Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
Found out tonight that my GF totally buys into the O'Keefe planned parenthood videos and there's probably nothing I can do to change her mind. Thankfully I'm fairly certain she's not voting for Trump.

ed balls to the walls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Rubber Tucky posted:

Conservatives don't know who Marina Abramovic is and Podesta went to a performance art thing she did and now they think he's a Satanist

Lets be honest here when are democrats not the great Satan to these people? Repub's sound like fuckin' Al Qaeda these days.

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

theflyingexecutive posted:

That night I got to scratch off "coked up dude dressed as a conceptual anti-clown culturally relativistically explained how Christianity provided the monotheistic martial structure necessary for the eastern Roman Empire to conquer Europe while wedding together Gnosticism, mysticism, and Buddhism into a feminist sexual framework to justify being catholic, gay, and attracted to me while a man springs from nowhere to spout memes nearly verbatim from the post-structural subforum of the serious politics subforum of a humor forum of a dying gay comedy website"

sounds like you won life bingo d0g

also idk about the one guys thesis wrt martial monotheism but his thing about wanting to gently caress you seems to check out

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

Found out tonight that my GF totally buys into the O'Keefe planned parenthood videos and there's probably nothing I can do to change her mind. Thankfully I'm fairly certain she's not voting for Trump.

There is very little one can do to mend the mind on abortion. You either understand it or you don't. I refuse nuance on the topic because in order for it to exist, it must be fully accessible Full Stop.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Let me tell you about the Catholic principle of transubstantiation, and how all catholics are literally cannibals. Now Lying Hillary says she is a methodist, but her running mate is a proud unrepentant cannibal. So can we really trust her?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Big McHuge posted:

ed balls to the walls

I'm sorry about your breakup :(

fussydutchman1
Mar 25, 2016
Minnesota anecdote party time: both of the African immigrant uber drivers that picked me up tonight excited to vote for
Hillary and pointed out how hosed up Trumps "rigged" poo poo is. One quote "what the gently caress? Am I back in Africa with this guy?!"

And now I'm all drunk and misty eyed about the ideal of America. 5 stars all around.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Big McHuge posted:

ed balls to the walls

good luck friend

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The guy who caused Trump to be shuffled off stage was holding a Republicans Against Trump sign.

And the judges say..... BIRDDOG

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

Nationals should get their first World Series appearance against the Indians, then beat them.

yes please

i think the indians are the last pre-expansion team with a streak dating back to before expansion started

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it

jackofarcades posted:

Re: Nate and 538

I think his model is just being broken by lovely polls and a bunch of undecideds. Tracking polls, Jeff Roe, Gravis, Emerson, and 50-state Surveys should actually all just be loving ignored. Emerson is rated B by 538 but they actually think very poorly of those polls. Survey Monkey and Google polls are given a lot of weight because they have a fuckload of LV. It's all garbage anywya.

I think adjusting for national trendlines is defensible. Now, I think there's really not that much volatility and we shouldn't worry too much about swings in national polls anyway, but given that 538 is "polls-only," it's a pretty good idea.

I don't know much about the state correlations though. Maybe this year they're borked because Trump is so weird or we have re-aligning elecorates or what not. I just don't see why I should be worried about Wisconsin just because Selzer has Trump up 7 in Iowa. Like, I get that they're similar in some demographics, but when Marquette has Clinton up 6, I'll trust them over some vague state correlations. People got really into state correlations in the primaries and thought Wisconsin meant Trump was doomed in Indiana, but he sure wasn't.

As for the polls themselves: There's enough polling from reputable firms to say "hey, well, I guess Trump could win." Trump+1 in NH, up in FLA/NV/NC... I can see the argument there. You can say "I see enough smoke that Trump's victory isn't completely implausible, going just off polls."

Now, I think we're at the point with early voting and stuff that we can say "Well, there could be a polling error or undecideds could break for Trump" is probably not gonna happen. And we can say "well, if NV is in the bag for Clinton, it makes his path way harder."

I agree with all of this, but I think the main takeaway is that, regardless of what specific thing Nate is doing, he's putting his thumb on the scales in a way no other polling aggregator is

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Big McHuge posted:

ed balls to the walls

:sever:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Joementum posted:

john podesta is in league with satan

Oh word? I thought that was in referene to a specific event, I knew about the general witchcraft accusation.

Someone repost that tweet about the Republican party reverting back to the 17 century and using witchcraft accusations to bring down a woman they don't like.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Prorat posted:

The guy who caused Trump to be shuffled off stage was holding a Republicans Against Trump sign.

And the judges say..... BIRDDOG

For fucks sake how does no one know how to properly plant these days?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

oystertoadfish posted:

sounds like you won life bingo d0g

also idk about the one guys thesis wrt martial monotheism but his thing about wanting to gently caress you seems to check out

gf isn't bout that poly life tho

Rubber Tucky
Oct 14, 2004

Next time I will pay attention while choosing my thread tags.

Big McHuge posted:

ed balls to the walls

Also :sever: baby parts and sell them

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

fart blood posted:

I'm sorry about your breakup :(

We actually get along quite well when not talking about politics, religion, race relations, etc.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Big McHuge posted:

Spend ~5 minutes explaining to her why she's wrong. If she listens, cool. If not, save yourself a lot of time and break up.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

anime tupac posted:

I agree with all of this, but I think the main takeaway is that, regardless of what specific thing Nate is doing, he's putting his thumb on the scales in a way no other polling aggregator is

he's p-hacking and doing that thing where p-hackers justify it to themselves because they're doing "the most statistics"

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

We actually get along quite well when not talking about politics, religion, race relations, etc.

I was with a girl where I thought this didn't matter. It did. Prepare. I mean "human beings would be beasts and anarchy reign without religion"

MaxNV
Jan 3, 2011

Big McHuge posted:

ed balls to the walls

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

I don't understand, is this the same Khan who Hillary got killed when she voted to go into Iraq?

And the Nugent thing, how is this different than the Jayz Beyoncé concert last night? The one that had less people show up to than Trumps rally that same day?

Trump will be the next president. Feels great!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Big McHuge posted:

sounds like a keeper lol

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
Doesn't really make sense that a trump crowd would be afraid of someone with a gun. They want everyone to carry guns all of the time. Weird.

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

fart blood posted:

For fucks sake how does no one know how to properly plant these days?

don't need to be good at deceiving people when all those people already want to get deceived by you

muscles that go unused eventually atrophy

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Nonsense posted:

I had a girl where I thought this didn't matter nor would ever come up. It did. Prepare.

:same:

get yourself a nasty and/or godless woman

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

anime tupac posted:

Hillary will win and he'll still be able to claim his model was correct because it says she was more likely to win than not.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Prorat posted:

I don't understand, is this the same Khan who Hillary got killed when she voted to go into Iraq?

And the Nugent thing, how is this different than the Jayz Beyoncé concert last night? The one that had less people show up to than Trumps rally that same day?

source yr quotes

MaxNV
Jan 3, 2011

https://twitter.com/chrimifi/status/795114976432095232

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

It's true. He did call it

https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/794355146822221824

anime tupac posted:

It could honestly just be a think where other models don't really account for the possibility of a huge undecided break toward Trump. It's hard to model because it's unusual. We're going to have record turnout but a bunch of RVs are undecided??? It's weird.

Edit: I want to be clear: I don't think Silver is "fudging," I think he's acting in good faith but his model just is a bit fragile because it's complicated. It also might just be sensing something that other people aren't, or it senses it quicker with the trendlines. That could be valuable, but maybe it's being hosed by lovely polls this time around.

jackofarcades fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Nov 6, 2016

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Prorat posted:

Of course he will. More halloween costumes of him were sold. Try to keep up

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

anotherone posted:

Doesn't really make sense that a trump crowd would be afraid of someone with a gun. They want everyone to carry guns all of the time. Weird.

Yeah totally why would the Trump crowd care if some psycho democrat who hates Trump had a gun at a Trump rally! It's not like the Democrats have used firebombs this election or destroy any and all property with a Trump sign/Sticker on it.

I SHARE MY ACCOUNT WITH OTHER PEOPLE

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

gf isn't bout that poly life tho

sounds like she needs to give his case a fair hearing

Sai
Sep 20, 2004

GAYS FOR DAYS posted:

Hillary will win and he'll still be able to claim his model was correct because it says she was more likely to win than not.

hillary will win and trump will give a presser that he beat romney, who is a poor schmuck by the way

MaxNV
Jan 3, 2011

Sai posted:

hillary will win and trump will give a presser that he beat romney, who is a poor schmuck by the way

He ruined my carpets!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

source yr quotes

source: himself.

I'll give him the Beyonce and Jay-Z thing, though, if you ignore that Nugent is a racist hick.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
My guess: the tracking polls will return to HRC +3-7 all around, he'll end up with an EC projection of about 320, it'll be close, and everyone will forget this poo poo anyway.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Big McHuge posted:

"So, uh, that second round Chopped basket, huh? Crazy, right? We can build a shared foundation on our TV shows, right?"

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/795113007173009409

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Prorat posted:

Yeah totally why would the Trump crowd care if some psycho democrat who hates Trump had a gun at a Trump rally! It's not like the Democrats have used firebombs this election or destroy any and all property with a Trump sign/Sticker on it.

I SHARE MY ACCOUNT WITH OTHER PEOPLE

• Locked thread