Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

sweeperbravo posted:

People have difficulty discerning "subtle" from "ambiguous." Maybe the thread ought to change titles to accept both since it's just gonna keep hapening anyway.

Maybe it should be vague, in a very subtle way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Maybe the posters

can't read

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In a super early season of It's Always Sunny Charlie gets a small tattoo on his forearm as a bit joke and even in season eleven it it still visible on his arm if you look carefully.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Len posted:

This is neither subtle or ambiguous though. The thread from day one is just "little things you liked about movies or TV"

the subtle thing is that he's named "Machete Phil" instead of the much apter "Machete Colleti"

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
In Bridget Jones's Baby, she sleeps with two men but is unsure which one is the father.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

MariusLecter posted:

In Bridget Jones's Baby, she sleeps with two men but is unsure which one is the father.

Jokes aside, there's ads for the film on the local buses here with the tagline, 'Men are like buses'

You wait ages then two cum at once

:o:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
In Frozen there's a guy called the Duke of Wesselton. Several times through the movie he has to correct people who keep calling his town Weaselton. "It's WESSEL-ton!"

In Zootopia Officer Hopps meets a weasel that she calls Wesselton. He corrects her and says "It's WEASEL-ton! Duke Weaselton!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Joey Freshwater posted:

In Frozen there's a guy called the Duke of Wesselton. Several times through the movie he has to correct people who keep calling his town Weaselton. "It's WESSEL-ton!"

In Zootopia Officer Hopps meets a weasel that she calls Wesselton. He corrects her and says "It's WEASEL-ton! Duke Weaselton!"

Also they're both voiced by Alan Tudyk.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Joey Freshwater posted:

This is a good one, even though I haven't seen either movie.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
Also in Zootopia, the chief says “Life isn’t a cartoon musical where all your dreams come true, so let it go.“

Waka waka

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Gejimayu posted:

Also in Zootopia, the chief says “Life isn’t a cartoon musical where all your dreams come true, so let it go.“

Waka waka

It also had a nice Breaking Bad reference for us adults who got dragged to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG9qQ74UHtM

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm watching Luther right now, and there was a great little moment in the second season where a character is gripping a dead man's switch to bargain with the police. Eventually he releases it, and for a second you can see the marks the ridges on the side of the switch left in his hand - because he'd been gripping it so hard. Very nice attention to detail especially considering that they could have given him, like, a smooth detonator switch.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

syscall girl posted:

It also had a nice Breaking Bad reference for us adults who got dragged to it.

Oh no, you had to see an award-winning film that wasn't explicitly for adults.

I'm glad you survived.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Zootopia was just poorly written. Like the shrew that was a crime boss was a blatant rip off of The Godfather. And when the sloth laughs at the joke it just takes soooooo long for it to happen, wasting a ton of time. But the worst was having people bring their kids to the movies who kept laughing at the, frankly, pretty juvenile humor and ruining the movie going experience for me.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Zootopia was just poorly written. Like the shrew that was a crime boss was a blatant rip off of The Godfather. And when the sloth laughs at the joke it just takes soooooo long for it to happen, wasting a ton of time. But the worst was having people bring their kids to the movies who kept laughing at the, frankly, pretty juvenile humor and ruining the movie going experience for me.

But at least the rabbit was kinda hot so it wasn't that bad

I didn't get to watch it all the way because the manager threw me and the rest of my pack out because the ears of our fursuits got in the way of the people behind us which is bullshit

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Screaming Idiot posted:

But at least the rabbit was kinda hot so it wasn't that bad

I didn't get to watch it all the way because the manager threw me and the rest of my pack out because the ears of our fursuits got in the way of the people behind us which is bullshit

I hope you sued them for discrimination.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Doctor Strange there's a scene where an assistant is reading off potential patients and one he refuses is Rhodey from his injury in Civil War just without saying his name.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The director denied that actually.

Rhodey is well over 35, and those early scenes are likely a decent amount of time before Civil War.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 01:21 on Nov 6, 2016

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Aphrodite posted:

The director denied that actually.

Yeah, my first thought was Rhodey but it seems that it was intended to be one of the Hammer guys from Iron Man 2.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
i want to gently caress the zootopia rabbit

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Unmature posted:

I hope you sued them for discrimination.

No but we crapped on his lawn and taped pictures of our fursonas on his windshield.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

The female leads in both Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow are named Rita. I figured there might be some deeper meaning to this so I did a quick google search on the name Rita and found in most cultures it means "Pearl" and in some instances "Child of Light". Or it's just short for Margherita.

But considering the male lead's name in Edge of Tomorrow is literally "Caged Will", I'm thinking they weren't really trying to be subtle about it and just gave Emily Blunt's character the name as an overt nod to Groundhog Day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rita is right from the comic or book or whatever it was, but Cruise's character's name was changed for the movie.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

God Hole posted:

The female leads in both Groundhog Day and Edge of Tomorrow are named Rita. I figured there might be some deeper meaning to this so I did a quick google search on the name Rita and found in most cultures it means "Pearl" and in some instances "Child of Light". Or it's just short for Margherita.

But considering the male lead's name in Edge of Tomorrow is literally "Caged Will", I'm thinking they weren't really trying to be subtle about it and just gave Emily Blunt's character the name as an overt nod to Groundhog Day.

That's a nice connection though, even if was unintentional

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

In the same vein as Inception, all the music in Edge of Tomorrow is actually just variations of the Pennsylvania Polka slowed down/modulated.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Trainspotting
When Tommy and Spud are shouting to each other in the bar over the music, it's subtitled so you can understand what they're saying. At one point Spud asks if Lizzy was upset about Tommy having a ticket to Iggy Pop on her birthday, and Tommy replies "Big time. Absolutely. loving right." but it's just subtitled "Very."

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I saw Dr. Strange. It was cool.

This isn't a spoiler for anything I promise... There's an establishing shot of Manhattan at night with the Avengers HQ edited in. It would have been really easy for the film makers to overlook.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

deoju posted:

This isn't a spoiler for anything I promise... There's an establishing shot of Manhattan at night with the Avengers HQ edited in. It would have been really easy for the film makers to overlook.

It was part of setting the tone that it starts after Avengers, before Winter Soldier.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Catching up with the thread, but I'm rewatching The Pacific since TMNGo uploaded it. At the end of the first episode the guys sing "Happy Birthday" for Philips. Some of them sing "Happy Birthday, dear Philips" while others sing "Happy Birthday, dear Philip (no s)"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Rewatching the original Kung Fu Panda with the sequels in mind is fairly interesting due to Oogway's behaviour, because he is a very similar person to Po, and being a Tortoise, probably had a similar arc - who would take a tortoise seriously as a warrior? His mannerisms are also very similar to Po, he is relaxed, informal, and is on Po's wavelength through out the movies. Hell, he even talks on Po's level at times, eg:

Po: "I probably sucked today harder than anyone in the history of Kung Fu. In the history of China... in the history of sucking!"
Oogway ":shrug:Probably"

Also love that a: In the credits sequence you get some foreshadowing of KFP3 with Po showing the villagers the dragon scroll and showing them some basic moves even before learning how to teach properly. The fact that each character interacts with the toy in a manner appropriate to how the characters interacted with Po is a cute touch. Also in the after credits sequence, the Peach Tree that Shifu and Oogway plant in his final moments has begun to sprout, symbolising the beginning of Po's journey.:3:

Also the move his does in the intro of KPF1 where he launches into the air anmd kicks a load of dudes is a stunt he actually does in the second movie with Tigress launching him into the air in the first battle.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Nov 13, 2016

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

In the Waterboy (hey, I've been in a hotel and the choices were limited) they do the usual winning montage once Sandler joins the team. But all the scores are like 5-0, 6-3 because he can't do anything about the offense.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

As I recall, one of those scores was 4-0, which could only be attained by scoring two safeties.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

In Westworld, there are two logos.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
Subtlety 3/5:

In Snatch, there's a flashback that shows how Bullet Tooth Tony got his name by surviving 6 shots. It's a fight in a strip club with Madonna's "Lucky Star" playing in the background.

A few minutes later, back in the present, Bullet Tooth Tony is dragging Mullet down the street with his head stuck in the window. He turns on the radio and hears "Lucky Star" playing, then turns to Vincent and says "Oooh, I love this track."

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

deoju posted:

They hosed this up in Jessica Jones. (or maybe Daredevil?) There's a scene where somebody is looking over the skyline with binoculars and you can clearly see the MetLife building, which in the movies doesn't exist and was replaced with Stark Tower. MY IMMERSION

:goonsay:

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

As I recall, one of those scores was 4-0, which could only be attained by scoring two safeties.

Yeah this was an amazing touch and being an NFL fan living in Ireland, I've watched this film 3-4 times with a total of about 10 different people and each time I laughed hard at those scores and everyone else was like "Wtf?". Definately subtle, and definately one of exactly two good films Adam Sandler was ever involved in (Happy Gilmore).

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

minato posted:

Subtlety 3/5:

In Snatch, there's a flashback that shows how Bullet Tooth Tony got his name by surviving 6 shots. It's a fight in a strip club with Madonna's "Lucky Star" playing in the background.

A few minutes later, back in the present, Bullet Tooth Tony is dragging Mullet down the street with his head stuck in the window. He turns on the radio and hears "Lucky Star" playing, then turns to Vincent and says "Oooh, I love this track."

:aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa::aaaaa:

Snatch is one of my all time favorite movies and I never caught that....

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I thought it was just a reference to Guy Ritchie being married to Madonna at the time.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
People always deride the Producers remake as being absolute poo poo and I disagree. While the format is somewhat off and not all the songs are winners I thought enough of it was funny enough that I enjoyed it despite the flaws. Personal favourite scenes are Unhappy and Betrayed! due to the interplay with Brodericks hopeful verses interspersed with the other accountants chant of "Unhappy.. Unhappy... very very very.. unhappy" that gives it a unique edge in the first song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU5S41DLYT4

Also I like the lyrics in the second
"Just like Julius Caesar, was betrayed by Brutus... Who'd think an accountant would turn out to be my Judas!?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYX3Ra9vbI
I also like the gag in this one with "That isn't my life... somebody else's life is flashing before my eyes..."

I know that these strengths were in the stage play first but they work in the movie as well IMO.

Also Along Came Bialy! is just a funny scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

BioEnchanted posted:

People always deride the Producers remake as being absolute poo poo and I disagree. While the format is somewhat off and not all the songs are winners I thought enough of it was funny enough that I enjoyed it despite the flaws. Personal favourite scenes are Unhappy and Betrayed! due to the interplay with Brodericks hopeful verses interspersed with the other accountants chant of "Unhappy.. Unhappy... very very very.. unhappy" that gives it a unique edge in the first song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU5S41DLYT4

Also I like the lyrics in the second
"Just like Julius Caesar, was betrayed by Brutus... Who'd think an accountant would turn out to be my Judas!?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yYX3Ra9vbI
I also like the gag in this one with "That isn't my life... somebody else's life is flashing before my eyes..."

I know that these strengths were in the stage play first but they work in the movie as well IMO.

Also Along Came Bialy! is just a funny scene.

Love your new av text.