Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms
a clever devil surely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues

im really eager to see what our ridiculous patchwork looks like all stitched together, and then, the weird cludges that have to be made to edit it all into coherency. gonna be great

City of Glompton

Android Blues posted:

im really eager to see what our ridiculous patchwork looks like all stitched together, and then, the weird cludges that have to be made to edit it all into coherency. gonna be great

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

social vegan

I maximized the number of unexplained mysteries in my chapter so that when the reader asks for clarification we can huff and say, "Oh, I guess you didn't get it"

Nathilus

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
I've currently got a full head of steam going and am pounding the gently caress out of my chapter, expect to be done tonight. I'm a little bit worried about the ballooning wordcount but gently caress it. It won't go over 3000 and that should be fine. I was just hoping to keep it around 2kish but I ended up needing more exposition than expected.

social vegan posted:

I maximized the number of unexplained mysteries in my chapter so that when the reader asks for clarification we can huff and say, "Oh, I guess you didn't get it"

I'm doing this too except instead of mysteries I'm doing muddy cross-references in my symbolism. It's not bad you are simply not intellectual and well-read enough to Get my mashed together nods to other works. :smug:

It's fun.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

albany academy posted:

If the geese one isn't claimed already I'll take it

Congratulations to albany academy for turning a chapter around in record time! Your soul was only with me for a limited time, but I like to think it's the quality, not the quantity.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Captain Splashback

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
So excited for the final product!

wearing a lampshade

It was fun to do :)

Ahundredbux

The right to bear arms

Captain Splashback posted:

So excited for the final product!

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

misty mountaintop posted:

:siren: I'm gonna give until the 8th for people to get their writing in, in whatever form they have it :siren:

At that point we'll see what we've got, what we need, and whether/in what form this project can move forward.

If you haven't yet turned something in, here are some simple rules:

1. Don't erase! Never ever! If you don't like what you're writing, just start a new page and write, but keep the old stuff because:
2. Even if all send me is a complete jumble of words with no organization, coherence, or basic sanity, that is still ok and a Valid Contribution
3. Believe in yourself! :) I do.
4. Please write something.

hi MM this deadline is tomorrow and i was just wondering if someone misses it can i have their soul? i want a pet and i have a very nice tank set up with a wheel and water bottle dripper thing

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

food court bailiff posted:

hi MM this deadline is tomorrow and i was just wondering if someone misses it can i have their soul? i want a pet and i have a very nice tank set up with a wheel and water bottle dripper thing

It depends on how many souls I have.

Manifisto

It depends on how many souls I have.

don't bogart that soul, my friend

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug
Souls are fickle things. Contracts work because it clearly lays out how they move and who they will listen to, but the moment they see a loop hole they'll wriggle out of even the most secure phylactery. Once they get out then they'll become a ghost and once that happens then it's super tricky to finagle them back into a body. Also they leave ectoplasm all over and that's sooooooo hard to get out of the carpet.

social vegan

Arkanomen posted:

Souls are fickle things. Contracts work because it clearly lays out how they move and who they will listen to, but the moment they see a loop hole they'll wriggle out of even the most secure phylactery. Once they get out then they'll become a ghost and once that happens then it's super tricky to finagle them back into a body. Also they leave ectoplasm all over and that's sooooooo hard to get out of the carpet.

i dropped my soul somewhere in this popeyes combo meal box

Rockman Reserve

Arkanomen posted:

Also they leave ectoplasm all over and that's sooooooo hard to get out of the carpet.

common misconception: ectoplasm is still spiritually charged, once it's no longer in contact with a soul or otherwise empowered it's just normal ol' slime

don't tell anyone but the whole reason i want spare souls is for my ectoplasm slime farm, i've been mixing it with sawdust and selling it to dorks as a "meal replacement" lol

Manifisto

common misconception: ectoplasm is still spiritually charged, once it's no longer in contact with a soul or otherwise empowered it's just normal ol' slime

don't tell anyone but the whole reason i want spare souls is for my ectoplasm slime farm, i've been mixing it with sawdust and selling it to dorks as a "meal replacement" lol

the dark secret of soylent revealed

I mean, who could possibly have seen that coming?

Arkanomen

All he wants is a hug

That explains why i get Haunted Butt Syndrome after eating that stuff.

social vegan

social vegan posted:

i dropped my soul somewhere in this popeyes combo meal box

nvm it was just a piece of skin

Rockman Reserve

i'm sitting here tapping my feet and making john krasinski faces at nobody b/c Sonbic the Hedgehog taught me that's what you do when you're impatient

Manifisto

to people who have not yet written anything and are anxious about it, just sit down (right now) and write for 15-30 minutes and send whatever you just wrote to misty. a load will be lifted and when you sit down again to take another crack at it you may find that what you wrote the first time around is surprisingly good.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Manifisto posted:

to people who have not yet written anything and are anxious about it, just sit down (right now) and write for 15-30 minutes and send whatever you just wrote to misty. a load will be lifted and when you sit down again to take another crack at it you may find that what you wrote the first time around is surprisingly good.

Please follow this advice, all!

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
:siren: ATTENTION :siren:

As far as I know I have not received chapters from the following writers:

Luvcow
Mr Willsauce
Takane
i flunked out
Absolute Lithops
Doghouse
super mario batali
Nathilus

If you have something, please send it to me. We're moving on with phase 1.5 ASAP. The P in that stands for "Pretty soon, but honestly ol' misty's feeling a little nonfunctional right at this moment and might have to smoke herself stupid for a few days before becoming a human being again."

misty mountaintop fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 9, 2016

----------------

social vegan

maybe i'm crazy but i thought android at least posted that they submitted a chappie (writer slang for chapter) but maybe I made it up

social vegan

if u need me i'll be behind the east side marios slanging chappies

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!

but honestly ol' misty's feeling a little nonfunctional right at this moment and might have to smoke herself stupid for a few days before becoming a human being again."

:420::glomp::420:

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

Android Blues

the knowledge that ive been thought a truant for upwards of a week is messing me up. also, i probably shouldn't be using this thing in a jar misty sent me as a soul...

social vegan

Android Blues posted:

the knowledge that ive been thought a truant for upwards of a week is messing me up. also, i probably shouldn't be using this thing in a jar misty sent me as a soul...

I knew it *clasps hands over chest and reaches up to wipe tear off my lower lid* I knew it all along

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I asked for an extension and will hopefully have it done this weekend but if the mods feel I should be banned then I will accept their decision.

Manifisto

okay this idea is not misty approved, I'm just throwing it out there for consideration. obviously misty can nix it if she thinks it's ill-conceived.

different people deal with setbacks in different ways; sometimes it's good to have a project. I think we all understand why the overall endeavor here is not top priority at the moment, but maybe some people would like to keep thinking about it / focusing on it / working on it, rather than dwelling on other things.

so my suggestion is, if those who have not yet submitted a chapter are interested, people itt could brainstorm and maybe sort of synopsize an outline of how the chapter might unfold. the assigned chapter writer would be under no obligation to take any of the ideas, but they would be welcome to borrow or adapt whatever they might like.

my view is that this should be done only if the assigned chapter writer specifically requests it in this thread. nobody is trying to usurp your chapter or your role in the project.

so I guess . . . uh, discuss?

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

okay this idea is not misty approved, I'm just throwing it out there for consideration. obviously misty can nix it if she thinks it's ill-conceived.

different people deal with setbacks in different ways; sometimes it's good to have a project. I think we all understand why the overall endeavor here is not top priority at the moment, but maybe some people would like to keep thinking about it / focusing on it / working on it, rather than dwelling on other things.

so my suggestion is, if those who have not yet submitted a chapter are interested, people itt could brainstorm and maybe sort of synopsize an outline of how the chapter might unfold. the assigned chapter writer would be under no obligation to take any of the ideas, but they would be welcome to borrow or adapt whatever they might like.

my view is that this should be done only if the assigned chapter writer specifically requests it in this thread. nobody is trying to usurp your chapter or your role in the project.

so I guess . . . uh, discuss?

This may work but for me I already know how i think it should go, I've just been swamped with things, life happening etc. I would fully support someone taking my chapter as their own and stepping aside from the process if people really want this to move forward. As much as I love this idea and want to be a part of it I don't want to end up being one of the deadbeats that holds it up or contributes to it failing.

social vegan

ok picture this it's a fairy tale scene, mountains poking holes through light pink clouds littered throughout the sky, a dense forest changing colour amidst the light chill floating through the air, the path led by bright red patio stone mysteriously embedded along the forest floor, and everybody's got guns for arms hell ya git r done

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

This may work but for me I already know how i think it should go, I've just been swamped with things, life happening etc. I would fully support someone taking my chapter as their own and stepping aside from the process if people really want this to move forward. As much as I love this idea and want to be a part of it I don't want to end up being one of the deadbeats that holds it up or contributes to it failing.

gosh I didn't mean to imply that anyone should step aside or even suggest that anyone was holding up the project. I was honestly only trying to propose a way that people who have time and inclination could channel it towards this excellent and cool concept. personally I would be very sad not to read a luvcow take on "The Tale of the Elephant and the Small Cake.," speaking for myself I don't at all mind waiting

maybe it would be better to do this only for the unassigned chapters? I dunno, misty probably has ideas about how she wants to handle those, so I wouldn't touch them unless she says it's okay.

this is all in the spirit of "talking about writing the story, talking about broad outlines, coordinating, uncoordinating, kibbutzing, and just general bookchat, inspiration, support, friendliness, and other good stuff like that"

social vegan

cool but what about the gun arms

social vegan

"try and eat me...WITH THESE" is what hte cake would say right before it reveals its gun arms

Manifisto

social vegan posted:

ok picture this it's a fairy tale scene, mountains poking holes through light pink clouds littered throughout the sky, a dense forest changing colour amidst the light chill floating through the air, the path led by bright red patio stone mysteriously embedded along the forest floor, and everybody's got guns for arms hell ya git r done

throw in a frog, an owl, and the devil, and I'd say you've got something there

Manifisto

social vegan posted:

"try and eat me...WITH THESE" is what hte cake would say right before it reveals its gun arms

the elephant would raise its bazooka trunk and say, "knife to meet you" [NOTE TO SELF: work on tagline]

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

gosh I didn't mean to imply that anyone should step aside or even suggest that anyone was holding up the project. I was honestly only trying to propose a way that people who have time and inclination could channel it towards this excellent and cool concept. personally I would be very sad not to read a luvcow take on "The Tale of the Elephant and the Small Cake.," speaking for myself I don't at all mind waiting

maybe it would be better to do this only for the unassigned chapters? I dunno, misty probably has ideas about how she wants to handle those, so I wouldn't touch them unless she says it's okay.

this is all in the spirit of "talking about writing the story, talking about broad outlines, coordinating, uncoordinating, kibbutzing, and just general bookchat, inspiration, support, friendliness, and other good stuff like that"

No i didn't mean to come across like you were implying that, I'm just very stressed by deadlines I have that will keep a roof over my head. I feel really bad I haven't completed anything yet I honestly don't want to hold this up if people are motivated and risk losing that motivation if things get held up. I have every confidence that the people who picked chapters are talented and have produced things I very much want to read.

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

No i didn't mean to come across like you were implying that, I'm just very stressed by deadlines I have that will keep a roof over my head. I feel really bad I haven't completed anything yet I honestly don't want to hold this up if people are motivated and risk losing that motivation if things get held up. I have every confidence that the people who picked chapters are talented and have produced things I very much want to read.

ack. good luck with your deadlines, I'm sure it'll work out. don't waste any brain cells worrying about this project that is supposed to be fun and not stressful, your part is self-contained anyway so as far as I can tell you are holding up nothing whatsoever. stress can be pretty toxic, if you have a moment to spare getting out for a walk or a run or a paddle, even a short one, might do some good.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

ack. good luck with your deadlines, I'm sure it'll work out. don't waste any brain cells worrying about this project that is supposed to be fun and not stressful, your part is self-contained anyway so as far as I can tell you are holding up nothing whatsoever. stress can be pretty toxic, if you have a moment to spare getting out for a walk or a run or a paddle, even a short one, might do some good.

good advice

i took a nice long walk in the woods with my dog this morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joke_explainer

Luvcow posted:

I asked for an extension and will hopefully have it done this weekend but if the mods feel I should be banned then I will accept their decision.

luvcow my friend you are always far to willing to stick your head in the guillotine. nobody wants you banned!!!

• Locked thread