Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Accretionist posted:

Is there a white celebrity generally regarded as the most attractive?

I'm curious about Chinese vs US aesthetics here.

I'm very beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Each has his own merits.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My high school girl students have mentioned being into Leonardo DiCaprio and Benedict Cumberbatch.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Chinese people make good sushi

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Grand Fromage posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch.

I don't understand this bizarre looking man's appeal to any demographic

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

BONGHITZ posted:

Chinese people make good sushi

Koreans make the best Japanese food. Not a fake post.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx

Accretionist posted:

Is there a white celebrity generally regarded as the most attractive?

I'm curious about Chinese vs US aesthetics here.

we like loving benedict cumberbatch sow e really cant talk

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Accretionist posted:

I thought he was good in that Alan Turing thing. And OK as Khan. And he has good line delivery.

So, weird looking, but not explicitly ugly, well-spoken, capable, but still a social outsider? Sounds like a Tumblrista's wet dream.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Accretionist posted:

they love Mr. Bean, too, because he has big eyes, so cute, do you know?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

This was like 5 pages ago so sorry for bringing it back up, but isn't the whole native speaker hears someone speaking their language who isn't obviously also a native and doesn't understand them an established thing that happens? I remember reading about it but forget if it had a fancy name.

Anecdotally I had a friend in college who was half Japanese and grew up in Japan until high school but looked pretty not Japanese and she said she constantly had people telling her "sorry I can't speak English" even though she was speaking 100% raised in Japan native Japanese.

My Chinese ain't the best in the world but I've had whole phone conversations with delivery men and people who understood me fine on the phone then looked at me with blank stares when we talked irl. So either I have baller phone Chinese and poo poo in person Chinese or there is something going on there.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
can somebody translate that video because lmao

is it the same lines over and over again ?

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

simplefish posted:

Speaking of cement, I was trying to buy some (in Cantonese) and after asking me two or three questions about what size of bag I wanted etc he just totally flipped and told me he didn't have any and to go away. There were bags of cement everywhere and he was wheeling them into the shop as I arrived. But he didn't have any.

Twat.
He probably guessed that he could only sell one bag to you. Hardly worth the valuable time of an entrepreneur such as himself!

I swear, it's like they give injections to small business owners that turn them into a pack of greedy, venal bastards.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

UltraRed posted:

Koreans make the best Japanese food. Not a fake post.

:chloe:

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Pon de Bundy posted:

and the penalty for weed possession is what? shot after a dumb trial?

For a foreigner: I you test positive in a raid you may or may not be charged with anything, it depends on why the raid was run and how politically strict the city is. If you get caught holding less than 20g you'll do 10-days in jail and be given a week to leave the country. If you have more than 20g your hosed.

For native it's much harsher.

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

ladron posted:

really, how did chinese singing ever become a thing that was not meant strictly for punishment

There's a tiny little park near me where a bunch of old guys go to play traditional instruments. I used to enjoy going there to chillout sometimes but now a bunch of old women show up with them and screech loving terrible Beijing opera poo poo that makes you want to stab yourself in the eardrum.

Magna Kaser posted:

This was like 5 pages ago so sorry for bringing it back up, but isn't the whole native speaker hears someone speaking their language who isn't obviously also a native and doesn't understand them an established thing that happens? I remember reading about it but forget if it had a fancy name.

Anecdotally I had a friend in college who was half Japanese and grew up in Japan until high school but looked pretty not Japanese and she said she constantly had people telling her "sorry I can't speak English" even though she was speaking 100% raised in Japan native Japanese.

My Chinese ain't the best in the world but I've had whole phone conversations with delivery men and people who understood me fine on the phone then looked at me with blank stares when we talked irl. So either I have baller phone Chinese and poo poo in person Chinese or there is something going on there.

My Chinese is absolutely loving dire, yet everyone seems to understand me perfectly. People get visibly annoyed with me sometimes when I don't understand them as if I'm pretending not to speak Chinese to piss them off.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I speak absolutely terrible italian and spanish and usually get along just fine (yo quiero una comida con carne de pollo por favor). Working in a tourist city i also meet people weekly who are trying to ask a question in horrible english and can usually figure out what they want.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

peak debt posted:

I speak absolutely terrible italian and spanish and usually get along just fine (yo quiero una comida con carne de pollo por favor). Working in a tourist city i also meet people weekly who are trying to ask a question in horrible english and can usually figure out what they want.

it seems that you don't understand the fundamental point that native spanish and italian speakers are not taught every day of their lives that there is no way a non native speaker can ever learn their language

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

There's a tiny little park near me where a bunch of old guys go to play traditional instruments. I used to enjoy going there to chillout sometimes but now a bunch of old women show up with them and screech loving terrible Beijing opera poo poo that makes you want to stab yourself in the eardrum.

those old men are getting mad grey sideways snatch tho now, don't be jelly

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Magna Kaser posted:

It is 100% an actual phenomenon that I have witnessed countless times. Seeing a fluent speaker who has all of the tones perfectly mastered (who is white or black) being met with blank stares, even after they say, "Hello, I am speaking Mandarin, can you hear me?" and being met with them saying they don't speak English (in Mandarin) is so surreal. Seeing the same Chinese person being exposed to the same foreigner, dozens of times over a month, and still not understanding her is absolutely maddening.

Then again I've also had the opposite happen where I say "ni hao" and they proceed to tell me their life's story at 180mph.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
boy it sure is great seeing the Dunning-Krueger effect in full swing across so many different backgrounds of so many different people!

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

The Great Autismo! posted:

boy it sure is great seeing the Dunning-Krueger effect in full swing across so many different backgrounds of so many different people!

dude, I don't want to argue with you, but it's not the D-K effect when I have a conversation with someone on the phone and then 5 minutes later the same person can't understand me face to face and just goes "No English!" over and over or has a conversation with me then taps the cash register display like I'm some type of linguistic savant but I somehow don't know numbers

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ladron posted:

dude, I don't want to argue with you, but it's not the D-K effect when I have a conversation with someone on the phone and then 5 minutes later the same person can't understand me face to face and just goes "No English!" over and over or has a conversation with me then taps the cash register display like I'm some type of linguistic savant but I somehow don't know numbers

i was joking, lol

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

I also don't understand sarcasm

Khorne
May 1, 2002

It's kinda true, because this happens with english speakers as well. There are tons of people who whine about chinese/indian/french/australian/whatever non-american accent teachers/service people and how they can't understand them and their thought process is so different blablabla in situations where it doesn't loving matter. I've heard countless complaints about one professor who, as far as I am concerned, doesn't even have an accent even though he has a slight one. It's less of an accent than the difference between someone from the north eastern US and someone from cali. And I'm talking people with "neutral" accents from those places not your stereotypical boston/new yorker and california accents.

If you are joe loving nobody from china you have even more of an excuse to not understand it because there aren't a lot of foreigners speaking your language. But with the accent differences amongst native english speakers who speak the same language, it just makes no drat sense to me.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Nov 6, 2016

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
to be honest i don't believe it to be the dunning-kruger effect very much at all, i think when it comes to communication it depends how much the listener is trying. like when i'm in the countryside with my wife and her family, none of them have any problem understanding me even though my japanese is total and utter garbage, because they are really listening and trying to figure out what i'm saying. this is the same for me when anyone tries speaking english to me, after living abroad and spending the last like 8 years in europe and asia, i really try hard to understand when people are talking to me, because i know it's not their native language.

it wouldn't surprise me if people working jobs that are like minimum wage jobs just shut down when they see a foreigner show up and don't even really think about putting in any effort at all to understanding the conversation or problem because they just assume they aren't going to understand what the person is saying based on the fact that they are a different race than the language they already speak.

today i was leaving the pool that i swim at and there was this little kid crying hysterically, so i kinda waited a minute and he saw me and kept crying, so i kinda approached him and was like "are you ok?" and he said he couldn't find his dad, so i went over and sat on the bench next to his bench and talked with him for like 8 minutes until his dad showed up. the kid, who i learned was 6, had zero problem at all answering any of my questions or conversing with me, and i think that's because he really wanted to converse with someone, because he was a six year old, crying hysterically, all alone. which kinda pissed me off that so many people were just walking by and ignoring this bawling six year old. anyway his dad came eventually and was freakin' out and i talked to him for a minute and the dad was really nice and thanked me in english and chinese. so in that situation, regardless of the fact that i'm a foreigner, this kid really wanted to talk to someone, so he was able to hold a conversation, even though i look nothing like a han chinese person does.

who knows though, that's just a theory and i have no backing to it whatsoever.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fE4wAg1vyM&t=30s

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

what a strange trick

Khorne
May 1, 2002

who knows though, that's just a theory and i have no backing to it whatsoever.
The dunning-kruger is blaming it on them being chinese (or japanese). As in, the person's ability to evaluate the prevalence of understanding foreigners within a culture is heavily biased and they are completely unaware of their inaccurate evaluation.

I agree with you though. There are lots of factors at play when it comes to understanding people speaking with an odd accent or a broken version of the language. Some people are inherently better at understanding than others. Whether it's due to exposure, how they parse spoken language, effort put in, or some other factor.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Nov 6, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ladron posted:

what a strange trick

Have I ever told you that your avatar is one of my all-time favorites? Because your avatar is one of my all-time favorites.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Khorne posted:

It's kinda true, because this happens with english speakers as well. There are tons of people who whine about chinese/indian/french/australian/whatever non-american accent teachers/service people and how they can't understand them and their thought process is so different blablabla
I have an Indian-American friend in the US (India Indian) and he has a typical Hindu name. He said he was on a customer service call about something and the operator was Indian. He told the guy his name and they talked for a while in English and the guy was like "Sir, you're Indian" and he said yes, and then they continued and then he hung up. He got a letter the next week with the new information and his name was butchered so badly that it was as if a redneck in Alabama had tried to write it phonetically. He was pissed off than an Indian wouldn't have a clue how to spell this common Indian name despite him spelling it out for him.
--------

I skateboarded about 14km this afternoon, having a good time speeding around and hopping over things. I saw three separate Chinese skateboarders. I threw the shaka to each one and kept on moving. They all gave me he most intense puppy-dog eyes when they realized the laowai brethren wasn't going to stop and talk to them. I could have, but I know it's going to turn into "What's your Wechat? Come skate these stairs with me," and the face loss telling them I am too old for that poo poo and knee surgery is not something I need in my life right now and then more puppy-dog eyes and so on. There's a lot of 20-year-old girls here that skateboard and longboard and I am sure I could tap into that market if I hung out with these dudes, but I just feel like making friends with youngbloods and letting them down is not worth it. LOL.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Have I ever told you that your avatar is one of my all-time favorites? Because your avatar is one of my all-time favorites.

aww, thanks man

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
The protest in Hong Kong has deviated from its allowed route. Police are now giving dispersal warnings.

https://twitter.com/lostdutchhk/status/795192996178239488

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Magna Kaser posted:

I lived in japan for like a year, my Japanese is total poo poo, but I learned the basics like how to tell a cab driver go straight go left/right, give a simple order at mcdonalds.

my proudest moment was when I got sick and wanted cold medicine so I went to a Japanese drug store walked in and had the following conversation in japanese

Me: "hello do you speak English?"

Japanese dude: "I am sorry but no"

Me: "I am sorry I don't speak Japanese, I have a cold, I want to buy medicine, but I cant read Japanese"

Japanese: *happy look on his face babbles in Japanese and goes and puts some boxes in my hand*

Now the whole waitress not understanding you did happen to me at a Japanese restraunt....In loving southern California. Really weird having Japanese people in Southern California saying they cant understand you, when you know that your saying the same words that worked back in Japan.

So yeah I think expectations play a huge roll in it.

I worked in Westminster for alittle bit and really had some fun two Vietnamese ladies were switching to Vietnamese to hide what they were talking about, namely the price they paid for name brand hand bags. But since I knew a few Vietnamese numbers I pieced it together and said "eh I still think that's a lot to pay" the look on their faces was priceless.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

After the oval office shopkeeper in the local big town/city sprawl yesterday, I still needed sand and cement.

I also needed some electrical tape which I know the little hardware shop in my local village sells (I don't live in metropolitan hell, so whatever neonoir tech smog neon hellscape you're imagining, forget that because its residental apartment blocks set between jungled mountains and the sea)

Anyway I have been round the hardware shops there before, looking down round all the back alleys, and found 2 hardware shops. They both sell screws and small hand tools and lightbulbs and drain cleaner chemicals and bits and bobs like that. Certainly not cement.

But today, as if by magic, as I was passing a little food stall restaurant, tables nestled under a sun-bleached tarp, a solution appeared. It was a small hardware shop that I'd never seen before! The difference was that it had the lighting displays lit because it was duak. The other times I'd been looking for hardware shops had been the afternoon, and I obviously hadn't seen his shop through the dim restaurant because it wasn't lit up. Although I have and had paced every little alley in that place, the hardware shop has no street access, apart from through that food place.

The guy and his wife were friendly, helpful, even dropped a sentence or two in English, although we were dealing in Canto. The sand was clearly collected from the beach I mentioned earlier, and you bought cement by the ladelfull, which was scooped into a normal plastic carrier bag.

The total cost was less than US$6, including two metres of drain pipe (roughly, it wasn't cut exactly), after which he asked if we had all the other specific bits we needed for the job (we did, but it was nice of him to ask if we had x, y and z by name)

It's not the most interesting story, I know. But as a contrast to the dickhead yesterday, showing not all Chinese shopkeepers are racist/arsehole/greedy/shortsighted/whatever bastards; as a conclusion to what I posted about; and with a couple of elements that are probably not the same as the US/UK, I thought it might be interesting to some.

EasternBronze
Jul 19, 2011

I registered for the Selective Service! I'm also racist as fuck!
:downsbravo:
Don't forget to ignore me!
I cant really recall ever being Englished but Ive noticed in Korea and Japan people kind of hold back a but until they feel out how well I can really speak and understand, whereas in China (Guangzhou, which seems to have people from literally every province) as soon as I establish that I can string a sentence together they seem to just jump right into their own dialect/accent and just figure Im totally going to understand their Sichuan-Mandarin or whatever.

simplefish posted:

After the oval office shopkeeper in the local big town/city sprawl yesterday, I still needed sand and cement.

I also needed some electrical tape which I know the little hardware shop in my local village sells (I don't live in metropolitan hell, so whatever neonoir tech smog neon hellscape you're imagining, forget that because its residental apartment blocks set between jungled mountains and the sea)

Anyway I have been round the hardware shops there before, looking down round all the back alleys, and found 2 hardware shops. They both sell screws and small hand tools and lightbulbs and drain cleaner chemicals and bits and bobs like that. Certainly not cement.

But today, as if by magic, as I was passing a little food stall restaurant, tables nestled under a sun-bleached tarp, a solution appeared. It was a small hardware shop that I'd never seen before! The difference was that it had the lighting displays lit because it was duak. The other times I'd been looking for hardware shops had been the afternoon, and I obviously hadn't seen his shop through the dim restaurant because it wasn't lit up. Although I have and had paced every little alley in that place, the hardware shop has no street access, apart from through that food place.

The guy and his wife were friendly, helpful, even dropped a sentence or two in English, although we were dealing in Canto. The sand was clearly collected from the beach I mentioned earlier, and you bought cement by the ladelfull, which was scooped into a normal plastic carrier bag.

The total cost was less than US$6, including two metres of drain pipe (roughly, it wasn't cut exactly), after which he asked if we had all the other specific bits we needed for the job (we did, but it was nice of him to ask if we had x, y and z by name)

It's not the most interesting story, I know. But as a contrast to the dickhead yesterday, showing not all Chinese shopkeepers are racist/arsehole/greedy/shortsighted/whatever bastards; as a conclusion to what I posted about; and with a couple of elements that are probably not the same as the US/UK, I thought it might be interesting to some.

I also have had an extremely good experience with the hole-in-the-wall hardware shop in my neighborhood. Thats definitely one thing I miss about China, all the neat little places hiding in your neighborhood you will go a whole year not noticing until it suddenly becomes important.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Tupperwarez posted:

I swear, it's like they give injections to small business owners that turn them into a pack of greedy, venal bastards.

LOL, here's something I saw that fits this in a different way.

http://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/arts/mining-online-chinese-novels-for-lucrative-content

quote:

The journey of that novel, from obscurity to mainstream cultural status, resembles one that many Internet-only creations are now taking here as a voracious appetite for intellectual property has sent producers foraging on the Web.

IP - intellectual property, or original copyrighted material that can be bought and adapted for other formats - is one of the hottest buzzwords in China.

As the country's fast-growing film, TV and video game industries vie for audiences, entertainment firms in search of quality home- grown content are snapping up IPs.

To find good ones, executives turn to the usual sources: books, existing films and comics. But increasingly, they are mining a once- secluded corner of the Internet that has become a billion-dollar business: a flourishing online literary world that bypasses ink and paper to grab readers by their smartphones, with subjects such as tomb raiding, science fiction and romance.

"Online literature in China is full of good story lines and IPs," said Jiang Chenzhou, 30, author of The Journey Of Flower, who is better known to online readers by her Web name, Fresh Guoguo. "On the Internet, you have space for creativity. There is more room for expression, fewer restrictions and less pressure.
The whole entertainment industry is still fairly conservative," said Chen Ming, head of products at Shanda Games and a former editor at Qidian, one of the largest online- literature sites. "Creating your own original fantasy content is not a sure bet. But the market has shown that adapting popular IPs from online literature can make a lot of money."

Mr Ma Zhongjun, chief executive of Ciwen Media, which produced last year's TV adaptation of The Journey Of Flower, summed up the business logic: "You are spending money to buy safety. Americans are the best at this. That's why they keep making sequels."
"Online literature is really the people's literature," Mr Ma said. "There are very few commercial elements involved in the writing process, so this body of literature tends to be pure."
He said most of his income now comes from selling his properties to various media and from sales of print copies of his fantasy-themed online novels.

His ultimate goal is to create a franchise like Walt Disney. "Disney has a lot of characters whose popularity is reinforced through movies and cartoons. I am looking for a partner company which can take all my IPs and replicate this model."

Basically, fan-fiction and people trying to milk the system to make money are now "sure" things for lazy studios to pick up and do something with. I am sure there are many rip-offs of Western IPs and books, but audience will never know that.

I'm also kind of surprised that studios are buying IP and not ripping it off out-right, though I am sure that happens too. I like how people finally being able to write stories without the government breathing down their necks is considered an amazing thing, but is still called the "People's literature."

If Twilight and 50 Shades are any indication of what tons of people posting their amateur writing online is like in English, then I wonder how awful some of the popular Chinese writing is.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

simplefish posted:

You find shopkeepers who are good to you and hold on to them forever. I always go to the same shops again and again because I trust them. And they treat me well.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Anyone else finding the AQI messure website/apps to be acting strange today? It's supposed to update every hour, but so far today it only updated three times, 8am, 12pm and 6pm.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

GoutPatrol posted:

You find shopkeepers who are good to you and hold on to them forever. I always go to the same shops again and again because I trust them. And they treat me well.

Hell yeah

The place I got copper pipe from was good too, I'm gonna go back there for the sink and stuff. But it's nice to have this local guy for other stuff

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

why is the dancing so ..uhh ..like basic and not very rhythmic and lol so little effort

And what the gently caress are they saying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Pon de Bundy posted:

why is the dancing so ..uhh ..like basic and not very rhythmic and lol so little effort

And what the gently caress are they saying

The further a people are from Africa, the worse the rhythm and dancing. :biotruths:

• Locked thread