Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
He's actually a con artist using pulleys and a highly trained dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

davidspackage posted:

He's actually a con artist using pulleys and a highly trained dog.

God, finally someone saw what I saw while watching this. I thought I was going crazy.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
As a Dane i was really happy to hear that Mads Mikkelsen managed to lose the thick Danish accent.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I give it 3/5. The ending was pretty interesting and a pretty unique way to do away with a bad guy, but it also felt like a really by-the-numbers Marvel movie.

Dumb stuff:

Chewatal Okarfuror just quits the cult for no reason
Basically no backstory for any of the secondary characters except "he's mad because he's bad"
Too much Chinese market pandering (this will probably only get worse)
Wait so they attacked the New York cult club, but nothing happened except some random bald black dude died and suddenly it's not worth poo poo anymore?
Just expecting audiences to accept that this is the way things work because it's a superhero movie and you should expect all of this stuff to happen
I know it was meant to be as such but the weird reality-bending New York action looked cool but was entirely without emotion because it was so drat blurry and frantic

The effects were pretty good I guess

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Teikanmi posted:

I give it 3/5. The ending was pretty interesting and a pretty unique way to do away with a bad guy, but it also felt like a really by-the-numbers Marvel movie.

Dumb stuff:

Chewatal Okarfuror just quits the cult for no reason
Basically no backstory for any of the secondary characters except "he's mad because he's bad"
Too much Chinese market pandering (this will probably only get worse)
Wait so they attacked the New York cult club, but nothing happened except some random bald black dude died and suddenly it's not worth poo poo anymore?
Just expecting audiences to accept that this is the way things work because it's a superhero movie and you should expect all of this stuff to happen
I know it was meant to be as such but the weird reality-bending New York action looked cool but was entirely without emotion because it was so drat blurry and frantic

The effects were pretty good I guess

All of these questions were answered in the film though..

They make it clear tha the Ancient One basically collects broken people and helps them heal themselves. They specifically say that Mad's character was like Strange, but he lost his entire family hence his abhorrence of death. Mordo was a either a war criminal or some tin pot dictator some where and went to the Ancient one to find a way to kill his enemies, but he bought into the entire Goodness of the Ancient One, his views were shattered when he realized that the Ancient One was using dark energy to heal herself.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Variety posted:

This time it’s Stephen Strange’s turn to dominate the multiplexes, after “Doctor Strange,” the first big-screen appearance for the Master of the Mystic Arts, notched a first place finish with a $85 million debut.

"Doctor Strange’s” opening trumps those of “Thor” ($65.7 million), “Captain America: The First Avenger” ($65 million) and “Ant-Man” ($57.2 million). That’s impressive given that Captain America and Thor are better known figures. Still the good doctor couldn’t quite reach the stratospheric likes of “Iron Man” ($98.6 million), “Captain America: Civil War” ($179.1 million) or “Marvel’s The Avengers” ($207.4 million). Those films benefited from having Robert Downey Jr. and featuring bands of superheroes. “Doctor Strange” wasn’t cheap to make. Disney and Marvel spent $165 million to give the Sorcerer Supreme the celluloid treatment.

Globally, the film is a monster, having earned $240.4 million since it began rolling out overseas last week. That includes a $44.3 million debut in China, with Korea ($30.4 million), the United Kingdom ($18.9 million), and Russia ($15.4 million) among the top-performing territories.

Source: http://variety.com/2016/film/news/doctor-strange-box-office-marvel-1201911087/

It looks like this film will be successful in earning back its budget at the very least - I'm surprised it outperformed the first Captain America and Thor! I hope the success of this film encourages Marvel to go weirder and more "out there" with their films moving forward

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I really liked how most of Strange's gestures were chiral motions, because that obviously has the whole Chakras thing going on but also serves as an excellent visual metaphor for what he's actually doing when he casts spells, which is video editing.

He's scrubbing through space-time.

(that or abusing savestates, not sure which metaphor is funnier.)

DORMAMMU, I'VE COME TO (SNES9X)

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I really liked the film. All of the main cast was great (save Mads, but he worked with what he had), visuals were awesome. The only thing I didn't like was that Dormammu had a more realistic human face instead of the ill defined flaming head but that's a matter of personal preference.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

hiddenriverninja posted:

I really liked the film. All of the main cast was great (save Mads, but he worked with what he had), visuals were awesome. The only thing I didn't like was that Dormammu had a more realistic human face instead of the ill defined flaming head but that's a matter of personal preference.

Dormammu looked like a mix between Andross from Star Fox and a skrull with the lines on his face. My guess is that they wanted to really differentiate him (visually) from Thanos

My hope is in future films he assumes more of his traditional form. They could probably handwave it away by having him assume whatever form he wants since he's the ruler of the Dark Dimension

Jonny_Rocket fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Nov 6, 2016

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Dormammu looked like a mix between Andross from Star Fox and a skrull with the lines on his face

Holy poo poo, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit

Jonny_Rocket posted:

Dormammu looked like a mix between Andross from Star Fox and a skrull with the lines on his face. My guess is that they wanted to really differentiate him (visually) from Thanos
I heard somewhere that Dormammu actually has a warped version of Strange's face, the logic being that Dormammu is in fact formless and mimicked Strange's face just to communicate.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The irony was I thought that he was Thanos when the Ancient One was reeling him through the multiverse.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Yeah, I saw the face and was like "wow that looks a lot like Thanos"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Kurzon posted:

I heard somewhere that Dormammu actually has a warped version of Strange's face, the logic being that Dormammu is in fact formless and mimicked Strange's face just to communicate.

Benedict Cumberbatch played them both!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

well why not posted:

Yeah, if you have wifi you probably know who Beyonce is. This is not a big deal or ever worth talking about further than mentioning that it's a weird joke.

The Beyonce joke is made funnier when Wong is listening to "Single Ladies" on his iPod when Strange uses his Sling ring to steal the library books.

MisterBibs posted:

One thing not mentioned that I really loved: Strange losing his poo poo having to kill someone.

That speech has definitely been reiterated in Marvel Comics. I think I even remember an Excalibur book where Rachel Summers, the Phoenix, has a choice to blow someone with offensive hyper-regeneration into a trillion particles across the universe to "kill" him, but remembers something Professor X said about using such cosmic power creatively, resulting her sealing the guy in a glass jar and sucking the air out, where his cells continually suffocate, die, and regenerate, leaving the guy in a state of permanent torpor. It's nice for something like that to finally show up in one of the MCU, so it's not just blowing up people with power blasts, but fighting creatively as well as humanely.

I'm disappointed to hear about the second after-credit sequence mostly I didn't see it and I actually like Benjamin Bratt's Pangborn and would've like to see more of him.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Codependent Poster posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch played them both!

That makes sense because Benedict Cumberbatch looks like Jim Henson human muppet brought to life.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Young Freud posted:

That speech has definitely been reiterated in Marvel Comics. I think I even remember an Excalibur book where Rachel Summers, the Phoenix, has a choice to blow someone with offensive hyper-regeneration into a trillion particles across the universe to "kill" him, but remembers something Professor X said about using such cosmic power creatively, resulting her sealing the guy in a glass jar and sucking the air out, where his cells continually suffocate, die, and regenerate, leaving the guy in a state of permanent torpor. It's nice for something like that to finally show up in one of the MCU, so it's not just blowing up people with power blasts, but fighting creatively as well as humanely.
That sounds... really immoral. :stare:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Josh Lyman posted:

Why kill when you can condemn someone to literal eternal torture.

Dr Strange was a good but not great movie but I'm burned on origin stories and the PR "this is totally not going to be another origin story" line. I swear if Spider-Man Homecoming opens with the spider bite I'm just gonna leave.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Well, the guy basically consumed a pub full of innocent patrons to get the power to fight Rachel toe-to-toe. It should also be noted the guy was basically a cyborg using reversed-engineered technology from the Air-Walker, a Power Cosmic level android herald of Galactus. She would probably would have to blow up most of England to disincorporate him enough to where he could never reconstruct himself, so she trapped him a giant butterfly jar so it could give time to Marvel's version of UNIT (or British version of SHIELD, which ever is which that appeared in Excalibur) can yank it out of him.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Young Freud posted:

I'm disappointed to hear about the second after-credit sequence mostly I didn't see it and I actually like Benjamin Bratt's Pangborn and would've like to see more of him.

Benjamin Bratt is just one of those actors I'm always pleased to see turn up in stuff. "Oh hey, I wasn't expecting him in this, that's cool."

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Benjamin Bratt is just one of those actors I'm always pleased to see turn up in stuff. "Oh hey, I wasn't expecting him in this, that's cool."
Except he was in the worst movie scene in history.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Jonas Albrecht posted:

It's going to be so rad when Thanos comes for the stones. RIP Vision.

Which I think should be happening soon He already has the physical gauntlet and I honestly am thinking Thor Ragnarok is going to set things into motion (Thor is MIA because he needed to research the Infinity Stones which is likely why he needs to find Odin who knows more) with Infinity War now only 18 months away.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kurzon posted:

During the drug drip I'm pretty sure Dormammu's form emerged from Strange's where you see the eye and face materialize so this was intentional.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Josh Lyman posted:

Goddamn, that's a toss-up? Catwoman or his death scene in Red Planet?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
I quite enjoyed this, and, interestingly, it did something no MCU movie has done to date...

It made me leave the theater humming the theme song from the movie.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Haha I just figured out why Strange has a very good mental image of the inside of a broom closet right by where his co-worker/ex-lover's work area is.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I quite enjoyed this, and, interestingly, it did something no MCU movie has done to date...

It made me leave the theater humming the theme song from the movie.

I LOVED the end credits song. The baroque setup was fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4uoNAFfvKg

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Film was legitimately very good, but held back from greatness by a bunch of last minute jokes. Sometimes it's okay to be a sincere DC type film guys! The only jokes that worked were the Strange stealing books from the library, "You don't know how to use that do you?", and the ongoing gag of Wong refusing to laugh at Strange's jokes until the end. The rest just seemed awkward and actively detracted from the film's serious moments. The ending was a nice, clever drift from the typical Superhero Showdown too. Strange just going gently caress it, kill me, in the long run you the dude who has no concept of time is going to run out of patience way before me.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Josh Lyman posted:

I've seen a rumor that his scene where he was playing basketball is an intentional reference to That Scene from Catwoman by the director. Obviously it wouldn't be shot the same way because even in a movie as mind-bending as this having that kind of camera work might drive audience members insane.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Saw this today and it's a lot of fun, but I do agree that they dropped A LOT of training/world building stuff into like 8 minutes. I know they show Strange having difficulty learning magic at first but in general it just felt like he was great at everything and picked up everything effortlessly after that particular trial the Ancient One puts him through. The entire endgame is awesome from the second the movie moves to Hong Kong and the action is great, but like they tell Strange outright that just having a photographic memory isn't enough to become a proficient sorcerer, except, it is.

HUGE waste of Mads Mikkelsen though, Marvel yet again gets a great actor for their villain, plays them up like they're no joke, then does nothing with them and has them destroyed so there's no chance of them developing any further. They need to like get a script doctor to JUST look at how their villains are written or something. Like the way Strange handles the big bad at the very end is creative and really cool, but we never see anything interesting out of these villains. Especially all the cosmic-esque kind of guys. Each one is just "I'm gonna do this thing that will very clearly result in all of existence being erased, but that's actually a good thing to do because of this reasoning I get like two lines to talk about before something explodes/I escape and don't show up again until the final showdown."

The infinite dimensions and stuff were cool but the action scenes with the twisty cityscapes were kind of whatever. Like it just felt like a transparent way to explain how these folks were flying around doing magical stuff all these years with it never being noticed in the MCU until now, and it made for a few really bad effects at a couple of points where Mads like, I mean it wasn't Blade II spotlight bad but there were a couple of points where it looked unfinished almost. Same to when they first land in Hong Kong, everything, even the bystanders are like a still background plate or something like that gif from Age of Ultron of the Hulk/Hulkbuster fight, but very very blatant in the movie itself. I mean I guess it's a testament to how great the movie looks in general but a couple of moments like that really did stand out.

Does anyone know if the Sanskrit seen in that book says anything or is it just cut an pasted mantra stuff? Is it taken from depictions of passages about Dormammu in the comics (the red flourishes look like a stylized depiction of how his face looks in the comics)?

LMAO at the second after credits scene though. So like this guy can just Suck a sorcerer's magic and ability to do magic out of them whenever and also he hates all sorcerers just from the Ancient One saving humanity often? Uh....

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Neo Rasa posted:

LMAO at the second after credits scene though. So like this guy can just Suck a sorcerer's magic and ability to do magic out of them whenever and also he hates all sorcerers just from the Ancient One saving humanity often? Uh....

Mordo felt betrayed, justifiably, by the Ancient One. To him, sorcerors should only bend the natural law, but never break it. The reveal that the Ancient One has been doing shady stuff for the sake of humanity/the multi verse shatters his belief system. He's like that guy that thinks that if you can't do it within the rules, then it shouldn't be done, regardless of the consequences.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

hiddenriverninja posted:

Mordo felt betrayed, justifiably, by the Ancient One. To him, sorcerors should only bend the natural law, but never break it. The reveal that the Ancient One has been doing shady stuff for the sake of humanity/the multi verse shatters his belief system. He's like that guy that thinks that if you can't do it within the rules, then it shouldn't be done, regardless of the consequences.

I understand the character, I just think that it's idiotic given what we learn in the movie. And the way it was written, basically anything interesting that would lead him to these conclusions happened off screen. So just in time for Dr. Strange 2 we'll have yet another villain whose entire purpose is a form of "kill everything just because I don't like it for some ill-thought out reason."

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

So like this guy can just Suck a sorcerer's magic and ability to do magic out of them whenever and also he hates all sorcerers just from the Ancient One saving humanity often? Uh....

He doesn't hate her because she saved humanity. He hates her because she broke the rules and used forbidden magic to stay alive. He thought it would bring worse things. Then he saw Strange use forbidden magic too, which caused him to snap and became a crazy person.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

nelson posted:

He doesn't hate her because she saved humanity. He hates her because she broke the rules and used forbidden magic to stay alive. He thought it would bring worse things. Then he saw Strange use forbidden magic too, which caused him to snap and became a crazy person.

Strange questioning things and having a reputation of someone not into following the rules is something Mordo finds respectable enough that it causes him to go to bat for letting Strange in to be trained in the first place. The character is all over the place.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Nov 7, 2016

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Neo Rasa posted:

Strange questioning things and having a reputation of someone not into following the rules is something Mordo finds respectable enough that it causes him to go to bat for letting Strange in to be trained in the first place. The character is all over the place.

The key thing is, the Ancient One breaking rules lead to the events of the movie, as it's how Mads figured out about the Dark Dimension in the first place. Likewise Strange just saying "gently caress it" to the space time continuum is going to have consequences down the road. It was legitmately needed to save Earth, but it's going to lead to another threat to Earth's existence.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
So I guess that thing that Strange threw at Kaecillius to tie him up?
Crimson Bands of Cyttorak

Other easter eggs here: http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/05/doctor-strange-easter-eggs-spoilers

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

NutritiousSnack posted:

The key thing is, the Ancient One breaking rules lead to the events of the movie, as it's how Mads figured out about the Dark Dimension in the first place. Likewise Strange just saying "gently caress it" to the space time continuum is going to have consequences down the road. It was legitmately needed to save Earth, but it's going to lead to another threat to Earth's existence.

It's not much a key, since Mordo broke off from the group (it doesn't get more "breaking the rules" than that) and also says he had to travel the world for months before coming to the conclusion that the best way to fix whatever damage the Ancient One and Mr. Doctor may have done is to kill every sorcerer on Earth. "Consequences down the road" has nothing to do with the current or any upcoming threats to Earth, but the inevitable toll messing around with stuff will have on one personally. The Ancient One tells us this outright before she dies, the bill catching up is that she reaches a time and place where there is zero possibility of her not dying. Even Mordo's examples of why messing with time is dangerous early in the movie have no effect on the Earth, just on whether or not Strange himself personally exists, dies, or where he could be trapped forever were he to tamper with time too much. Mordo is badly written.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The writers though "the bill always comes due" was a loving revelation and built the plot around that line.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Josh Lyman posted:

The writers though "the bill always comes due" was a loving revelation and built the plot around that line.
Sorcerers remind me of Captain Kirk. Yes, violating the prime directive may lead to bad things but we need to get past today first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Rough Lobster posted:

I've seen a rumor that his scene where he was playing basketball is an intentional reference to That Scene from Catwoman by the director. Obviously it wouldn't be shot the same way because even in a movie as mind-bending as this having that kind of camera work might drive audience members insane.

I feel like James Gunn is the only director with both the clout and balls to actually reshoot that scene shot for shot, Halle Berry included

• Locked thread