Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
They're not frontline combatants if they're manning the mortars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

i am completely unable to enjoy xcom ever again because of this once-held opinion uttered by a twitter man and my past enjoyment of xcom now gives me ptsd, help

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Thefluffy posted:

look, all I care about is the possibility of child labor and child solders as DF left a bitter taste in my mouth about those useless eaters in what is supposed to be a survival thing. :commissar:

Child Soldiers? poo poo, DF has child weapons

Mothers bashing goblins to death with their babbies :black101:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Omnicarus posted:

If they do that enough does the baby get a new name and ** tags?

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Omnicarus posted:

That is the :3: thing. "Little Urist killed 3 goblins today"; you know Mom did most of the work but he's just so proud! :allears:

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Azhais posted:

I've found the climbable embrasures to be mostly useless. They don't slow down the enemies any more than a sandbag really, and last time I had a "climbable" embrasure mod installed they didn't provide any more cover than a sandbag either

With the Medieval Mod the other benefit to embrasures and parapets is that they can be made out of something other than steel like the sand bags. So if you have access to a lot of tough stone like granite you can make pretty tough walls you can shoot through.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Decided to play on a non-mountainous map since I always end up building a large underground facility rather than an open town sort of thing. Ended up just building an aboveground facility :cripes: I am a man of habit.

I've also discovered the power of ingredient radiuses, which is great because now I can ensure my block-cutters are only processing rocks from the trash room and not walking half a mile away to go get a rock :v: I've also started putting chairs in front of all my stations which people seem to be enjoying.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
wait, is that something that they actually use? I thought toble scrooge was a fan of ergonomic standing work environments and that that was just how the pawns were supposed to work...

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

McGiggins posted:

wait, is that something that they actually use? I thought toble scrooge was a fan of ergonomic standing work environments and that that was just how the pawns were supposed to work...

No, your pawns are very uncomfortable.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

McGiggins posted:

Yeah chuck a bit human skin armchair on top of all your working areas.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

get HOYPe

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

*furiously masturbating*

*not bi*

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I couldnt see it so i rehosted it on Imgur

:getin::getin::getin:

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Late to the party, duder.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I'm excited for A16 to come out before CCL is released for A15

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Yeah, RIP CCL. Can modders get around it by recreating the sections of CCL that they need or something? What even is CCL?

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003

Hihohe posted:

I couldnt see it so i rehosted it on Imgur

:getin::getin::getin:

So will it be possible to have multiple colonies or is this just to settle an area ONCE then use the rest for raiding other places?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
I cannot wait to send my lovely squabbling unhappy pawns to the fuckin quarry settlement to cut blocks and eat raw veggies for the rest of their miserable lives

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Millie is going to go on a solo raid to the pirate base.

Not like she can do anything useful for the base.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Does that mean I can finally have Emmie :frogout:

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Leal posted:

Does that mean I can finally have Emmie :frogout:

If you can send villagers on solo raids, yes.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I'm excited for A16 to come out before CCL is released for A15

CCL should be out sometime this month (it's pretty close to ready now), A16 definitely won't be.

tuyop posted:

Yeah, RIP CCL. Can modders get around it by recreating the sections of CCL that they need or something? What even is CCL?

The most widely used CCL feature, Detours, is pretty trivially copied in the common, easy cases, which is why a lot of mods have removed their CCL dependency. (Detours are an implementation of "monkey patching", letting you replace base game code with your own).

Aside from that, the biggest feature for mods is that it supports "advanced" nutrient paste dispensers/automated factories, which take materials from hoppers and dispense foods/drugs/whatever. Aside from that, there are a number of miscellaneous "Defs" which allow modders to do things like add in additional pawn backstories or default outfits in the outfit manager.

The main player visible features are a mod settings screen, a minimap, and a help menu which gives you info about stats for all the various things you can make/eat/kill.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Every mod that I care about is already updated except the extended storage mod that let's you build pallets as a stockpile and store a shitload of anything in a 2 tile spot. I'll start a new game when that comes out...

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

oh god raiders decided to flee by burrowing through the ancient area just outside my compound entrance

looks like we won't be getting visitors for a while!!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Man Musk posted:

oh god raiders decided to flee by burrowing through the ancient area just outside my compound entrance

looks like we won't be getting visitors for a while!!

Last time I had that happen the guy dug out one wall, then ran away and the entire mechanoid swarm attacked my base as the pirates fled the map

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Raiders opening an ancient evil before I've gotten settled into the map is the most annoying loving thing. Half the map off-limits to my retarded pawns, all the visitors get murdered and then burnt to a crisp so I don't even get their stuff, and I almost always lose a bunch of people clearing it.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Oh my loving god this game.

I let a bug infestation get so bad it managed to take out two caravans (of good weapons, like a spear made with whatever valancium is, 25k dollars by itself), five groups of "friendlies" attempting to help, *and* a psychic ship crash (complete with minigun-toting sandworm). Finally realized mortars can shoot really far, set up a whole bunch of artillery and managed to set enough of it on fire that I could take the few remaining bugs out with a sniper rifle.

This was after three seasons of quite literally no components; I managed to buy enough to create a component workbench but didn't realize none of my colonists have even close to the minimum crafting ability necessary.

Now my entire settlement is walled off, I've tapped four steam vents for my power needs, and raiders of any kind (even these insane modded Federation Peacekeepers) get gunned down by my military-grade turrets and shredder turrets upon entering the facility.

I can't wait for the next alpha.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
Is there a way within either vanilla or with a mod to break down old clothing? I swear I have 30 pairs of pants that are shoddy or worse and they're just taking up space in my storage area.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Twlight posted:

Is there a way within either vanilla or with a mod to break down old clothing? I swear I have 30 pairs of pants that are shoddy or worse and they're just taking up space in my storage area.

Incinerator.

HeartNotes3
Jun 25, 2013
At least all the new thread activity reminded me this game will run on my piece of poo poo laptop so I have something to do this week when I'm not feeling creative yet.

Anyone know how soon the new build will drop, including other settlements (I think that's what the teaser was)?

I actually don't really care one way or another about my pawn's digital orientations but I really really wish there was a system for inheritance/adoption/the next generation and better attraction handling. I remember getting really happy some of my pawns fell in love but that was crushed when I found out that there's no system for kids yet, just random strangers who wander in and join you... it's like you're running some kind of hippie cult or something.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I just have an area outside of my home zone that I designate for corpses and apparel under a certain quality. Then I have my resident psychopath (who is good for nothing else) who is armed with molotov's to torch it all.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

I'm pretty sure the tailoring bench that comes with the Medieval mod lets you deconstruct simple clothing and get some of the cloth/materials back.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Ok I'm seeing conflicting information. What's the minimum bedroom size to avoid bad thoughts, and what's the minimum work / rec / dining room size to get good thoughts?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
^^^ Also, when people give those dimensions (say 6x6) is that the size of the room with walls, or just the area in the walls?

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Glenn Quebec posted:

I just have an area outside of my home zone that I designate for corpses and apparel under a certain quality. Then I have my resident psychopath (who is good for nothing else) who is armed with molotov's to torch it all.

They will also disintegrate on their own if left in an area without a roof. I usually just set up a stockpile outdoors for items <30% quality to become my landfill

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013
the 5x5 7x7 etc. refers to the floor size within the walls.

Bedroom size really doesn't matter so much, since mood modifiers don't affect sleeping pawns.

If you want to have them not be cramped though, keep the bed in the center, away from the walls.

Really, it's not a big deal to hollow out giant spacious bedrooms, but when you have other priorities, a simple cubby with a cot will suffice.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
A16 screenshots look great, I'm binging through the Witcher 3 at the moment but I really need to each get into space or die on my A15 save. I'm going super cautiously and economically which means we're safe as can be but spend a lot of time building up defenses and cleaning up from the last raid.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
someone repost all the A16 screenies or else lets have a rousing discussion on gender roles in rimworld

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
what about mod discussion? like these historical weapons mods: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=790242814&searchtext= :france: and of loving course http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=793443438&searchtext= :godwinning:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
One of my construction bots has a hairpiece.

10/10 mod of the year.