Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

grack posted:

I've never heard of a fake Lamy 2000, so it may just be differences between manufacturing batches. That said if it doesn't write it doesn't write and whether or not it's fake doesn't really matter.

Unless you don't use a three finger grip, at which point the Safari/Vita/Al Star just won't work.

The Lamy 2000 has been manufactured exactly the same way for a very, very long time. It doesn't really have differences between batches.

Pens are one of the few things I'm hesitant to buy from Amazon. Without being able to get the merchandise in my hands before I buy it I really need to be able to trust the seller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Marketfair Stationery and Junipers' have been good to me. The fake Safari I got was from Amazon directly, and was two dollars more expensive than the real one I got from Junipers'.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

When I was looking up info on counterfeit Safaris I came upon a Chinese guy selling Lamy 2000 knockoffs that were clear and used Safari nibs. Except for being clear it looked very convincing. He wasn't selling them as Lamy pens though, just as copies. Googling around there isn't a ton of info but they are out there.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I washed my Vanishing Point, as in washed it with the laundry. :psypop: Thought the loud clacking noise when I threw my clothes into the washer was just a zipper/button/clasp since it was all buttondowns and business slacks. Nope, it was a pen :suicide:

The whole drat thing came apart in the dryer, but the only thing that was really wrong (other than the nib and a couple hundred bucks worth of clothes - until I washed them a couple times) was that the clip assembly came off since (I assume) the glue holding it to the barrel melted. The threaded neck where you insert the nib/feed/reservoir/converter assembly was slightly dented out of round but I was able to pry that back into place. Lined the clip part up with the little marks in the barrel where they'd always been and put a bead of glue in there to fix it in place.

The nib, a medium, was a complete loss. As you'd expect when you throw a relatively weighty pen in a metal drum and let it clang around for over an hour under water, and then throw it in another metal drum and let it clang around in the heat. The dryer was covered with blue smudges on the inside where the pen bashed against the wall, but that was easily wiped down. I finally had a no-poo poo excuse to buy a Fine nib for the drat thing, though, so after a week of giving my other pens more use than they normally get, I received the new pen guts in the mail. Inked the bastard with Noodler's Polar Green and it turns out that poo poo might as well have been diluted with solvents, since it scratched like I was trying to write with a syringe. Granted, the Polar Green gives me issues with the F nib on my Al-Star and the F nib on my Metro, but I just assumed that since this was a higher-end pen it would be a little more tolerant of the frankenblend from Massachusetts.

Flushed it, filled back up with Iroshizuku, writes like a dream. A++ would be a dumbass again.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

rio posted:

When I was looking up info on counterfeit Safaris I came upon a Chinese guy selling Lamy 2000 knockoffs that were clear and used Safari nibs. Except for being clear it looked very convincing. He wasn't selling them as Lamy pens though, just as copies. Googling around there isn't a ton of info but they are out there.

What was the price on these? I don't care much for counterfeits, but I'd be happy to write with a Lamy style pen that could change nibs. I'd have bought a 2000 already if nibs could be changed as easily as their other pens.

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LAMY-2000-Hnadmade-custum-Transparent-Fountain-Pen-F-nib-/252286929138?hash=item3abd7908f2:g:uQoAAOSwuAVWwGbr

Only 20% more expensive than the real thing! I'll just stick with my VP.

bobfather fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Nov 3, 2016

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

If you want a cheap Chinese Safari knockoff, look for Jinhao 599, you can get them for a few bucks on Ebay. Goulet Pens has a post about Jinhao x450/x750 nib swapping, but I'm not sure how easy it is with the 599.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

bobfather posted:

What was the price on these? I don't care much for counterfeits, but I'd be happy to write with a Lamy style pen that could change nibs. I'd have bought a 2000 already if nibs could be changed as easily as their other pens.

Edit: Nevermind, found it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/LAMY-2000-Hnadmade-custum-Transparent-Fountain-Pen-F-nib-/252286929138?hash=item3abd7908f2:g:uQoAAOSwuAVWwGbr

Only 20% more expensive than the real thing! I'll just stick with my VP.

I can't find the link to the clear one but here is a see through blue. It is like 40 bucks from china but I don't know how much the shipping would be.

http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=35656107130&fromSite=main

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Bourricot posted:

If you want a cheap Chinese Safari knockoff, look for Jinhao 599, you can get them for a few bucks on Ebay. Goulet Pens has a post about Jinhao x450/x750 nib swapping, but I'm not sure how easy it is with the 599.

It's really easy to do, the 599s have standard friction fit #5 nibs.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Alrighty, that TWSBI-like Wing Sung 698 piston filler showed up today, and I've had about an hour to mess around with it so here's some thoughts:

-The pen is really quite well made. The component fit is spot on, no extraneous grease, rough threads, etc. The quality of the plastic is pretty decent.
-Ink capacity is excellent, I measured ~1.6ml
-Nib and feed are Pilot "Super Quality" compatible and the included F nib was reasonably smooth and well adjusted out of the package.
-The thing posts securely, which is a step up from most TWSBIs
-The piston mechanism is kind of interesting. The piston mechanism doesn't "back out" of the barrel, so the mechanism can't be removed. However, you can take the plunger out by unscrewing the section from the pen and extending the plunger out all the way. This seems to be a conscious design choice. Piston mechanism can be removed easily and without tools.
-Pen included instructions (in Chinese) as well as a stoppered converter filled with silicone grease.

All in all, for $20 this is a hell of a nice pen. I'm very impressed altogether.

grack fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Nov 4, 2016

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Where did you get it from?

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

NeurosisHead posted:

The Lamy 2000 has been manufactured exactly the same way for a very, very long time. It doesn't really have differences between batches.

Pens are one of the few things I'm hesitant to buy from Amazon. Without being able to get the merchandise in my hands before I buy it I really need to be able to trust the seller.

That's why I always buy from prime sellers since amazon has a great return policy. Otherwise it's a headache from third party people.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Heath posted:

Where did you get it from?

eBay

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I guess today is International Fountain Pen Day.

The "official" list of deals is pretty disapointing, has anybody found any decent sales?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I just wanted to say thanks thread for turning me on to fountain pens! Wound up buying two a year or so ago and just fell in love with how effortless writing and sketching became.

If anyone is curious about waterproof inks good for sketching, Platinum's Carbon Black ink is out of this world. I've been using it heavily with watercolors for years and haven't had a run yet.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I'm looking for some recommendations for a fountain pen (or pens) with a smooth, juicy broad nib around or under $150. Out of my 32 pens I finally got a broad Safari nib to try and I realized that the size is not too big and I actually really like it. The Lamy 2000 clone or bad quality that I got off Amazon was my second and was a disappointment and I am thinking of putting that returned money into another pen - if it is less than 150 then I can get more pens! But I don't mind spending the full amount on one or if it is a good one.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

rio posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations for a fountain pen (or pens) with a smooth, juicy broad nib around or under $150. Out of my 32 pens I finally got a broad Safari nib to try and I realized that the size is not too big and I actually really like it. The Lamy 2000 clone or bad quality that I got off Amazon was my second and was a disappointment and I am thinking of putting that returned money into another pen - if it is less than 150 then I can get more pens! But I don't mind spending the full amount on one or if it is a good one.

I'm doing all my notes with a TWSBI mini and a TWSBI 580 using broad nibs on both. The flow is nicely wet on the medium-quality pads of paper I use, but it feathers and bleeds through (stays legible at least) on cheap copy paper--I have finer nibs for both pens to use at conferences where I expect to scribble on handouts or business cards.

Out of 32 pens I'd be pretty surprised if you didn't already have a TWSBI, though.

Secret Santa sign-ups should be going live before the end of the weekend. I'm just hashing out the guideline details. If anyone has a template for a Google Sheet to track your ink collection, lemme know and I'll include it.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 5, 2016

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

rio posted:

TWSBI Eco

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Yep. I also have a Nemosine Singularity that came with a nice smooth broad nib, but the smoothest and juiciest I own is on a Faber-Castell Loom. The same nibs are on almost all the Design pens, so you can scale the cost of that one up and down as you like, though I don't really recommend the Basic.

I'm just starting to get into broad nibs. The only expensive pen I have with one is a Lamy Scala Blue-Black with a 14k nib. It's a bit finicky, but I have come to love it.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

grack posted:

Alrighty, that TWSBI-like Wing Sung 698 piston filler showed up today, and I've had about an hour to mess around with it so here's some thoughts:

-The pen is really quite well made. The component fit is spot on, no extraneous grease, rough threads, etc. The quality of the plastic is pretty decent.
-Ink capacity is excellent, I measured ~1.6ml
-Nib and feed are Pilot "Super Quality" compatible and the included F nib was reasonably smooth and well adjusted out of the package.
-The thing posts securely, which is a step up from most TWSBIs
-The piston mechanism is kind of interesting. The piston mechanism doesn't "back out" of the barrel, so the mechanism can't be removed. However, you can take the plunger out by unscrewing the section from the pen and extending the plunger out all the way. This seems to be a conscious design choice. Piston mechanism can be removed easily and without tools.
-Pen included instructions (in Chinese) as well as a stoppered converter filled with silicone grease.

All in all, for $20 this is a hell of a nice pen. I'm very impressed altogether.

Isn't TWSBI actually a Chinese company too? Or maybe Taiwanese? They have facilities in Taiwan and the mainland, I know that much.

Fun fact: Wing Sung is a Cantonese reading of 永生 - which you can see on the package. It means eternal life. If you want to scan the instructions I'll translate 'em.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Isn't TWSBI actually a Chinese company too? Or maybe Taiwanese? They have facilities in Taiwan and the mainland, I know that much.

Fun fact: Wing Sung is a Cantonese reading of 永生 - which you can see on the package. It means eternal life. If you want to scan the instructions I'll translate 'em.

They're Taiwanese.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

TWSBI is Taiwanese, the Wing Sung trademark is owned by Hero, which is Chinese. To be honest the design and manufacturing seems to be all over the place. The plastic seems to be a little bit better than the 659, the design is obviously inspired by the TWSBI 540/580, and the nib and feed are (apparently) made on old Pilot tooling. Time will tell how well it stands up to regular use.

Also, thanks for the offer for translation but I'm not worried about it. I thought it was just interesting that it was included at all since no other Chinese pen I've bought ever had instructions.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

rio posted:

Buy $150 of Jinhaos from different sellers on Amazon. At least one of them'll be both broad and smooth!

Well, asian Broad, which is probably not what you want. The correct choice is probably "a Pelikan." It'll certainly be broad enough and wet enough, although I'm not sure how much Pelikan $150'll get you these days. Maybe an M2nn?

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

atholbrose posted:

Yep. I also have a Nemosine Singularity that came with a nice smooth broad nib, but the smoothest and juiciest I own is on a Faber-Castell Loom.

I want to like the Loom, but when I look at Faber-Castell's fountain pens, all I see is drugstore liquid eyeliner bottles.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
If you have something that a #6 nib will fit on, the Goulet broad nibs are pretty nice.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

Everything Burrito posted:

If you have something that a #6 nib will fit on, the Goulet broad nibs are pretty nice.

Agreed.

Jinhao x750 (these all seem to be pretty wet feeds) + Goulet nib (all mine are smooth, only one needed a minor alignment) is probably your cheapest choice.

My Jinhao x750 is wet enough that it's my new Emerald of Chivor pen, beating out my 2nd Lamy Al-Star.

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord
My Sailor Pro Gear Slim finally arrived along with some yama-budo and syo-ro. First gold nib and first iroshizuku, today was a good FP day.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Pixelante posted:

I want to like the Loom, but when I look at Faber-Castell's fountain pens, all I see is drugstore liquid eyeliner bottles.

I have issues with my Loom. The trim at the base of the cap always comes off, it scratches and marks very easily, both cap and body (mine lives in a pen wrap), and mine likes to leak ink all over my hand if I grip it too close to where the feed meets the metal body.

Other than that the nib is lovely, but I'll be swapping it out for a different daily driver sooner rather than later.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thanks for the recommendations. I ordered a Loom, and I have an X750 that I put a Zebra G nib in that is not working out well so I will order a broad nib for that too. I'd like to find a nice gold broad nib pen too - my dad's old cross pen is a medium but it wrote like a broad...until I dropped it and hosed up the nib. I bent it back as well as I could and it writes nicely now but as a medium. I'm not sure why it wrote so thick but he used it daily for like 15 years. Anyway, that pen was like butter and I'd like to find another gold nib like that some day. I'm looking forward to the Loom though - seems like a neat pen.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

:toot: Fountain Pen Secret Santa is live! :toot:

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Woohoo!

I got my broad nib Loom in the mail today. It is definitely one of my favorite pens now! Feels great, writes great, looks great (I got piano black so the cap doesn't look too much like lipstick). Really a great pen overall. One question though. It came with two cartridges. One blue and the other is an empty cartridge with no back on it? I'm not sure what it's supposed to be used for.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

rio posted:

I got my broad nib Loom in the mail today. It is definitely one of my favorite pens now! Feels great, writes great, looks great (I got piano black so the cap doesn't look too much like lipstick). Really a great pen overall. One question though. It came with two cartridges. One blue and the other is an empty cartridge with no back on it? I'm not sure what it's supposed to be used for.

Faber-Castell's steel nibs are a thing of beauty.

The weird cartridge is to help with cleaning; easier to fit a bulb syringe in the open end.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I pulled out my 3776 Sai this morning and remembered I had it inked with a sample of Berning Red :sigh:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I've just started mocking up pen display stands I'd like to ultimately sell. Right now I'm working with 3D printing but ultimately I'm thinking these will be cast from resin or plastic. What would you guys like in a display stand?

And I have some printed first versions here: http://imgur.com/a/dRFk8

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
Thanks to this thread I fell in love with fountain pens and have a few bottles of ink now. How should I store them? The bottles come in wildly different sizes and I'm not really sure what to do other than "use an upright container."

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Thanks to this thread I fell in love with fountain pens and have a few bottles of ink now. How should I store them? The bottles come in wildly different sizes and I'm not really sure what to do other than "use an upright container."

I bought one of those $4 memory boxes from Michael's meant to hold photographs. (They often go on sale for $1.50.) It's tall enough for most inks. I keep the box on a shelf.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

FP Secret Santa has enough players to run, but it's kind of a dudefest right now.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Megabound posted:

I've just started mocking up pen display stands I'd like to ultimately sell. Right now I'm working with 3D printing but ultimately I'm thinking these will be cast from resin or plastic. What would you guys like in a display stand?

And I have some printed first versions here: http://imgur.com/a/dRFk8

My deal breaker for pen stands is to be able to hold them vertically. So regardless of how they look, I will not get a stand that holds fountain pens horizontally. Might be something to consider, although maybe others are not as strict as I am about it.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

rio posted:

My deal breaker for pen stands is to be able to hold them vertically. So regardless of how they look, I will not get a stand that holds fountain pens horizontally. Might be something to consider, although maybe others are not as strict as I am about it.

I'm putting together some vertical stands now as I've has a couple requests for them, thanks for the input!

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Pixelante posted:

FP Secret Santa has enough players to run, but it's kind of a dudefest right now.

I want to but right now I need to curtail all extraneous expenses.

Everybody else should join, though! It's always fun to wrap up a box of goodies for strangers.

effika fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I picked up a TWSBI ECO in white with a F nib the other day and I am really digging it so far. It writes smoothly and the sweet spot on the nib is easy to rotate to as a lefty. My previous daily carry was a M nibbed Safari but as a lefty I had trouble with my weird hook grip and keeping the pen rotated correctly. I am probably going to need to find something to keep this in to keep it from getting scratched up though. It certainly doesn't look as durable as the matte ABS of the Safari I have.

I have also been messing around with the Noodler's Ahab I've had for the last four months or so. I've realized that my writing is too poo poo to actually use a flex nib for anything useful and I've considered throwing a normal nib on this pen and using it that way. I hear the Goulet nibs aren't terrible. Is there something else anyone would suggest other than them?