Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

sethsez posted:

people laughed at a good idea a while ago, therefore all ideas people laugh at must be good ones

this but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Linguica posted:

ok but USB 1.1 was just USB 1.1. It Just Worked

USB-C / thunderbolt 3 is a big mess of incompatibilities and semi-compatibilities

oh no no you want to plug this one into the LEFT side, the RIGHT side is slower for some reason

no you can't use this thunderbolt 3 -> thunderbolt 2 adapter to drive your mini-displayport monitor, you need a usb-c -> displayport adapter, there's a big difference

no you can't use a thunderbolt monitor with this macbook, it's just usb-c not thunderbolt, and no it's not slower than it should be, it only supports usb 3.1 gen 1, not usb 3.1 gen 2

no you can't use this usb-c cable to move files from one macbook to another, the usb-c cable that comes with your macbook doesn't support target disk mode

no you can't use your brand new usb-c external drive along with your usb-c -> hdmi dongle, the usb-c port on that dongle is only for power, not data

no you can't use this thunderbolt 3 hub with your new mbp, it uses version 1 of this texas instruments chipset and apple only decided to support version 2

no y... wait, what are you doing with that hammer...

atomicthumbs posted:

It's not like Apple's ever been about making a computer that's easy for people to use

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

when are we going to get usb-c mouse/keyboard? seems like usb c adoption wont take off till we have everything available in usb c and there just doesn't seem any reason to switch to usb c mouse/keyboard

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Encrypted posted:

when are we going to get usb-c mouse/keyboard? seems like usb c adoption wont take off till we have everything available in usb c and there just doesn't seem any reason to switch to usb c mouse/keyboard

apples got your answer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
remember when apple had a product that nicely sidestepped all of these issues by being a high-quality display with a built in dock that eliminated the need for all this bullshit?

man, it's a good thing they didn't take that one out back and shoot it, huh?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

apple's problem is that they don't really believe in usb-c. they don't provide any usb-c peripherals, only adapters to other ports. at least when they ditched everything but usb you could actually use an apple computer with only usb peripherals by purchasing directly from apple. you can't do that with usb-c

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

im not gonna buy a computer anytime soon but at $9 i think ill snap one of these guys just in case

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
idgi why these dongles are so ugly and huge. they could literally be small and elegant but instead they're super long and look like they've been copy pasted from the same blueprint. the way these dongles look is awful

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Encrypted posted:

depends on your product category

some will probably go back to ps/2 before they go with usb-c

usb-c is also a somewhat "expensive" port on hubs et al with only a few available, so keyboard-mouse being usb-a works pretty well as-is atm; not like you need the throughput

poty
Jun 21, 2008

keyboards and mice should be bluetooth ffs its almost 2017

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
does usb-c carry enough current to be a fire hazard?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

poty posted:

model m's are ps2

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

poty posted:

you're right, my basic input peripherals don't cause enough 2.4ghz radio noise and lag.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

apple's problem is that they don't really believe in usb-c. they don't provide any usb-c peripherals, only adapters to other ports. at least when they ditched everything but usb you could actually use an apple computer with only usb peripherals by purchasing directly from apple. you can't do that with usb-c

why would apple make a product you can't use with any of their desktop computers??

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

does apple make a dongle that goes the other way?

useful port -> usb-c??

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

blugu64 posted:

it also had three headphone ports

and an extremely cowardly cathode ray tube

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

poty posted:

is there a good solar bluetooth keyboard out there so i dont have to deal with more batteries?

also which bluetooth dongle would you recommend to connect to the wireless keyboard hey wait a minute we are back to more dongles

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The 2016 Macbook Pro

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
RIP the best USB joke:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfHzzy6T9to

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

so speaking of usb and such

is there any loving reason why apple's keyboards and mice use goddamn lightning instead of USB-C

really what the gently caress is that all about

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
how is Apple actually split internally, is there an accessory engineering department?

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

SO DEMANDING posted:

so speaking of usb and such

is there any loving reason why apple's keyboards and mice use goddamn lightning instead of USB-C

really what the gently caress is that all about

USB C is for bilateral data transfer lightning is for unilateral. that's why the iPhone will always be lightning. they don't want you to upload anything

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
the lightning connector is physically smaller than USB-C.

plus, right now, people tend to have a couple lightning cables lying around. not so for USB-C yet.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

atomicthumbs posted:

The 2016 Macbook Pro

no see tam had a real speakers too, albeit bose, and a bunch of real ports/expansion slots with the wart you could put on the back.

it also had a real PowerPC processor, not one of these legacy x86 poo poo apple puts in their poo poo now.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
bose is mostly good thanks

QC headphones = prozone
Accoustimass sub>speaker cube sets = prozone for applications that call for them

i have their big bluetooth speaker too, its quite ok for what it is, but prolly could have sufficed with cheaper from alt brand and had a more bangin bro experience, the bose one is good for bedside poo poo tho which is where it lives for me

gotta say out of everything the quietcomfort 35 headphones are just the best piece of kit i have at any price from any brand right now, hands down

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Encrypted posted:

is there a good solar bluetooth keyboard out there so i dont have to deal with more batteries?

also which bluetooth dongle would you recommend to connect to the wireless keyboard hey wait a minute we are back to more dongles

macbooks unlike pcs have bluetooth that works

i have this one and its good http://amzn.to/2fQ1T2K

same thing with more useless keys because people itt get butthurt when there arent enough of those http://amzn.to/2foprbH

poty fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 6, 2016

poty
Jun 21, 2008

Sniep posted:

bose is mostly good thanks

QC headphones = prozone
Accoustimass sub>speaker cube sets = prozone for applications that call for them

i have their big bluetooth speaker too, its quite ok for what it is, but prolly could have sufficed with cheaper from alt brand and had a more bangin bro experience, the bose one is good for bedside poo poo tho which is where it lives for me

gotta say out of everything the quietcomfort 35 headphones are just the best piece of kit i have at any price from any brand right now, hands down

agreed and cant wait to get my hands on some qc 30s for running when the weathers warm again

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

qc35s are serious ownage, and they Just Work across all my apple devices

windows bluetooth support not so much

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
huge rage nerd computer repair guy is making a living off really angry anti-apple youtube videos

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maximum Leader posted:

huge rage nerd computer repair guy is making a living off really angry anti-apple youtube videos

is he also a trump supporter or is that just people who make angry skyrim videos

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qirex posted:

because many of you are actual children I'll just share that this is p much exactly the response when apple released the imac with only usb 20 years ago

the imac had lots of useful ports, though. they just removed serial/parallel. all the other normal ports were still there.

meanwhile, in 2016, apple is selling a $4,000 laptop with four usb ports and a 3.5mm jack. (i guess we should be grateful they lacked the courage to remove the 3.5mm jack.)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

meanwhile, in 2016, apple is selling a $4,000 laptop with four usb ports and a 3.5mm jack. (i guess we should be grateful they lacked the courage to remove the 3.5mm jack.)

they aren't even real usb ports. they are whacko usb-c ports that nothing uses

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

they should at least give you 4 free usb-c -> usb-a adapters in the god drat box considering you're dropping 4 grand on a laptop, they at least gave iphone 7 users a free 3.5 mm adapter

but when they don't even give you the extension cord for the power adapter without shelling out $19 now, lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

mishaq posted:

but when they don't even give you the extension cord for the power adapter without shelling out $19 now, lol

oh god they got rid of that too? I use mine all the time.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hey guys, remember back in the iphone 6 days when we pointed out apple was pivoting into accessory sales as a core part of their business?

how's that going?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

akadajet posted:

they aren't even real usb ports. they are whacko usb-c ports that nothing uses
every new phone that isn't an iphone uses usb-c. it's easier to plug a competing product into the new macs than something apple makes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

im gonna buy a surface book caus apple killed the mac, rip

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

triple sulk posted:

im gonna buy a surface book caus apple killed the mac, rip

buy a refurb 2015 macbook pro w/ applecare

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

butt dickus posted:

every new phone that isn't an iphone uses usb-c. it's easier to plug a competing product into the new macs than something apple makes

do they all come with USB-c to USB-c cables?

• Locked thread