Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
perhaps a better answer is that it reserved a word so that the people coming up with c++ didn't have to worry about existing code using it in variable names and the like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Luigi Thirty posted:

well i haven't figured out the amiga's built-in blitter-based animation system yet but i can draw a bunch of bitmaps in succession so my amiga can play the WHOLE GIF

:toot:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I loving love language trivia time

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
ok, now what does auto do in c++/cli?

a: crashes the compiler lol

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

oh my god this is a nightmare

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Bloody posted:

I loving love language trivia time

I love it when they do it and are also wrong about it. gives me an excuse to pull up the standard on my iPad. bonus points if it's the CTO and the CEO is also there (<3 startups). for some reason I've never gotten an offer after correcting someone who has been excessively wrong on trivia questions they ask. :shrug:

mekkanare
Sep 12, 2008
We have detected you are using ad blocking software.

Please add us to your whitelist to view this content.

leper khan posted:

I love it when they do it and are also wrong about it. gives me an excuse to pull up the standard on my iPad. bonus points if it's the CTO and the CEO is also there (<3 startups). for some reason I've never gotten an offer after correcting someone who has been excessively wrong on trivia questions they ask. :shrug:

Not a culture fit.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

leper khan posted:

meritocracy

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

pokeyman posted:

meritocracy

you spelt mediocrity wrong

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

"gently caress all"

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!
how do people manage doing interviews while currently working?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Asymmetrikon posted:

schedule late in the afternoon, duck out a little early; use a vacation day for on sites

or if you're interviewing for jobs on the west coast and are on the east coast you can phone interviews after dinner in your time zone that are still during the work day pst

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Asymmetrikon posted:

very carefully

also lots of long lunch hours with promises of making the time up, i live in a small city tho so it's easy for me

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

St Evan Echoes posted:

very carefully

also lots of long lunch hours with promises of making the time up, i live in a small city tho so it's easy for me

"see you later shitlords i've got a job interview. i'm not joking"

"lol such a card, i wonder where he's really going"

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Flat Daddy posted:

someone in austin plz nepotism me, ive posted here like a dozen times and have all the right yospos opinions like javasript sucks!!!!!
i would, but i'm trying to get nepotismed out of my current place already (and i don't think we're hiring until next year anyway).

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

people I care about know where I'm going. people I don't care about hear various versions of visiting family, vacation, or just no fuckin answer just time blocked off on my calendar. I was out five straight days over the past two weeks interviewing on the west coast. rip my vacation balance

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

gonadic io posted:

"see you later shitlords i've got a job interview. i'm not joking"

The best strategy if your coworkers are on board.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

suicide doesnt have to be sad. it sounds like he ended his life on his own terms without suffering. celebrate the fact that he did what he wanted to on this earth and didn't linger longer than he wanted to either.

person should have discovered free sex and then he would live for the dizzying heights and subterreran lows of having lots of sex

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo

hi yospos, why do all my programs look like this? is this normal? please advise

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

still no sound. 3/5

hmm, thankfully i have forgotten how many hardware sprites the amiga had. 4? 8? and the size was maybe 16x16 in the old chipset and something like 32 or 64 pixels wide in aga.
"bob" means "blitter object" though, right?

forgetting even trivial that kind of shallow nerdy knowledge has still taken 2 decades.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
I think I may have burned out

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

burning out sucks rear end big time :smith:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Welcome to da club, start interviewing and not giving a poo poo

Asymmetrikon
Oct 30, 2009

I believe you're a big dork!

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

so much this. tired of being on call 24/7. worst thing is burning out in the middle of a big push, so now you just look real bad and you feel like poo poo

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i got issued a phone. i don't answer it. boss hasn't said anything

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Wheany posted:

still no sound. 3/5

hmm, thankfully i have forgotten how many hardware sprites the amiga had. 4? 8? and the size was maybe 16x16 in the old chipset and something like 32 or 64 pixels wide in aga.
"bob" means "blitter object" though, right?

forgetting even trivial that kind of shallow nerdy knowledge has still taken 2 decades.

who knows. I figured out how to set up a VSprite list and can just use my board setup routines from the ST version of reversi because they're both 320x200 and do 16x16 3-color sprites

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

working on oss can surprisingly burn you out pretty easily

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

triple sulk posted:

working on oss can surprisingly burn you out pretty easily

one of the reasons I just work on private projects in my free time

things are so much fun when you don't need to worry about other people or deadlines or people complaining about pull requests or whatever

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006

Asymmetrikon posted:

lol if you don't take a 4 month 'funemployment' sabbatical/relapse in between jobs

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

MSPain posted:

lol if you don't take a 4 month 'funemployment' sabbatical/relapse in between jobs

this is what i plan to do and it can't come soon enough

(my figure was 3 months though)

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
hi fellow terrible programmers. today I discovered a file that crashed visual studio when I tried to auto-format it.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
my burnout prevention advice: recite the alcoholic's prayer every morning and as needed thru out the day, and don't take initiative on anything or expend extra effort on a task unless it benefits you personally somehow

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

slashdot has a big post on US tech salaries and the majority of replies are employees proud of their lack of work-life balance and jealously of Indian outsourcing.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Fatal Error posted:

hi yospos, why do all my programs look like this? is this normal? please advise

No, it should be bright red. You probably don't have ANSI.SYS enabled.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

MrMoo posted:

slashdot

lol

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
how the gently caress does slashdot still exist

i mean you can ask the same thing about these forums but at least there is occasionally something funny or worthwhile posted here

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrMoo posted:

slashdot has a big post on US tech salaries and the majority of replies are employees proud of their lack of work-life balance and jealously of Indian outsourcing.

looking forward to updates on fark and digg!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Asymmetrikon posted:

so much this. tired of being on call 24/7. worst thing is burning out in the middle of a big push, so now you just look real bad and you feel like poo poo

im just the dumb ol' systems guy, but why is someone who can spin functional magicks as well as you on call??

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

hobbesmaster posted:

please check perlmonks first, it's more relevant to this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

- a post on somethingawful.com in 2016

• Locked thread