Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Boner Wad posted:

I ripped out my nice looking 4xHDMI plate behind my TV since it was not letting 4K HDR stuff come through. I bought those hair plates and ran four Amazon Basics 25ft cables from the back of the TV to the devices on the shelves in front.

I had to use HDMI 90/270 degree benders so the cables wouldn't stick out side of the tv. Since the HDMI cables are super thick I had to pull the TV away from the wall about five inches.

I'd rather not do either, any other suggestions for cabling? I've seen smaller cable thickness with less of a head but I don't know how the quality is.

Also, I have my three devices going through my sound bar instead of going directly into the TV. I did this to get HD audio. Is this a silly idea?

For reference I have an LG 65" E6P and a Sony HT-CT790 that will do 4K.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025506

I've used these with no issues. Not very thick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm thinking about getting a 65 inch ks8000. How concerned should I be about it not doing dolby vision? Also what fairly cheap tv/media cabinets do you guys recommend?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I have one. I'm not super concerned because it's hard enough to find 4K content, let alone HDR. Mount it on the wall.

I would pick the panel you prefer the look of before worrying about DV v HDR10.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Black Friday HDTV Megathread for 2016 has started. Only one ad so far, but you know more are coming.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
The 1080p OLED 55 from LG is $999 on Amazon right now

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

GEMorris posted:

The 1080p OLED 55 from LG is $999 on Amazon right now

Guessing this sold out, post a link next time!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Hey all,

I was hoping to upgrade to a nice shiny 4K TV in a year's time when I know I'd have much more money thanks to a new job.

Unfortunately my current job required me to drive cross country and my Toshiba 27inch 1080p TV now has lip syncing issues.

I want to upgrade to 4K but only really have 500 bucks to spend. Will use it exclusively for gaming. Everyone raves about Samsung's products and I'm tempted to pick up this guy here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DUTL4OI/ref=twister_B01FXPYXCW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I know black friday deals online will be popping though, but is this the sort of TV I should be getting?

My PS4 got wrecked a few weeks ago so Im upgrading to a ps4 pro too.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Not everyone raves about Samsung. I wouldn't get their non oled offerings anymore. I'd go vizio or Sony.

Get a Vizio. E55 for 599 I think. 4K @40" seems worthless. Doubly so from the console angle that will not really be true 4K anyways.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Also Wal-Mart has the TCL 55" 4K TV for $430 (at least locally mine does) which is a drat good steal for a utilitarian 4K TV

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Weird concern, but I was looking to avoid 4K in upgrading because I've seen them really mess up cinematography (it messes with the the focus of the picture and seems to kind of negate the production values, if that makes any sense). I've heard some people talk about this but some see it as nit-picking (some apparently don't see it at all). Is this a non-4k native content issue? It's just really annoying to watch, but 4k seems to be the industry standard and cheapest option nowadays. Any thoughts?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

To me, it sounds like you are talking about motion interpolation, not resolution.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Soap opera effect. It's terrible and you can easily turn it off.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

^^^ correct, thanks

bull3964 posted:

To me, it sounds like you are talking about motion interpolation, not resolution.

I think you're right, I'm talking about what's apparently called the "soap opera effect". I'd only ever noticed it on newer TVs so I was thinking it was associated with the 4K, but (according to the wiki) some brands have it where you can turn that down, wonder which ones have it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

All brands and models should have a setting to turn it off. I've never heard of one that doesn't. It's either on or off, no turning it down.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

GreenNight posted:

It's either on or off, no turning it down.

There usually is a scale as well, but even at 1/10 it bugs me too much on film content.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

GreenNight posted:

All brands and models should have a setting to turn it off. I've never heard of one that doesn't. It's either on or off, no turning it down.

Our Sharp definitely has a low/medium/xxxxxxtreme scale for the interpolation, along with a "cinema" mode for the frame interpolation which I 100% cannot tell the effect of

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Weird concern, but I was looking to avoid 4K in upgrading because I've seen them really mess up cinematography (it messes with the the focus of the picture and seems to kind of negate the production values, if that makes any sense). I've heard some people talk about this but some see it as nit-picking (some apparently don't see it at all). Is this a non-4k native content issue? It's just really annoying to watch, but 4k seems to be the industry standard and cheapest option nowadays. Any thoughts?

People are talking about soap opera effect and motion interpolation but honestly your description is bizarre. Are you talking about the "smoothness" of the action? If so, yes that's the motion interpolation and you can turn it off on any modern Tv. It also has nothing to do with 4k and was introduced in older TVs.

If you're talking about something else then I have no idea but am fascinated.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

BonoMan posted:

People are talking about soap opera effect and motion interpolation but honestly your description is bizarre. Are you talking about the "smoothness" of the action? If so, yes that's the motion interpolation and you can turn it off on any modern Tv. It also has nothing to do with 4k and was introduced in older TVs.

If you're talking about something else then I have no idea but am fascinated.

I think it is the soap opera effect and I'm not terribly interesting :(

I've only seen it on others' TVs so I haven't been able to mess with settings. Perhaps the levels would be a waste of time and off would be best.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

I think it is the soap opera effect and I'm not terribly interesting :(

I've only seen it on others' TVs so I haven't been able to mess with settings. Perhaps the levels would be a waste of time and off would be best.

Yes you want it off at all times. Some would argue turning it on for sports but no... Keep it totally turned off.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
I'm confused. I just bought a Vizio M50-D1. Do I need to connect my PC or Xbox One S to a special HDMI port to get HDR, or do all of the ports provide for it? Did Vizio push an update which provides universal HDR support yet? tks

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

beergod posted:

I'm confused. I just bought a Vizio M50-D1. Do I need to connect my PC or Xbox One S to a special HDMI port to get HDR, or do all of the ports provide for it? Did Vizio push an update which provides universal HDR support yet? tks

I actually just helped a friend of mine figure this out. Only HDMI-1 supports it on that model. And you need to enable it in a menu first (under Inputs maybe?). They call it Color Subsampling or something like that.

The update they pushed recently added HDR-10 support. They originally only supported Dolby Vision.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT

turtleface posted:

I actually just helped a friend of mine figure this out. Only HDMI-1 supports it on that model. And you need to enable it in a menu first (under Inputs maybe?). They call it Color Subsampling or something like that.

The update they pushed recently added HDR-10 support. They originally only supported Dolby Vision.

Does something HDR-enabled need to be connected to enable the options in the settings? I see the setting toggle under HDMI 1, but it won't let me toggle it on.

turtleface
May 28, 2003

I'm helping

beergod posted:

Does something HDR-enabled need to be connected to enable the options in the settings? I see the setting toggle under HDMI 1, but it won't let me toggle it on.

Haha oh my god you're going through the same bullshit we did. I ended up finding post on the AVS Forum that mentioned there being a bug where you could only toggle it on over wifi and not bluetooth. So make sure the remote can see the TV over wifi...like try and cast something to it with the remote's YouTube app and see if the tv shows up, that's how I got clued in (don't trust the fact that the tv displays your network id). What we found is that even if you think you set things up, if your router is blocking whatever network discovery the remote needs to find the tv, it'll fall back to bluetooth and you won't know it.

Imaduck
Apr 16, 2007

the magnetorotational instability turns me on
I'm thinking of getting the Vizio M60D1 or M65D0

https://www.vizio.com/m60d1.html
https://www.vizio.com/m65d0.html

They seem to be at a nice spot in price point, features (4k, HDR, Chromecast, tablet), and solid brand. Are there any others I should be looking at around this price point?

I'm probably going to pay some local service to mount it on my wall. What should that cost?

EDIT: Also, I noticed the 60" is IPS while the 65" is VA. I'm reading conflicting things about these technologies; is one really preferred over the other? I might do some gaming on this thing, but It's not really my main concern. Will the response times be okay for me on either display?

Imaduck fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 6, 2016

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
This is assuredly a dumb question that has been answered before, but if I'm looking for a ~40" TV (where I want to put it can't really fit anything larger), is 4K even worth it, or should I just look for 1080p only? I'm sitting about 3-4 feet away from the TV in this room.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Imaduck posted:

https://www.vizio.com/m60d1.html
https://www.vizio.com/m65d0.html

They seem to be at a nice spot in price point, features (4k, HDR, Chromecast, tablet), and solid brand. Are there any others I should be looking at around this price point?

I'm probably going to pay some local service to mount it on my wall. What should that cost?

EDIT: Also, I noticed the 60" is IPS while the 65" is VA. I'm reading conflicting things about these technologies; is one really preferred over the other? I might do some gaming on this thing, but It's not really my main concern. Will the response times be okay for me on either display?

Vizio usually has low latency because they do gently caress all image processing, which is where a lot of latency gets added. I think IPS has a little slower pixel refresh time, but I PC game on IPS and it's fine. Either is probably fine for casual gaming.

Here is the dude I used, I think it was like $100 for two TVs and he ran the power cord and HDMI cable through the wall (definitely not up to code but it works and looks fine). It was 4 years ago so might have gotten more expensive I dunno.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Imaduck posted:

VA is typically considered to have blacker blacks and better contrast than IPS, if your viewing position is on/near the centerline of the TV. IPS is generally considered to have a wider acceptable viewing angle than VA, but worse contrast. I don't know about their response times for gaming. Here is some discussion of IPS vs VA:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/viewing-angle

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

I'm thinking of upgrading from a 60 inch 1080p Sony to this 65 inch 4K LG http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...146221-pdt.html

I'll mainly use it for streaming 4K content and playing games on the PS4 pro. I know there's different HDR standards and stuff, will that TV be compatible with whatever it is the PS4 pro puts out?

Any reason why I shouldn't get that TV? It seems to have good reviews from a bit of googleing, I noticed there's a flat screen version too for the same price at the moment, I usually sit square in front of the TV so would curved be better?

Thanks for any help in advance

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Number_6 posted:

VA is typically considered to have blacker blacks and better contrast than IPS, if your viewing position is on/near the centerline of the TV. IPS is generally considered to have a wider acceptable viewing angle than VA, but worse contrast. I don't know about their response times for gaming. Here is some discussion of IPS vs VA:
http://www.rtings.com/tv/tests/picture-quality/viewing-angle
IPS is usually slower than VA, but not so much that you'll notice unless you're really sensitive to latency. In general, I prefer IPS for monitors and VA for TVs.

(Edited because I had it backwards.)

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 7, 2016

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Yea, you should really really not buy an IPS tv. Blacks will be basically gray.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

We've discussed some of the dubious at best processing modes on modern TVs quite often, but is there a single function out there that's more useless than the '2D to 3D' button?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, it's nice for calibrating 3d mode with a test pattern at least :)

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's an infamously boring test pattern tech video from the UK that I feel needs to be watched in 3D now... curse you!

Bad Parenting
Mar 26, 2007

This could get emotional...

Bad Parenting posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading from a 60 inch 1080p Sony to this 65 inch 4K LG http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and...146221-pdt.html

I'll mainly use it for streaming 4K content and playing games on the PS4 pro. I know there's different HDR standards and stuff, will that TV be compatible with whatever it is the PS4 pro puts out?

Any reason why I shouldn't get that TV? It seems to have good reviews from a bit of googleing, I noticed there's a flat screen version too for the same price at the moment, I usually sit square in front of the TV so would curved be better?

Thanks for any help in advance

Is there anyone who could give me some input on this? I'd just like to know there's not going to be something better coming out in the next few month for the same price or any other reason I should hold off upgrading right now.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Just wanted to remind that the Black Friday HDTV megathread is underway, I've added a few more stores since I started:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796229

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Just wanted to remind that the Black Friday HDTV megathread is underway, I've added a few more stores since I started:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796229

Geez, Samsung's really trying to clear out stock.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

One could almost say it's a fire sale.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Got my LG55EG9100 yesterday. It's replacing a 7 year old LED 32" Phillips TV.

I know I'll norm to this but it feels like I have a theatre in my house now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I saw Dr Strange on a Cinemark top end XD screen this weekend at a theater that's only two years old. This was first theater experience since I bought my C6.

First reaction? This 3d isn't sharp enough and these black levels suuuuuuuuck. I'm so incredibly spoiled now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Got a Vizio D40-D1 and it looks pretty drat good. For calibration I just copied someone else's numbers from a Google search and it looks fine, might tinker with it some later.