Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
there's a lot of neat mechanics to the boss, and he can be beaten at any level without the need for too much grinding (not unlike those boring 1millionHP bosses)
the thing is just that somestimes he decides for you to have a bad time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Sometimes the secret boss decides to be the most challenging boss in the game.

Sometimes it is a pushover.

It's never in the middle ground though.

Zinco
Mar 27, 2005

I don't like the inconsistency in difficulty, but at least everyone always has a reason to be nervous about that boss fight.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Zinco posted:

I don't like the inconsistency in difficulty, but at least everyone always has a reason to be nervous about that boss fight.

I think Mega is gonna have a ball when he gets to it, if he doesn't lose his marbles first.

Zeikier fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 6, 2016

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Zinco posted:

I don't like the inconsistency in difficulty

Agreed. Sometimes it's just fine, other times I've literally been killed on the boss' first turn.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Agreed. Sometimes it's just fine, other times I've literally been killed on the boss' first turn.

That happened to me!

Somehow despite playing through this game at least three times I've never bothered fighting the secret boss until now.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
As much as I love this game, the superboss is a lesson on how not to do a superboss. But I'll rant about that more once Mega gets to it.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I've only ever played through this game once with a friend (we basically split up the characters so that we each had four and we'd compose a party of two of his, two of mine), and we managed to take down the superboss in a single attempt, using the strategy outlined in the Bradygames guide on the PlayOnline walkthrough.

Also, it's the only PSX-era superboss that I've ever managed to secure a kill on. Never managed to take down Ruby or Emerald Weapon in VII, never managed to take down Omega in VIII.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

DeafNote posted:

and he can be beaten at any level

I've recorded the entire level 1 run so I've proven this!

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Now that I'm thinking about it, Final Fantasy is pretty bad with superbosses in general. At least in the PSX/PS2 era. Big numbers don't make a superboss.

I'm looking at you, Fiend Arena and Almighty Shinra

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

W.T. Fits posted:

I've only ever played through this game once with a friend (we basically split up the characters so that we each had four and we'd compose a party of two of his, two of mine), and we managed to take down the superboss in a single attempt, using the strategy outlined in the Bradygames guide on the PlayOnline walkthrough.

Also, it's the only PSX-era superboss that I've ever managed to secure a kill on. Never managed to take down Ruby or Emerald Weapon in VII, never managed to take down Omega in VIII.

if you don't care about doing things the "right" way, you can cheese Omega pretty easily with holy wars, which you can get from card modding, and you can get infinite supplies of the card you need for it as long as you do the CC quest

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

morallyobjected posted:

if you don't care about doing things the "right" way, you can cheese Omega pretty easily with holy wars, which you can get from card modding, and you can get infinite supplies of the card you need for it as long as you do the CC quest

As long as you don't care about anything but getting the job done, you can cheese it even more easily with The End like I did. Most things in the game can be beaten this way, which is probably why VIII was the first Final Fantasy I finished.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I beat them all from this era (and FFX), but some of them so werent worth it

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

As much as I love this game, the superboss is a lesson on how not to do a superboss. But I'll rant about that more once Mega gets to it.
I still think its a more interesting superboss than any of the long drawn out ones who only have like 3 moves each
they arent terrifying, just tedious.
allthough nothing is scarier than the terror duo from Final Fantasy 5

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 6, 2016

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Now that I'm thinking about it, Final Fantasy is pretty bad with superbosses in general. At least in the PSX/PS2 era. Big numbers don't make a superboss.

I'm looking at you, Fiend Arena and Almighty Shinra

Don't forget Penance and Pandemonium Warden. :getin:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wasn't there a superboss in XI that you'd get banned for beating?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Wasn't there a superboss in XI that you'd get banned for beating?

Because the only way to beat it were through zooming in on text or exploits. Most players who did went with exploits.

I believe there's legitimate ways now that player capabilities go much further with expansions.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
If it was Absolute Virtue, there was always a legit way to beat him but Square-Enix got way too cute with the "hint" they supplied people. Long story short, the monster had access to all of the known "2 hour" abilities; these were abilities players could use once every two hours typically to bail their asses out of a jam. Absolute Virtue could use them all, and would do so as often as it saw fit, unless players activated their ability right after he used his, locking it out for the rest of the fight. Square-Enix's "hint" on how to beat AV was just a sub-par quality video of a successful fight against it, and anyone hoping to figure out the secret would have had to scour through walls of battle text and then piece it all together on their own. The FFXI community, if I remember correctly, stuck to cheesing the dude instead.

Nowadays, AV can still be tough if you go in unprepared, but player levels have increased so dramatically since those days that you'd have to go in completely blind to get demolished still.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
IIRC the problem way back when squenix first released the video was not the 2 hour abilities but getting wrecked by Meteor.

But that's just what I read last time this came up in an FF LP thread.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

IIRC the problem way back when squenix first released the video was not the 2 hour abilities but getting wrecked by Meteor.

But that's just what I read last time this came up in an FF LP thread.

Yeah, a bunch of endgame groups knew about the 2 hour locking (but didn't tell anyone, obviously), and he was manageable down until around... 60% or so? Then he'd whip out "bracelets mode", which gave him a huge Magic Attack boost and Meteor would become unsurvivable for anyone except a Paladin with the best shield in the game. Even then, they might still die. Nobody knew if there was a trick to lowering its Magic Attack enough to survive it, but if there was, it wasn't found before the release of the player summoned version of Alexander made it obsolete anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Disc 4 begins back at the Black Mage Village. We'll have a bit of story to go through before we tackle some of Disc 4's sidequests. Enjoy!

There's no need to thank me. You've done us all a great service.
It wasn't a big deal...

Of course it is. So, this was Vivi's idea?
Yeah... He wanted the Genomes to start their new lives here.

Right... He also said...

Like you and Vivi...
I didn't even know if I truly understood him until recently.
We'll take good care of them. Your friends are our friends.

-----

He's a chocobo, not a monster. He's called Bobby Corwen.
Oh, you gave him a name!
Yeah. Bobby Corwen. Isn't it a great name?
Sounds great! Bobby Corwen, huh?

Bobby Corwen is a reference to Boco, the main protagonists's chocobo from FF5. The name pops up in a few other FF titles as well.

I think Bobby Corwen likes you, too.
It won't bite?
Oh, come on! He's just a little baby chocobo.

Wow. I think Bobby Corwen really likes our new friend.

-----

Why...? For the customers, I think...
What are customers?
Well, they bring money, and they hand the money over to the shop, and then...
What is money?
Money is, uh...

World only have two things: Things you can eat and things you no can eat.

The water of Bran Bal was always still...
Hey, did you know that time flows, just like water?
So, water and time both flow in Gaia...?

Looks like they're off to a good start.
Hmph... It's like watching kids play.
It's not their fault... They've only just begun to live their lives...
...Can lost time be recovered?
I don't know... But there's only one thing we can do.
Of course.

I really love this section. The Black Mages, a newly-sentient race still coming to terms of learning the complexities of human society, are now having to teach another race how to act in a way they themselves barely understand. Yet they can probably teach the Genomes better than any humans could since they can relate to them in a way humans never could.

Hmm? What are you talking about?
Kuja must have done something in the Iifa Tree to cover the world in Mist... Do you not think it wise to consult Regent Cid before the final battle?
Kuja probably plans on destroying Gaia. If I go to Lindblum now and tell the regent about it, it might cause a panic.

Indeed. We must defeat the enemy on our own...
Even if we go back to Lindblum to get equipped, please don't tell Uncle Cid about our plans.

Yes. Let's go.

You don't even have a million in one chance of defeating him... You'll all die.

Doesn't she? She's a bit cynical, but take good care of her, will ya? Her name is Mikoto. She's kinda like my little sister.

We might be desperate insects to Kuja, but I'll show you how powerful we can be.

I don't think that's what Zidane meant...

That's it for story stuff. If we want, we can go to the Iifa Tree to start the final dungeon of the game. We've still got quite a bit of side-questing to do first, however.

First thing's first, we've got new overworld music for both the airship and on land. It's similar to how other FF games' overworld music changed to something haunting when poo poo got real in those games.

Second thing, no more Hilda Garde 3.

The Invincible is our new airship. The only difference from Hilda Garde 3 is it can land in barren land as well as grass. This really only opens up Vile Island as not needing a Sky Chocobo anymore, but it's a bit convenient for stuff like the Outer and Forgotten Continents.

Like our other transportation methods, pressing the menu button takes us inside, where we can chat up our party. Most have a line, but Dagger has a small scene (I manage to trigger one for Amarant as well in the next update somehow as well).

What is it, Dagger?
I'm riding on the airship that killed both of my mothers and destroyed my birthplace...
I'm sorry... You probably don't want to ride this airship.
Don't worry about it... Kuja and Garland were the ones who chose to destroy. Not the ship. And I want to stop blaming my sorrow on other things...
Dagger...

Dagger's come a long way, but then so has everyone.

All overworld monsters are replaced by nastier ones. Basically the stuff we fought in Terra, Pandemonium, Zombie Dragons from the Iifa Tree, etc.

But there are still things I must protect. Seeing this sky convinced me.

I shall see through this battle to the end...

The twelth Stellazzio is on board the Invincible itself.

We'll deliver this baby later on in the update.

Nothing else here besides the Stellazzio and character chat, though.

I'm close to 99 frogs, so I have Quina just clear the marshes out. I'm not going to grind up Frog Drop so once I hit 99 I'm done.

First order of business: Return to Black Mage Village.

I'm asking him about the Genome world.

There's a lot of new dialogue here.

Do you think weapons will disappear when everyone is happy? Does that mean we wouldn't need magic, either?

Gaia is full of unnecessary things...

The main draw though is all the shops have new inventory. The item shop has all the sellable consumables at this point, and the weapon shop has some new stuff, even if most of it is unnecessary.

The Wizard Rod teaches Dagger Curaga, Protect, and Shell, all unnecessary since she's known all White Magic for awhile now. Same deal with Siren's Flute, which teaches Eiko Full-Life, Dispel, and Esuna. The only big get is the Thief Hat for Zidane, which boosts speed by 2 and teaches Long Reach, Lucky Seven, and Mug.

Everyone is back, we have new friends, Bobby Corwen is here... So many great things happened all at once!

I see, so you enclose a captured life-form and conduct research here.

Why do the people of Gaia pay special attention to communication through sound?

There's always light in Terra. The same method wouldn't apply there...

There's probably even more light now that it's constantly in a state of burning.

I wonder why Garland chose the names Kuja, Zidane, and Mikoto for his special genomes.

Why do you think the Genomes and we have so many things in common?
I don't know... Why?
We were manufactured in Alexandria, but that technology wasn't developed by Alexandria...

If Kuja is also a Genome, I wonder how he felt when he manufactured us...

Probably spouted some poetry and mixed some "MWAHAHA"s in while raising his arms in the air. You know, the usual.

What's the point of this? It isn't like the dead would appreciate it.
...You're right, but I don't think we build cemeteries for the dead. Sure, it may seem pointless to you, but... How can I describe it? It's so that we can think like this:

'And we won't let the fear of death, which each of us knows, stop us from living our lives. ...Because my friends will remember me when I'm here.'

Some nice musings here.

The synthesis shop is upgraded as well, and there's some really nice stuff here. In addition to the gems from Daguerreo, we can craft the Masamune for Zidane, which boosts Magic, teaches Sacrifice, and inflicts Doom (and is useless both because we'll get Zidane's ultimate weapon in a few minutes and because Thievery does 7.5k damage at this point so I'm gonna either Steal or use Thievery at all times). The Duel Claws teach Amarant Aura, No Mercy, and Counter with a 25% chance of inflicting Berserk, but are mainly useful as an upgrade since they're his second-best claws. The Priest's Racket teaches Silence and Might and is the second-strongest racket after the Tiger Racket.

On the armor side, the Bracer is the best armlet, boosting Wind damage and teaches Add Status and for Amarant, Power Throw. Power Throw boosts the bonus damage of Throw by 50%, but costs an insanely high 19 stones and is really dumb anyway because I haven't used Throw once yet. The Golden Skullcap halves Earth damage, boosts Water damage, and teaches Locomotion and Power Up, another Amarant-exclusive abilities that doubles the amount Chakra recovers to 40% of a target's max HP and MP. This only costs 4 stones, too, so you might actually use this in some situations. Next, for Steiner and Freya is the Grand Helm, the best helmet, which teaches High Tide and slightly boosts speed. The Brave Suit, the ultimate armor for Zidane and Amarant, boosts Fire damage and teaches Auto-Regen and Restore HP. Similarly, the Grand Armor is the ultimate armor for Steiner and Freya and halves Shadow damage while teaching Chemist and Restore HP. Whew.

Choco's still around and we still get the chill music for it, though for now all we need to do is go to where Shimmering Island was. It's gone now, and because of that we can get the final Dead Pepper treasure and thus finish this sidequest.

10 Aquamarine, the Invincible Card, the Maximillian (Steiner-exclusive armor with a big Spirit boost that teaches HP +20%), and the Ultima Weapon, which is the ultimate weapon (of course) for Zidane. It teaches Flee and inflicts Sleep. It'd be nice if I ever had Zidane attack.

We'll got all the treasures now, but I'll show the resolution of the Chocobo quest line next update.

The events of the Iifa Tree's rise have led to roots growing all over Gaia, which conveniently locks out a lot of areas. Most of the major hubs are accessible like Alexandria, Lindblum, and Treno, but areas like Esto Gaza, Conde Petie, all the various gates, most dungeons, and so on are no longer accessible.

Next up, Daguerreo.

So what do you think of this place? Don't you find it strange that they are keeping all these books in a damp place like this?

It's magic, don't question this stuff.

The Daguerreo weapon shop is the only other location with an upgraded inventory (the synth shop is same as before). The Ultima Sword teaches Stock Break, which deals 150% damage to all enemies with the equipped weapon's element. The Power Wrist boosts strength and teaches Accuracy+. The Steiner-exclusive Aegis Gloves nullify Fire damage and teach him Charge!. The Kaiser Helm for Steiner and Freya teach Eye 4 Eye.

And that's it for shops other than one secret synthesis shop, but we'll get to that a bit later since it's hidden in the final dungeon.

Consider it a dying man's last wish. I will give you something in return.

We'll tackle this one in a bit as well.

That was the only way she could be united with Marcus-in death.
No! It was to prove that she loved Marcus just as much as she loved her father.

The play literally tells you she died because she still loves her father no matter how crazy he is, this was right before a giant bomb appears and blows everyone out, how can you miss the obvious cues you twits.

Too bad we burned it all down, huh?

I kinda stopped bothing giving this guy Kupo Nuts because it's a lot of back-and-forth for mostly minimal gain. The first Kupo Nut you give this guy on Disc 4 gives the final Aloha T-shirt we were missing, so now everyone can chill. Hooray.

Next up, we finally finish frog hunting.

Master Quale...

The final test is a boss fight with Quale. They are by far the most challenging opponent we've faced yet, though of course if you're prepared they're not too bad.

Quale has a variety of attacks like Water and Aqua Breath. Water protection is advised.

Especially since Water can hurt.

The best strategy is to Magic Hammer away Quale's MP pool since it's not that large and since most of Quale's attacks are magical in nature.

Quale can deal some damage, but their real threat is the variety of status effects they can inflict. Blocking Blind, Confuse, Poison, and Silence is wise. Can't block Mini, unfortunately.

Finally, Quale does have a rather devastating physical attack.

But at this point, Quale becomes much less of a threat because that single-target attack is all they can do anymore.

There are nice steals, of course. Elixir, Ninja Gear, Glutton's Robe, and finally the Robe of Lords, the best robe that nullifies Wind damage, boosts each stat by one, and teaches Concentrate and Reflect-Null. Definitely worth going for.

After that, it's simply burning through Quale's huge HP pool under they finally go down.

Our reward is Quina's ultimate weapon. It inflicts Stop and teaches High Tide like all other forks.

That's it for that.

Next, Alexandria.

There's one last chain of Mognet letters to deliver before we can finish it. I'll do part this update and finish it the next.

Anyway, Atla is in Burmecia.

Also, Stiltzkin somehow escaped Terra using that Quina magic or whatever and can sell us some really nice stuff for dirt cheap.

Oh, I wanted to do something for you, 'cause you always buy stuff from me.

By buying everything we could from Stiltzkin, we obtain a Ribbon. Pretty good stuff.

That's it for Alexandria.

Next, Burmecia to visit Atla.

I wonder if I'll start getting mail again when the machine gets fixed, kupo?

Mogryo is in Black Mage Village. We'll be going back there at the end of the update.

I also buy Steepled Hats because now that Black Mage Village has updated their inventory, Atla's the only source of these babies left. I need to do the Cotton Robe trick one more time since there's stuff at Treno I want to buy.

Which means we'll also be returning to Dali! Surprisingly, there's a lot of new dialogue here even though almost everywhere else (namely Alexandria, Lindblum, Daguerreo, and Treno) is the same as Disc 3.

It used to be so nice and sunny. Why are the Mist and the monsters back? It's scary.

Why is her name Bratty Marin when none of what she's said this entire game gives even one hint of her being a brat?

Remember these two? They're the ones running the store here now.

South Gate was destroyed by the giant roots. So, he and I came to this village... We were lucky. Eisha hired us on the spot!

She seemed different from the others when I first met her. I had no job at the time, so I decided to help run the South Gate shop. Then the Mist cleared, and I couldn't get back because the cable car had stopped! So, I ended up staying with her longer than I expected. Now I can't imagine living without her.

It's really nice that these two easily-ignorable side characters (you could theoretically never see them again after Steiner nudges them together near the end of Disc 1) end up having a nice story arc in the background of things.

And also that the woman and her daughter that ran this store finally got their trip. It's a shame they're probably dead now due to the Mist and monsters and all that but oh well.

Anyway, maxing out on Wrists. Once we hit Treno, we'll be rich again.

Man, I wanna go home and play more card games!

Morrid died in yesterday's earthquake.
An earthquake?
You didn't know about the earthquake...? Huge roots, buried under ground, tore open cracks that Mist could escape through. Morrid looked so peaceful, like he was only sleeping... I'm so sad about losing him...

The observatory is inaccessible now, and of course if you didn't finish the coffee quest in Disc 3 you can no longer do it.

r.i.p. Morrid.

It'll probably take at least a year to get the farm back to where it was before.

Seriously, it's amazing how much focus Dali gets for a town you have no reason to return to after your first visit there.

Next up, Treno.

For turning in the twelth Stellazzio, we get the Robe of Lords. Sweet.

According to my information, there are 12 Stellazzio...

Surprise! There's another one!

Yes! There must be a 13th Stellazzio somewhere!

Well, fine! I'll give you all my Stellazzio, and you bring me the 13th!

We'll tackle that in a minute.

There's a new monster here.

This is a FF classic, the Behemoth.

It's vulnerable to petrification.

Our reward is a Circlet. Nice.

To unlock the Magical Fingertip, you have to buy the other rare treasures (Griffin's Artifact, Doga's Artifact, Une's Mirror, and the Rat Tail) and then sell them to nobles in Treno. Then at Disc 4 it'll pop up.

This guy also sells Ribbons now but they're insanely expensive.

I also buy back Doga's Artifact for reasons you'll see shortly.

The Magical Fingertip normally hovers around 40k. I got unlucky but I also don't give a poo poo because I don't need to spend money on much else at this point.

Gogo is a famed mimic in this series, remember.

Also, is that Lady Bandit Ruby the same Ruby with the southern accent, I mean there's no loving way right.

Anyway, let's talk Stellazzio. There's a bunch of clues in each of them, and they focus on sunsets and forests and mountains and the east.

Guess what's in the east, in a mountain, surrounded by forests, which has the best place to view a sunset?

The final Stellazzio is where Scorpio was, back in Quan's Dwelling.

The End.

Give it to me, along with the rest of the Stellazzio I loaned you!

Then begins a rather lengthy cutscene where you give the Stellazzio back, one by one. Joy.

The final reward is Cinna's hammer.

I'm not kidding. This thing is used in an end-game synth and apparently unlocks a minor scene in the ending, though I think another weapon may do that as well? Still not sure how that works, but whatever. At any rate, it's useless right now.

Back to Daguerreo.

Sure why not. We just spend 60k on it, but no biggie, take it for free.

Oh, thank you!!!

What's wrong?
...I used to be a fairly well-known blacksmith.

Few years ago, I read a biography of a great craftsman named Gogo who was known for making dolls that looked like real people. Supposedly, the secret to his extraordinary skill was in his fingers. So, I figured if I could get his fingers and combine them with my skills, I could make a doll that looked like my wife.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I now realize that I must accept who I am and how I have lived my life. Please accept my gratitude. I no longer need it.

The Excalibur is the third-best knight sword (behind Ragnarok and Excalibur II). It's holy-elemental, which is really important, and teaches Climhazzard, which does magical damage to all enemies for twice Steiner's regular attack. Very handy.

Another happy ending. I guess.

Now, to end the update, Black Mage Village again.

A special item? Maybe it's...

Kumool is all the way at Ipsen's Castle. We'll resume this chain next update.

The last thing I'll show off today requires both Doga's Artifact and Une's Mirror.

:siren: :siren:

What? What do you mean?
Some item you have is responding to this machine...

What was that...?
A resident spirit inside an item responded to this amplifier.
What a beautiful song...

The song stems directly from Final Fantasy III.

Doga and Une are characters from that game. Doga controlled the realm of magic, Une the realm of dreams. The dialogue from that conversation seems to be a vague reference to FF3's plot. Kind of a cool callback to some more great music.

Next time, we finish up Disc 4 side quests, including tackling the game's superboss. Good times!

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The hammer and the other thing you were thinking of do both add scenes to the ending. They just add different ones.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I did not know that Bobby Corwen was a reference to Boco. Well intuited.

Usually I stop at 99 - 101 frogs as well, but on my last playthrough I got up to 170 since I never level the characters to 99 and wanted my Level 60 Quina's Frog Drop to hit the damage limit.

I wonder if Mikoto would be the main character if they ever made a IX-2, Heaven forbid. I also wonder how strong she'd be in comparison to Zidane and Kuja.

You're being a little unfair to the Masamune. Its outpaced in terms of damage, but being able to inflict Doom with 100% accuracy is nothing to sneeze at. It makes some encounters (Yans, Behemoths, etc.) a lot more manageable.

Quale is the enemy with the most HP in the game, as a note. The bonus boss is second to him in that regard by about 10,000 HP.

While Mega didn't mention it, you can continue to agree or disagree with one of these guys. If you continue to pick the top options, you'll get a Meteor Card. Picking the bottom options gets you a Holy Card. I don't know what happens if you agree with them equally; probably no reward at all.

Also, the Meteor Card I got only had one arrow on it, so gently caress these guys. :argh:

I didn't get this event to trigger. :smith:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Quale is the enemy with the most HP in the game, as a note. The bonus boss is second to him in that regard by about 10,000 HP.

Quale has a normal death animation. Anything with a fancier death than recoiling and fading does so technically by using a spell, and they trigger when they have 10,000 or less HP to make sure you never sneak past it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Quale has a normal death animation. Anything with a fancier death than recoiling and fading does so technically by using a spell, and they trigger when they have 10,000 or less HP to make sure you never sneak past it.

Surprised they still used that technique since they've used it a lot in the SNES era. I guess if it it still works, might as well stick with it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If it ain't broke....

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Poor Morrid

also I forgot the overworld changed its music at this point
I missed the old music, but I appreciate the bleakness

(and the fact that you can do so many things on disc 4, unlike with FF8)

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Timeine update! The start of disc 4 is on March 4th. The boss fight with Kuja is on February 28th. The evacuation takes place over two days for some reason, and there are a few days between that and the start of disc 4.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Bobby Corwen is the third best chocobo name, behind actual Boco, and Choco.

Also with the Airship change, now if you fly right on top of the sea, it makes swooshy sounds.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Don't feel too bad for Morrid.

Mega64 posted:

I am ready to join my dearly departed wife now.

-----

Our only reward is decoration for the Tantalus pad in Lindblum, and fulfilling the dying wishes of an old man.

:unsmith:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The disc 4 overworld theme is really dull. I know it's supposed to convey a sense of dread, but the only thing it tells me is "go to a town or dungeon ASAP so you can listen to something more interesting"

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Will you be showing off that Lost Nero Family sidequest in Lindblum that took over ten years to discover?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I have to give some props to the city-dialogue writing dudes. It would have been so easy to just slack off.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Wow, never knew about that side thing with Doga and Une's mirrors.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

morallyobjected posted:

The one time I attempted the fight, I actually tried that (which was a big deal for me, because normally I didn't want to refine my cards because I wanted to keep the full set and I didn't know how to properly manipulate the rules to eliminate the annoying ones to get back the ones I'd refined) and still got my rear end kicked because the invulnerability wore off at one point and I got my poo poo wrecked before I had a chance to renew it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

The disc 4 overworld theme is really dull. I know it's supposed to convey a sense of dread, but the only thing it tells me is "go to a town or dungeon ASAP so you can listen to something more interesting"

Agreed. It's why my favorite point of the game is post-Mount Gulug and pre-Shimmering Island. It helps that you can finish most side quests on Disc 3, like Ragtime Mouse and Frog Catching.

LEGO Genetics posted:

Will you be showing off that Lost Nero Family sidequest in Lindblum that took over ten years to discover?

This side quest is tedious as hell, but the reward is good.

W.T. Fits posted:

The one time I attempted the fight, I actually tried that (which was a big deal for me, because normally I didn't want to refine my cards because I wanted to keep the full set and I didn't know how to properly manipulate the rules to eliminate the annoying ones to get back the ones I'd refined) and still got my rear end kicked because the invulnerability wore off at one point and I got my poo poo wrecked before I had a chance to renew it.

It was Terra Break that did you in, wasn't it? That attack is the worst.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Quina should have been able to Eat Quale. :colbert:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE: "No, Gitan. You are the genomes"

Welcome to the You're Not Alone segment (hereafter YNA). Normally, it's remembered for its thematic importance and its wonderful music.

At level 1, it makes that clause technically false. The three fights give 26,376 experience points each. There's free heals in Bran Bal, so Virus and Zombie won't last. The three enemies are immune to Stop and Petrify. There's no way to avoid the exp.

Instead, I have to have one person survive each fight to gain all the levels, then relegate that person to the bench forever.

Keep in mind, everyone's still level one. It's not as simple as it sounds.

First up, Amdusias. Unlike the one Gitan petrified, this one gets a chance to fight back.

Bio is a consistent one hit kill, and Amdusias has 30 speed. Gitan has to have Auto-Life to not die, basically. Thundara is nulled (Adaman Hat) but it's not reliable at all and Auto-Life is the crux of everything, ever.

I do get the chance to drop a Thievery as it flies, at least. Amdusias is listed as having 10,926 HP internally.

Ratchel shows up pretty quick, doesn't matter if Gitan gets a hit in or not.

Owen Wilson shows up soon after, even if he is busy with [INSERT CONTEMPORARY MOVIE REFERENCE LATER]

Ratchel and Gitan off themselves, then Owen Wilson gets a chance to No Mercy it. It should be deceased by the amount of damage dealt. It is not.

Bio is snagged on Auto-Reflect, and Amdusias hits itself for 1,300 or so. That's lethal. I have no idea where its HP goes when someone shows up. The battles can't end until everyone's there, at least.

As far as I know.

26,376 experience is enough to rocket Owen Wilson to level 22 (and a golden globe). This ends Owen Wilson's role in the level 1 game. His major contribution was punching an airship. He was also co-nominated with Wes Anderson for an Oscar for Original Screenplay for The Royal Tenanbaums, but lost to Gosford Park.

No, the Curse scheme never panned out. It was being too fancy.

That was the easy part of YNA.

Abadon has an attack called High Wind, and it's my doom.

It's a nonelemental physical attack with so much attack that it's instantly lethal.

If I had a Robe of Lords, I believe I could do something off of its defense (53 total might've saved Quark's butt) but bllglhlhlglghlhh 10k points

and then it ganks Tinhank with its single-target physical.

This is not an easy segment.

By the way, this is the most recent save point. You have to go through the cutscenes every single time you attempt it.

Unless you use emulator save states.

Amdusias wastes its time floating up and down so Owen Wilson wastes it with a second No Mercy.

Oh, lucky!

Eventually Gitan shows up, which is my mark to

...wipe to High Wind.

Try dear Tinhak! You can

...do it.

GTFO Amdusias.

Oh goddammit

I can't handle this loving bug!

Turns out the secret is a lot of Auto-Life casting, so that I have better control on when someone stays down and so I can actually get poo poo done.

And Tinhank is finally the only survivor and dunks the Abadon.

He takes the EXP for this one. This ends Tinhank's role in the level 1 game. His main contribution is the same as his final act: high-damage physicals.

Good lord we're still not done.

Shell Dragon has 3 moves. Two are nbd. The third is his favorite.

Charge is an all-party nonelemental physical with too much attack to be survivable.

Kukri shows up whenever Gitan hits 1 HP, including through Auto-Life.

Shell Dragon does not appreciate this.

Earth Shake is the same as when Earth Guardian used it.

Including the countermeasures.

Kukri takes the chance to use the best damage option she has against the ice-weak Shell Dragon.

Shiva's rear end, save me from this deadly foe!

gently caress yeah look at that serious damage!

It didn't help but

This time Shell Dragon Smashes Gitan which reduces his HP to 1. It doesn't stop me from using Thievery.

Thankfully he uses Earth Shake so Kukri has a second chance to summon the rear end.

Why is it dealing over a thousand more? Who cares? I won!

Kukri has to take the experience this time, revealing that 26,376 experience puts her coincidentally 16 away from a level. This is the end of Kukri's part of the level 1 run. Her mvp moments are surviving Ark and not surviving Lani.

"Well it's too late now, your little tantrum caused me to gain 21 levels!

"Wait, why were we avoiding these things in the first place?"

For a brief moment my party is fixed as this. It's a drat shame that for a moment I have to see some real numbers. Look! Kukri could survive attacks and cast spells! Tinhank has magic stones to equip auto-life, MP Attack, and a status resist! 32 Strength!

By the way, you can keep Tinhank and Owen Wilson and dump the exp on Ratchel and Quark instead. They can still perform in disc 4, and Tinhank's Charge! is a powerful damage source. Owen Wilson has Aura and a wind-elemental weapon, too.

Kukri is doomed though.

Anyway, the standard crew will take on the boss gauntlet... next time. Ironically it's far, far easier than YNA.

REGISTER OF RESETS:
One to Tidal Flame Garnet for the hell of it; Unknown number lost to plant spiders spawn numbers; died to Flans without Flee; Untimely crit pushed Sealion to fatally Blizzara; less work to suicide on optional Type A fight than to win or reset; incredible number of resets for phoenix down RNG; and then again; Marcus gained levels; Snared by the Mandragoras leaving Quan's Dwelling; Only one on a pointless phoenix down rng; Antlion did not cooperate; Again, Antlion did not cooperate; Soldiers beaten too hard once; twice; thrice; Gitan lied Cleyrans died; Tinhank and Marcus didn't make it; bonus fourth Soldier beating; Alexandrian Gauntlet toll: Beatrix 3, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 2, Beatrix vs Bandersnatch 1, Beatrix 3; Knuckleheaded death to Ralvuimago; Actually two of them; dunked by Hilgigars; Stroper sweepstakes; resources depleted by zombies; Stroper sweepstakes 2; ran out of magic tags; Stroper sweepstakes 3; Auto-Potion; Beaten to Bort; zombie-on-zombie violence; more zombie-on-zombie violence; Stroper sweepstakes 4; Stroper sweepstakes 5; Magic Elevator Ride zombies: Gitan striked, Roulette suicide, Roulette suicide 2, Gitan striked 2; Counter and Auto-Potion do not mix; Ramuh and Shiva insisted on sucking; Forgot the Forgotten chocobo tracks; got hosed up on the way; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph; Epitaph grinding is risky; Desert Palace Random Encounters: Annoying, Dangerous, Random, Bullshit, gently caress, Dammit, Why; Bishop removed Zombie; Grand Dragon Thundaga; Yan'd; Friendly Yan'd; Why did the gargoyle die; these resets aren't alone: Abadon, Abadon, Abadon, Shell Dragon.

Wortpine
Oct 4, 2013

Timeine update! The start of disc 4 is on March 4th. The boss fight with Kuja is on February 28th. The evacuation takes place over two days for some reason, and there are a few days between that and the start of disc 4.

It's actually kinda interesting how the sequences between the opening credits and ending credits at least in FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX and to an extent FFX have a quite short span of story in terms of time that passes during them. I guess these are the ones that have some kind of officialish timelines posted online since I couldn't find anything so precise on the SNES-era games.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ApplesandOranges posted:

Quina should have been able to Eat Quale. :colbert:

I admit, I read that part of the update fully expecting the fight to end that way. It seems like a very Qu thing, to be the new master, you gotta eat the old master. But nope. Sigh. Sad.

Not as sad as seeing three characters get sacrificed, but I guess the run must go on. They will be remembered. Except Amarant, no one gives a poo poo about him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Ophiuchus is interesting. It is IRL colloquially known as the "13th Zodiac Sign" although it is more accurate to say that it is the "13th constellation through which the Sun passes as observed from Earth over the course of a year", which isn't quite as punchy. It briefly caused a stink among people who take astrology really, really seriously after someone read an article written by NASA (for kids) - outlining all this Zodiac business and how it relates to actual astronomy and noting that the constellations considered to be part of it have changed over time - and interpreted it as "NASA is changing the Zodiac signs" and started spreading the word, and, well, followers of astrology aren't really renowned for their rigourous checking of sources. This has happened multiple times. New Scientist has a pretty good explainer of this clusterfuck.

• Locked thread