Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
For some reason i assumed the doom guy was from doom 3 but turns out hes just some dude with angel powers. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Iretep posted:

For some reason i assumed the doom guy was from doom 3 but turns out hes just some dude with angel powers. :smith:

I think I know why you think that, and he very well could be. He could be the Doomguy from the first two games. Or he could be some dude with angel powers.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Perhaps he is Doom Comic Guy, and the primary unspoken feature of the armor is to muffle the endless torrent of inane one-liners issuing forth from his mouth.

Or perhaps he is Doom Novel Guy, and the helmet subtly and continuously sprays him in the face with a mist of lemon scent to keep him permanently enraged.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Fish Noise posted:

Or perhaps he is Doom Novel Guy, and the helmet subtly and continuously sprays him in the face with a mist of lemon scent to keep him permanently enraged.

Also something something Mormons.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Iretep posted:

I'm choose to believe the Doomslayer lore is embellished to make demon leaders/church look better.

How's he kicking our asses, uh, angel powers also we totally meant to collapse the temple on him, on purpose. The part where he killed the baddest demon we had? All part of the plan.

Demons are notoriously untrustworthy narrators.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I don't know.

If you can't trust The Father of Lies, who can you trust, really?

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

So this is actually making me curious about the plot - if our guy is an ancient sword-wielding doomslayer man, where'd he get the power armour from? Evidently significantly before it was a thing on Earth?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Crazy Achmed posted:

So this is actually making me curious about the plot - if our guy is an ancient sword-wielding doomslayer man, where'd he get the power armour from? Evidently significantly before it was a thing on Earth?

The theory I've heard, that I love, is that the DOOMSLAYER is the original Doomguy, the one who hates Hell for murdering his pet bunny. Basically, Doom 64 ended with him going to stay in Hell so it couldn't start any poo poo. The idea is, he stayed in hell, he hosed up their poo poo, helping anyone in another dimension trying to deal with them, thus the legend, and eventually he was pulled out by another Earth once the demons trapped him.

One hell for multiple Earths. And a very angry space marine killing enough demons for all of them.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

KDavisJr posted:

I think I know why you think that, and he very well could be. He could be the Doomguy from the first two games. Or he could be some dude with angel powers.

He could also very well be both :v:

GunnerJ posted:

I have no idea why they started intentionally foiling backtracking attempts. Alexy didn't show it off, but there's a gap between the platform where he realized he needed to go back and an earlier part of the level that you can absolutely double jump across, except that they went out of their way to put up an invisible wall on the other side so that any attempt to do that resulted in falling to your death. There's no reason for this. You can only make the jump one way due to the elevation. Just a baffling misstep in design from earlier levels.

(It took me so long to figure out that I could walk up the chains, before that I kept trying and failing to jump to the stairs in that same area with them.)

I didn't ever find that specific gap you're talking about, but that's not the only spot where the game puts random invisible walls to prevent the player from going somewhere. I'd be fine with invisible walls if they were consistent, which they are not.

Crazy Achmed posted:

A legit spoiler incoming:
It was forged for him by a renegade demon. There will be another trip to Hell and more Slayer's Testament stones, which is where we learn this

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

chiasaur11 posted:

The theory I've heard, that I love, is that the DOOMSLAYER is the original Doomguy, the one who hates Hell for murdering his pet bunny. Basically, Doom 64 ended with him going to stay in Hell so it couldn't start any poo poo. The idea is, he stayed in hell, he hosed up their poo poo, helping anyone in another dimension trying to deal with them, thus the legend, and eventually he was pulled out by another Earth once the demons trapped him.

One hell for multiple Earths. And a very angry space marine killing enough demons for all of them.

The real question for me is why they didn't just kill him if they could remove his armor and store him and his armor in separate boxes.

eta: I do have a theory but it's reliant on endgame stuff. I also like the fact that this game is 100% enjoyable without ever thinking about its plot, but its backstory and plot and characterization have just enough going on that you can talk about it like this.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 6, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

GunnerJ posted:

The real question for me is why they didn't just kill him if they could remove his armor and store him and his armor in separate boxes.
Because then we'd have a fetch quest and who wants to go through one of those?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

That was an impressive double kill at 20:25

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

GunnerJ posted:

The real question for me is why they didn't just kill him if they could remove his armor and store him and his armor in separate boxes

If they kill him, there's a chance his soul would go to hell. And then they're right back at square one.

I do wonder what Heaven makes of the Doom marine. "Hey, check out this mortal fighting...holy crap check out this guy!"

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
They need to make a couple of Heaven levels

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
They'd just be full of angels high-fiving and eating popcorn.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

the voice at the beginning of the game? That's the Voice of God. Go kick some rear end!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

double nine posted:

the voice at the beginning of the game? That's the Voice of God. Go RIP AND TEAR!

FTFY
E: fixed again

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Nov 6, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

If they kill him, there's a chance his soul would go to hell. And then they're right back at square one.

I do wonder what Heaven makes of the Doom marine. "Hey, check out this mortal fighting...holy crap check out this guy!"

1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro on Mars, and from walking up and down in it. 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Doomguy, that there is none like him in the earth, a violent and an upright man, one that feareth pretty much nothing, and smiteth the hell out of evil? 1:9 Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Doomguy fear God for nought? 1:10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his praetorian armor, and about all the manifold weaponry thou hath given him? thou hast blessed the ripping and tearing of his hands, and his healthbar is increased in the land. 1:11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face. 1:12 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD and Lo, Satan was stomped a new mudhole.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

1:6 Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. 1:7 And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro on Mars, and from walking up and down in it. 1:8 And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Doomguy, that there is none like him in the earth, a violent and an upright man, one that feareth pretty much nothing, and smiteth the hell out of evil? 1:9 Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, Doth Doomguy fear God for nought? 1:10 Hast not thou made an hedge about him, and about his praetorian armor, and about all the manifold weaponry thou hath given him? thou hast blessed the ripping and tearing of his hands, and his healthbar is increased in the land. 1:11 But put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face. 1:12 And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD and Lo, Satan was stomped a new mudhole.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

chiasaur11 posted:

Selections from The Book of Doomguy.

If Doomguy is undergoing a futuristic retelling of Job, one has to wonder what'll happen when God decides he's suffered enough and rewards him for his piety.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
drat, finally got caught up with this.

The whole "harvesting interdimensional energy from Hell" thing reminds me a bit of a comic miniseries from DC called "Earth Defense Force" where a special ops military group made to fight aliens winds up getting embroiled with demons instead. But it ends with the American military literally invading hell to seize one of its outer layers as a strategic asset and controlling a couple of the demons to set up a puppet government to secure their interests in the area.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

lol, I just realized Hayden's been going on about his good intentions.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I really like this take on Doomguy. His entire attitude in the first "episode" was fury and disgust over another bunch of idiots who clearly thought that exploiting Hell was completely safe because nothing bad could possibly happen to them. Because he's seen it all before, and he knows exactly where it ends up. Pass the loving chainsaw, here we go again.

White Coke posted:

If Doomguy is undergoing a futuristic retelling of Job, one has to wonder what'll happen when God decides he's suffered enough and rewards him for his piety.

That was the 90s Doom titles (or if we're being nasty, Doom 3).

This is his eternal reward.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

lol, I just realized Hayden's been going on about his good intentions.

The road to hell ...

He's such a self-righteous prick it's wonderful. Except the exposition bs.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
...and then you realize that [wink]the one thing he did right, he did RIGHT[/wink]

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Alexeythegreat posted:

...and then you realize that [wink]the one thing he did right, he did RIGHT[/wink]

I don't get it. Are you talking about Doomguy killing a shitton of demons? Seems alright to me so far.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

double nine posted:

The road to hell ...

He's such a self-righteous prick it's wonderful. Except the exposition bs.

Eh, I can't blame him for trying to keep a decent supply of Argent energy going, what with the whole his body needs that to survive, and all.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Also I mean he's not wrong that cutting it off at this point means mass dieoffs for humanity.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

GunnerJ posted:

Also I mean he's not wrong that cutting it off at this point means mass dieoffs for humanity.

As opposed to a total die off if the demons come through. He probably thinks he can use Argent Energy to beat Hell though. They were doing so well for a while.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

White Coke posted:

As opposed to a total die off if the demons come through. He probably thinks he can use Argent Energy to beat Hell though. They were doing so well for a while.

No difference there. They are running out of fissionables. Fossil fuels are long gone. It's Argent energy or extinction and the only difference a sucessful hell invasion would make would be to make the latter a bit faster.

And no, his wildcard to beat back Hell is a different, and very obvious, one.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Also not all humans would die if Hell wins possibly, although any who don't might wish they had! :v:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I too, made the mistake of choosing precision mode the first time I played the game.
If only I had realized that both options immediately got mobility upgrades.

Also, Hayden is a super cool frienemy and I appreciate the fact that Demons Inc is run by a cool and surprisingly competent dude.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I think UAC propaganda is confusing "demons" with "bears."

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

There's a funny audio issue at 2:40, please don't change it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Good catch re. the Summoner/Archville.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

gently caress off Batman posted:

There's a funny audio issue at 2:40, please don't change it.

It's not audio, it's my voice :v:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FoolyCharged posted:

I too, made the mistake of choosing precision mode the first time I played the game.
If only I had realized that both options immediately got mobility upgrades.

Also, Hayden is a super cool frienemy and I appreciate the fact that Demons Inc is run by a cool and surprisingly competent dude.

he is the prince of lies himself

S. Hayden

Satan

it makes the whole story quite interesting when you realise that

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
So, as a couple of things. In Doom 3, Hell is quite clearly HELL, because it's got weird, shifting architecture and the shades of the dead. In Doom 1, 2 and 2016 it seems way more just like an alien dimension. Like, there's no sign that the dead, even the super big jackasses, ever ended up there. Also interesting to note that none of the humans Hayden brought with him to Hell ever came back, he quite clearly had a pack of guards that one time we saw him there. Have to wonder if they all got killed and Hayden just fought his way out or whether he left them there to die because he's a bit of a dick.

And I never caught the Summoner/Archvile thing myself, well-spotted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Alexey, at 1:18 you refer to "well" as "the parasite word". I've never heard any word referred to as such. What did you mean by that? You shouldn't beat yourself up about getting english wrong though, no one can speak it properly. And you're by far the most articulate chinchilla I've ever heard.

• Locked thread