Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Joda posted:

Just got a Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016,) and am trying to figure out when/how I can update it from Lollipop to Marshmallow, but it's pretty hard to figure out what Samsung's roll-out plans are. Apparently they started rolling out Marshmallow on A3s in Korea all the way back in July, but beyond that I can't figure out if they just stopped rolling it out, if there's something I need to do beyond using "manual update," or if they're seriously taking 4 months between roll-outs in different regions, when they're letting EU devices update. Do I just need to be patient? Is there somewhere you can actually see ETAs on new Android versions for your device?

It's cute that you think think four months is a long time to wait for an update. Are you new here on earth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Joda posted:

Just got a Samsung Galaxy A3 (2016,) and am trying to figure out when/how I can update it from Lollipop to Marshmallow, but it's pretty hard to figure out what Samsung's roll-out plans are. Apparently they started rolling out Marshmallow on A3s in Korea all the way back in July, but beyond that I can't figure out if they just stopped rolling it out, if there's something I need to do beyond using "manual update," or if they're seriously taking 4 months between roll-outs in different regions, when they're letting EU devices update. Do I just need to be patient? Is there somewhere you can actually see ETAs on new Android versions for your device?

To even begin to answer that question, we'd need to know if it's a Network-Locked model or not.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Kerbtree posted:

To even begin to answer that question, we'd need to know if it's a Network-Locked model or not.

Didn't know that was relevant, but it is.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Joda posted:

Didn't know that was relevant, but it is.

The short answer is lol you're never going to get an update ever.

The long answer is who knows? I bet that update is right around the corner! Just be patient, friend.

Out of curiosity, what is the security patch date in About Phone?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

The long answer is who knows? I bet that update is right around the corner! Just be patient, friend.

May 1, 2016

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

LastInLine posted:

Instead of being a condescending rear end in a top hat to someone that doesn't have over 1000 posts in this thread you could just say that for less mainstream phones the manufacturers tend to be very tight-lipped about OS updates between regions. If you can't find anything with some light googling then a date or even a timeframe hasn't been announced.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Joda posted:

May 1, 2016

Okay well those get released every month so it's six routine security patches behind and two software versions behind the current Android version, the latter of which doesn't even exist for your device at all and the former might never have been localized for outside of Korea.

If your carrier cared about updating devices then you wouldn't be behind on the security patches because they're specifically designed to pass carrier testing quickly (they only address security vulnerabilities and don't add features). I don't know if Samsung is good about making security patches for their non-flagship phones but they've been okay at doing so for their flagships. There's a good chance neither Samsung nor your carrier give a poo poo and you'll forever have an out-of-date, insecure device. I mean, they sold it to you in that condition and in all honesty it's very likely to always be that way.

The fact is that if you aren't buying direct from Google or Apple, you aren't going to have updates. When it comes to OEMs you might see support for their flagships for a while (and like I said, remarkably Samsung has actually been good about this both for feature updates and security patches) but it's decidedly slower and support will be dropped sooner. As soon as you step down to anything less than a flagship phone, you're lucky if you see one update and security isn't an afterthought so much as never considered.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Joda posted:

What model number is your handset and what carrier are you on?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What model number is your handset and what carrier are you on?

SM-A310F. Carrier is a Scandinavian carrier called Telmore.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Joda posted:

Have a look at the list of firmware here. 6.0.1 is available from some carriers. If you're comfortable flashing the device, you can grab a compatible 6.0.1 ROM.

I got my phone (Galaxy S7) directly from Vodafone UK but was able to download the generic United Kingdom (BTU in firmware-speak) ROM and flash it onto the device, so I now get updates from Samsung directly instead of Vodafone. That said, October's security update went through Vodafone before it was pushed to unlocked handsets, which I will never understand. It's happened more than once.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Have a look at the list of firmware here. 6.0.1 is available from some carriers. If you're comfortable flashing the device, you can grab a compatible 6.0.1 ROM.

I got my phone (Galaxy S7) directly from Vodafone UK but was able to download the generic United Kingdom (BTU in firmware-speak) ROM and flash it onto the device, so I now get updates from Samsung directly instead of Vodafone. That said, October's security update went through Vodafone before it was pushed to unlocked handsets, which I will never understand. It's happened more than once.

Alright, thanks. I didn't actually know it was carrier dependent, so I guess I'll write them to hear if they have it planned sometime in the near future first.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Anyone else having problems with Pixel bluetooth connections? I have a bluetooth player connected to my line-in in my car that connected just fine with my Note 3, but my Pixel XL won't even detect it. I was reading up on it and it might be something to do with the version of Android on the Pixel. Super annoying because I use it every single day to and from work. The speaker is loud on the phone, but it isn't the same thing.

If anyone has a player they use in the car that works with their Pixel I would love to know.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hamelekim posted:

Anyone else having problems with Pixel bluetooth connections? I have a bluetooth player connected to my line-in in my car that connected just fine with my Note 3, but my Pixel XL won't even detect it. I was reading up on it and it might be something to do with the version of Android on the Pixel. Super annoying because I use it every single day to and from work. The speaker is loud on the phone, but it isn't the same thing.

If anyone has a player they use in the car that works with their Pixel I would love to know.

There's always something wrong with every version of android in every phone in every car.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hamelekim posted:

Anyone else having problems with Pixel bluetooth connections?

Yes, lots of people.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
And since you can have the same car, Bluetooth adapter/stereo, phone, and patch version and not get remotely the same results it's drat hard to fix.

In a general sense. Looks like the Pixel one might be more wide spread sadly.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
Mine wouldn't pair with my 2017 Sante Fe, with the latest firmware, so I opened up a feedback ticket through the support app, and then right after I rebooted my phone and restarted the car, and reset the head unit and it's been working perfectly (including Android Auto) ever since.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My car won't automatically connect to my phone unless you pair it via the voice menu triggered by the buttons on the steering column. If you pair it directly on the head unit, it won't work unless you make the phone find it each time.

Will Rice
Jun 6, 2006
Will Sweep!
Is there a good guide on how to remove lockscreen ads on a Moto g4?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Will Rice posted:

lockscreen ads

:psyduck: What the gently caress?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
I'm sure someone else has asked - so is there a recommended car charger for the Pixel that doesn't have nightmare Amazon reviews of how it/they killed people's Nexus 6? Anker doesn't have one that specifically says "Google/Pixel-ready," and they're generally my go-to.

Not even Anker's product page with the cherry-picked customer reviews for the PowerDrive +2 QC 3.0 (I know the Pixel doesn't use QC) mention the Pixel.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 6, 2016

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
It's subsidized by Amazon, just like their cheaper versions of the Kindle line.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm sure someone else has asked - so is there a recommended car charger for the Pixel that doesn't have nightmare Amazon reviews of how they killed people's Nexus 6? Anker doesn't have one that specifically says "Google/Pixel-ready," and they're generally my go-to.

Not even Anker's product page with the cherry-picked customer reviews for the PowerDrive +2 QC 3.0 (I know the Pixel doesn't use QC) mention the Pixel.

The google store has a couple for sale, I would choose those if you want to really be safe.

100% Dundee
Oct 11, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm sure someone else has asked - so is there a recommended car charger for the Pixel that doesn't have nightmare Amazon reviews of how it/they killed people's Nexus 6? Anker doesn't have one that specifically says "Google/Pixel-ready," and they're generally my go-to.

The "best" car charger according to the huge Nathan & Benson Suggested Charging Peripherals Google Doc is the Belkin 27w one, item# F7U004BT04-BLK. It just so happens to also be the higher tier/more expensive one sold by Google Itself, comes with a cable, charges at full speed I believe and does so safely. Available for anywhere from $39.99-$44.99 from various online retailers. Not sure if it's just a very new item or very limited production though since Belkins website says "coming soon" and many of the retailers seem to be consistently sold out, even the Google store. Think Verizon might have some in stock if you need it now.

Haven't made the purchase yet myself because so far the battery life on my Pixel XL has been outstanding. When I come home after a day of work, my battery is never lower than 60% so I might not even need one. I'll have to take a road trip wtih navigation or something to see how much I can drain the battery I'm thinking.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The Moto G4 Play without lockscreen ads is 20 dollars off right now (130USD/Black only).
https://amzn.com/B01J88GV0C

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Belkin charger is available from Verizon for like $24.99 and it ships immediately. Verizon also has their own USB C car charger that's fairly good and gets high marks.

This Vinsic charger was tested as electrically sound by Benson and your can use a good cable with it and it's only $10

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014...fUML&ref=plSrch

Downside is it's only 15w, but unless you have an XL, that doesn't matter.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Realistically, on an XL, will the difference between 15 and 18w charging actually be noticeable?

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Joda posted:

If it's on Telmore, it isn't locked to any particular carrier.

The only phones in Denmark, which are locked to a carrier, are iPhones.

Anyways, if you feel up for an adventure, you can download and flash the German (DBT) firmware.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-A310F/DBT/

Kidney Stone fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Nov 6, 2016

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Kidney Stone posted:

If it's on Telmore, it isn't locked to any particular carrier.

The only phones in Denmark, which are locked to a carrier, are iPhones.

Anyways, if you feel up for an adventure, you can download and flash the German (DBT) firmware.

http://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/database/SM-A310F/DBT/

I would honestly recommend doing this. Backup all your stuff, as flashing the ROM will wipe your phone, but 6.0.1 is a much better OS than 5.1.1, which I found to be quite buggy at times, though nowhere near as bad as the initial 5.0 release, which was horrible.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
I probably will. Some more searching and apparently we most likely aren't getting it on A3s in Denmark at all because they're not localising it and for whatever loving reason they can't just let me get it anyway, because it's super important that I get a localised version?

One of the main reasons I got a new phone in the first place was battery life, and as I understand it 6 is better in that regard. Also, luckily it's an all new phone, so any data I might want to transfer is already part of my Google account. Say something goes wrong during the flashing process, is it possible to recover somehow? Some guides out there make it sound like it's a decent shot it'll turn my phone into a very expensive fashion statement.

Joda fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 6, 2016

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Joda posted:

I probably will. One of the main reasons I got a new phone in the first place was battery life, and as I understand it 6 is better in that regard. Also, luckily it's an all new phone, so any data I might want to transfer is already part of my Google account. Say something goes wrong during the flashing process, is it possible to recover somehow? Some guides out there make it sound like it's a decent shot it'll turn my phone into a very expensive fashion statement.

You should be ok if you follow instructions precisely. I'm not overly savvy with these things and each time I flashed a ROM I poo poo bricks, and there's always the chance something could go tits-up. If you muck it up, maybe your carrier shop can help if you play dumb :unsmith:

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Joda posted:

I probably will. Some more searching and apparently we most likely aren't getting it on A3s in Denmark at all because they're not localising it and for whatever loving reason they can't just let me get it anyway, because it's super important that I get a localised version?

One of the main reasons I got a new phone in the first place was battery life, and as I understand it 6 is better in that regard. Also, luckily it's an all new phone, so any data I might want to transfer is already part of my Google account. Say something goes wrong during the flashing process, is it possible to recover somehow? Some guides out there make it sound like it's a decent shot it'll turn my phone into a very expensive fashion statement.

It's not at all difficult to flash new formware onto a Samsung phone - just follow the instructions here:

https://androidmtk.com/flash-samsung-stock-rom-using-odin

And, if you need any help, drop me a PM - I might be able to help you out in person, depending on where you are in Denmark?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
That was surprisingly smooth. Didn't even have to restore my data or anything, apps, contacts, messages, everything's there. Thanks for the help!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Joda posted:

That was surprisingly smooth. Didn't even have to restore my data or anything, apps, contacts, messages, everything's there. Thanks for the help!

Glad it went well (not taking credit for Kidney Stone's advice). I would suggest doing a factory reset of the phone now anyway, as sometimes major Android upgrades cause weird problems.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I thought it was a daily occurance to restart your nougat phone?

my nexus 6 runs all fucky if I don't (i.e. Crashing apps, slow camera etc...). Just give it a reboot.

Also after a major update I tend to do a factory reset so I can get a factory fresh image otherwise you notice a massive drop in performance after a few months.

Funnily enough with Windows 10 I have to reboot my workstation, Laptop and home computer daily. No more 8 week uptimes :(

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

spiky butthole posted:

Funnily enough with Windows 10 I have to reboot my workstation, Laptop and home computer daily. No more 8 week uptimes :(

That shouldn't be needed, post about it in the Windows 10 thread.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

spiky butthole posted:

my nexus 6 runs all fucky if I don't (i.e. Crashing apps, slow camera etc...). Just give it a reboot.

Also after a major update I tend to do a factory reset so I can get a factory fresh image otherwise you notice a massive drop in performance after a few months.

You shouldn't need to restart your phone every day either.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I restart my Nexus 5 once a month, when the security update comes out and that's it. I'd wager most of the rest of us have a similar experience.* Something's weird with your device or choice of apps.

*Not counting of course Samsungs that literally prompt you to reboot if your device is on for too long.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

spiky butthole posted:

You shouldn't need to daily reboot your phone nor your Windows 10 devices. Something is wrong on both.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Not counting of course Samsungs that literally prompt you to reboot if your device is on for too long.

Did they stop doing this or have I not hit the time limit? I've left my work S7 on for five days now and it hasn't bugged me to restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

LastInLine posted:

[sub]Not counting of course Samsungs that literally prompt you to reboot if your device is on for too long.

I had a note 3 for 4 years and never had that happen to me.