Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

I said come in! posted:

Americans enjoy seeing people be murdered, so calling for justice doesn't make a lot of sense.

Dredd is really cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That doesn't stop lots of cold-war era movies being about nuclear armageddon, or lots of movies in the past decade relying on 9/11-inspired visual imagery.

There's a good way and a bad way. You can lean on real-world issues while still maintaining the escapism movies provide, but there's a difference between establishing connections between the movie's events and real-world events, and just having real-world events be in the movie like it's supposed to take place in our real world. That movie with the Twilight guy that turned out to be about 9/11 is what I'd consider to be the ur-example of the bad way.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Dredd is really cool though.

It is.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I love seeing Dredd kill people in the name of justice. Where does that put me?

Holy poo poo I never realized how much I wanted a Dredd open world game in the vein of True Crime.

Edit: ideally you wouldn't play AS Dredd though.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Grapplejack died as she lived: in a terrible situation that was probably my fault.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Snak posted:

I love seeing Dredd kill people in the name of justice. Where does that put me?

Holy poo poo I never realized how much I wanted a Dredd open world game in the vein of True Crime.

Edit: ideally you wouldn't play AS Dredd though.

God could you imagine playing a Drug Warlord and trying to stop Dredd from wrecking your poo poo. Probably the most tense poo poo ever.

I mean the actual Judge Dredd games were horrible. Granted I guess it was pretty hilarious cuffing everybody for the most silliest poo poo ever.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I was thinking you would play another Judge.

So Deadly Tower of Monsters is neat. I don't actually like the gameplay at all, so probably not gonna finish it, but the whole concept is neat and the execution is pretty good.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Snak posted:

I was thinking you would play another Judge.

Part of me would think that would be boring but then again Judges are assholes by default, so it probably wouldn't deter much from the gameplay.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
im playing ML BTHE SHOW

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Can you believe some people think dogs are cuter than cats

they're both alright, but my bird just said "gimme a kiss!" and hit his beak on my nose and made a kiss noise, and also says "c'mere" when he wants me to pick him up, and he has a tiny skateboard that he can do tiny kickflips on, and he angrily yells "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP!!" when i won't give him my whiskey, so birds are my favorite.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Dogs are good people, cats are bad people.

Birds aren't people

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

Dogs are good people, cats are bad people.

Birds aren't people

This is the worst post I have every seen in the chat thread.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My cat drools when she purrs, and she is the best cat.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Hopefully we have enough drones, also Kite has an exosuit with a rocket launcher now.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Dogs, cats and birds are all good people. Birds are weirdly more like dogs than cats, in my experience, but the fact that you can teach them human words, and sometimes what those words mean, owns.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Bicyclops posted:

Dogs, cats and birds are all good people. Birds are weirdly more like dogs than cats, in my experience, but the fact that you can teach them human words, and sometimes what those words mean, owns.

:siren:WARNING: THIS SONG IS NOT FROM A VIDEO GAME:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh6Qla-OQ-M

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Some great video game birds include Rauru, the tutorial eagle, Falco, Fox's sidekick, the dove that leads you to Cyan in Final Fantasy VI, and the big bird that you get for getting all the orbs in Dragon Quest 3, who leads you tot he Archfiend Baramos, whose names is unknown in the world of men. And that's not all - there are many more!!

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's a cool bird in The Mark of Kri.

Also there's a bird spirit guardian who has braided hair in the upcoming Nioh. How cool is that.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I am digging the save birds in Link Between Worlds. They're kinda like robots or something though.

EDIT: Dyna Blade, From Kirby

codenameFANGIO fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 6, 2016

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

My favorite birds were always the lil ones in Harvest Moon that scatter when you leave your house

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bicyclops posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uguXNL93fWg

Bicyclops posted:

Some great video game birds include Rauru, the tutorial eagle, Falco, Fox's sidekick, the dove that leads you to Cyan in Final Fantasy VI, and the big bird that you get for getting all the orbs in Dragon Quest 3, who leads you tot he Archfiend Baramos, whose names is unknown in the world of men. And that's not all - there are many more!!

People hate on Kaepora Gaebora because they make him accidentally repeat himself, but he was a friendly wise owl who wanted to help Link on his quest.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlisrN7Dl6w

Here's one of my favorite video game birds.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah, it's also complicated, because the story of Doctor Strange going to Tibet and learning magic isn't like it's being respectful of actual Tibetan culture. So moreso than in most cases, this one is kind of blurry, since fetishism of vague eastern philosophy is probably better than misrepresenting actual culture.

It just would have been a great opportunity to make a statement. Like right now China is bulldozing Larung Gar, the largest monastic community of Tibetan Buddhist. The exact sort of thing that heroes like the Avengers would be against if they were real. Super heroes are supposed to be about sticking up for the defenseless, and I just think its sad that films about heroes can't bring attention to real injustices happening in the world even as they draw inspiration from its victims.

Doctor Strange being pro-Tibet would have been super cool.

How do you think Captain America would feel about the Dakota Access Pipeline?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
Doctor Strange was p cool tho. Mads was criminally underused and many of the jokes were either badly timed or just bad, but the visual effects are crazy good and Strange has a good character arc

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

How do you think Captain America would feel about the Dakota Access Pipeline?

I'm talking about a change that was made from the comics to appease China because it's very profitable to appease China.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Snak posted:

I'm talking about a change that was made from the comics to appease China because it's very profitable to appease China.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
When I did QA on the first Civ Rev it was a big thing about porting the game for China. Not cause of languages or anything, but because they had Mao Zedong as a leader, and if they had kept him in the game for china he wouldn't be allowed to lose according to their laws since Mao is infallible.. So they had to decide on a new civ leader for China and special units just to make sure Mao wasn't offended.

So stupid poo poo cause of China isn't exactly new in nerd poo poo.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Lizard Wizard posted:

Took out that relay, but Red Bones is now just bones.

FirstAidKite posted:

Liz Wiz you missed a chance to say "Red Bones is now Ded Bones"

Golden Goat posted:

Rip Red Bones.

The tragic story behind my ghostly av, revealed at last

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

XCOM's hiring! :shepface:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

More powerful, more extreme

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Grapplejack died as she lived: in a terrible situation that was probably my fault.

drat it. She tried, at least.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Owlboy is really really good, but is probably not $25 worth of game.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I think I'm just gonna start over tomorrow. :negative:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Snak posted:

Yes, and I'm asking you a hypothetical question

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
It depends on who is writing him

lame answer, but the truthiest one. Cap's been all over the place, from "red-blooded are guns are guns" to "super hippy striving to fight for the american dream and to provide it to the globe"

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lizard Wizard posted:

I think I'm just gonna start over tomorrow. :negative:
Oh no you don't, you see this wreck out to the bitter end :colbert:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

CrashCat posted:

Oh no you don't, you see this wreck out to the bitter end :colbert:

Sorry, I can't hear you over the new campaign I just started.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

When Trump's alien paymasters land and take over north america I'm blaming you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Figured I'd play around with the colors on FAK. Why box myself in? :v:

Anyway I'm tired and I'll remake more troops tomorrow, Oddium's definitely in

• Locked thread