Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
So, got the hankering to start another game of XCOM 2, and I was gonna ask more generally about some good mods, but then I ran into Iron Rose's mod collection she linked a few pages back and just subscribed to a whole mess of stuff from that. Thanks, Iron Rose!

There's still something I'm wondering though, namely about the stuff that adds new enemies.

I played around a bit earlier with the Long War Alien Pack, and those drones you run into pretty much from the get-go felt a bit horseshit with their armor and all. Now, I'm willing to bear with that and just adjust my approach accordingly, but it leaves me wondering: What are A Better Advent and the Enemies Only pack from Spectrum: Yellow like, difficulty-wise? I mean I've finished the game mostly vanilla some time after launch on Commander difficulty, so I'm not a complete wimp. I'm just wondering what would be the sweet spot between those mods, possible squad size increases, difficulty levels and such.

I don't have any of the DLC, just for the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Oh hello, working co-op.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=792693587&searchtext=

Also glad you found the mod collection of use, Nordick!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The Drone: Not very dangerous in and of itself, but an indirect threat via its stun and just being a bit of a bitch to kill. It's a tricky foe rather than a deadly one.

As for A Better ADVENT, the different variants add a lot of different threats and stuff you need to counter. Definitely a step up in difficulty with things like ADVENT soldiers (of all kinds) with Shotguns, Captains or (god forbid) Shieldbearers with Sniper Rifles. The unholy hybrid that is the Shieldlancer. Sectoid Soldiers that are almost certain to do the most dangerous thing a Sectoid can do - shoot you. Chryssalids are a lot more common, but a sort of scaling tiers system for them, with the early game ones having low health and no poison, but eventually growing a fair bit stronger, and the occasional Queen to pop out lots more of the little monsters. Unpleasant.

There's some pretty nasty variants later on. Especially the endgame Prime variants... like the ADVENT Prime Sectopod... which does not show up on the Shadow Chamber readout, and gets a reaction action every time it takes damage. Ouch. If you're gonna Fanfire, you better hope it kills it, or you could be in trouble! And yes, there are Codex variants too. One of them is supposed to Psi Bomb as its activation move. Another specializes in splitting. ALL THE SPLITTING. Also, I no longer remember if the vanilla game's ADVENT gets a third tier of units, or if they stop at "Advanced", but here they go up to "Elite", and of course Primes as pod leaders. Of particular note are the rare "Generals" which lead a pod of 1-tier-lower captain variants. Yes, a whole pod of Captains.

It is a fair bit harder than the base game, but a larger squad size makes up for that.

Plus, it's getting updated soon, we hope. It won't be an update to the existing mod, the update will be posted as a whole new mod, because drat it's gonna be a big one, apparently.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 4, 2016

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well, I dove in for a few hours to try things out. There indeed is a pretty good enemy variety with all kinds of special troopers and whatnot that I've seen, but so far, playing on Commander, I've mostly just wrecked everything before they get a chance to do much. I'm thinking I might either install a mod to increase enemy numbers, or start over without the increased squad size mod. Fortunately, having already finished the game twice after launch, I don't really mind just mucking about with different restarted campaigns. I'll keep up with this one for a while longer though, see how things ramp up.

And really, I have a Mr. Torgue voice pack, so ultimately everything's fine. :torgue:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I'm playing with alien pack and better advent on my first campaign ever, man up son

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah well I have those two plus the Enemies Only pack from Spectrum, so :v:

That said, I just did my first supply raid mission and there were only a total of 8 enemies in it, divided in three pods. That seems so low I'm wondering if there's something screwy going on here. Or maybe it's just because I'm still only a few hours in, I'm not sure. I grabbed Better Pods from the Workshop, anyways.

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.

Nordick posted:

Yeah well I have those two plus the Enemies Only pack from Spectrum, so :v:

That said, I just did my first supply raid mission and there were only a total of 8 enemies in it, divided in three pods. That seems so low I'm wondering if there's something screwy going on here. Or maybe it's just because I'm still only a few hours in, I'm not sure. I grabbed Better Pods from the Workshop, anyways.

You have All The Enemies, right? It's basically a mega compatibility mod, so that LWAP enemies can spawn in ABA pods, presumably the same for the Spectrum ones too.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
This is just my personal taste but having played a full campaign through it, A Better Advent is great, Long War Alien Pack is not.

Lynx
Nov 4, 2009

Vib Rib posted:

This is just my personal taste but having played a full campaign through it, A Better Advent is great, Long War Alien Pack is not.

What's not to like about the Alien Pack? They didn't add giant Chryssalids again, did th-

oh goddammit

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Jetamo posted:

You have All The Enemies, right? It's basically a mega compatibility mod, so that LWAP enemies can spawn in ABA pods, presumably the same for the Spectrum ones too.
Yeah, I do, and I've been getting mixed pods fine. It's just that the amount of enemies seemed a bit low. We'll see if Better Pods help.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yeah. ABA is well balanced for a six man team. Long War adds the old style bullshit that you could previously only get from shooting an EW LW drone and not hitting it for any damage.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I haven't tried that Spectrum thing. Incidentally, my recently finished campaign in ABA didn't see any of Long War's TRULY giant Chryssalids. I saw a Soldier at one point, which was pretty drat big, but it wasn't too bad.

But yeah, it doesn't do much for early game, but "Better Pods Plus" does a good job of increasing enemy numbers as the game goes on. Eventually you're running into pods of 5 enemies each. I run with the LW Toolbox to increase my base squadsize to 6, so after GTS upgrades I've got 8 guys on the field.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well I grabbed Better Pods, restarted once more to make sure it kicked in properly and, well...

Now we're talking. :black101:

Hit a nasty bug, though. At first I chalked it up to some mod hiccup, but some googling turned up people reporting the exact same thing without any mods installed:
A Retaliation mission had no civilians at all. As in, not a single one spawned to begin with. This resulted in mission failure because I couldn't save the required six.

The one solution I found was to copy the config files in the game's install folder over the ones in My Games\XCOM 2. I'll try that tomorrow, and if it doesn't work I guess another trick would be to just reload the geoscape autosave from before the mission, until the game rolls the mission as the defense variant from the Additional Mission Types mod.

If anyone's familiar with this problem, advice would be appreciated.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
You sure it wasn't a Haven Siege?

Or did the mission literally get declared failed because of no civilians?

Personally, I unsubbed from the new mission types - fun as they are once or twice, after a while things like the Haven SIege or that PR tour one there just become a slog.

And incidentally, you know how I mentioned ABA would be getting updated soon? Well, ABA 2.0 is out now. If you wanna update, get rid of all your current ABA-related mods and grab the new one, as "All the enemies" and "Better pods plus" are built-in this time. Also, it will require a new campaign.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793861140

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BlazetheInferno posted:

You sure it wasn't a Haven Siege?

Or did the mission literally get declared failed because of no civilians?
Yes, and yes. There were two disguised Faceless, nothing else. The counters in the top left corner for saved/remaining/dead civvies were all zeroes, all the way through. I just killed whatever aliens were on the map, and the mission ended with a failure screen.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So... any word on new content from the devs?

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
As a console player I'm just wishing for mod support, also I'd love more voices, does the PC version only have US, UK, Australian, French, German, Italian and Spanish? Like I get that there are 20 voices for some of those including both genders though not accounting for the attitude variations. Honestly I'd of preferred more languages with fewer options and maybe an accent only option.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo I guess they got the memo that the EU/EW ending was too easy. I mean this wasn't really hard but I sure as hell wasn't prepared for the multiple levels

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
http://i.imgur.com/ATrTiy3.gifv

http://i.imgur.com/oMp6ejt.gifv

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

See, this is why your soldiers miss those 95% shots ... too busy trying to setup sweet trick shots, showing off.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...Today I learned it is possible to be both poisoned and burned at the same time!

It was not a pleasant experience.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

...Today I learned it is possible to be both poisoned and burned at the same time!

It was not a pleasant experience.

With the relatively low hit points of enemies, stacking multiple dots with grenadiers is a wonderful way to chew through ruler health bars and make everyone else pretty much dead come the next round. And that saves you precious ammo for the other beefed up enemies that somehow aren't yet dead.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of rulers and stuff, when's a good time to do the DLC missions? When I have mag weapons? Or can I go sooner?

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

QuantaStarFire posted:

Speaking of rulers and stuff, when's a good time to do the DLC missions? When I have mag weapons? Or can I go sooner?

You can go sooner, they are perfectly doable on default armor and weapons. Mag weapons is much more comfortable though. If you want to go in with ballistic weapons take as many shotguns and heavies as your roster allows, pushing from 3 or 2 hits to kill into 2 or 1 hit to kill makes a big difference.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

QuantaStarFire posted:

You should do the Tower mission when you've gotten Mag weapons and at least Pred armor. And at least 2 Grenadiers with Shredder. The Snakedick mission should be attempted with the same equipment tier,but I would recommend bringing a sniper with Lightning Hands/Faceoff/whichever one is the free action.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

BlazetheInferno posted:

And incidentally, you know how I mentioned ABA would be getting updated soon? Well, ABA 2.0 is out now. If you wanna update, get rid of all your current ABA-related mods and grab the new one, as "All the enemies" and "Better pods plus" are built-in this time. Also, it will require a new campaign.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793861140
Welp, I guess I'll be restarting once again. :shepface:

Turned out it was Better Pods that was somehow causing the missing civilians bug. I remembered I played a normal Haven defence mission earlier, before I restarted with Better Pods, and it worked fine. So I disabled BP, loaded the geoscape autosave from before the retaliation mission popped, went into the mission and presto, the civvies were back.

Of course, it was probably a conflict with another mod rather than BP specifically. Might've even been Additional Mission Types, really. So eventhough I'm liking AMT thus far, I think I'll just disable it to be safe and get ABA 2.0 and start over. For like the fourth time this week.
EDIT: gently caress me, I just found out I also had a mod called More Pods active. I can't even remember when I installed that one, but it was probably not playing nice with Better Pods. :downs:

Also I would like to reiterate that the Mr. Torgue voice pack is loving hilarious. I legit laugh out loud every time my dude with it goes :byodood: THIS IS GOING TO BE SICK before tossing a grenade.

The GLaDOS voice pack is pretty awesome too, and has pretty great variety.

EDIT: I went looking for some more voice packs. I... I have so god drat many voice packs now. Will report back later.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 7, 2016

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Most of the voicepacks I have are Mass Effect or Overwatch. I love the ones with the higher amounts of lines for the greater variety. The Garrus voicepack is great, but I kinda wish someone would make an updated version. Kinda sad that the guy who did most of the more recent Mass Effect voicepacks seems to have stopped for now. Was looking forward to seeing who he'd do next.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Yeah I have most of the Mass Effect packs too, some of them are pretty good.

I also discovered this guy by the Steam name Walker, Texas Ranger, who has done several dozen different voice packs. All that I sampled sounded like quality stuff, he thankfully has pretty good showcase videos of them all. I only managed to try out a few last night before I got too sleepy, but standouts so far are General Sarrano from Bulletstorm and Bonnie from Payday 2. I expect the other Payday 2 ones are equally good; he's also done Hoxton, Jimmy and Clover. I grabbed all of them, because I love me some Payday 2. He's also done several characters from Dirty Bomb, and I don't even play that game but the voices sounded cool so I installed a bunch of those as well. And Handsome Jack and the Psychos from Borderlands, because of loving course I did. Plus a bunch of other assorted ones.

This campaign is going to sound loving ridiculous. :allears:

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Got a base defense mission, I had two blaster bombs, cleared mission on turn 1 5/5 would play campaign again

For increasing the numbers of XCOM operatives and aliens on the field without otherwise changing gameplay much, what are the best mods?

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Nordick posted:

This campaign is going to sound loving ridiculous. :allears:

In terms of voice packs, I've gotta say I was pretty disappointed to discover that no-ones made a Gordon Ramsey one yet.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

my favourite voice packs from my campaign are def Basil Fawlty and Maurice Moss

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
For increasing your Squad size, the Long War Toolbox is one of the best options - the only catch is that you can't increase it for the first mission, as the menu to do so is only accessible in-game, after the mission has already started. There are a bunch of ways to increase the number of enemies though. ABA 2.0 comes by default with increased pod sizes as the game goes on, but also adds a bunch of different variety of enemies, or there are lots of mods that just increase pod sizes, or add more enemy pods.

As for my favorite voicepack, I gotta love Bill from Left 4 Dead and Soldier: 76. Hell, thanks to being from the game he is, Soldier: 76 can even respond to being put on Overwatch by actually saying "Overwatch."

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I held off on the LW Toolbox because I heard it conflicts with a lot of other mods. Is that no longer the case?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
NO idea. I haven't had any personal problems so far.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I'm still a little annoyed the only new SPARK class on the entire workshop is the fun but bad Pugilist class.

I might do a LW style overhaul with 2 or 3 SPARK classes at this rate because I really want to try out a playthrough with the new ABA and LW perk pack classes but want good SPARKs as well.

:negative:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Zore posted:

I'm still a little annoyed the only new SPARK class on the entire workshop is the fun but bad Pugilist class.

I might do a LW style overhaul with 2 or 3 SPARK classes at this rate because I really want to try out a playthrough with the new ABA and LW perk pack classes but want good SPARKs as well.

:negative:
What about : https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=731540200 ?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

On the voice pack front,I can use some assistance. I've got this one female soldier who's spunky, energetic and has a love of blowing poo poo up. I haven't been able to find any voice packs that meet that criteria yet.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I do love mods in this game, my best soldier is Tali (with the mod that adds her model to the game). Shepard is there, too, as is Big Boss.

Mods like this add flavor to a game greatly.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

The Iron Rose posted:

Oh hello, working co-op.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=792693587&searchtext=

Also glad you found the mod collection of use, Nordick!

HOLY FUCKBALLS!!!! Cant wait to try this out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Zore posted:

:saddowns:

It'd be better if anyone ever gave me actual feedback on it.