Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cryostasis is fun if you can deal with some low-budget Euro strangeness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

5thMouseButton posted:

Looking for a PC horror shooter game, first or third. Along the lines of Dead Space, Alan Wake, & Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Horror elements as far as being atmospheric, more action than say Amnesia (though I may just play that again) and would like some shooting.

The Fear series, System Shock series, the first two Bioshock games, Clive Barker's Undying

Edit: I forgot with the Fear games it's meant to be an acronym so you may have to type it out as F.E.A.R. to find it in a search engine

Purple Monkey fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Oct 26, 2016

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Cryostasis is fun if you can deal with some low-budget Euro strangeness
You'll have to track down a hard copy or :filez: it though because it got pulled from digital distribution a few years ago.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

5thMouseButton posted:

Looking for a PC horror shooter game, first or third. Along the lines of Dead Space, Alan Wake, & Condemned: Criminal Origins.

Horror elements as far as being atmospheric, more action than say Amnesia (though I may just play that again) and would like some shooting.

Try the Penumbra games, and if you haven't yet played it try Resident Evil 4. Spooky's House of Jumpscares is surprisingly fantastic.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Any recommendations for games with just really pretty, satisfying explosions? Genre doesn't matter. So far my top four are Just Cause 3, Mercenaries, Ace Combat Assault Horizon/Infinity, and The Division.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

ninjahedgehog posted:

Any recommendations for games with just really pretty, satisfying explosions? Genre doesn't matter. So far my top four are Just Cause 3, Mercenaries, Ace Combat Assault Horizon/Infinity, and The Division.

EDF! EDF!

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
Not sure if a strategy game is what you're looking for but I recall World In Conflict having a really nice effect on nuclear missles

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ninjahedgehog posted:

Arma heavily modded creates beautiful explosions, specifically the aftermath. Otherwise, Boom Blox.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am going to be spending my evenings in a hotel room for the next month pretty much isolated. I am looking for good games for PC specifically on Steam and as mainstream as possible that aren't just time killers like Civ or Total War. To get an idea of what I'm into, so far the list is:

DOOM
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Shadow Warrior 2
Pillars of Eternity
Wasteland 2
Witcher 3
Divinity Original Sin

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Shadowrun Dragonfall and Hong Kong, Fallout New Vegas, Wolfenstein The New Order and The Old Blood, LISA, and Undertale.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

signalnoise posted:

I am going to be spending my evenings in a hotel room for the next month pretty much isolated. I am looking for good games for PC specifically on Steam and as mainstream as possible that aren't just time killers like Civ or Total War. To get an idea of what I'm into, so far the list is:

DOOM
Deus Ex Mankind Divided
Shadow Warrior 2
Pillars of Eternity
Wasteland 2
Witcher 3
Divinity Original Sin

:darksouls:

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

What are some games with exploration and a quiet, immersive atmosphere? An example I keep thinking of is Shadow of the Colossus on PS2. I liked the journey to each colossus almost as much as I liked fighting them. There's a bunch of scenic locations that aren't even on the way to the battles, you can just stumble across them and there's no point to them, they're just their own reward. I'm looking for stuff like that, exploration that you do for its own sake, not so much to find collectibles and whatnot. Genre doesn't matter.

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Oct 29, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Queering Wheel posted:

What are some games with exploration and a quiet, immersive atmosphere? An example I keep thinking of is Shadow of the Colossus on PS2. I liked the journey to each colossus almost as much as I liked fighting them. There's a bunch of scenic locations that aren't even on the way to the battles, you can just stumble across them and there's no point to them, they're just their own reward. I'm looking for stuff like that, exploration that you do for its own sake, not so much to find collectibles and whatnot. Genre doesn't matter.

:darksouls:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Journey

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Queering Wheel posted:

Knytt Stories

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Queering Wheel posted:

The last two games that compelled me to take screenshots of their environments were Grand Theft Auto 5 and Final Fantasy 14.

MrXmas
Apr 10, 2006

Let's Get Sweaty

Queering Wheel posted:

Isn't this the exact reason nerds cried about No Man's Sky

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

MrXmas posted:

Isn't this the exact reason nerds cried about No Man's Sky

No. They cried about No Man's Sky because it tried to be than and fell flat. Not enough variety to make exploring feel worthwhile.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi
I'm gonna trade off a 3DSXL for a PS Vita tomorrow, since I'm done with Nintendo til Mario Kart comes out for the Switch. But I haven't played PlayStation games since a buddy had a PS2 when we were kids.

I'm getting physical copies of Borderlands 2 and Ragnarok Odyssey in the trade. I would mostly rather buy not-full-priced games from the PSN store.

I play a lot of analog board/designer card games (so mostly turn based) and some casual stuff on my iPad, and it would take a really exceptionally fun game for me to forgive anime graphics. If there are any board game ports or board-game-likes on the Vita, I'm interested, but as far as I can tell, there's not really any.

Is Civilization Revolution 2 really as bad as people say? I like Battle of Polytopia (iOS) but I got Civ IV on my MacBook and it's too complicated for me to enjoy straight away. I don't like to spend unfun time learning how to play in order to have fun playing.

I like puzzle-like roguelites like Hoplite on iOS or Militia on Steam. Anything to recommend in that vein?

Is the Vita good for FPSes? I don't like typical realistic/contemporary war FPSes but I liked hokey/unbalanced ones like Call of Juarez and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Anything like those?

I never got any good at fighting games. Any recommendations for one to learn? I'll probably get the Power Stone collection but I'm especially interested in a 2D game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Mortley posted:

I like puzzle-like roguelites like Hoplite on iOS or Militia on Steam. Anything to recommend in that vein?

Sproggiwood, Desktop Dungeons, Dungeonmans, in order of increasing complexity. They're all pretty hard though, though if you're playing Hoplite you can handle them.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Mortley posted:

I'm gonna trade off a 3DSXL for a PS Vita tomorrow, since I'm done with Nintendo til Mario Kart comes out for the Switch. But I haven't played PlayStation games since a buddy had a PS2 when we were kids.

I'm getting physical copies of Borderlands 2 and Ragnarok Odyssey in the trade. I would mostly rather buy not-full-priced games from the PSN store.

I play a lot of analog board/designer card games (so mostly turn based) and some casual stuff on my iPad, and it would take a really exceptionally fun game for me to forgive anime graphics. If there are any board game ports or board-game-likes on the Vita, I'm interested, but as far as I can tell, there's not really any.

Is Civilization Revolution 2 really as bad as people say? I like Battle of Polytopia (iOS) but I got Civ IV on my MacBook and it's too complicated for me to enjoy straight away. I don't like to spend unfun time learning how to play in order to have fun playing.

Is the Vita good for FPSes? I don't like typical realistic/contemporary war FPSes but I liked hokey/unbalanced ones like Call of Juarez and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Anything like those?

I never got any good at fighting games. Any recommendations for one to learn? I'll probably get the Power Stone collection but I'm especially interested in a 2D game.

No board games. No puzzle roguelites I can think of.

Civ 2 is an okay game that if you liked Polytopia you will probably enjoy, but I have no idea how it plays on Vita.

The two FPS's that spring to mind are Duke Nukem and Killzone. Duke Nukem is a port of the original game and its expansions. Killzone has a short single player campaign and you can buy DLC that adds bots to the multiplayer and it plays pretty well.

The best fighting game on VIta is Marvel vs Capcom 3, but it's been taken off the store because of licensing. You can still find the physical version I'm sure. It has a mode that lets you set the super moves to touch screen which makes it pretty fun for people like myself who suck at fighting games.

Honestly the things Vita does best is having portable version of some popular Indie games, Anime games, and PSP/PS1. If something that plays Risk of Rain, Spelunky, Darkest Dungeon, Super Meatboy, and Rogue Legacy on the go isn't what you are looking for, you will probably be disappointed with it. Also realize the system is essentially dead and while a few games still come out that are great, don't expect much else than what's already there.

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.
Is there such a thing as a fighting game/rpg? I'm thinking of something like the world tour mode in SF Alpha 3, but with rpg-esque stat/gear progression that's required to beat later bosses.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Dungeon Fighter Online? It's more of a brawler than a fighting game but probably the closest thing.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Kulkasha posted:

Is there such a thing as a fighting game/rpg? I'm thinking of something like the world tour mode in SF Alpha 3, but with rpg-esque stat/gear progression that's required to beat later bosses.

The Sega Saturn classic Guardian Heroes, which got a rerelease on Xbox 360. Has RPG stat progression, button combinations for spells and special moves, and you shift between three planes rather than having free up/down movement like in most beat-'em-ups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngSsVUobsdY

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 5, 2016

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Looking for something for Win U or 3DS for the girlfriend for Christmas. She's mostly into Mario, Mario Kart, Pokemon, and Tsum Tsum. Mario is about the maximum level of stress she can handle in a game, so I need something light.

She's already getting the new pokemon on release so that's out. I was thinking Animal Crossing: New Leaf, but I've never played it. She loved watching me play Stardew Valley though, and I figure it's slow paced enough for her. I was also considering Pikmin 3, but I've also never played that, plus I'm not sure if she's into strategy stuff. She's not really into combat so I doubt she'd like Zelda either.

Also we're in Japan, if that changes the selection any.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay: I'm looking for a Dwarf Fortress-esque game that's approachable, fun, and has a good user interface. I played the KeeperRL demo and enjoyed it, but I'm not attached to the Dungeon Keeper trappings.

My favorite things about this genre are watching my little dudes do things and be weird ala Startopia, and I enjoy basic base building.

What's out there for me?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Rimworld. Rimworld is great. Ignore the recent controversies and just play a good game.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay: I'm looking for a Dwarf Fortress-esque game that's approachable, fun, and has a good user interface. I played the KeeperRL demo and enjoyed it, but I'm not attached to the Dungeon Keeper trappings.

My favorite things about this genre are watching my little dudes do things and be weird ala Startopia, and I enjoy basic base building.

What's out there for me?

I had a good time with Gnomoria. It's usually pretty cheap, fun, and it's my most played DF-like. I'm not really sure if it's ground-breaking or anything but I had fun holding my own against invading enemies setting up traps and all that. The dev dropped off the face of the earth when the game released so it's not being worked on anymore, which is a shame because I thought it had some potential to really go somewhere.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Rimworld. Rimworld is great. Ignore the recent controversies and just play a good game.

Well now I just gotta know, what's the Rimworld controversy?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

RPS wrote an article digging into the sexism baked into the code. There are no Bi men in Rimworld, and other, troubling things.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

On the one hand, you have a good point. It seems like a game I'd enjoy. I can work past how offended I still am by how he handled gender in the code. On the other hand, I don't want to give 30$ to someone with such terrible beliefs. For now I'm keeping it off the wishlist and waiting to see how it comes along in Early Access. (And give myself time to get some distance from this controversy.) Thank you for the rec, though!

Yar The Pirate posted:

I had a good time with Gnomoria. It's usually pretty cheap, fun, and it's my most played DF-like. I'm not really sure if it's ground-breaking or anything but I had fun holding my own against invading enemies setting up traps and all that. The dev dropped off the face of the earth when the game released so it's not being worked on anymore, which is a shame because I thought it had some potential to really go somewhere.

Erg, a permanently unfinished game? I'll have a look at it, but that's worrying. Are there really no other good DF-lite clones out there? Or Startopia-esques?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

grate deceiver posted:

I assume this is the one. I first saw it get posted in the fabgoon thread and I haven't been following the game so it's the only one I know of.

quote:

Reed’s having a bad day: her spaceship crashed, she’s one of three survivors, and the other two won’t stop hitting on her. Unfortunately for her, she’s beautiful, which means that they’re immediately enamoured with her; unfortunately for them, she’s gay, which means the feeling is definitely not mutual. Her life is a constant hellish stream of corny pick-up lines and work for the colony.

RimWorld is a scifi colony management sim that seems to effortlessly weave dynamic stories around the player’s attempts to survive on an often harsh alien world, but when it comes to sexuality, romance and gender, it tells variations on this one story far too often. We dug into the code to find out why that is.

[...]

To be clear, the anecdote I’ve described above is not a unique scenario in RimWorld. The current top-rated post of all time on the RimWorld subreddit is a user asking for “strategies to deal with attractive lesbians”. Additionally, an earlier decompilation of the game, summarizing how RimWorld models romantic behaviour, was a pretty good indicator that the answer to Reed’s dilemma lay somewhere in the game’s source code.

So why were Reed’s fellow survivors constantly hitting on her? The answer lies, partially, in how romance attempts are calculated differently for male and female “pawns”, the game’s term for all the colonists you control. All pawns start out with a base chance of turning any social interaction into a romance attempt, and a minimum threshold of attractiveness and positive opinion for this to happen. In other words, you have to actually like someone and find them attractive in order to try to start a romantic relationship with them. Things become interesting when the random chance of initiation comes in.

code:

// Change chance of initiation based on gender of initiator  

if(me.gender == male) {
            // no change
            initiation-chance = initiation-chance * 100%; 
        }

if(me.gender == female) {
            // initiation chance is 12.5% of what it would be
            Initiation-chance = initiation-chance * 12.5%
        }

In other words, female pawns are about eight times less likely to try and start a romantic relationship.

So how is attractiveness actually calculated? For both male and female pawns, attractiveness rests on a few variables: the genders of the initiator and the recipient, the sexual orientation of the initiator, the beauty of the recipient, age, and physical ability.

Before going into gender-specific differences, let’s first look at some universal variables..
code:
code:
// In the rest of the function, multiply attractiveness with the factors for: 
// Talking, moving, and manipulation efficiency (penalty for pawns with disabilities)
// Bonus or penalty for attractiveness traits (ugly = 30% as likely, beautiful = 230% as likely)
// Additional age factor for people between 15 and 18else if(me.gender == female) {
// Enforce sexual orientation for gay women

if(me.orientation == gay and them.gender == male) {
            // zero attractiveness, no matter what
            return 0.0;
        }
        // And for non-gay women
        if(me.orientation == straight and them.gender == female) {
            // Only 15% as strong as it would otherwise be
            attractiveness = attractiveness * 15%;
        }
There are no straight women in RimWorld, as in, there are no women only attracted to men. Instead, every single non-gay woman in the game has some chance of being attracted to another woman. As for the men, it works a little differently.

code:

// Calculate the perceived attractiveness (between 0.0 and 1.0) of them, to me

float calculate_attractiveness(Pawn me, Pawn them) {
    float attractiveness = 0.0;

if(me.gender == male) {

// Enforce sexual orientation for male pawns
        if(me.orientation == gay and them.gender == female) {
            return 0.0; 
        }
        if(me.orientation == straight and them.gender == male) {
            return 0.0;
        }
Notice that there’s only two possible orientations for men, gay or straight. In RimWorld, there are no bisexual men, only gay or straight men; there are no straight women, only gay or bisexual women.

[...]

In RimWorld, male pawns will always find pawns between 20 and their own age attractive. If the male pawn in question is under 20, that doesn’t make a difference – because it’ll check the “lower” bound first, they’re guaranteed to find a 20-year-old attractive. This explains why Rob (age 32) and Boots (age 17) keep trying to ask out Reed (age 23). But, since the same code doesn’t check for relative age, 17-year-old Boots wouldn’t actually find a fellow 17-year-old teenager all that attractive. There’s also a minimum age for attraction, 16 years old, and a maximum age, any pawn 15 years older than themselves. So in this case, Boots wouldn’t find any woman over the age of 32, or any woman under age 16, attractive.

On the other hand, women overwhelmingly prefer partners older than them. And, unlike for men, there’s no firm cutoff for pawns that are “too old”: even pawns 40 years older than the woman in question have a chance of being perceived as attractive. Contrast this to the calculation for men, where pawns 15 years older than them have absolutely no chance

Dev Comment posted:

And personal observations: I’ve known some bi women and a large proportion of the nominally straight women I’ve known have discussed bi impulses or experiences they’ve had. In contrast, every bi man I’ve ever known has ultimately ended up identifying as gay. These patterns seem to apply even in very gay-friendly social contexts.
Of course I’m sure bi/bi-curious men exist, but the research and what I’ve seen supports the conclusion that they’re rarer than bi women. Conversely, gay women seem to be rarer than gay men.

djw175 fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 6, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

StrixNebulosa posted:

What's out there for me?

Clockwork Empires is just out of Early Access and your sims can join cults and eat fishmen meat (or each other). Definitely simpler than DF, I'd say about as complex as Startopia.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's basically the dev wrote some weird gender behaviour code into the game and got all :biotruths: when someone wrote an article about it.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Erg, a permanently unfinished game? I'll have a look at it, but that's worrying. Are there really no other good DF-lite clones out there? Or Startopia-esques?

To be honest, this is a hard genre to find NON-unfinished games in. Especially considering that DF itself is essentially a perpetual early-access game (albiet one that runs on an entirely donation-based model).

Prison Architect is a good game - it's more focused than DF or Startopia, but it's also actually properly "finished" in the sense that the devs consider what they've done with it to be feature-complete (they still add things occasionally but they won't be doing it on the fairly strict monthly schedule that they had during early access). The devs have cited DF as a specific inspiration so they were going for that level of interaction and complexity with the systems.

Maia I have not played but I remember when it was on Kickstarter ages ago and it looked interesting. I don't know much about what sort of state it's in now so it might be a good idea to look into it a bit before deciding to buy it.

Banished is a fairly simple town building sim - it's not anywhere near as deep or complex as Dwarf Fortress but it does a pretty good job of keeping your town on the razor's edge of survival because of how the food mechanics work. It has a relatively large mod called "Colonial Charter" as well that adds a ton of new stuff to the game, although due to some of the limitations in how the systems work there are some places where stuff feels kind of hacked in.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Kulkasha posted:

River City Ransom, if you don't mind going real old school.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Fat Samurai posted:

Clockwork Empires is just out of Early Access and your sims can join cults and eat fishmen meat (or each other). Definitely simpler than DF, I'd say about as complex as Startopia.

I'm down with this. On the wishlist it goes. It looks like it's made by the Dredmor devs too, and they're cool folks.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

To be honest, this is a hard genre to find NON-unfinished games in. Especially considering that DF itself is essentially a perpetual early-access game (albiet one that runs on an entirely donation-based model).

Prison Architect is a good game - it's more focused than DF or Startopia, but it's also actually properly "finished" in the sense that the devs consider what they've done with it to be feature-complete (they still add things occasionally but they won't be doing it on the fairly strict monthly schedule that they had during early access). The devs have cited DF as a specific inspiration so they were going for that level of interaction and complexity with the systems.

Maia I have not played but I remember when it was on Kickstarter ages ago and it looked interesting. I don't know much about what sort of state it's in now so it might be a good idea to look into it a bit before deciding to buy it.

Banished is a fairly simple town building sim - it's not anywhere near as deep or complex as Dwarf Fortress but it does a pretty good job of keeping your town on the razor's edge of survival because of how the food mechanics work. It has a relatively large mod called "Colonial Charter" as well that adds a ton of new stuff to the game, although due to some of the limitations in how the systems work there are some places where stuff feels kind of hacked in.

This is a very helpful post, thank you! I own Prison Architect and may give it another go - the subject matter still makes me feel a bit sick (the tutorial opens with an execution and it's difficult to play it without thinking of real prisons, which are hellholes) - but with some luck I might be able to treat it like the antfarm it is and have some sadistic fun.

Maia has a ton of poor reviews, so I'm giving it a pass - and Banished, hmm. I've heard about it but never played it, so again, onto the wishlist it goes!

Thanks!

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Kulkasha posted:

One Must Fall 2097 championship mode?

djw175 posted:

I assume this is the one. I first saw it get posted in the fabgoon thread and I haven't been following the game so it's the only one I know of.

Rimworld: Biotruths Simulator :negative:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is a very helpful post, thank you! I own Prison Architect and may give it another go - the subject matter still makes me feel a bit sick (the tutorial opens with an execution and it's difficult to play it without thinking of real prisons, which are hellholes) - but with some luck I might be able to treat it like the antfarm it is and have some sadistic fun.

One of the good things about PA is that it's very mature about it's subject matter - executions are treated with a lot of gravity and you can specifically choose not to involve them in your game; you will never be sent death row inmates unless you tell the game you want them. You can also run your prison as a Scandanavian style reform-based human rights paradise if you want to be nice - it's kind of hard to do, especially if you get a lot of max sec prisoners who tend to be more aggressive and violent and thus harder to keep under control without suppressing them (suppression keeps prisoners from causing trouble but also lowers their likelihood to attend reform programs), but it is absolutely possible and actually a fairly popular build since once you get it going it's not very resource intensive and you get bonuses for having an incident-free prison.

Camping.. Intense!
May 18, 2005

Absolutely
Grimey Drawer
A couple of recommendations i am after.

Culdcept - Anything similar to this? I have played the PS2 version and NDS version but now i have neither and its getting me down. I cant play the X360 version because its region locked to the U.S. If anyone hasnt heard of it, well its kind of a mix of Magic The Gathering but as a board game and it rocks.

Suikoden 1/2 - So i have played a fair few JRPGs at least on my SNES and PS1/2 back in the day but since then they have all become 3D but i still prefer the old top down version. I have played Exit Fate which was a similar indie game but i havent found much else thats similar - I guess im looking for a JRPG where you recruit lots of different characters, can swap out parties, build a headquarters and do some tactical stuff as well.. Not sure if there is anything that similar out there recently that i might have missed.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Is there anything like Hexcells? The bf and I devoured all three games on Steam and I would adore something in a similar vein, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Closed-Down Pizza Parlor posted:

Is there anything like Hexcells? The bf and I devoured all three games on Steam and I would adore something in a similar vein, thanks.

For starters, Matthew Brown made a spin-off of HexCells called SquareCells. Be warned though that it might not immediately click, if at all. It's not quite as immediately intuitive as HexCells and badly needed a mark-up mode, IMO.

Patterna was recently mentioned in the Steam thread and it directly advertises itself as "for people who think that HexCells is far too easy". But after trying the demo, I wasn't so hot on this one. The added difficulty and the less polished presentation weren't to my taste, YMMV.

In the same brain-tickling neighborhood, there's also Paint it Back, a Picross title, and the perennial goon favorite Square Logic, which uses a Sudoku-esque format called KenKen.