Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Who the gently caress is going to be persuaded by this? Like sure, trump sucks, but is anyone going to vote because a pathfinder writer told them to?

Knowing who the people behind Pathfinder support is a good way to know who you are voting for. *said whilst buying and donning a MAGA hat*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
As of this post both Jason Bulmahn and Mike Mearls have signed as well

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

dwarf74 posted:

Holy poo poo, there's game industry folks signing from all over. Right now I love my hobby.

I think this is really the best case. That we all get to be reminded that no matter how dumb this is, it comes from a good place and is attracting people to commit to something better than the alternative. It's a nice little change of pace from "hobby is a garbage fire made of garbage fires".

EDIT: Well, that devolved quickly. Maybe not good people, but people doing a single good thing. Like, this doesn't make someone a saint or anything. Just better than the usual.

The Lore Bear fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Nov 6, 2016

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

As of this post both Jason Bulmahn and Mike Mearls have signed as well

Yeah see, this is exactly what I mean. Oh word, Mike Mearls is against Trump? What a totally bold and controversial stance to take, I'm super impressed by that daring act of moral courage. Hey Mike, so does this mean you're gonna address the fact that you reached out to and courted Zak S and The RPG Pundit as consultants for D&D 5E? You know, the serial harasser and the guy who likes writing articles about the secret homofascist agenda of Blue Rose and the evils of feminism? No? Okay.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I mean I'm pretty sure Tarnowski and Zak aren't going to be in on this.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

gradenko_2000 posted:

I mean I'm pretty sure Tarnowski and Zak aren't going to be in on this.

Sure, but the point is that someone like Mearls or Shanna Germain signing their name to some insipid open letter saying they're against Donald Trump isn't something to start feeling all warm and fuzzy about "my hobby" over. Who gives a poo poo? Saying you're against Trump isn't that impressive, it's not a bold and courageous stance to take to say you're against the almost-assuredly literal rapist, racist, and burgeoning fascist presidential candidate. You know what would impress me more? If the people in "my hobby" responsible for enabling and perpetuating lovely behavior like courting harassers and bigots or using racial slurs as cutesy future slang in their games would do something about that instead, maybe issue an apology rather than some non-apologetic "well that's just a term we use in our game where racism doesn't exist," instead of signing off on some token bullshit about how Hillary is your cool D&D playing aunt but that mean ol' Trump is a Hanzo main who cheats at Magic or whatever the gently caress. But I guess that would require the almost unimaginable sacrifice of admitting that maybe they were in the wrong, so instead we'll get a self-congratulatory token gesture before they go right back to business as usual.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Wow, yay, some people whose things we've bought gave a handjob to the blindingly corrupt money-grubbing candidate over the bugfuck crazy grandpa candidate. I feel hope and joy and love, let's all join arms and sing kumbaya together.

I could not begin to give a poo poo about the political opinions of a boardgame developer. Anyone who would withhold the purchase of a game because someone responsible for it is a democrat/republican/communist/whatever entirely legal political opinion to have is a loving cretin. If a person responsible for a game is an actual criminal who has scammed/raped/murdered/etc. people, then I can get behind shunning them, but a person is free to hold whatever opinion they like, even if I think it's a retarded one.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Valatar posted:

I could not begin to give a poo poo about the political opinions of a boardgame developer. Anyone who would withhold the purchase of a game because someone responsible for it is a democrat/republican/communist/whatever entirely legal political opinion to have is a loving cretin.

I mean if someone comes right out and says "boy that Donald J. Trump, he sure does have some great ideas" I'm probably going to form an immediate and indelible opinion of them that may in fact influence whether or not I decide to pay them money for goods and services, sorry. I'm only human, and when someone says they think that a racist, rapist fascist megalomaniac is a cool dude that deserves to be in charge of the country I'm going to assume that this is probably representative of their opinions and beliefs when it comes to matters beyond the presidential election, and insofar as there's no ethical consumption under capitalism I still choose to give my disposable income to people who are at least capable of keeping their lovely opinions under wraps instead of flying them like a flag for all to see.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

I mean if someone comes right out and says "boy that Donald J. Trump, he sure does have some great ideas" I'm probably going to form an immediate and indelible opinion of them that may in fact influence whether or not I decide to pay them money for goods and services, sorry. I'm only human, and when someone says they think that a racist, rapist fascist megalomaniac is a cool dude that deserves to be in charge of the country I'm going to assume that this is probably representative of their opinions and beliefs when it comes to matters beyond the presidential election, and insofar as there's no ethical consumption under capitalism I still choose to give my disposable income to people who are at least capable of keeping their lovely opinions under wraps instead of flying them like a flag for all to see.

Well yes, no smart businessperson would go and emblazon their opinions all over the internet in the first place, that's true. But if I'm going to boycott a company, it's going to be over something the company actually did instead of an opinion a person at the company holds. I don't shop Wal-Mart because they treat their employees like poo poo and intentionally destroy local business. I don't buy Nike shoes because they intentionally lied about the living quality of their workers. I try not to buy any clothes made from slave labor, though that's a bitch to actually accomplish. If a company does something that I consider shady or just generally lovely, I'll go out of my way to avoid supporting them. But making a statement about a political candidate isn't going to buy my support, nor is it going to get me to avoid them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Or, possibly, these are people who know they have an audience trying to encourage that audience to not vote for the bad guy, rather than a 100% cynical attempt to claim credit for being on the cool good guys side? I dunno man, maybe nobody is convinced by a candidate endorsement, but maybe these folks think there's a chance that a nonzero number of their fans could be, and so it's worthwhile to show some pan-industry solidarity and make a public endorsement.

There's plenty of lovely opinions and behaviors to get all up in arms about. This particular thing is, at worst, harmless pandering, but you don't need to just assume the worst possible motivations.

A lot of people are genuinely scared of what might happen on Tuesday, it's not out of the question that some of them are just trying to do what is in their power to do. Even some people who have some lovely opinions otherwise, or track records of poor behavior.

e. mostly directed this at kai tave, but intended more generally as well.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 6, 2016

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Let's not forget that a few weeks ago individuals were paying hundreds of dollars each for Monte Cook Presents: a weird box of crap.

There's more hero worship than critical thinking in this hobby.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Leperflesh posted:

Or, possibly, these are people who know they have an audience trying to encourage that audience to not vote for the bad guy, rather than a 100% cynical attempt to claim credit for being on the cool good guys side? I dunno man, maybe nobody is convinced by a candidate endorsement, but maybe these folks think there's a chance that a nonzero number of their fans could be, and so it's worthwhile to show some pan-industry solidarity and make a public endorsement.

There's plenty of lovely opinions and behaviors to get all up in arms about. This particular thing is, at worst, harmless pandering, but you don't need to just assume the worst possible motivations.

A lot of people are genuinely scared of what might happen on Tuesday, it's not out of the question that some of them are just trying to do what is in their power to do. Even some people who have some lovely opinions otherwise, or track records of poor behavior.

e. mostly directed this at kai tave, but intended more generally as well.

My argument is less that it's cynically manipulative so much as hypocritical, is the thing. Before someone tries to suggest I'm putting Mearls on an equal pedestal with Trump I'm not, I'm aware that one is vastly worse than the other, but I suppose I'm not impressed the people who've been handed the opportunity to make the hobby they claim to love less of a lovely place complete with instances of casual bigotry and harassment...you know, those things that the Trump candidacy and its supporters are emblematic of and in many ways a consequence of...and instead brushed it off with weak-tea excuses and general apathy are now turning around and making what I view, perhaps in my own cynicism, as an extremely low effort token gesture.

This isn't to lump every other signatory in with Mearls and Germain and whoever else on that list happens to have been some kind of dickhead either, I'm aware that not everyone in the hobby is the sort of person to think that "beaners" is a cute thing to name your sci-fi fantasy subculture, but nonetheless I stand by my assertion that I'd be vastly more impressed by some sort of concerted effort by the game creators of the world to be more mindful about this sort of lovely behavior outside of something that happens once every four years.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

My argument is less that it's cynically manipulative so much as hypocritical, is the thing. Before someone tries to suggest I'm putting Mearls on an equal pedestal with Trump I'm not, I'm aware that one is vastly worse than the other, but I suppose I'm not impressed the people who've been handed the opportunity to make the hobby they claim to love less of a lovely place complete with instances of casual bigotry and harassment...you know, those things that the Trump candidacy and its supporters are emblematic of and in many ways a consequence of...and instead brushed it off with weak-tea excuses and general apathy are now turning around and making what I view, perhaps in my own cynicism, as an extremely low effort token gesture.

This isn't to lump every other signatory in with Mearls and Germain and whoever else on that list happens to have been some kind of dickhead either, I'm aware that not everyone in the hobby is the sort of person to think that "beaners" is a cute thing to name your sci-fi fantasy subculture, but nonetheless I stand by my assertion that I'd be vastly more impressed by some sort of concerted effort by the game creators of the world to be more mindful about this sort of lovely behavior outside of something that happens once every four years.
I dunno, I think it's nice when people do nice things. I don't want to go and yell at them for not doing more nice things because of it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Jennell Jaquays signed it. I think Kai Tave has a point, and I'm still not ever going to spend one red cent on Numenera nor D&D 5e, but that made me smile.

Serf
May 5, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

I dunno, I think it's nice when people do nice things. I don't want to go and yell at them for not doing more nice things because of it.

Have any of these concerns been addressed directly to the signees? If not, I don't think anyone is yelling at anyone.

Also, that letter was some pathetic, cringeworthy poo poo. Signing it is an empty gesture. The fact that Mearls signed it is all you need to know on that front.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
[Extremely Democrat voice]: I may not be... the Tarrasque! But I'm still... immune to Donald Trump's attacks!

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Serf posted:

Have any of these concerns been addressed directly to the signees? If not, I don't think anyone is yelling at anyone.

Also, that letter was some pathetic, cringeworthy poo poo. Signing it is an empty gesture. The fact that Mearls signed it is all you need to know on that front.
You don't think someone in the gaming industry could suffer any consequences or receive any harassment or threats for signing a letter that says, "Vote for Clinton, Trump is a big baby"? I thought an overarching theme of this thread was "This hobby is full of regressive, lovely people who harass others" :)

Hell, juding by the past few posts, it seems like they're getting extra criticism for putting even a token gesture out there. So now they'll get poo poo on by alt-right morons and people who scoff at putting themselves out there even a little bit. :v:

Serf
May 5, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

You don't think someone in the gaming industry could suffer any consequences or receive any harassment or threats for signing a letter that says, "Vote for Clinton, Trump is a big baby"? I thought an overarching theme of this thread was "This hobby is full of regressive, lovely people who harass others" :)

Hell, juding by the past few posts, it seems like they're getting extra criticism for putting even a token gesture out there. So now they'll get poo poo on by alt-right morons and people who scoff at putting themselves out there even a little bit. :v:

I was responding to this:

dwarf74 posted:

Which appears to be you indicating that people who largely agree with the signing of this letter will berate the signees for taking only a token action. Whereas now you're talking about alt-rightists, which were not the subject of the post I was responding to. They will undoubtedly get blowback from alt-rightists, but you get that for a wide variety of things these days. That sucks, and I hope they get through it. But so far I haven't seen any evidence of people excoriating the signees directly because they aren't doing enough. That is a point that seems largely confined to this thread and I doubt it will ever leave it because it seems that largely the points that get discussed here do not get brought up elsewhere.

I have no intention of taking my concerns to the people in question. I could spend my time more productively arguing with a stop sign.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
I have here a letter from Greg Stolze, who says that when and only when I can remove and capture Gary Johnson's knowledge of geography as a concept, then will he reveal the true secret essence of democracy.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

grassy gnoll posted:

I have here a letter from Greg Stolze, who says that when and only when I can remove and capture Gary Johnson's knowledge of geography as a concept, then will he reveal the true secret essence of democracy.

Sadly I think somebody else did that long ago.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
He could be a geographic adept. Reaching the presidency on the back of his apparent ignorance of global politics could grant him a major charge, allowing him to make Aleppo the new Atlantis, or make the Earth properly flat again.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Jennell Jaquays signed it. I think Kai Tave has a point, and I'm still not ever going to spend one red cent on Numenera nor D&D 5e, but that made me smile.

I'm really glad she's still around. I can't imagine the poo poo she got over the years. She spoke up for the trans character in that Baldur's Gate expansion too.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
Bernie Sanders would've made a much better GM, I'm sick of candidates only interested in d20 :mad:

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Bedlamdan posted:

Bernie Sanders would've made a much better GM, I'm sick of candidates only interested in d20 :mad:

Drama System is good for a session or two but I wouldn't want an entire campaign of it.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I think it's a nice gesture. It doesn't amount to much more than a gesture, and it's a little cringey, but I can still appreciate it. Doesn't mean that the ones who've been lovely have suddenly turned over a new leaf. Mike Mearls's support of Zak remains indefensible. I don't intend to forgive him that anytime soon. But I can at least appreciate a gesture of solidarity in the face of someone even shittier.

Like, if they all got together and raised money for a good charity, I could still say, "Yeah, that's pretty nice," without saying "Mike Mearls is a saint."

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Peas and Rice posted:

Drama System is good for a session or two but I wouldn't want an entire campaign of it.

Instead of rehashing the same dungeon crawls, we could be playing stuff like Ryuutama.

JackMann posted:

I think it's a nice gesture. It doesn't amount to much more than a gesture, and it's a little cringey, but I can still appreciate it. Doesn't mean that the ones who've been lovely have suddenly turned over a new leaf. Mike Mearls's support of Zak remains indefensible. I don't intend to forgive him that anytime soon. But I can at least appreciate a gesture of solidarity in the face of someone even shittier.

Like, if they all got together and raised money for a good charity, I could still say, "Yeah, that's pretty nice," without saying "Mike Mearls is a saint."

As for me, I just want this stupid loving election cycle to end.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Assuming people don't turn into total assholes and try to overthrow the government, two more days.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

dwarf74 posted:

Some of whom have signed their name to this letter.

Have any of those regressive, lovely people apologized for their regressive, lovely behavior lately? No? Then I know exactly how much such things actually concern them, and I'm not impressed by a token gesture on their part which claims otherwise while they continue to abdicate personal responsibility. I do not actually consider "don't vote for the literal rapist" to be all that hot or courageous a stance compared to delivering a sincere and genuine apology for bad behavior which it seems most people in "my hobby" are physiologically incapable of.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Valatar posted:

Wow, yay, some people whose things we've bought gave a handjob to the blindingly corrupt money-grubbing candidate over the bugfuck crazy grandpa candidate. I feel hope and joy and love, let's all join arms and sing kumbaya together.

Okay, I have to say this- Hilary Clinton has been under investigation for about a quarter of a century now. She has yet to be indicted once.

She's either not "blindingly corrupt" or she's a loving criminal genius.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Maxwell Lord posted:

Okay, I have to say this- Hilary Clinton has been under investigation for about a quarter of a century now. She has yet to be indicted once.

She's either not "blindingly corrupt" or she's a loving criminal genius.

Either way, that's someone you want to vote for not against!

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kwyndig posted:

I'd vote for Moriarty. He'd probably be able to get a lot of poo poo done.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Kwyndig posted:

The older I get, the more I realize the ideal president leader would be Lord Vetinari from Ankh-Morpork.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
jill stein likes GURPS, pass it on

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I mean, the election is between a centrist and Darth Sidious'* old, orange, dumb brother so it's a pretty easy answer. And not even the smart Sidious, the dumb one from the Freemaker adventures.

*I've been reading a lot of Star Wars stuff for a campaign I ended up having to cancel: sue me.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Nuns with Guns posted:

also gary johnson is deep into Hc Svnt Dracones

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Nuns with Guns posted:

also gary johnson is deep into Hc Svnt Dracones

Be fair, he probably just plays Eclipse Phase. He doesn't seem a furry.

But, is someone who doesn't get the subtle criticism of libertarianism in the text.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Nuns with Guns posted:

jill stein likes GURPS purple monkey dishwasher

Covok
May 27, 2013

Was there an anti-vaxxer supplement to GURPS? If so, that explains Jill's interest in it.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Nuns with Guns posted:

She's too granola for that, no doubt her thing is a really badly run freeform forum RP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

dwarf74 posted:

Buddy, if I see the words "[Hillary Clinton would] rather be a healer, but she'll be the tank when she needs to." and I don't roast whoever wrote them, I will go to my grave knowing that I have squandered the gift of life.

• Locked thread