Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Commissar Kip posted:

Now I need tissues again :(, I miss that guy.
Word. He was one of the people that made playing EVE fun. Also, he once saved my rear end by showing up out of nowhere like a goddamned avenging angel (in his Dominix, of course). Pourin' out a 40 over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
The age old problem of moderns....

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Grey Hunter posted:

The age old problem of moderns....

Well, you can also feel bad about playing Darkest Africa games or any other colonial wars games.

The Benghazi miniatures don't look too different from any other operator miniatures, unless they're meant to be specific guys who were there.

...Little Green Men miniatures came out even faster.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

DiHK posted:

I have ospreys gempei war, shogun armies and ashigaru books, all good though the art is not as polished as that. Great resources for figuring out how to shoehorn them into an existing ruleset, I just gotta try out some different rulesets.
Yeah, I'm kind of trying to figure out how to emulate the Joshigun. I think you could do it easily in Ronin, just have them as unarmoured Samurai, and I guess the same for Sharpe Practice. Yaeko is kind of trickier, partially because from accounts she actually lead raiding forces, which is difficult for Ronin since the only rifle-armed mini is the generic Soldier. I guess she'd be some kind of Leader for SP? Do leaders have their own shooting profile? I only have Chain of Command, so I'm fumbling blindly at grasping the system.

muggins posted:

Can you imagine playing benghazi at an historical con with grogs
What the gently caress, humanity.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I'd allow an historically accurate game that explains how literally nothing could have changed Benghazi's outcome.

"I'll deploy my special forces guys from Italy."
"They won't arrive for eight turns."
"But there's only six turns in this scenario!"

Introduce variant rules / scenarios where the US could "win," but to only dive home and document the fact that these favorable conditions are purely theoretical and absolutely did not exist.

Use box art of a high speed bearded operator hero and a distressed HRC to ensure it gets into the right hands. Maybe feature a "Based on countless hours of investigation!" blurb.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Yvonmukluk posted:

Yeah, I'm kind of trying to figure out how to emulate the Joshigun. I think you could do it easily in Ronin, just have them as unarmoured Samurai, and I guess the same for Sharpe Practice. Yaeko is kind of trickier, partially because from accounts she actually lead raiding forces, which is difficult for Ronin since the only rifle-armed mini is the generic Soldier. I guess she'd be some kind of Leader for SP? Do leaders have their own shooting profile? I only have Chain of Command, so I'm fumbling blindly at grasping the system.

In SP there's a rule for "tomahawks" in the FIW lists, which is used for shinsengumi and other close combat troops in the Boshin War lists. Basically it means that they are scary in close combat. I'd basically use the already existing Boshin War lists for SP, and make my own stats for the Joshigun. Making your own stats is super easy in SP, and I basically made my own French 1812 invasion of Russia list, as I didn't like the lists that got closest to the period (Peninsular 1812, which was AFAIK quite different from the Grand Armée in autumn 1812).

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Chain of Command question: Can a leader use two of his initiative points to have a team fire twice consecutively int he same phase?

I guess more in general I feel I don't have a solid grasp on the activation/command parts. For example if a U.S. rifle section is on the table and I roll a 3 that means I would need to use two points of initiative to have both the rifle team and the BAR team to fire? One point for both and I could do the above two-fire option? Or one to fire, one to do something else (grenade, etc.)?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

Springfield Fatts posted:

Chain of Command question: Can a leader use two of his initiative points to have a team fire twice consecutively int he same phase?

I guess more in general I feel I don't have a solid grasp on the activation/command parts. For example if a U.S. rifle section is on the table and I roll a 3 that means I would need to use two points of initiative to have both the rifle team and the BAR team to fire? One point for both and I could do the above two-fire option? Or one to fire, one to do something else (grenade, etc.)?

Something can only be activated once, so no shooting twice.

If your teams are close enough and you want to fire on the same target you can activate the whole section with one initiative.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Yvonmukluk posted:

lilljonas posted:

In SP there's a rule for "tomahawks" in the FIW lists, which is used for shinsengumi and other close combat troops in the Boshin War lists. Basically it means that they are scary in close combat. I'd basically use the already existing Boshin War lists for SP, and make my own stats for the Joshigun. Making your own stats is super easy in SP, and I basically made my own French 1812 invasion of Russia list, as I didn't like the lists that got closest to the period (Peninsular 1812, which was AFAIK quite different from the Grand Armée in autumn 1812).

I think Sharp Practice is a little too abstract for what I want to do with Gempei/Sengoku, but I haven't actually played it yet so I'm reserving judgement. leaders in SP have limited functionality and I want them to function more like a leader and a combat unit. Also one of the neat parts of SP for me is the formation stuff but it's very european. I also have the Ronin game book and I want to play some Chain of Command. Saga is another option. This is all just preliminary for me, it will likely be a year or more before I come up with something solid.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
http://i.imgur.com/f8dOKkv.gifv

"Charger!"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Springfield Fatts posted:

As zokie said, something can only be activated once per phase.

For handling teams individually, there may be times when you have to do that (i.e. the teams are more than 4" apart from each other) or where you want to (for instance you want your LMG to throw down its dice for damage on one target unit, but have your rifle team provide covering fire on a different target unit. And finally, yes, there's other stuff like grenades, rifle grenades, rallying shock, etc.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

moths posted:

I'd allow an historically accurate game that explains how literally nothing could have changed Benghazi's outcome.

"I'll deploy my special forces guys from Italy."
"They won't arrive for eight turns."
"But there's only six turns in this scenario!"

Introduce variant rules / scenarios where the US could "win," but to only dive home and document the fact that these favorable conditions are purely theoretical and absolutely did not exist.

Use box art of a high speed bearded operator hero and a distressed HRC to ensure it gets into the right hands. Maybe feature a "Based on countless hours of investigation!" blurb.

Lol

Follow it up with a Malheur duck park what if

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

JcDent posted:

Well, you can also feel bad about playing Darkest Africa games or any other colonial wars games.

The Benghazi miniatures don't look too different from any other operator miniatures, unless they're meant to be specific guys who were there.

...Little Green Men miniatures came out even faster.

That's always one thing that gives me pause in historical games of any kind. The fact I am playing a thing for FUN that caused actual death and suffering. But on the other hand it is teaching you history to some degree. I now know more about WW2 tanks than ever before. (And I have Squad Leader plus Cross of Iron to sperg out the Eastern Front. And very close to a full ASL Starter Kit collection if I want to sperg hard but not go full hyper grog.)

An actual military vet/retired journalist/cancer survivor also made the good point it lets you see a conflict from both sides. Which is a very good point. Not every German WW2 soldier was a Jew killing monster. Not every North Korean soldier was aware he was helping to create decades of suffering for his people. Not every 19th Century British soldier was out there enforcing an empire of suffering.

Playing historical games can at least help us understand or empathize with a poor GI who committed evil upon a random Vietnamese village, or revolutionaries holding people hostage in Iran. (There is a Steve Jackson game based on the Iranian Hostage Crisis in 79-80. I own it. I need to play that poo poo badly.)

It should never forgive the evils done in war but it helps us to remember and maybe understand why. So we can make sure it never happens again.

I am still gonna paint my Flames of War Germans like the guys from Wolfenstein 3d though. I'll feel a bit better about it. Now where to find a 15mm scale BJ Blascowitz and Mecha Hitler so I can do FLAMES OF WAR CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Captain Rufus posted:

That's always one thing that gives me pause in historical games of any kind. The fact I am playing a thing for FUN that caused actual death and suffering. But on the other hand it is teaching you history to some degree. I now know more about WW2 tanks than ever before. (And I have Squad Leader plus Cross of Iron to sperg out the Eastern Front. And very close to a full ASL Starter Kit collection if I want to sperg hard but not go full hyper grog.)

An actual military vet/retired journalist/cancer survivor also made the good point it lets you see a conflict from both sides. Which is a very good point. Not every German WW2 soldier was a Jew killing monster. Not every North Korean soldier was aware he was helping to create decades of suffering for his people. Not every 19th Century British soldier was out there enforcing an empire of suffering.

Playing historical games can at least help us understand or empathize with a poor GI who committed evil upon a random Vietnamese village, or revolutionaries holding people hostage in Iran. (There is a Steve Jackson game based on the Iranian Hostage Crisis in 79-80. I own it. I need to play that poo poo badly.)

It should never forgive the evils done in war but it helps us to remember and maybe understand why. So we can make sure it never happens again.

I am still gonna paint my Flames of War Germans like the guys from Wolfenstein 3d though. I'll feel a bit better about it. Now where to find a 15mm scale BJ Blascowitz and Mecha Hitler so I can do FLAMES OF WAR CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN.

One of the things I've found playing games does is let me appreciate things properly with the right kind of mechanical motivation. Getting bogged down in infantry warfare across the Turkish/Iranian border in HOI 4 suddenly made me click why WW1 was impossible to win without throwing loads of people into a meatgrinder, and the realisation that I could grab loads of resource-rich territory for essentially free if I just invaded loads of primitive planets in Stellaris was an abrupt lesson in the logic of colonialism.

That said, yeah, I feel you on distancing mechanisms. I want to do some 1946 pulp nazis too, and I'm kind of into the fact Team Yankee is about a conflict that never happened so I can enjoy my war-crime free tank exploding board game.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Captain Rufus posted:

No doubt someone has made up 3d printable models for this.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I know there's someone who sells 15mm power armour figures, but I can't for the life of me remember who.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

spectralent posted:

I know there's someone who sells 15mm power armour figures, but I can't for the life of me remember who.

Probably Khurasan. They got a pile of 15mm scifi.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A recent Miniature Wargames with Battlegames had a thing on pre-Konflict 47 release miniature hoarding to plug gaps in the line that mentioned stuff like that. I'm prety shure Khurasan had decently thematic power armour for the various nations in 15mm.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
Eureka has some too

http://eurekamin.com.au/index.php?cPath=87_102_107&sort=3a

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

White Dragon does as well, but probably a little high tech for Konflikt '47

http://www.whitedragonminiatures.co.uk/category-s/107.htm

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

muggins posted:

Can you imagine playing benghazi at an historical con with grogs

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Hmm this Peter Panzeri fellow seems like he might be related to Pete PanzerI

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
"Will anyone attempt a rescue"

Heh.. Heh

:911:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Anyone know a good source for 28mm shield transfers or decals for the Kingdom of Jerusalem?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arquinsiel posted:

A recent Miniature Wargames with Battlegames had a thing on pre-Konflict 47 release miniature hoarding to plug gaps in the line that mentioned stuff like that. I'm prety shure Khurasan had decently thematic power armour for the various nations in 15mm.
I was mistaken! It was Wargames Illustrated and they were
Clockwork Goblin miniatures. They're pretty sweet looking.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Arquinsiel posted:

I was mistaken! It was Wargames Illustrated and they were
Clockwork Goblin miniatures. They're pretty sweet looking.

Konflikt looks cool.

So with that, I could take a regular Bolt Action unit, throw some weird stuff in and use them to play K47?

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

goodness posted:

Konflikt looks cool.

So with that, I could take a regular Bolt Action unit, throw some weird stuff in and use them to play K47?

yes, that is exactly the selling point of konflikt 47 - use your bolt action collection, add a walker or some zombies and start playing. it's a very good idea. As a new player I find the buy in very cheap - you can get a starter set for $120au including rulebook, pin markers and dice.

The setting is very good and not too far fetched.

example unit:

wehrmacht heavy infantry squad (powered armour mans)

100pts veteran
1nco and 4 men
assault rifles

add up to 3 extra men for 20pts each
equip up to 2 with lmgs (someone else becomes a loader) +10 each
equip up to 2 panzerfausts for 5 pts each

special rules
large infantry (takes 2 spaces on transports)
resilient (dv 6+ when shot at)
slow (move 4" run 8")

xutech fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Nov 8, 2016

JcDent
May 13, 2013

goodness posted:

"Will anyone attempt a rescue"

Heh.. Heh

:911:

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Fuckkkkk, My heart

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I know I need a mask and ventilation for sanding resin, but is one of those plain white dust masks okay or do I need one of those complicated gas mask things with filters?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Was it someone in here that was looking for post-apocalyptic figures?

My favorite MDF terrain manufacturer just released a couple of neat things that could work (in varying scales):

Billboards
Vending machines
Run down convenience stores
Family Dining

I posted the 28mm stuff, but most of that's available in other scales, too.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

spectralent posted:

I know I need a mask and ventilation for sanding resin, but is one of those plain white dust masks okay or do I need one of those complicated gas mask things with filters?

how much are you going to do and how much do you value your lungs?
A mask with removable filter is a good investment overall and not that expensive. But if you're willing to go cheap on your lungs get a box of ten white dust masks and risk it.

Are your lungs worth $40 of preventative?

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Kommando posted:

how much are you going to do and how much do you value your lungs?
A mask with removable filter is a good investment overall and not that expensive. But if you're willing to go cheap on your lungs get a box of ten white dust masks and risk it.

Are your lungs worth $40 of preventative?

I mean, obviously yes, it was an actual question. I didn't know what kind of grade of dust was being talked about.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Thing makin' question: I'd like to do tarps/canvas/flags for a vehicle. What is the best way to go about this? Google seems to suggest using PVA+water on tissue paper, using painted foil, or using thin Miliput/Sclupey. Would that be the general consensus from you guys too?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Depending on scale and what exactly you want to do bandage soaked in PVA glue is actually pretty great for it.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

ExtraNoise posted:

Thing makin' question: I'd like to do tarps/canvas/flags for a vehicle. What is the best way to go about this? Google seems to suggest using PVA+water on tissue paper, using painted foil, or using thin Miliput/Sclupey. Would that be the general consensus from you guys too?

I saw a tutorial a while back but I can't find it again. Essentially, this guy tried a bunch of different materials and rated them accordingly.

His results were that tissue paper is way too fragile and hard to work with (tearing/peeling when wet and gluey) and that other paper materials just didn't work well. Stuff like miliput/greenstuff required too much work to get good results, and painted foil had a whole mess of paint-adhesion issues/fragility, etc.

Ultimately, he found that the best material was old t-shirt material cut to shape and then doused in watered down PVA. The fabric scales right for rough canvas, is easy to work with while it glues (no tearing like tissue), and is really durable. After drying it paints well and can even produce some nice canvas-like texture through dry-brushing.

I haven't tried it myself, but it looked really really good.

Enentol fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 9, 2016

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, regarding Boshin War Chat, I think you can easily represent the Joshigun in Ronin by just taking Samurai without armour and with Naginatas. As for Yaeko Yamamoto, I found the points calculator for Ronin on Osprey's website, and I did some work. Behold!

I built off the Soldier statline, since that was the only one with a rifle and the calculator didn't give a point cost. I gave her the additional attributes to represent her leading raids on the enemy camp - let me know if it's too OP.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Nice.

I must say that I'm far from an expert on the Boshin War uniforms, but Perry just said they'll release a variant on the Union box, with more skirmish poses. Might look better than the first box if you want smaller units.

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_62&products_id=3553&osCsid=6qpv0oqr3m2puiajaju28aj361

I also checked with my old club, where I left a bunch of Japanese houses a couple of years ago. Turns out they say they're still there! Now I just need to get over there and pick them up.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The TG SS is up, earlier sign ups and cut off date than previous years. Send/receive the gift of the correct green for a Panzergrenadier uniform in 1944

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796690

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I have an odd question:
is Sharp Practice 1 miniature = 1 actual dudeman?