Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

_jink posted:

forests gimmick is upending a trashcan full of fairies and finshing them off with rhinoceroach combos. Also be prepared to see legendaries in (almost) every deck; the first and last rounds of drafts are heavily weighted towards rare cards iirc

It was sarcastic. As in "hey where the gently caress are my fairies. Oh, I guess the new forest gimmick is all these useless dudes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

_jink posted:

darkness (technically) has a higher ratio of good stuff, but every real deck requires a heap of classic cards anyway, so its pretty moot point. I've been doing about 60:40 classic:darkness.

Well, now I am the proud owner of *two* animated Zirnitras. They should serve as a nice piggy bank.

So, my dragon stuff now has

4x dragonnewt scholars, 1x dracomancer rite, 1x wyrm spire, 1x Genesis dragon, 1x dragonsong flute, 2x Zirnitras.

I'll try to build something with that poo poo. How do I survive until the late game?

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 6, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

m e m e s

There's so many meme decks I wish I could play, ambush sword being one of them. It sounds so bad and I want to play it so badly

trucutru posted:

Well, now I am the proud owner of *two* animated Zirnitras. They should serve as a nice piggy bank.

So, my dragon stuff now has

4x dragonnewt scholars, 1x dracomancer rite, 1x wyrm spire, 1x Genesis dragon, 1x dragonsong flute, 2x Zirnitras.

I'll try to build something with that poo poo. How do I survive until the late game?

Look at the dragon midrange decks I guess. You want fire lizards, removal spells, demon warriors, and that 4/5 ward that can't attack, or go hard on ramp cards and hope you can ramp up and drop like conflagration or neptune to clear board?

edit: here's two control dragon decks, check out what cards they use to get to late game
https://shadowverse.gamewith.jp/article/show/38984
https://shadowverse.gamewith.jp/article/show/24953

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Nov 6, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Such a dumb deck

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Do card packs open automatically? I seem to have gotten complete garbage if that's the case.

Also rerolling is just making new accounts until you open good stuff from packs? I guess I won't bother, that sounds like a lot of :effort:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Nov 6, 2016

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
After a week of play and 7 runs, arena feels a lot easier than Hearthstone, I guess it's because of all the new players like me. Although I have been matched with a fair number of Japanese names and low player ID #s. My first foray was a bad 1-4 run with the shittiest Swordcraft deck ever (didn't get offered a single good early drop and my curve peaked at like 5-drops). After that it's been 3-2-, 4-1, 4-1, 4-1, 4-1, 4-1. All different classes too. I've been 4-0 twice and both times met absolutely INSANE decks, as in I curved out pretty good and my opponent still had full board and lethal set-up by turn 5 (first time against Swordcraft) and 6 (second against Haven) respectively. Other than those two there's been no games that felt unwinnable even when I did lose.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is Dark Angel Olivia good? She's the first legendary I think I've gotten.

Other ones I got are Bloody Mary, Sun Oracle Pascale, Odin, Lord of Flies (x2), Skullfane, Merlin, Queen Vampire, Moon Al-mi'raj, and Beast Dominator. Any of them good?

Insurrectionist posted:

After a week of play and 7 runs, arena feels a lot easier than Hearthstone, I guess it's because of all the new players like me. Although I have been matched with a fair number of Japanese names and low player ID #s. My first foray was a bad 1-4 run with the shittiest Swordcraft deck ever (didn't get offered a single good early drop and my curve peaked at like 5-drops). After that it's been 3-2-, 4-1, 4-1, 4-1, 4-1, 4-1. All different classes too. I've been 4-0 twice and both times met absolutely INSANE decks, as in I curved out pretty good and my opponent still had full board and lethal set-up by turn 5 (first time against Swordcraft) and 6 (second against Haven) respectively. Other than those two there's been no games that felt unwinnable even when I did lose.

Yeah I did terribly the first time but managed to go 5-0 on my second run.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 6, 2016

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Cuntellectual posted:

Is Dark Angel Olivia good? She's the first legendary I think I've gotten.

Other ones I got are Bloody Mary, Sun Oracle Pascale, Odin, Lord of Flies (x2), Skullfane, Merlin, Queen Vampire, Moon Al-mi'raj, and Beast Dominator. Any of them good?

Only bad ones from that list are Skullfane and Beast Dominator. Beast Dominator is probably the worst legendary in the game, even. The rest of your legendaries all range from pretty good to excellent.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Holy poo poo I'm tilted, all five matches I went first

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
queen vampire, lord of the flies and to a lesser extent mary are great cards, but they're also primarily played in decks that cost like 96128 vials, so be aware of that

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Dragoncraft has been giving me heaps of trouble regardless of who I play as. It seems like a really solid strategy to be busting out 8/8 base units by turn six and I'm just not really sure what the counterplay is

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Dragoncraft has been giving me heaps of trouble regardless of who I play as. It seems like a really solid strategy to be busting out 8/8 base units by turn six and I'm just not really sure what the counterplay is

Removal. For Sword/Shadow, there's Bane. For Haven, you can banish them (sometimes you need to hit them once first). Forest can bounce things back to their hand. Not sure about the rest.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

AfroSquirrel posted:

Removal. For Sword/Shadow, there's Bane. For Haven, you can banish them (sometimes you need to hit them once first). Forest can bounce things back to their hand. Not sure about the rest.

Yeaaaah with removal being the key to beating them I guess it's expected that my aggro sword deck is having trouble. I just put together my own budget dragon deck to take for a spin, I'm gonna try to get more of the achievements

edit: update on said dragon deck:

:laffo:

RazzleDazzleHour fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 6, 2016

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Good hand.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Went 3-2 and 2-3 with dragons tonight. The 3-2 was so promising too because it had Olivia and Zirnitra but I lost to a Shadowed Assassin and Cursed General wombo combo and to a Rose Queen deck of all things.

The 2-3 run was just bad and unlucky with me going first all five times. But even more than that were the 3 Draconification I got stuck with. It also had the Golden Dragons Den and Dracomancer's Rites combo. I managed to play that combo twice, the first time it won me the game while making me one turn away from killing myself by drawing out my whole deck, and the second time I played it caused me the game because I couldn't recover the board. I don't remember what bad cards I was avoiding over picking the draconification but I'm definitely putting it on the super high priority of garbage to absolutely avoid now.

And now I just went 5-0 with a sword deck

The maid leader and Alexander were the MVPs of the deck and altered fate even won me a game by replacing my useless hand of 7 cards with a much better hand. The closest match of the series was versus another sword deck with Olivia where I had to make full use of all four legendaries to pull out ahead.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Is there a cheap to mid-price Forest deck that would acquire things usable on the way to the pricey decks? I enjoy playing against Forest decks because when I lose it really feels like I was just outplayed. They seem like they have so many tricks and decision points and I love decks that have lots of moving resources around from zone to zone.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Where are you harvesting arena tickets from? If you go 4-1 does it just pay for itself? I've only managed to go 3-2, granted I've only tried twice

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the op links to a defensive list based around path to purgatory; my gut instinct is that running ptp without ancient elf in an aggro-heavy metagame (i.e every rank below A) will be horrible, but it's an option

you can also build a fairly aggressive take on the deck with the standard tempo package and just count on cynthia to carry you through matches against bad decks; this is what i did before i had any legendaries and it kicked rear end at C, lemee dig up the list

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
disclaimer: this list is loving awful, but it was enough to rack up like 75% wins at rank c

3 Water Fairy
3 Elf Child May
3 Nature's Guidance
3 Fairy Circle
3 Fairy Whisperer
3 Elf Metallurgist (you almost certainly want blessed fairy dancer here if you have em)
2 Rhinoceroach (i only had 2)
3 Dwarf Perfumer (use elf girl liza instead if you have em)
3 Sylvan Justice
1 Angelic Barrage
3 Elven Princess Mage
1 Wind God (probably want more here???)
3 Dance of Death
2 Yuel the Ancient (great vs. aggro, i.e the entirety of the low rank meta)
1 Crystalia Tia (from my starting roll)
3 Elf Knight Cynthia (pulling 3 in like 3 days is why i built this deck)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
come to think of it, that list is basically 5 broken legendaries away from the forest list i use today

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Where are you harvesting arena tickets from? If you go 4-1 does it just pay for itself? I've only managed to go 3-2, granted I've only tried twice

If you're lucky 4 wins could pay for itself. According to https://shadowverse.gamewith.jp/article/show/36039 you can get 120~180 gold for going 4-1. 5 wins is the dream though since it's almost double the reward of 4-1. I got 4k gold so I can just play as much arena as I want to.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

If you're lucky 4 wins could pay for itself. According to https://shadowverse.gamewith.jp/article/show/36039 you can get 120~180 gold for going 4-1. 5 wins is the dream though since it's almost double the reward of 4-1. I got 4k gold so I can just play as much arena as I want to.

Jesus, how long have you been playing for? Then again, I'm pretty sure I blew 1600 gold earlier today on card packs...

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Like around a month? It's not hard to get gold in this game because of the dailies/login and monthly score rewards

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

Do card packs open automatically? I seem to have gotten complete garbage if that's the case.

Also rerolling is just making new accounts until you open good stuff from packs? I guess I won't bother, that sounds like a lot of :effort:

You can't really miss the pack opening, so you probably haven't opened any of them. Go to the shop and buy packs with the tickets you have.

Yes, rerolling is exactly that.

edit:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Jesus, how long have you been playing for? Then again, I'm pretty sure I blew 1600 gold earlier today on card packs...

I started playing 15 days ago (daily login reward just looped around), but I'm also sitting at 4300 gold. I didn't spend any on packs (because arena is almost always better if you have the time), but I did buy the Vampy-skin.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Nov 6, 2016

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

That feeling when you first-pick Rose Queen and get offered like 2 more fairy-making cards the whole draft. Forest's gimmick is big unwieldy fuckin 6-8 drops, right? And what business does an A-rank sword with Tsubaki and Otohime have meeting me in the 2-2 anyway?

a lot of bad players pick sword too

the solution is to not pick forest to play around fairies, because a lot of the good fairy makers are not at common

or alternatively, to not pick forest.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I've been spending more time than I like to admit trying to defeat Elite Erika for that sweet 200 gold.

Fuckity gently caress gently caress Otohime you piece of poo poo fish princess go away goddamnit.

EDIT: Naturally after I bitched about it on an internet forum I got a good tempo and won. :v:

I got Enstatued Seraph from one of my packs, which is apparently so special I got an emblem for pulling it. It seems incredibly gimmicky but is it actually a good card to mess with in combination with countdown reduction cards? I imagine you'd want a full set rather than just one though...

YoshiOfYellow fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 6, 2016

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I've been spending more time than I like to admit trying to defeat Elite Erika for that sweet 200 gold.

Fuckity gently caress gently caress Otohime you piece of poo poo fish princess go away goddamnit.

EDIT: Naturally after I bitched about it on an internet forum I got a good tempo and won. :v:

I got Enstatued Seraph from one of my packs, which is apparently so special I got an emblem for pulling it. It seems incredibly gimmicky but is it actually a good card to mess with in combination with countdown reduction cards? I imagine you'd want a full set rather than just one though...

If there is anything I've learned in this game is that you basically want a full set of almost anything. With forty cards on your deck and only 4 at the start, by the time you get to the round where you can play your big minion 2/3s of your cards will still be on your deck.

Like, the deck I am playing (banner sword) has effectively 6 cards that you can draw to get a banner and even after doing hard mulligans looking for them, in a good fourth of my games I don't get the a stupid banner on time. The variance in this game is a big deal.

Also, while my sword deck is cheap and lets me win games, I am basically completely at the mercy of my draw. Which is normal for a rush deck but somehow it seems even worse than in Heartstone or other card games.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
So uh

I've been stuck here for half an hour without anything happening. I could quit out of the game I guess, but I don't know if that would count as a loss or not. Anyone know what I should do?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I've had three games in a row now where my opponent makes an intelligent tempo play, and if you were looking at the board you'd assume I was toast

And then I drop eight damage from my hand anyway, because who really expects to be killed at 11 or 12 life?

Banner sword is bursty as hell and it owns. Are there any gold or legendary cards I should be slotting in now that I have liquid to spare? I already have one copy of Otohime.

inthesto fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 6, 2016

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Golden Battler posted:

So uh

I've been stuck here for half an hour without anything happening. I could quit out of the game I guess, but I don't know if that would count as a loss or not. Anyone know what I should do?

My advice is don't let the terrorists win; ride it out.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lord Atomy :allears:

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm29356661

Summary:

Turn 1 Burial Grounds
Turn 2 Ghoul's Banquet, Skeleton Fighter, Atomy
Turn 3: Buff Atomy to 10, attack
Turn 4: Attack for lethal

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

trucutru posted:

If there is anything I've learned in this game is that you basically want a full set of almost anything. With forty cards on your deck and only 4 at the start, by the time you get to the round where you can play your big minion 2/3s of your cards will still be on your deck.

Like, the deck I am playing (banner sword) has effectively 6 cards that you can draw to get a banner and even after doing hard mulligans looking for them, in a good fourth of my games I don't get the a stupid banner on time. The variance in this game is a big deal.

Also, while my sword deck is cheap and lets me win games, I am basically completely at the mercy of my draw. Which is normal for a rush deck but somehow it seems even worse than in Heartstone or other card games.

Well that's just the natural of a deck like banner sword that completely relies on draws and mulligans to get one of the six cards you need to get your engine started and there's no other card in the deck that allows an alternative win condition. That's why good decks like elana/seraph hybrid and tempo/ptp forest have multiple ways of winning without drawing its most important card or decks like dshift rune and ptp forest just search the poo poo out of their decks for their important card. Basically when you play a fast deck like standard banner sword and face dragon you just have to face the fact that sometimes you can't draw the cards you need and you can't win because of it.

There's some modifications you can make to banner if you want to make it a little less reliable of solely having banner to be able to win: you can put in assault commanders which allows you keep pressure up at the cost of no longer being able to do a six turn maid + banner play; you can also try wind gods who won't effect maid leader but it won't enable cards that combo with commanders like ruthless assassin and it's also only a 2/5 drop, 4/7 once evolved; and then there's legendaries like tsubaki and gabriel that you can put into the deck who slows the deck but does good work.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Golden Battler posted:

So uh

I never experienced it but apparently there's a drop hack in the past? Or your game could've just bugged out or you're the one who actually disconnected without any hacks? What I see japanese streamers do is repeatly click on the top left options/menu button and back out of it. After like two minutes you should just accept the disconnect lost if it will count against you.

Vanilla Mint Ice fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 6, 2016

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?
This is my kinda turn around, quit hitting me in the face!

Just broke into B0 today too.

Drakes fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 6, 2016

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
So I noticed this in take two, shadowcraft has a combo that can generate 13 shadows and a 20 shadow cost unit to make a 15/15. How bad is this combo when playing the game normally? Bloody thing also has storm.

InfinityComplex fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Nov 6, 2016

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

InfinityComplex posted:

So I noticed this in take two, shadowcraft has a combo that can generate 13 shadows and a 20 shadow cost unit to make a 15/15. How bad is this combo when playing the game normally? Bloody thing also has storm.

It's not at all a problem. Too unreliable and generally too slow.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I've gone five 4-1 in a row and gotten 130 four times and 120 + 20 Vials one time. Either my luck is garbage or I imagine the lower rolls are weighed more than higher ones/it's just wrong.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

I mean, that's your own small sample size of five versus everyone who posted their findings on that site but I don't doubt it's more weighted in the lower end

Oh god what have I done someone help me

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Were you worried about the roaches?

Too bad! It's actually the legendary fairy princess into a silverbolt combo :boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

milward
Nov 5, 2009

I am still working on an Elena deck, and I bought 2 decrees for the vials i got for starting up.

I still miss one decree and 2 Elenas and I use a Seraph instead of an Odin and I have a Soul Dealer, a Gabriel and an animated Zirnitra spare.
Dragon and blood are those least interesting for me, should I liquefy some one or two of those legendaries for the last golds I need for the elena deck?

I also have a second Olivia, should she go in to the deck instead of something?

• Locked thread