Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Can someone show me a somewhat likely map which shows Clinton losing, while winning Florida? Maybe if she lost Pennsylvania and Michigan and (Nevada or New Hampshire)?

Edit: I guess this would be the map.

The way I see it, Florida is a tossup. But if she wins it, she will win the election. So that's already at least a 50% chance. But there are plenty maps she can win without Florida. So I still kinda think her winning chances are a bit undervalued. I will probably make a Clinton bet soon.

What a pretty picture to start a new page.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

CannonFodder posted:

Well for neighbors, I have a neighbor with a Never Hillary sign. For idiot co workers, someone at the Ocala terminal offered up the information that he could never vote for Hillary because of the Bible. The Bible says that a man should never be subservient to a woman. And why should he go against God?

I kinda wanted to ask "and you keep Kosher?" because I thought that poo poo was Old Testament but I wasn't sure so I just peaced out.

My friend is no longer watching 'shark tank' because Mark Cuban is a trump hater.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

No, we cannot. NV is an apparent lock for Clinton. With Florida she only needs PA and then that's a gg.

If by some magic Trump gets Pennsylvania, Hillary can take VA and Wisconsin. Both over 90% chance to go to Dems (Pennsylvania has 'only' 89% lmao). Then the rest don't matter and it's gg again.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/presidential-polls-forecast.html?_r=0

People have been so loving shook this election that the media bought Trump's bullshit and have yet to realize that "oh poo poo, this dumb motherfucker has like no way to win!" and NV just sealed that deal.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

SSNeoman posted:

No, we cannot. NV is an apparent lock for Clinton. With Florida she only needs PA and then that's a gg.

If by some magic Trump gets Pennsylvania, Hillary can take VA and Wisconsin. Both over 90% chance to go to Dems (Pennsylvania has 'only' 89% lmao). Then the rest don't matter and it's gg again.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/upshot/presidential-polls-forecast.html?_r=0

People have been so loving shook this election that the media bought Trump's bullshit and have yet to realize that "oh poo poo, this dumb motherfucker has like no way to win!" and NV just sealed that deal.

Nothing's final until the votes are in, you can hardly blame people for being concerned that the Republicans could control all three branches of government along with a literal mentally ill person having his tiny fingers on the button

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Lemming posted:

Nothing's final until the votes are in, you can hardly blame people for being concerned that the Republicans could control all three branches of government along with a literal mentally ill person having his tiny fingers on the button

We can definitely blame them for coming up with increasingly unlikely scenarios to panic over rather than taking a deep breath, hitting up the nearest taco truck, and praising Dread Abuela's impeccable GOTV game.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
There's also the Senate to arzy about. If we don't gain the Senate then that's a substantial loss.

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn
How close are all the senates?

nm I looked it up. http://edition.cnn.com/2016/11/03/politics/senate-races-flip-2016/

Rodatose fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Nov 6, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Liquid Communism posted:

We can definitely blame them for coming up with increasingly unlikely scenarios to panic over rather than taking a deep breath, hitting up the nearest taco truck, and praising Dread Abuela's impeccable GOTV game.

Never stop expecting the worst of deplorables in and out of power until the Black Queen takes her rightful throne and the Senate and Court are infiltrated, as unlikely as her defeat in the presidential election is. For these are the people that would cast away democracy for revenge like they have with everything else. Do what you can to help sane and functional government exist until the elections are over.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rodatose posted:

How close are all the senates?
Here's the current situation as tracked by PEC.

Now as you can see there are five on track to win but most of them are fairly slim margins. Sam Wang gives the Dems an 80% chance of winning the Senate, accordingly. Personally, I think :shillary:'s ground game and Satanic pacts mean we'll also get the two ties, NH and MO, but I don't know the situations there. If Satan really delivers on His Dark Promise, we might pick off Rubio too, which would just be swell in my opinion. gently caress that thirsty little man.

Of some note is that I think Murkowski on this list can be negotiated with, though that's more "the GOP tried to gently caress her hard and she won a write-in campaign against all odds."

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

What sort of numbers would Trump have to pull to take NV at this stage?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

KaptainKrunk posted:

What sort of numbers would Trump have to pull to take NV at this stage?
I believe he would need a dramatic upswell in Republican turnout and would also need to win indies by like 25%, which seems unlikely. That was as of a couple of days ago, could be worse for him now.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
question, why is it bad to have any sort of relation to Russia? i mean i don't trust trump and he want to work for russia for his hotel, but why can't Hillary talk to pudin and work together on some trade or poo poo.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Because Putin is an authoritarian piece of poo poo who keeps annexing parts of neighboring countries and is actively trying to undermine the American presidential election

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

I don't know if this is a weird question to ask, but are any of you putting money on this?

I'm not from the US, so I don't understand why the outcome is such a lock, but I feel like if I knew something was a sure thing and no one else did I could put my life savings on it and make a lot of money.

PredictIt is still selling Hillary shares at 77c (when from reading this thread I'd expect it to be more like 99 cents). Unfortunately, I don't even know what these maps and poo poo mean, so I can't bring myself to do it. Goons have been wrong before.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Cyron posted:

question, why is it bad to have any sort of relation to Russia? i mean i don't trust trump and he want to work for russia for his hotel, but why can't Hillary talk to pudin and work together on some trade or poo poo.

Trumps got money running all over the place and he's not disclosing any of it. Does he have financial conflicts of interest that would hinder him doing his job as Potus? Probably. Is it some of it headed towards the oligarchy that runs Russia? What influence will that have over him when it comes to matters of national security/diplomacy?

Edit: to the poster above I've got 350$ on it. I've done OK betting on elections in the past and this looks like quite a good thing @ 1.50$

hiddenmovement fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Nov 6, 2016

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

hiddenmovement posted:

Trumps got money running all over the place and he's not disclosing any of it. Does he have financial conflicts of interest that would hinder him doing his job as Potus? Probably. Is it some of it headed towards the oligarchy that runs Russia? What influence will that have over him when it comes to matters of national security/diplomacy?

Edit: to the poster above I've got 350$ on it. I've done OK betting on elections in the past and this looks like quite a good thing @ 1.50$
I believe the answer is "CROOKED HILLARY" shouted over the other person on the TV interview, asking these questions.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Lemming posted:

This is something I was wondering about, but maybe it's a question not close enough to election stuff. I'll ask, but if it's out of topic bounds please feel free to ignore me. Other than their own common sense, is there any check on the President's nuclear authority? The way people talk about the metaphorical button makes it sound like if the POTUS decides a place needs a radiation bath there's no internal stopping them, but I don't know how true that really is or isn't.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

HorseRenoir posted:

Because Putin is an authoritarian piece of poo poo who keeps annexing parts of neighboring countries and is actively trying to undermine the American presidential election

An authoritarian piece of poo poo who is 5-10 years shy of the prime window for senility, and has functioned above both international *and* his own country's 'laws' since taking office. If anyone ever decides to depose Putin - they'd better not gently caress up and miss.

Also, given everything we know about Putin - if he is ever put in a position where he might have to answer for himself and/or potentially get off the gravy train he's been the conductor of for sixteen years and running (every so often letting his BFF run things so he can go off and have naked Bear and Siberian Tiger orgies), do you really think he'll gently caress off *quietly* to his dacha, or seriously consider burning the world instead, because if he can't be a significant part of controlling it, why should anyone else get to?

Mind over Matter posted:

This is something I was wondering about, but maybe it's a question not close enough to election stuff. I'll ask, but if it's out of topic bounds please feel free to ignore me. Other than their own common sense, is there any check on the President's nuclear authority? The way people talk about the metaphorical button makes it sound like if the POTUS decides a place needs a radiation bath there's no internal stopping them, but I don't know how true that really is or isn't.

The National Command Authority is a 'two-man system.' The President alone cannot order the *immediate* use of nuclear weapons. It requires a second authentication (usually the Secretary of Defense as he/she will be on the NEACP, but all Cabinet members are instructed how to utilize the system should the SecDef not be available). It's *definitely* not a perfect system, but in the presence of an unsound mind on behalf of the President, it does incorporate the need for a second party to go "yeah sure, let's go with crazy this time - sanity hasn't been working." The reason the system isn't perfect is that if SecDef doesn't concur with the order, the President can fire him, and then, all it takes is an almost never-ending line of undersecretaries until one of them confirms the order.

So yes, if on January 20th, right after giving his inauguration speech, Trump says "I wanna come on the scene with a 'bang' - drop a B83 on ISIS," all he needs is the Football and the SecDef who's obligated to concur with the Commander-in-Chief and authorize its use.

Oh, right...and the US has never agreed to a "no first use" policy in regards to nuclear weapons. Under *any* President since their invention. Including Obama.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Nov 6, 2016

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Cyron posted:

Putin, in addition to his charming habit of randomly invading Eastern Europe, is actively attempting to interfere with western democratic elections via hacking, organizing widespread online disinformation/psyops campaigns and financially backing far-right candidates. There wouldn't be any problem having normal relations with Russia if its leader weren't actively trying to restart the Cold War.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Mind over Matter posted:

There is no practical checks outside secdef verifying that the order is given. The system for the president launching nukes is designed for speed and efficiency, not debate, discussion and second-guessing.

There is some vague ideas that the people who actually fires the nukes might not do it (because it's basically extinguishing the world), but as it has been mentioned previously, the crew on the nuclear subs actually don't know whether it's a drill or the real thing until the missiles don't launch, so there isn't actually a choice involved at all. There are however at least one pretty serious set of checks and balances in place to prevent planet-wide nuclear devastation, it's goes as follows: DON'T ELECT A LITERAL FASCIST MORON AS PRESIDENT!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Meh, I wanted to make a bet, but the market seems a quite a bit worse by now. I'd only get $125 for $100. I mean it still looks like I'd win free money, but that corresponds to a 80% chance. While I think that $150 for $100 i.e. 66% odds seem underrated, I'm not sure if I can give her 80% odds. Also there are quite high betting taxes around here. I guess I wont make that bet.

Mind over Matter posted:

Nope. There's no such thing as a sanity check. If the president orders it, the people operating the nuclear nuclear missiles have to follow his command within minutes. I guess some would commit high treason and refuse that command, but you can bet that that's not all. And once a few missiles are in the air, the others will follow anyway (What's there to lose at that point).

This system is in place so that a president has always the final say. Just imagine if a Soviet puppet was in a place of high power and could stop the president from demonstrating the might of the USA. But obviously nobody would ever elect such a person President.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Nov 6, 2016

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The only other check-and-balance on the use of nuclear weapons is the willingness of those who have the responsibility to drop/launch them to have the constitution to turn the key or press the button.

Here's the story of a guy who asked an ~unconscionable~ yet logical question back in 1973: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Hering

Also, just gonna leave this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EO9y4rGxvk

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Hollismason posted:

This election has really strained my relationships with my family. I will be glad when it is over.
I'm thankful that between our various jobs, seasonal business, and us having a new baby, that we haven't had a lot of opportunity to get together.

Especially in light of my sisters latest FB post. A teacher with a masters and two daughters is going Trump.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/795222914475917312

Expecting generalissimo Donald "Patton-Rommel" Trump to share his hot take in how this will absolutely be a disaster like Mosul.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
My favorite part of this election has been everyone realizing how lovely their family members are. They have always been this way - you just never paid attention.

I have got a deplorable brother, but he is an Ann Coulter megafan - so I didn't expect any better. If you run him through the issues one by one, he doesn't agree with them on anything, but he is still a die hard wingnut.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Im amazed people are confident enough to bet when elctoral college fuckos are flipping to trump and the fbi is messing around like that

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

canepazzo posted:

Expecting generalissimo Donald "Patton-Rommel" Trump to share his hot take in how this will absolutely be a disaster like Mosul.

Given his love for Putin it's very likely he's also a fan of Erdogan in which case he'll be quoting the Sultan on why this is very bad and that the Kurds are terrible.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Im amazed people are confident enough to bet when elctoral college fuckos are flipping to trump and the fbi is messing around like that

If they lose the bet and Trump wins we're all dead anyway so there's no real downside.

ReV VAdAUL fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Nov 6, 2016

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

ReV VAdAUL posted:

If they lose the bet and Trump wins we're all dead anyway so there's no real downside.

Yes. It's kind of like betting against the 2012 apocalypse. Seriously though, there are strong indications for a market crash in case of a Trump presidency. It already happened a bit when Comey sent his letter. He will manage to tanke the international markets, before even issuing any policies. Maybe even before the inauguration. So realistically, your money is worth way less if he wins anyway.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 6, 2016

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

canepazzo posted:

This wouldn't have happened if Trump hadn't pointed out how stupid it was to attack Mosul after announcing it well before. Pentagon and SDF are learning from the master of deception!

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do Trump supporters actually believe he has a secret plan to defeat ISIS, instead of just claiming that so he has time to wing it eventually?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Cingulate posted:

Do Trump supporters actually believe he has a secret plan to defeat ISIS, instead of just claiming that so he has time to wing it eventually?

Hillary has been fighting ISIS for all her adulthood, and look how far that has gotten her. Donald Trump has a yuuge brain and the best genes - THE BEST - which is why he is endorsed by all the best retired generals, therefore he knows how to solve this. First, you nuke Mosul

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I'm sure four years after ISIS is no longer a regional threat we are gonna be hearing about how much Clinton and Obama hosed up on handling them.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I know you've got sanctions on Russia over Crimea, but what if Hilldawg worked out a trade deal or something.

Jesus Christ, I wish the US could get away with half as much poo poo that autistic kgb jackass gets away with and still have people wanting to use kid gloves. Unbelievable!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Radish posted:

I'm sure four years after ISIS is no longer a regional threat we are gonna be hearing about how much Clinton and Obama hosed up on handling them.

Hah no, attention will turn back to new Ben Ghazi hearings as soon as Raqqa falls.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
oh cool are we posting maps here's mine:

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Kilroy posted:

oh cool are we posting maps here's mine:

Hah Texas but not Ohio seems questionable

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZHrSK0l3dY

Everything I know about Americans, I know from Dave Chappelle.

So here he talks about how (white) Americans don't like to share whom they're voting for. Was that a thing that's changed? Recently? Cause everyone seems to have a story about their family talking about supporting Trump.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Jesus Christ, I wish the US could get away with half as much poo poo that autistic kgb jackass gets away with and still have people wanting to use kid gloves. Unbelievable!

They use kid gloves precisely because Putin is considered unstable, or at best unpredictable. You don't kick a bear if it's liable to suddenly maul you. Elect Donald Trump, and you'll get your wish.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Cingulate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZHrSK0l3dY

Everything I know about Americans, I know from Dave Chappelle.

So here he talks about how (white) Americans don't like to share whom they're voting for. Was that a thing that's changed? Recently? Cause everyone seems to have a story about their family talking about supporting Trump.
With how extremely polarized it's gotten I'd imagine it'd be even worse now than in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Surprise Giraffe posted:

They probably aren't flipping to Trump, the two guys are Bernouts so they're probably flipping to Johnson like loving idiots

If they're even going to be flip, and aren't just trying to generate interest in the pipeline protest

• Locked thread