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

HoneyBakedMAN posted:

Now I'm starting to care about what tane means agains.

I don't know what it means :v:

• Locked thread