Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

+2 Dallasites down for Krooked Killary yesterday. Everyone else at the polls were two or more combinations of old, fat and white.

Votes succesfully wasted!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Badger of Basra posted:

I'm so mad we're going to elect another Bush as governor who has done nothing besides come out of the uterus of a woman also with the last name Bush.

If you want to get mad, read about what he has done during his time as Texas Land Commissioner. Basically kick out anyone qualified already working in the office and hire his cronies. (that are bad at their job) After they "won" their (uncontested) election, his cronies started wearing "P" hats all over the Capitol.

Aliquid posted:

Are we? This is Jeb's child.
Lol, love this post.

Badger of Basra posted:

P is voting for the man who slandered his father and uncle (and grandfather, I might have missed that) anyway because he is a coward.

This combined with the changing electorate is why P will not become our next Gov. I assume Abbott will run one more time, so P couldn't run until 2022.

Imagine an ad with Trump's voice playing ripping on W, then HW, then JEB, then Columba. Followed by audio of P encouraging people to vote Trump. Then a narrator says something along the lines of "P wouldn't stand up for his own family, how can we rely on him to stand up for the people of Texas?"

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Nov 6, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Reminder:

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/747543363495202817

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Texas GOPers are really their own worst enemies given the organizational dysfunction of the TDP. Demographics help but won't automatically translate into people showing up and voting without a concerted effort to turn them out, or barring that, the Republicans completely blowing it and doing something crazy, like nominating an explicitly anti-Mexican racist ... oh poo poo.

They need to purge the Sid Millers, Dan Patricks and Ted Cruzes from the party or they're going to be in trouble. I think they'll muddle through for awhile, but eventually it will catch up to them and I will live to see it.

Related: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/11/04/the-brief/

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Spacebump posted:

This combined with the changing electorate is why P will not become our next Gov. I assume Abbott will run one more time, so P couldn't run until 2022.

Imagine an ad with Trump's voice playing ripping on W, then HW, then JEB, then Columba. Followed by audio of P encouraging people to vote Trump. Then a narrator says something along the lines of "P wouldn't stand up for his own family, how can we rely on him to stand up for the people of Texas?"

I don't think P will want to run until 2022. He's gonna complete this term in the Land Commission, maybe take another (or run for Comptroller), then shoot for the top spot. Then he will be able to talk about his "years of experience" and everyone will have forgotten about Trump. Also, demographic changes aren't nearly as bad for him as for other statewide Republicans. The Bushes have always had strong support in the Latino community (with George W getting the highest percentage of the Latino vote for a Republican presidential candidate in memory), and George P is a half-Mexican kid who speaks fluent Spanish. If the GOP weren't suicidally racist, they would be hoping for him to continue to succeed and be out there in public as someone to bring more of the Latino community into their fold.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Wikkheiser posted:

Texas GOPers are really their own worst enemies given the organizational dysfunction of the TDP. Demographics help but won't automatically translate into people showing up and voting without a concerted effort to turn them out, or barring that, the Republicans completely blowing it and doing something crazy, like nominating an explicitly anti-Mexican racist ... oh poo poo.

They need to purge the Sid Millers, Dan Patricks and Ted Cruzes from the party or they're going to be in trouble. I think they'll muddle through for awhile, but eventually it will catch up to them and I will live to see it.

Related: https://www.texastribune.org/2016/11/04/the-brief/

Yeah. I'm struck how the statewide office holders seem to get more and more wingnutty every election and I'm not at all convinced the state as a whole is moving in that direction. Feels like something's gotta give at some point.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Demographics make them long term losers but the question is just how bad can the Texas GOP make the state before the tide turns. I can't imagine the shitshow we'd have if Straus wasn't House Speaker.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Demographics make them long term losers but the question is just how bad can the Texas GOP make the state before the tide turns. I can't imagine the shitshow we'd have if Straus wasn't House Speaker.

Still haven't passed a Prop 13 so they're still better than the California GOP.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

computer parts posted:

Thank God they're stuck on bathrooms and border security for the forseeable future

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

What do you think Dan Patrick's traveling property tax airing of grievances is for?

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Badger of Basra posted:

P is voting for the man who slandered his father and uncle (and grandfather, I might have missed that) anyway because he is a coward.

Slandered? He said plenty about them that was mean, but did he make poo poo up about them like he did with Cruz's dad? Plenty of true stuff you can say to a Republican audience previously in denial to destroy the Bush family without having to lie.

Number Ten Cocks fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 6, 2016

foot
Mar 28, 2002

why foot why
I would think P would be madder about Trump poo poo-talking his mother.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
So is anyone planning to do something on Election Day? I'm gonna head to my favorite Ethiopian place and get drunk on honey wine as the results come in.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Viola the Mad posted:

So is anyone planning to do something on Election Day? I'm gonna head to my favorite Ethiopian place and get drunk on honey wine as the results come in.
I'm going to be in Austin visiting a friend and we're going to be hitting up some election night parties. Probably city council candidate parties, maybe the Dems. Dunno.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wikkheiser posted:

I'm going to be in Austin visiting a friend and we're going to be hitting up some election night parties. Probably city council candidate parties, maybe the Dems. Dunno.

im going to be posting like a mofo in CSPAM and laughing my rear end off at all the idiots crying

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

blue squares posted:

im going to be posting like a mofo in CSPAM and laughing my rear end off at all the idiots crying
I will try to follow on my phone but I think it'll be in vain.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Viola the Mad posted:

I'm gonna be working, getting home just late enough to enjoy when the real drama starts happening, then enjoying the next day off to just bask.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Viola the Mad posted:

I'm working like normal on Election Day, so I'll come home and start drinking and watch the results come in.

I have Wednesday off so I can really savor the reaction from talk radio and the Internet.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Don Zimmerman accepted my friend request

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Viola the Mad posted:

Is Aster's any good?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

foot posted:

I would think P would be madder about Trump poo poo-talking his mother.

JEB side of the family didn't inherit a spine.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I think I'm going to take a sleeping pill around 6pm and go to bed.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

MariusLecter posted:

Is Aster's any good?

Aster's is quite good. Taste of Ethiopia is amazing though. It's been one of my favorite places for years. I haven't been to the South Congress location since it opened, but it looks to be just as good as the original location in Pflugerville. As much as I dislike Yelp, a loving tiny Ethiopian food place is Pflugerville loving Texas, made their top 100 in the US list, which finally got me to go out there, and it was definitely worth it.

The owner is also one of the nicest people I have ever met. She moved from Ethiopia to Texas a while back, and opened up the place cooking her family recipes. She has been there every time I have ever gone, and she talks to every table unless she can tell they just want to chill without being bothered. We went the night that Yelp top 100 list came out, and she had no idea. I showed her the list on my phone and she started bawling and laughing at the same time, barely coherently mumbling about just wanting to make people happy.

Messir Wot and Doro Wot are both awesome, but the Lamb Tibbs is easily one of my top 3 favorite things that I have ever eaten. Seriously, go to this place.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

is this a cry for help

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I've hosted some fun 'drink to forget or just to get drunk' parties in the past, but my schedule has me off at 22:00 now and I doubt there will be too much drama left at that point. So probably just lurking the forums at work.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Gonna try to find somewhere in Houston to go on Tuesday night

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Doom Rooster posted:

Taste of Ethiopia is amazing though.

Seconding this. Good any way you can get it, but it's amazing with friends/family.

For my bit on election night, I'm probably gonna kick it at home with some booze and slow cooked something-or-other, watching the coverage and checking SA a lot.

isk fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 7, 2016

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zwabu posted:

Yeah. I'm struck how the statewide office holders seem to get more and more wingnutty every election and I'm not at all convinced the state as a whole is moving in that direction. Feels like something's gotta give at some point.
I'm also thinking that Kyle Biedermann, a.k.a Gay Hitler, getting elected (unopposed) to represent the Hill Country in the state House on Tuesday might be the beginning of a shark jumping moment.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

try to not OD

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Viola the Mad posted:

Sitting at my desk 13,000 km from Texas watching grainy results on AFN

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

I kinda love Wells Dunbar's twitter

https://twitter.com/WellsDunbar/status/795616567895740417

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
How did early voting go? You guys have a shot at going blue or what?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Early voting for my county (Bexar) went really well. Texas turning blue? Probably not for another 10 to 12 years.

Bexar had 436, 731 early voters compared to 2012's count of 374,000, which sounds great, but Bexar also has 120,000 more registered voters now (1.04M) than 2012 (920K).

Percentage wise it's still about a 1.5% uptick over 2012 (42% to 40.5%) so that's encouraging a little. Voter turnout in 2012 was a little over 56%. If that increases at all I'd be happy. It's supposed to rain here tomorrow though, I hope that doesn't depress turnout (which it probably will).

I wonder what would happen if we could actually get turnout into the 80% range.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

isk posted:

Seconding this. Good any way you can get it, but it's amazing with friends/family.

Thirding. Awesome spot. I highly recommend the lunch buffet to sample different dishes!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

skipdogg posted:

I wonder what would happen if we could actually get turnout into the 80% range.

At 80% turnout in Texas' 15 biggest counties, the Republican gerrymander would easily break.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
In Travis County (Austin) about 51% of registered voters voted early. This beats (barely) the 2008 early voting record of 49.6 percent. In 2012, our early voting turnout was 37%.

Tlacuache
Jul 3, 2007
Cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head.

Viola the Mad posted:

I'm gonna use my "I Voted" sticker to get all the free poo poo I can, then come home and drink and watch Babylon 5.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Babylon 5 is good.

Ceiling fan posted:

How did early voting go? You guys have a shot at going blue or what?
It'd be a giant, freak polling error. If Hillary can get it within a few percentage point that'd be something. The problem is that the 16 point margin Romney racked up was like 1.5 million votes. That's a huge number of votes Democrats have to make up with zero organization.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Number_6 posted:

In Travis County (Austin) about 51% of registered voters voted early. This beats (barely) the 2008 early voting record of 49.6 percent. In 2012, our early voting turnout was 37%.

Because we're so gerrymandered, does this affect anything other than Doggett MoV, keeping that nice Republican out of the commissioner's seat, Prop 1, or (please give me hope) City Council place 6?

edit that's also my prediction: +16 down to +4, and that's good enough imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Aliquid posted:

At 80% turnout in Texas' 15 biggest counties, the Republican gerrymander would easily break.

Not going to hold my breath on that one. There are a few seats that could turn if we're mega lucky, but looking at margins I still get the sense that Texas will need a bigger wave then what we can expect in order to shift things significantly.