Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I watched the last episode of community the other night and twice characters stopped and basically looked at the camera and went on about how Marvel movies are all formuliac trash garbage for teens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Baronjutter posted:

I watched the last episode of community the other night and twice characters stopped and basically looked at the camera and went on about how Marvel movies are all formuliac trash garbage for teens.

They are not wrong.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I remember in earlier HitB episodes Jay would mention how great Community is, and then like 2 years later he's talking about how loving lovely it turned out.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

a bone to pick posted:

I remember in earlier HitB episodes Jay would mention how great Community is, and then like 2 years later he's talking about how loving lovely it turned out.

After watching them all in a binge over the last couple months, the first seasons are great, then they fired harmon and it got really bad but eventually the harmonless team sort of found its legs and it got "ok". Then Harmon came back and it was great, but then the show started losing way too many key cast members and, like so many harmon things, it became increasingly self-referential and self-deprecating or "up its own rear end" as the kids say. The last season, produced as a "Yahoo Original" wasn't awful but had almost totally given up being a TV show and was just going along up its butt goodbye to the fans coasting along on fumes and the few original cast members it still had.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I always thought it was amazing that they casted Chevy Chase as a racist old man and then it turned out he actually is a racist old man lol.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also Star Burns and Frankie Dart were both about the same age, late 40's-50ish. Britta and Annie were the exact same age too. Madness.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronjutter posted:

Also Star Burns and Frankie Dart were both about the same age, late 40's-50ish. Britta and Annie were the exact same age too. Madness.

I listened to Dan Harmon's podcast and it turns out that Starburns IRL is a huge racist and gross pervert.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

I listened to Dan Harmon's podcast and it turns out that Starburns IRL is a huge racist and gross pervert.

I'm starting to think every character in Community actually acts that way in real life.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Community had the least dignified death of a TV show I've ever seen

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The actor who played Starburns got his start in showbiz as part of a two-man show with Andy Dick. They did classic Vaudeville routines, but the twist was instead of faking hitting each other, they would actually hit each other as hard as they could.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
What episode of Dan Harmon's podcast was that?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I liked seeing Ryan Ridley and some other channel 101 / Rick and morty people in the last seasons, and Justin Roiland doing a voice, and they had all given up and were just phoning it in to get it over with. But even then, they were still able to mock the quality of Marvel movies from a superior position.

So it's weird hearing Dan go on about how comic book movies are all being made by nerds who really care about quality rather than marketing suits because the "nerds won". No, marketing won and your lovely niche nerd culture has become a cynical paint by numbers corporate money machine that gives no fucks about the source material (which was all trash to begin with anyways).

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

BexGu posted:

One of the ones with Andy Dick, I think

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrSlam posted:

Since people are talking about Dr Strange, Dan Harmon had an AMA and talked about his experience on the movie
Oh poo poo, I thought all "Dr Strange" talk was actually about Dr Strangelove and not yet another comic movie. It does look pretty good, but:

a bone to pick posted:

Dan Harmon seems like a chill guy, it's a shame all his TV projects end up so far up their own asses.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

WampaLord posted:

I've heard the effects are really neat and the story is typical Marvel story, but with no Avengers tie-ins.

Seems cool to me, as someone who enjoys "generic marvel trash."

The trailers look like they just upgraded the Inception animation software to version 2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The effects are legit the one good thing in DS. if I was stoned as gently caress I might have enjoyed it. It has very cool 2001/Inception/ Enter the Void stuff going on.
The first trip scene was cool. Everything leading up to it bored me but once that happened I sat up for a while.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The effects are legit the one good thing in DS. if I was stoned as gently caress I might have enjoyed it. It has very cool 2001/Inception/ Enter the Void stuff going on.
The first trip scene was cool. Everything leading up to it bored me but once that happened I sat up for a while.

I dunno what to cut though from the beginning. It established a lot at least.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Stop talking about marvel movies, tell me more about the real starburns.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

poisonpill posted:

He really does cook meth in his trunk but it's low quality and kind of sad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

poisonpill posted:

At one point they mention that if you meet him real life withing five minutes of talking to him you'll be talking about your most deviant sexual fantasies and he somehow makes it feel completely natural and comfortable.

Also he says the n-word a lot

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Veskit posted:

I dunno what to cut though from the beginning. It established a lot at least.

The director

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Starburns made Moral Orel, so he's all right.

Sound Mr. Brown
Feb 21, 2005

The love of learning, the sequestered nooks,
And all the sweet serenity of books.

BexGu posted:

every one of them with Dino Stamatopoulos

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Zahgaegun posted:

On BOTW #...4 (The Shoji Tabuchi one) , I think, there was a Florence Henderson Makeup video that was viewed and previewed during the summaries at the beginning and then... nothing. Nary a single mention nor a tape-on-the-table during the discussion.

Was there ever any explanation as to why?

Uh yeah, in the video itself. They explained it visually through the medium of wordless storytelling. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kakU6kQDmU4&t=441s

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Let's all have a moment of silence as we once again mourn the death of Jay's Blood Beat remake.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Dr Strange was great, I'm so sorry for you miserable shits that couldn't enjoy it.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
i'm sorry for anyone who willingly gives money to the marvel disney corporate machine.

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer

Justin Credible posted:

Uh yeah, in the video itself. They explained it visually through the medium of wordless storytelling.

Yeah, sure - they watch it but... nothing? No review? Not even a mention?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

dreezy posted:

i'm sorry for anyone who willingly gives money to the marvel disney corporate machine.

Do you have any hot takes on who runs hollywood?

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Doctor Strange had some missteps but it was a funny movie and I needed something to make me laugh.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

every hitb about marvel movies: ugh i feel the MCU breaking under it's own weight and it feels so basic

*fifty minutes later*

so, jay, would you recommend disney's marvel's movie title?

yes i would mike! you?

yes. go see it in cinemas!

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Clawtopsy posted:

Do you have any hot takes on who runs hollywood?

well mel gibson isn't blacklisted anymore so it's sure as gently caress not the jews. my money's on a secret Quaker cabal.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Clawtopsy posted:

every hitb about marvel movies: ugh i feel the MCU breaking under it's own weight and it feels so basic

*fifty minutes later*

so, jay, would you recommend disney's marvel's movie title?

yes i would mike! you?

yes. go see it in cinemas!

Mike didnt like Captain America: Civil War, though.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

dreezy posted:

well mel gibson isn't blacklisted anymore so it's sure as gently caress not the jews. my money's on a secret Quaker cabal.

did he finally hit someone with his car?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I agree with the closeted twink and fat alcoholic though. They are not interesting movies at all and usually really forgettable and there's like a strict ceiling to how enjoyable they usually are. But going to the cinema with a friend and watching them isnt a waste of money... They're not horrible, they're just generic

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Blue Star posted:

Mike didnt like Captain America: Civil War, though.

His complaint was that it wasn't schlocky. Which was super dumb.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
They are movies for literal and mental babies. Enjoying them betrays your stunted development.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Paladinus posted:

They are movies for literal and mental babies. Enjoying them betrays your stunted development.

hey man, i figured i'd ask you, but does vaping cause cancer?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Of the soul

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Paladinus posted:

the hot takes are coming from inside the thread! :rolleyes:

• Locked thread