Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

Never ever let an interview fail get you down. The numbers are so stacked against you, even if you are a golden rockstar, even if interviewing was measurable and objective and perfect.

Team checking in. I'm being told I'm not a Java Core developer, C++ developer, or Python developer, I don't know anything about Ruby and haven't touched NPM so trying to find the lucky posting on AngelList. Site Reliability Engineering is an alternative but whilst Google gave me an interview everyone else must be looking for something else on a resume.

I've been reading on what Elixir + OTP has to offer and looking to use that on a big project but how is that going to do anything but scare potential employers even more.

Here's hoping for freelancing as a backup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol, the feedback was:

1)you code too slow and it didn't work the first time. um... ok? my programming style is very prototype-then-clean. im sorry you gave me a nontrival project to do in 45 minutes.
2)you didn't solve the problem with memcached fast enough or with the method we wanted. ok, but you also didn't ask if i had any experience with that product? ive never done poo poo with linux and said that up front. wtf.

The point of that kind of interview is to determine whether you can work through coding problems in a methodical way, not whether you can memorize and immediately provide precisely the answer they were thinking of

You'll look back on that interview in a few years and realize how broken their process was

Bullet dodged

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
yeah, im trying to keep a positive outlook. in one if their follow up emails they also talked about "matching you with startups" so maybe my sense of humor tipped them off that i wouldn't just tirelessly code a hundred hours a week? fucker didn't even know what a brandy old fashioned was.

mystes
May 31, 2006

CommunistPancake posted:

https://github.com/Jasonette/JASONETTE-iOS

they were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should
I was expecting this to effectively be s-expressions in JSON, but somehow it's even worse.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I really want to use this "diet4j" thing for Java deployment, but I cannot do that in any practical way because people don't generally write Maven packages as if their dependencies actually matter. It's telling that diet4j's imposition of a class loader hierarchy across module dependency boundaries just breaks so much poo poo because "oh hey somebody will provide this thing that I need on the class path somewhere down the line, it's not my problem".

Java's deployment story really is "failure wrapped in pain". Push out a 50MB bloatjar containing all of your transitive dependencies and get your hands dirty with implementation details of other peoples' code, adding Maven Shade combiner rules to coalesce multiple instances of the same metadata files in your dependency JARs.

and before somebody goes "oh noes 50 whole megabytes!!!11" this poo poo really slows down your compile-deploy-test cycle if you have to push it to a remote testing server every time.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 5, 2016

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

comedyblissoption posted:

has someone created a json version of xslt yet

one of the few things xml is better at than json would be

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
we didn't deserve xml

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

There Will Be Penalty posted:

one of the few things xml is better at than json would be

here is the complete list:

• xslt
  • also everything else that matters

for completeness, here is the list of things json is better at:

• saving space, in those common situations where every byte counts but you can't use compression
  • being a subset of javascript syntax, which is useful because it's important that your data be human-writable (but you don't need comments, because humans won't ever need to understand it)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
I think I need a Flavors implementation for Common Lisp, since I have some code I want to port without also porting it to CLOS

hopefully bit rot hasn't claimed the Lisp compatibility packages of the 80s

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Soricidus posted:

• xslt

• saving space, in those common situations where every byte counts but you can't use compression or a binary format
  • being a subset of javascript syntax, which is useful because it's important that your data be human-writable (but you don't need comments, because humans won't ever need to understand it)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also xml is a subset of scala syntax and scala is a better language than javascript therefore

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Sapozhnik posted:

I really want to use this "diet4j" thing for Java deployment, but I cannot do that in any practical way because people don't generally write Maven packages as if their dependencies actually matter. It's telling that diet4j's imposition of a class loader hierarchy across module dependency boundaries just breaks so much poo poo because "oh hey somebody will provide this thing that I need on the class path somewhere down the line, it's not my problem".

Java's deployment story really is "failure wrapped in pain". Push out a 50MB bloatjar containing all of your transitive dependencies and get your hands dirty with implementation details of other peoples' code, adding Maven Shade combiner rules to coalesce multiple instances of the same metadata files in your dependency JARs.

and before somebody goes "oh noes 50 whole megabytes!!!11" this poo poo really slows down your compile-deploy-test cycle if you have to push it to a remote testing server every time.

JDK 10 or 11 is supposed to be the saviour here, use modules and build to binaries, alas JDK 9 is Linux plus like one system library only.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Bloody posted:

also xml is a subset of scala syntax and scala is a better language than javascript therefore

lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Soricidus posted:

• xslt

• saving space, in those common situations where every byte counts but you can't use compression

lol

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Soricidus posted:

being a subset of javascript syntax

oops

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
here is a list of attributes in which json is superior to xml: not being a pain in the dick to work with.

if you need schema validation then there's various json schema projects out there idk. this is probably useful for formally specifying interchange formats and such. alternatively you could just use your language's own type system and serialization library's validation mechanisms instead of using some awful poo poo like xml schema that nobody really understands

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

here is a list of attributes in which json is superior to xml: not being a pain in the dick to work with.

json is bad

xml is terribad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
xml is way better than json by like miles

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

json is bad

xml is terribad

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
I never get why people think being a subset of javascript is a useful property for json to have. it doesn't have this property, but everybody who thinks it does also thinks this is a good thing, and I don't get why

in what universe are you just pasting a json literal into a javascript script and expecting it to continue to work? why are you doing that? why aren't you using a javascript object literal, or having the javascript code load its data from the json file? are you dynamically generating javascript??

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
and then I see the part where you can safely backslash-escape a forward slash in a JSON string, so when you write "<\/script>" it means the same as "</script>" but doesn't accidentally terminate your <script> block

so I guess, yeah, json is specifically intended to be used for dynamically interpolating into javascript code :eng99:

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

qntm posted:

and then I see the part where you can safely backslash-escape a forward slash in a JSON string, so when you write "<\/script>" it means the same as "</script>" but doesn't accidentally terminate your <script> block

so I guess, yeah, json is specifically intended to be used for dynamically interpolating into javascript code :eng99:

more like dynamically eval()ed i think but anyone with a clue uses JSON.parse() anyway

edit: wait, jsonp is eval()ed

json would be interpolated then eval()ed

There Will Be Penalty fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Nov 6, 2016

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

the only benefit of it being kind of a subset of javascript is that it's easier for people who know javascript to learn

that's about it

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MrMoo posted:

Team checking in.

fwiw nepotism is pretty much the biggest factor in hiring decisions

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

the only benefit of it being kind of a subset of javascript is that it's easier for people who know javascript to learn

that's about it

what is there to learn about json in the first place? javascript experience or not, i doubt very many people have pondered the json specification for hours before finally getting to work

unfortunately that probably also includes the people who wrote the specification

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

that's about it

and with xml bearing a massive resemblance to html, which I'd imagine nearly all javascript knowers have some familiarity with, it's a shaky benefit at best

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

well i haven't figured out the amiga's built-in blitter-based animation system yet but i can draw a bunch of bitmaps in succession so my amiga can play the WHOLE GIF

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 6, 2016

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

CommunistPancake posted:

https://github.com/Jasonette/JASONETTE-iOS

they were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should

please tell me this is peak Jason

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

please tell me this is peak Jason

unfortunately it's probably not, but you can see it from here

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
could be worse, it could be like my coworkers which have imposed yaml with java/scala

just the other day i had to fight with some yaml config that wouldn't recognize a yaml array value and i literally had to inline the array using the json syntax yaml also supports for some reason just to make it work

now that i think about it it could just have been that the items were indented three spaces instead of two, but if that was the problem, :wtc: yaml

Luigi Thirty posted:

well i haven't figured out the amiga's built-in blitter-based animation system yet but i can draw a bunch of bitmaps in succession so my amiga can play the WHOLE GIF

show us the video evidence luigi

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

show us the video evidence luigi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Emlv6XAn8w

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MrMoo posted:

Team checking in.

SAME.

- i had 2 positions disappear from under me because the position suddenly """became unavailable""". one in the middle of the process, and one after i passed the interview but before formal offer.

- with another position i found out the ceo was insane and did poo poo like edit his own perosnal wikipedia page with mulitple sockpuppet accounts apparently

- one startup that liked me, ithey were being 'funded by friends and family, primarily'..............

- the 1 good-tier company that actually had me whiteboard algos and woulda paid lots of figgies, the interviewers were split on me so i failed. the dept lead who interviewed me asked me my favorite swear word so maybe i failed on that question. i said "poo poo" but theres so many other good ones i couldnt remembr until after the interview

I HATE THIS poo poo

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Flat Daddy posted:

the dept lead who interviewed me asked me my favorite swear word so maybe i failed on that question.

finally someone interested in practical on the job skills.

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
someone in austin plz nepotism me, ive posted here like a dozen times and have all the right yospos opinions like javasript sucks!!!!!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Flat Daddy posted:

SAME.

- i had 2 positions disappear from under me because the position suddenly """became unavailable""". one in the middle of the process, and one after i passed the interview but before formal offer.

- with another position i found out the ceo was insane and did poo poo like edit his own perosnal wikipedia page with mulitple sockpuppet accounts apparently

- one startup that liked me, ithey were being 'funded by friends and family, primarily'..............

- the 1 good-tier company that actually had me whiteboard algos and woulda paid lots of figgies, the interviewers were split on me so i failed. the dept lead who interviewed me asked me my favorite swear word so maybe i failed on that question. i said "poo poo" but theres so many other good ones i couldnt remembr until after the interview

I HATE THIS poo poo

was the correct answer "they're all the same during prime time"? :ohdear:

last time I was interviewing I had one company reject me after an informal offer and the HR drone apologized to me and said they had never seen that happen before. another one the company imploded between scheduling my flight and the on-site. I'm 40% convinced that the process is universally terrible as a way to make employees less likely to look for different jobs. :tinfoil:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

at least yaml has some useful features like fudging custom types that aren't just strings, allowing references to other chunks of a document, and actually specifying syntax to separate documents in a stream

dunno if I'd want to trust arbitrary yaml to get parsed securely, seems kinda hard to parse

then again, no-two-json-parsers-parse-alike.png

also I'm pretty sure the attempt to wedge json syntax into the yaml spec ended up with caveats due to json underspecification

it's cool how json so resembles a subset of other languages yet simultaneously refuses to cleanly do so

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

all this interview talk is getting me pumped for the full day of interviews i have coming up
made better by the fact that i have no clue which version of my resume the company has since i dont remember applying for the position

bring on the lovely whiteboarding and probably questions about esoteric C syntax

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

esoteric c questions are the best

I was asked what the "auto" key word did a few weeks back

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

esoteric c questions are the best

I was asked what the "auto" key word did a few weeks back

Well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it sets the lifetime of a variable to be the function it's in.

incidentally, this is what happens if you put no modifier in front of a variable so it's completely useless

• Locked thread