Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

porkswordonboard
Aug 27, 2007
You should get that looked at

Thanks to everyone who expounded on the history of fashion a bit, it's all really cool. Here's one super weird thing that all feminists will find both absurd and offensive: the hobble skirt. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hobble_skirt It's literally a skirt made to impede women's movement, and was popular from the turn of the 20th century up to the 1910s. So she can't run away!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Quidam Viator posted:

Ummmm....I don't know what to say. I'm not used to people liking my stuff, so some part of me feels like I'm being trolled. I have some kind of SA-related trauma, apparently. So, thanks?

I could try to pull up my graduate thesis from 16 years ago, before I started teaching, but more than anything, I found that there was no real literature that specifically did what I was trying to do. And I don't blame academics for that; you can see how much I have to keep hedging. Really picky readers could attack anything I put forward as a really concrete hypothesis as to when cultures really internalized, metaphorized and verbalized their lateralization preferences.

"OH YEAH??? Well, the early Romans thought the worst possible disgrace for an army was being made to pass UNDER a YOKE, because the yoke was used on cattle and slave animals, and it showed that someone was above you, so therefore, Early Republican Romans MUST have thought up was better than down!"

At this point, I would like to point that the English "yoke", the Latin "iugulum", and perhaps shockingly, the word "yoga", all derive from the same Proto-Indo-European stem, *yeug- "to join". And for all the posturing in India about a 5,000 year culture, the practice of yoga, of "yoking oneself" to the divine, isn't written down until... well about 500 BCE, so it's another Axial Age concept! See, this whole idea is not just about archaeology, or philosophy of mind, or history of ideas, but really about biology and etymology, and how human language and consciousness were born out of trying to create language using only primal absolutes.

So, in a way, trying to push such a high-level examination of the whole concept of lateralization preference is kind of my own thing. This is NOT to say that there aren't a million people working at different chunks of the problem. Hell, everyone "knows" about the two hemispheres of the brain. We have great science being done on what's called the "laterality-valence hypothesis", where mammal experiments show that the right hemisphere may be more responsible for retreating, negative, withdrawal reactions, and the left hemisphere more responsible for governing "positive", approaching interactions. http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10071-015-0928-3

And yes, this encoding of "left hand - GROSS, BACK OFF" and "right hand - OK, MOVE FORWARD" can be connected to the origin of civilization. There's a current thesis in anthropology and moral psychology that the main emotion motivating the origin of civilization was not LOVE, but DISGUST. Here, you can read all about that, and try to keep in mind that there's a clinically-demonstrated, biologically-rooted lateralization of left/right, forward/back reactions that MIGHT inform which emotions we express to create culture.
https://aeon.co/essays/how-disgust-made-humans-cooperate-to-build-civilisations

This opens a gigantic hypothetical can of worms. If I WERE to recommend a book, it would be an outdated, speculative, and controversial one, that still has had a lot of impact: The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind by Julian Jaynes. Reading his work first put me on this path. His hypothesis is radical: the evolution of the human interface with lateralization can be seen as a developing process from the earliest cultural artifacts and writing, and his contention is that we can observe, just in these past five-thousand years, the actual origin of modern consciousness from a previous, more biologically-fundamental version.

Yeah, it's nuts. It provides a functional explanation why people thousands of years ago ACTUALLY DID interact with gods, angels, and divinities, and bases it all not on mysticism, but biology and culture. Jaynes points out that all of our standard speech areas, Wernicke's area, Broca's area, and the supplemental motor area, are all left-lateralized (and therefore associated with right-side dominance in handedness and eye preference). Why would such a critical function be put on only one side of the brain instead of both? He hypothesizes that there is a set of vestigial RIGHT-hemispheric speech centers, which generated internal voices of commands, and claimed that when schizophrenics heard commanding voices, that this ancient speech center lit up and sent information across the anterior commissures, literally bringing the commands of the gods over into what would BECOME the modern identity or consciousness. In other words, what made the ancient god-king societies function was a very prevalent mass schizophrenia, where the imposing ziggurats and monuments induced a kind of hive-minded, mass hallucination that allowed humanity to transition from living in small groups to large, and eventually to abandoning or losing the voices of the gods as they evolved what we call modern consciousness, all VEEERRRYY recently.

Yeah, I know. I have to post a giant study from Oxford about how schizophrenia is a lateralization dysfunction to take the curse off that craziness! http://brain.oxfordjournals.org/content/128/5/963

Seriously, you put a schizophrenic into an fMRI while they are hearing voices of command, and the mirrored, forgotten parallels to our modern speech centers light up like a god drat Christmas tree. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4273663/

So, I'm not crazy, and I don't think Jaynes was either. The basic proposal is that the earliest civilizations we know were not fully conscious like we were; instead, they had a predilection for much more balanced brain activity: the left-hemispheric mind did all the rote, standard, daily-living work of tool use, work, language, and routine analysis. Meanwhile, if something REALLY crazy or stressful happened, which was pretty much all the time, the RIGHT brain would kick in, speak in a divine, commanding voice, perhaps even create a visual hallucination of a relative, friend, or god touching or commanding you, and would give you the solution to implement to relieve the stress. poo poo, Jaynes does an in-depth reading of the Iliad, and shows that the "humans" of that time didn't think in a modern way AT ALL. They didn't have a centralized sense of identity or body holism, instead thinking of people as a collection of parts, but more than anything, he claims that nobody in the Iliad makes a personal choice or is able to LIE in stressful decisions. Seriously, every time Achilles or Agamemnon get stressed about what to do about Briseis, a motherfucking deity reaches in and tells them what to do. And the other motherfuckers ACCEPT THIS AS A VALID EXPLANATION.

Why all this rambling? When you ask questions about which side we prefer, whether we like up or down, or forward or back, you're asking a question that goes all the way down into really fine biology, and is expressed in every level all the way up to the most abstract language and concepts. I taught history, classics, and Latin for 15 years. My general proposal to my students was that the minds of people from other times and places are more radically different than ours than they are the same, and that if we develop a nose for sniffing out those differences, we begin to get to a REAL understanding, not just of them, but of ourselves. The more distant the perspective and deep the understanding of difference, the greater the leverage you have to move your world.

History!

EDIT: Well, this link has been up for years, so I GUESS it's of some valid copyright state, but if not, I'm sure a mod will remove it. Here's the Jaynes book. Enjoy: http://selfdefinition.org/psychology/Julian-Jaynes-Origin-of-Consciousness-Breakdown-of-Bicameral-Mind.pdf

This is fascinating could you possibly give some other articles toward learning more about this. I am always interested in these sorts of things. I've read briefly about this theory. I actually think this has more to do with how people who were probably schizophrenic were treated in ancient cultures though. So I don't really buy into it.

Hollismason has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Nov 5, 2016

ThatGirlAtThatShow
Nov 4, 2013

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The heels and calves thing was related to horse riding. Horses were a status symbol and cavalry generally came from the nobility. If you could afford horses you were a Good and Proper man. This was also the colonial era where everybody was fighting everybody else pretty much all the time. Being a tough fighter was very socially important if you were a dude.

Notice that the guy looking over his shoulder is turned to show off his boots. Specifically the back. He's wearing spurs. You had to earn the right to wear spurs and that only happened in battle. He's also holding riding gloves. He's saying "I am a total bad rear end that will gently caress up your kingdom and take your land" right there.

But why do his shoes have an extra sole on them? Seems like it would make horseback riding more difficult with shoes like that?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

ThatGirlAtThatShow posted:

But why do his shoes have an extra sole on them? Seems like it would make horseback riding more difficult with shoes like that?

Modern riding boots have proper heels because you keep the front of your feet in the stirrups and the heels prevent your feet from sliding through.

The extra soles in that pictures make the entire shoes flat. I wonder if those could be taken off when they went for a ride. It kinda looks like they just slide off the front.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Quidam Viator posted:

A Good Effort Post

Thanks for that QV. I'm not a professional academic, but the intersection of Language as an abstract form of data transfer and the actual biological history, implications, and mechanisms for it is fascinating for me.

So I had a thought while reading your post and it's comes from a position of relative ignorance, but do you think these "command speech" centers in the right hemisphere of the brain are related to low level instincts? Like some sort of high-level expression of the lower-level reptilian impulses? Or am I way off in trying to tie instincts into language centers?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Carbon dioxide posted:

Modern riding boots have proper heels because you keep the front of your feet in the stirrups and the heels prevent your feet from sliding through.

The extra soles in that pictures make the entire shoes flat. I wonder if those could be taken off when they went for a ride. It kinda looks like they just slide off the front.

They may be a form of patten, wooden high-heeled overshoes that people wore in medieval and Early Modern times to protect their shoes from mud, water, sewage, etc. They could be a similar detachable component.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
To be honest, you shouldn't need the heels on your riding boot if you're riding correctly.

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Greatbacon posted:

Thanks for that QV. I'm not a professional academic, but the intersection of Language as an abstract form of data transfer and the actual biological history, implications, and mechanisms for it is fascinating for me.

So I had a thought while reading your post and it's comes from a position of relative ignorance, but do you think these "command speech" centers in the right hemisphere of the brain are related to low level instincts? Like some sort of high-level expression of the lower-level reptilian impulses? Or am I way off in trying to tie instincts into language centers?

I'm really going to refer you to the original work I attached at the bottom of the post: Jaynes himself lays out his argument with far more detail and nuance than I can in an SA shitpost.

When it comes to brain anatomy and locating large-scale action, the very best we can do is make implications and vague associations, and the neurobiologist who I consulted with while I was teaching always said that whatever we knew about the brain today would be false in ten years. PM me if anyone wants to actually talk with me about this.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I don't buy it.

If the premodern mind was so different, why is it so easy to open up to a random Psalm and find something in common with the psalmist?

Edit: That book is pretty good.

Bar Ran Dun has a new favorite as of 06:44 on Nov 6, 2016

VoteTedJameson
Jan 10, 2014

And stack the four!

bean_shadow posted:

I've heard Pompeii be described as the Las Vegas of Ancient Rome. Is this true or just exaggeration?

To the best of my knowledge (anthropologist not a classicist), I would say that's not a terribly useful comparison. Pompeii was a nice place to visit, but didn't carry the same mystique of glamor and sleeze that Vegas has. Think somewhere a little more safe and conservative, like how people from the Northeast treat Cape Cod- scenic, comfortable etc. That but with way more brothels. (Which were legal and regulated).

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pompeii: the Atlantic City of Ancient Rome

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

It's basically The Saboteur.

Saboteur was World War 2, still a drat fine game though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Pick posted:

To be honest, you shouldn't need the heels on your riding boot if you're riding correctly.

Indeed, it's mostly a safety feature. Over here they won't let you ride with flat-heel shoes because of safety policies. But if you're well-practiced you shouldn't need it. Hell, if you're good enough you don't need stirrups. Or a saddle.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Powaqoatse posted:

I dunno that it was popular knowledge that women had shorter pregnancies with their first born children, but there's no doubt that the first birth was usually 7-8 months after the marriage. I've heard of people making the "amusing observation" that first pregnancies are shorter, but not any actual text on it.

I'd like a source to contemporary discussion on the matter if possible cause that'd be super interesting!

Uni lecture, sadly enough. But there's enough sly references to 'early arrivals' in letters from the time that it may have been a popular way of preserving the girl's honor. Not his, of course.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Carbon dioxide posted:

Indeed, it's mostly a safety feature. Over here they won't let you ride with flat-heel shoes because of safety policies. But if you're well-practiced you shouldn't need it. Hell, if you're good enough you don't need stirrups. Or a saddle.

I’m so good I don’t need a horse.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

BrandorKP posted:

I don't buy it.

If the premodern mind was so different, why is it so easy to open up to a random Psalm and find something in common with the psalmist?

Edit: That book is pretty good.
I don't really buy it either, although I can certainly buy that there are some emergent concepts and details which subtly color modern thought which did not occur with the ancients. But if they were really that cognitively different from us, we would presumably have more trouble understanding their writings.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Nessus posted:

I don't really buy it either, although I can certainly buy that there are some emergent concepts and details which subtly color modern thought which did not occur with the ancients. But if they were really that cognitively different from us, we would presumably have more trouble understanding their writings.

I think he's talking about the time before writing.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I think he's talking about the time before writing.

The theory he's talking about specifically mentions the actions of characters in the Illiad and the Odyssey, which is decidedly not pre-writing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Red Bones posted:

The theory he's talking about specifically mentions the actions of characters in the Illiad and the Odyssey, which is decidedly not pre-writing.

Yes it is, though its super close. The Illiad and the Odyssey are epic poems from a much earlier greek oral tradition. They were basically the first things written down (by the Greeks). Memorizing poo poo got to a point where writing it down was necessary.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

Yes it is, though its super close. The Illiad and the Odyssey are epic poems from a much earlier greek oral tradition. They were basically the first things written down (by the Greeks). Memorizing poo poo got to a point where writing it down was necessary.

Writing things down instead of memorizing them happened because human memory is fallible. Also if everybody who memorized something dies it's lost. On top of that it's easier to write something down than it is to memorize it. Paper is just way better than human brains at storing information long term. Paper obviously decays eventually but there wasn't much better for a very long time.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Writing things down instead of memorizing them happened because human memory is fallible.

Human memory is fallible when you are trying to remember what you ate two weeks ago for lunch. It is not fallible when you are reciting an epic poem that you spent years of your life memorizing. Seriously, keepers of oral histories are actually extremely accurate and precise, don't dismiss them so easily! The human brain is great at memory tricks.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

That's why poetry follows meter and rhyme too, right? Because it's easier to remember?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

The Jaynes theory is an interesting concept that's certainly generated a lot of discussion back in its day, but there is a very good reason why virtually no current research in psychology or anthropology even mentions him. Most of his theory is based on a very select sampling of Ancient Greek and Middle Eastern sources, and again on the admittedly pretty foreign (to modern eyes) writing style of the Iliad as the core of his thesis. There are several problems, for example that neurology never came up with any evidence for his bicameralism theory, or that he ignores the Gilgamesh Epic which is older than the Iliad and has clearly introspective passages, or how such a biological/cultural change could have affected all of humanity within an astonishingly short timespan of maybe a thousand years (not even to mention how it could have bridged oceans to reach Native Americans, Aborigines or Pacific Islanders). He also claims that this change came to be with the advent of agriculture and permanent settlements. If this was the case, shouldn't modern hunter-gatherer communities still show such a bicameral mind? Afaik Jaynes never acknowledged this problem, though his cult-like followers over at julianjaynes.com certainly addressed it:

quote:

They have limited inner mental life (and experience frequent auditory hallucinations) but they can be just as animated as non-human primates are. Bicameral people were non-conscious but intelligent, had basic language, and were probably more social than modern conscious people in the sense that they would have typically lived and worked surrounded by others. They would be able to express first tier (non-conscious) emotions such as fear, shame, and anger, but not second-tier (conscious) emotions such as anxiety, guilt, and hatred.

which sounds preeeetty racist to me, as well as the eventual and natural conclusion of Jaynes' theory.

Nevertheless it's a very interesting book and a good read. The whole book is freely available online when you want to give it a look.

Fake edit: when you want to see just how foreign the culture and worldview of other societies can be (and how your own sensibilities and convictions can't necessarily be taken for granted), just look at how early modern Europeans viewed honour (history) or how an isolated tribe in 1950s Western Africa interpreted Shakespeare through the lens of its own culture (anthropology). The latter is absolutely a pro read, by the way

real edit:

Rutibex posted:

Human memory is fallible when you are trying to remember what you ate two weeks ago for lunch. It is not fallible when you are reciting an epic poem that you spent years of your life memorizing. Seriously, keepers of oral histories are actually extremely accurate and precise, don't dismiss them so easily! The human brain is great at memory tricks.

It's long been known by anthropologists and historians that the average ability of people to memorise stuff is inversely proportional to the average literacy. The memories of illiterate medieval peasants would probably have blown our minds.

System Metternich has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Nov 6, 2016

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rutibex posted:

But does the initial oral history that gets passed down come from a half-remembered story?

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

This is the best thing I've read in ages, thank you for posting it. I'm flinging emails to every shakespeare teacher I know right now

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
James Burke's TV series The Day the Universe Changed touches on some of these human memory intrigues. There's a small reenacted scene of a town trial where the judge asks a peasant how old he is, he says "Uh like 45 or so I think, I was born in a harsh winter my mother told me" and the old bearded judge recalls 46 years ago there was a particularly bad winter so yeah, you're 46. That kind of thing was probably how much business got done before written records were established.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Rutibex posted:

What? No. The oral tradition from Collapse-era Greece wasn't pre-writing any more than, as System Metternich mentioned, the oral tradition of illiterate peasants in medieval France. Mycenaean Greece had writing - Linear B - which is even recognizably the ancestor of Homeric and Attic Greek. That literacy was largely lost in Greece in the Bronze Age Collapse doesn't make their oral tradition "pre-writing".

Going beyond that, we have plenty of writing from cultures that had contact with the Greeks, both in Homer's era and in the Mycenaean era, and that had had writing for more than a thousand years before the Collapse, and there's no evidence in their writing that the Greek thought process was fundamentally different from their own, which would be almost inevitable if the Trojan War-era Greeks had had a bicameral mind.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Zesty Mordant posted:

James Burke's TV series The Day the Universe Changed touches on some of these human memory intrigues. There's a small reenacted scene of a town trial where the judge asks a peasant how old he is, he says "Uh like 45 or so I think, I was born in a harsh winter my mother told me" and the old bearded judge recalls 46 years ago there was a particularly bad winter so yeah, you're 46. That kind of thing was probably how much business got done before written records were established.

Amongst the refugees that came to Germany last year there are many whose official birthday is January 1st, because they themselves couldn't say for certain, and any documentation has been lost, if it even existed in the first place. January 1st is the go-to birth date German authorities assign to them in this case. When your culture doesn't place any value in celebrating birthdays and written records are spotty or non-existent, this information tends to get discarded and lost.

e: there is a ton of fascinating stuff concerning oral tradition that could be posted itt, and I know only about a tiny sample of it. One interesting example on how it works can be found among the Gonja people in Ghana. Around 1900 British records document oral tradition amongst the Gonja at the time speaking of seven sons of the founder of the Gonja state, which explained the division of said state into seven districts. Sixty years later the myths of the Gonja were documented again, but by then because sue to administrative changes only five districts were left, and so the myths spoke of the founder king's five sons. The part of the past which didn't immediately concern the present had simply been forgotten. This is why oral tradition can be tricky: while sometimes it can be unbelievably ancient (there are folk myths of the First People in Canada that probably stem from encounters with a giant sloth that went extinct 10,000 years ago), it is only conserved if it is useful in the present (explanatory or else) and it may well have been repeatedly adapted to suit the needs and interests of those who told and retold it through the centuries/millennia, as well as seemingly unimportant details getting lost, later myths and stories merging with them, poetic interpolations to make it sound better and so on.

There is a peer-reviewed journal that concerns itself exclusively with this topic, and it's open access!

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

System Metternich posted:

Amongst the refugees that came to Germany last year there are many whose official birthday is January 1st, because they themselves couldn't say for certain, and any documentation has been lost, if it even existed in the first place. January 1st is the go-to birth date German authorities assign to them in this case. When your culture doesn't place any value in celebrating birthdays and written records are spotty or non-existent, this information tends to get discarded and lost.

e: there is a ton of fascinating stuff concerning oral tradition that could be posted itt, and I know only about a tiny sample of it. One interesting example on how it works can be found among the Gonja people in Ghana. Around 1900 British records document oral tradition amongst the Gonja at the time speaking of seven sons of the founder of the Gonja state, which explained the division of said state into seven districts. Sixty years later the myths of the Gonja were documented again, but by then because sue to administrative changes only five districts were left, and so the myths spoke of the founder king's five sons. The part of the past which didn't immediately concern the present had simply been forgotten. This is why oral tradition can be tricky: while sometimes it can be unbelievably ancient (there are folk myths of the First People in Canada that probably stem from encounters with a giant sloth that went extinct 10,000 years ago), it is only conserved if it is useful in the present (explanatory or else) and it may well have been repeatedly adapted to suit the needs and interests of those who told and retold it through the centuries/millennia, as well as seemingly unimportant details getting lost, later myths and stories merging with them, poetic interpolations to make it sound better and so on.

There is a peer-reviewed journal that concerns itself exclusively with this topic, and it's open access!

Can you tell me more about the sloth thing? Googling it only got me cryptozoology crazies

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I was going from the wiki page of Folk memory, but now I see that they don't give any sources for that (though there are other, better sourced examples like the Kaska in British Columbia speaking in 1907 of “[a] very large kind of animal which roamed the country a long time ago. It corresponded somewhat to white men's pictures of elephants. It was of huge size, in build like an elephant, had tusks, and was hairy. These animals were seen not so very long ago, it is said, generally singly, but none have been seen now for several generations. Indians come across their bones occasionally. The narrator said he and some others, a few years ago, came on a shoulder-blade [...] as wide as a table (about three feet)” which suspiciously sounds like a mammoth). Any other mentions of the Mapinguari I could find were either cryptozoologist nutters or vaguely talking about "anthropologists" who claim that. So it looks like this specific example turns out to be bullshit, sorry! :shobon:

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Besesoth posted:

What? No. The oral tradition from Collapse-era Greece wasn't pre-writing any more than, as System Metternich mentioned, the oral tradition of illiterate peasants in medieval France. Mycenaean Greece had writing - Linear B - which is even recognizably the ancestor of Homeric and Attic Greek. That literacy was largely lost in Greece in the Bronze Age Collapse doesn't make their oral tradition "pre-writing".

Going beyond that, we have plenty of writing from cultures that had contact with the Greeks, both in Homer's era and in the Mycenaean era, and that had had writing for more than a thousand years before the Collapse, and there's no evidence in their writing that the Greek thought process was fundamentally different from their own, which would be almost inevitable if the Trojan War-era Greeks had had a bicameral mind.

One of the things I find really interesting about historical scripts is how much textual information has been lost, or is available to us but completely indecipherable. There's stuff like the Phaistos Disk which contains a very developed writing system and archeologists can figure out if a script is an alphabet (symbol=sound) a syllabary (symbol=syllable) or a logogram (symbol=word/phrase/concept) or an exciting mixture of the three! Like it's been sorta concluded that the script on the disk is at least partially a syllabary based on the number of distinct symbols in the entire enscription (45 unique symbols making up a text of 241), and they know what direction you should read the text (from the outside going in a spiral to the centre) because the kerning gets closer together near the centre as the writer realised that they were running out of space; but nobody knows what the text actually says, and they can't know unless someone finds a Rosetta Stone for the Cretan hieroglyphic script.

The stone is also printed! Just imagine, if history had gone differently we might be writing in a script that includes a tiny head with a mohawk in it, instead of our crappy latin alphabet.

Here's the stone!

And here is the text:

The wikipedia article on the Cretan hieroglyphs is kinda vague as to whether the entire body of texts is just these three artifacts or if it also includes a bunch of other printed material. Whatever the truth is, we may never know it, but it will always be interesting. Other cool scripts include Maya, which has a really beautiful typography to it where each "word" is a mixture of syllablic and logographic signs combined together in a square. There's a lot of interesting reading you can do on Wikipedia on this subject, if you want to spend a few hours learning about lost languages. I like the example of the Phaistos Disk because the fact that it has an (apparently) unique Cretan script that was established enough on the island to make the necessary tools to print it, which is pretty amazing; I also like it because the text getting smushed the closer it gets to the centre is one of those moments where you can really feel the humanity of history by seeing them do poo poo that we still do today. The city I used to live in has a museum with some stone wall carvings from Akkad or Babylon, I think, and there is script carefully carved onto them, covering the clothes of the figures on the carvings but avoiding the finely detailed wings on these twelve foot tall bird-dudes. There's one carving where the mason wasn't paying attention and carved that text straight through the wings. Truly, it is our mistakes that make us human.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

System Metternich posted:

I was going from the wiki page of Folk memory, but now I see that they don't give any sources for that (though there are other, better sourced examples like the Kaska in British Columbia speaking in 1907 of “[a] very large kind of animal which roamed the country a long time ago. It corresponded somewhat to white men's pictures of elephants. It was of huge size, in build like an elephant, had tusks, and was hairy. These animals were seen not so very long ago, it is said, generally singly, but none have been seen now for several generations. Indians come across their bones occasionally. The narrator said he and some others, a few years ago, came on a shoulder-blade [...] as wide as a table (about three feet)” which suspiciously sounds like a mammoth). Any other mentions of the Mapinguari I could find were either cryptozoologist nutters or vaguely talking about "anthropologists" who claim that. So it looks like this specific example turns out to be bullshit, sorry! :shobon:
This reminds me of how, you know how the Egyptian gods are famous for having the heads of animals? A hawk, a jackal, and so on?

Nobody really knows the animal that Set has the head of. It has a consistent portrayal, and some have guessed that the different design is just meant to clarify that THIS jackal is Set while THAT jackal is Anubis, but one theory is that it was a regional animal, never common, that became extinct. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_animal

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

chitoryu12 posted:

But does the initial oral history that gets passed down come from a half-remembered story?
To get slightly stoner chat here, but even if there are some inaccuracies from transmission, does that make it more or less truthful than written history, which is forcibly shaped by editorial? Analysis, logic, and editorial can exist in oral cultures, but its hard to compete with a literal culture who can have works of words exist independent of memory and recitation.

Like if you want to purposefully edit some content in the Iliad, you find someone who knows the Iliad, get him to recite some large significant portion because memory tricks using poetic structure are probably in effect and they don't just have a table of contents to reference. You get to the portion you're interested in discussing, editing, analyzing. And now you need to commit it to memory for the mean time to work it over in your head.

If you want to edit something in writing, you suddenly don't need to find a history-giver, you don't need to commit passages to memory, you are allowed access to analyze and edit at your leisure, over days, weeks, months, years, and get just as good a shot at propagating your results as anyone else, poet or songwriter or not. You can focus on large scale structure, work through abstract thought processes unbound by narrative time and so on.

Its probably full of pop-psych and pop-sci that experts can poke holes in, but the opening chapters in Gleick's The Information would probably be cool for anybody who thinks the oral vs literal culture differences are cool without defaulting to wouldn't it be cool if their brains were different? Because its almost guaranteed thought processes are different, but it might be largely related to how there are different avenues of processing ideas between oral and literal peoples.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Rutibex posted:

Recent research into Australian Aboriginal dreamtime stories show that some of them could be 13,000 years old.

There's an article here talking about how Aboriginal stories in some parts of Australia describe the landscape before rises in sea levels changed the coastline.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Here's a cool fact about preserving oral tradition: Buddha's teachings were written down for the first time only some four hundred years after his death, in the 1st century BC. Prior to that, monks used to memorize the teachings, called suttas, through group chanting. We only found out how well the method worked after comparing writings originating from sects and groups that diverged very early in Buddhist history.

Not only did it turn out most of the teachings were preserved identically, word for word, in groups that had been separated for hundreds of years before they committed their suttas to paper, but we're also able to tell which ones had been added later, and when.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Helith posted:

Recent research into Australian Aboriginal dreamtime stories show that some of them could be 13,000 years old.

There's an article here talking about how Aboriginal stories in some parts of Australia describe the landscape before rises in sea levels changed the coastline.

There was a recent article about Native American stories of, essentially, a tsunami. These types of stories were presumed false for decades -- just myths. But it turns out that there is evidence that this actually happened, and may happen again, in the Pacific Northwest.

Similarly, Native American creation myths for the Chumash say that they began life on the Channel Islands off the coast of California. Again, this was presumed to be a typical myth. However, an ancient skeleton was found below a waterfall on the islands -- predating mainland remains.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Nessus posted:

This reminds me of how, you know how the Egyptian gods are famous for having the heads of animals? A hawk, a jackal, and so on?

Nobody really knows the animal that Set has the head of. It has a consistent portrayal, and some have guessed that the different design is just meant to clarify that THIS jackal is Set while THAT jackal is Anubis, but one theory is that it was a regional animal, never common, that became extinct. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Set_animal

I've always assumed it was an aardvark, by people who wouldn't have seen them often (but their range extends into Egypt somewhat, and they could have been transported there). But yeah, pretty weird.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Pick posted:

I've always assumed it was an aardvark, by people who wouldn't have seen them often (but their range extends into Egypt somewhat, and they could have been transported there). But yeah, pretty weird.

Set is often associated with Upper Egypt. Aardvarks definitely live there, and used to live in more of it, so I'd say that's not a bad guess at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
Primi Visconti was an Italian soothsayer, fortune-teller, and all around mystic. In 1673 he made his way to Paris, where he hoped to get in with the Royal court. A friend introduced him to Louis XIV while the king was strolling around the garden. Louis, who was in a playful mood, said, "All right, Visconti, tell me what's happening in 15 minutes, or I'll have your head."

Visconti replied, "Sire, 15 minutes from now I'll still have my head."

Louis broke out laughing; he loved quick wits and people who weren't afraid to use them around him. From that point onward, Visconti was a fixture at his court.