Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Redeye Flight posted:

Yo Giants we have one (1) lightly used Ricky Nolasco you can have for, like, a popcorn machine

He's a starting pitcher though right? Our rotation is fine, it's the bullpen that can't hold a drat lead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

John Wilkes Booth posted:

I'm really interested in seeing where Cespedes goes despite it likely not panning out at all. He's still got a hell of an arm though.

The Giants will sign him

To be a closer

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Redeye Flight posted:

Yo Giants we have one (1) lightly used Ricky Nolasco you can have for, like, a popcorn machine

But a nice one, though. Not one of those cheapos that breaks in a week.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

we're all just waiting for JD Murders

Remembered he exists, checked his Twitter feed, found out he's a vocal rear end in a top hat Trump supporter. Trade you for a prospect with a weaker name tool but better sense of social justice.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Also I signed 4 different guys to be closer

Four elite closers might just be enough for the Giants to get through 9th innings without blowing the game, but personally I'd shoot for 5-6 just to be safe.

ffoecaf posted:

A closer who is not a garbage human being.

That'd be pretty nice, yeah.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Carlosologist posted:

Who's on everyone's free agent wishlist? I don't think the Yankees will sign anyone of note, but there's a nonzero chance they sign EE to fill out DH and one of Chapman/Jansen to close. Any other moves will probably be trades or something

Definitely hoping the prioritize hitting. Maybe Wieters, Encarnacion, maybe Fowler

Hoping they don't break the bank for Desmond

Lourdes Gurriel :getin:

Intruder fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 6, 2016

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Also I signed 4 different guys to be closer

From everything I heard about Casilla et al this year, I'm definitely not holding it against you.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
It's still baffling that, for whatever reason, the Giants were incapable of seeing that Casilla was struggling, then blowing it, and endlessly feeding back into the problem forever.

Or maybe they were just ignoring it, like when Posey spent the second half clearly hurt.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Julio Cruz posted:

...when? B-R says .763, and even then it's only over 169 PA so it's hardly predictive.

He finished at .763, but his OPS was .860 when they sent him down to the minors and he threw that big fit by refusing to report.

Pancakes posted:

Remembered he exists, checked his Twitter feed, found out he's a vocal rear end in a top hat Trump supporter.

So he'll fit right in St Louis

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

TMMadman posted:

How long did it take you to hear back from them? I texted yesterday and sent a picture at the same time, but I haven't heard back from them. So I texted again and sent a different picture of the same UPC after the automated response this morning, but I still haven't heard anything back from them.

I think they might be getting slammed now, or some delay, as the one I sent this morning hasn't gotten a response yet to the picture itself yet. Did you get an initial response back after just texting "football" to it?

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SourKraut posted:

I think they might be getting slammed now, or some delay, as the one I sent this morning hasn't gotten a response yet to the picture itself yet. Did you get an initial response back after just texting "football" to it?

Yeah, when I first did it, I sent football and the picture at the same time. There was an immediate automatic response about sending the picture before my picture went through. Then I sent another picture about an hour later.

Then since I didn't hear anything this morning, I went ahead and sent football again and then another picture of the same code. That was like 12 hours ago and still nothing.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cubs are so completely packed with talent, a lot of players are going to just not be good enough to start for them everyday. La Stella had an OPS of .860 and they couldn't even fit him on the 25-man roster. Soler would be starting in OF or DH for the majority of MLB teams, but he's a bench bat for the Cubs. It sucks for Montero, but it's part of being in the hyper-competitive world of Major League Baseball.

That was because Joe loves Chris Coghlan for some dumb reason. La Stella should have been on the playoff roster.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

N: Apparently Miggy was talking poo poo about Maddon yesterday.

V: I'm not surprised by Miggy having sour grapes, hell I think it's arguably a bit justified. He entered the season thinking he was going to be the #1 catcher, and exited having caught a whopping 2 WS innings and sandwiched between Ross being the media darling and Contreras taking all his innings behind the plate. That said, he picked a lovely time and a lovely way to air his grievances.

He was their 3rd best catcher this year. Not sure what he expected. Especially when going up against a team like the Indians who can run. If you want to play more, don't spend most of the season hitting like poo poo and unable to throw out a runner.

I have to imagine Miggy will play more next season with Ross retired. I'd say trade him but you'd probably have to eat a chunk of his salary and the odds you'd find a better replacement is slim.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Niwrad posted:

That was because Joe loves Chris Coghlan for some dumb reason. La Stella should have been on the playoff roster.

I disagree. La Stella and Coghlan had similar numbers as Cubs, and Coghlan had positional utility. TLS has only ever played 2B and 3B at the MLB level and you're not using him in either position in a playoff game so TLS is solely a PH in October/November.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

I disagree. La Stella and Coghlan had similar numbers as Cubs, and Coghlan had positional utility. TLS has only ever played 2B and 3B at the MLB level and you're not using him in either position in a playoff game so TLS is solely a PH in October/November.

You only needed a PH. The team has like 8 guys who I'd rather see in the corner outfield spots. Only reason Coghlan played was when Joe got shook and started loving with things.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sure Miggy didn't play much, but in the games he played he had a pinch-hit, game-winning grand slam in the NLCS and the winning loving RBI in game seven of the goddamn world series, dude is a loving hero.

He also had the dumbest cool hit of the season, which was the walkoff dinger against Milwaukee that let the Cub celebrate clinching the Central even though they technically won it the night before when St. Louis lost.

e:

Niwrad posted:

You only needed a PH. The team has like 8 guys who I'd rather see in the corner outfield spots. Only reason Coghlan played was when Joe got shook and started loving with things.

dude, they won

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, when I first did it, I sent football and the picture at the same time. There was an immediate automatic response about sending the picture before my picture went through. Then I sent another picture about an hour later.

Then since I didn't hear anything this morning, I went ahead and sent football again and then another picture of the same code. That was like 12 hours ago and still nothing.
Yeah, I think they're just slammed/something isn't working. I'm hoping to see a response either tomorrow or Monday morning.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I think they're just slammed/something isn't working. I'm hoping to see a response either tomorrow or Monday morning.

On the website it says it could take 48 hours.

Does anyone know if they are making more of the locker room stuff? That hat and jacket are cool. Would be silly if they just made one run of them.

I'm ordering like $350 worth of bobbleheads. :lol:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MLB Offseason N/V: Internecine Cubposter Squabbling

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Niwrad posted:

On the website it says it could take 48 hours.

Does anyone know if they are making more of the locker room stuff? That hat and jacket are cool. Would be silly if they just made one run of them.

I'm ordering like $350 worth of bobbleheads. :lol:
Yeah, I think my first code took about 14 hours, but the next couple took 2-3 hours.

I'm hoping they'll make more since I really want the Under Armour jacket, but I'm a bit worried they'll stick to the limited edition run and not make anymore available online.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Niwrad posted:

And Coghlan had similar/better numbers as a Cub than La Stella this year

TLS: 169 PA, .270/.357/.405/.763, 105 OPS+

Cogs: 128 PA, .252/.391/.388/.779, 111 OPS+

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

CubsWoo posted:

And Coghlan had similar/better numbers as a Cub than La Stella this year

TLS: 169 PA, .270/.357/.405/.763, 105 OPS+

Cogs: 128 PA, .252/.391/.388/.779, 111 OPS+

Coghlan was compete trash in Oakland this year though. I don't know, I'd rather have La Stella up than Coghlan at this point. La Stella also makes contact at a much better rate which I think is valuable in certain postseason situations.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Dexter Fowler, Anthony Rizzo, and David Ross all played strippers in a sketch on SNL tonight :love::swoon::love:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/Andrew__Carter/status/795118279077535744

:stare:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Dexter come back to meeeeeeee

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

The same trio plus Bill Murray all sang Go Cubs Go during Weekend Update.

Winning the World Series is pretty great. :allears:

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
And now they just sang Go Cubs Go with Bill Murray. It wasn't even a sketch, really. Just goofiness. Actual host Benedict Cumberbatch has slowly been written out of the show...

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

SNL cut the chorus in half, so all the Cubs who'd heard the song a billion times before sang the right version instead of the edited version. Bill Murray had to cut them off with the next verse.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rizzo looks like he's done this before :laffo:

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-OJScLPeZM

Take The Sauce Bucket Challenge

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lou Malnatti's is the best pizza I've ever ordered through the mail.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/795121946178490368

I need to get one of these sweaters

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Sydin posted:

N: Apparently Miggy was talking poo poo about Maddon yesterday.

V: I'm not surprised by Miggy having sour grapes, hell I think it's arguably a bit justified. He entered the season thinking he was going to be the #1 catcher, and exited having caught a whopping 2 WS innings and sandwiched between Ross being the media darling and Contreras taking all his innings behind the plate. That said, he picked a lovely time and a lovely way to air his grievances.

Sydin posted:

And even if they could stick Schwarbs behind the plate, trading Miggy means Schwarber doesn't get the benefit of having a veteran catcher around to help him develop. I'd say Contreras has himself a pretty firm grounding, but I don't know if it's firm enough yet to immediately turn around and start helping Schwarber.

It's been a pretty open secret that Miggy wasn't exactly thrilled about training his replacement, particularly when Contreras took off running and started to put a dent in Montero's time behind the plate. That said I figured with Ross leaving and Schwarber's knee, Montero would probably be splitting time fairly evenly with Contreras. I'm not sure if Contreras will be quite ready to catch Lester yet (let's just ignore how much of a disaster Miggy's arm + Lester's inability to throw to the bases will be :shepicide:) Lackey's position on Contreras catching him is pretty clear, and while Arrieta tossed a couple good games with Willson this WS, he clearly prefers Montero. So it seems weird to complain about it now when he's got a decent chunk of time behind the plate lined up for next season.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cubs are so completely packed with talent, a lot of players are going to just not be good enough to start for them everyday. La Stella had an OPS of .860 and they couldn't even fit him on the 25-man roster. Soler would be starting in OF or DH for the majority of MLB teams, but he's a bench bat for the Cubs. It sucks for Montero, but it's part of being in the hyper-competitive world of Major League Baseball.

Niwrad posted:

He was their 3rd best catcher this year. Not sure what he expected. Especially when going up against a team like the Indians who can run. If you want to play more, don't spend most of the season hitting like poo poo and unable to throw out a runner.

I have to imagine Miggy will play more next season with Ross retired. I'd say trade him but you'd probably have to eat a chunk of his salary and the odds you'd find a better replacement is slim.

I like Montero, but his best days are behind him. He's a good catcher and came up clutch several times this season, but he just hasn't been hitting like he used to. With all of his strengths and despite some hitting problems from him & Heyward, the Cubs still ended up with the best possible result so you can't really complain too much. The main liability was his arm, and coupled with the fact that Cleveland liked to run there was no surprise that they needed Contreras behind the plate most of the time. We discussed as much here, except, for some reason Miguel was the only one who couldn't figure it out. :confused: I mean, it certainly couldn't have hurt to communicate it to everyone, but also if he had questions he should have spoken up.

With that being said, Montero will be fine. Ross has ridden off into the sunset, so Miggy is literally the one veteran catcher. Contreras is making good progress, but it's nice to have at least a couple catchers for multiple reasons, and I wouldn't make Schwarber anything close to a regular catcher for a couple reasons. Who does that leave left? Federowicz? Miguel will be fine, and if he can maintain that hot bat from the latter part of 2016 he might get re-signed if the price is right and the market isn't overflowing (I wouldn't re-sign him for $14-15M/year though.)

This is a pretty awesome Rockwell spoof. I'd actually love a larger print of it, as sort of a "Dewey Defeats Truman" callback (also from 1948, and coincidentally the newspaper was the Trib!)

Rand alPaul posted:

Rizzo looks like he's done this before :laffo:

http://www.csnchicago.com/chicago-cubs/cubs-star-anthony-rizzo-twerks-his-way-beer-money-victory

ffoecaf
Sep 17, 2005

Get Off My Lawn
Seriously I desperately want that parade jacket I hope there's more

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

ffoecaf posted:

Seriously I desperately want that parade jacket I hope there's more

Me too. :(

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I didn't see it mentioned but Hendricks had three pickoffs in the postseason this season, with two coming in the world series. When is the last time either of those things happened?

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I don't see it happening and don't even think it is worth the price necessarily but it would be cool to me personally if Coco Crisp became a Blue Jay.

In Jays news, they didn't send a QO to Michael Saunders (good) and picked up their option to keep Grilli for $3M (good)

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

The Berzerker posted:

I don't see it happening and don't even think it is worth the price necessarily but it would be cool to me personally if Coco Crisp became a Blue Jay.

In Jays news, they didn't send a QO to Michael Saunders (good) and picked up their option to keep Grilli for $3M (good)

I am really excited to see who ends up stepping on the Michael Saunders land mine.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Hand Knit posted:

I am really excited to see who ends up stepping on the Michael Saunders land mine.

I'm so bummed about how he fell of a cliff this year. I want him to be good, even if he winds up being good for someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Patrick Spens posted:

I'm so bummed about how he fell of a cliff this year. I want him to be good, even if he winds up being good for someone else.

The best part was Wilner made a prop bet with Joe Siddall that Saunders would hit 25 home runs. Wilner was tapdancing about how smart he was for the first two thirds of the season, and then Saunders finished with 24.

• Locked thread