Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
Here is the thread for discussing the BYOB book which we will write. The following posters have agreed to be writers:

Finished Their Chapters: The List of Heroes
Splatmaster
Arkanomen
FredFlonston
Ahundredbux
social vegan
joke_explainer
City of Glompton
Food Court Bailiff
manifisto
albany academy
misty mountaintop
Android Blues
Nathilus

Picked a Chapter

Got an extension
my wheelhouse

List of Posters Whose Soul misty now owns until the end of time (Satan get at me if you wanna talk half-price souls)
Piso Mojado
Luvcow
Mr Willsauce
Takane
i flunked out
Absolute Lithops
Doghouse
super mario batali

Here are the chapters of the book. Each writer should sign up for a chapter. First come, first serve.
FAQ

1. How long does the chapter have to be?

As long as you want. There is no maximum or minimum. Just write it until it feels done.

2. Some of these chapters seem connected, what the heck?

Feel free to look at the chapter titles to get some sense of the story, you don't need to coordinate too hard. The basic format of the book will resemble the Arabian Nights, with a framing story that surrounds a series of independent, but connected tales. The framing story is chapters 1-5, 7, 10, 11, 13, 14, 16, 18-20, 23, 24 26-28. That's way more than in the Arabian Nights, because we are better than them.

3. Some of these chapters don't seem connected, what the heck?

Don't worry about it. Those are the "tales" which are not directly connected to the narrative. They are 6, 8, 9, 12, 15, 17, 21, 22, 25

4. I would like to tell a tale which is not in any of the chapters.

That's fine, go ahead and do that :)

5. Some of the chapters are bolded?

Don't pick those chapters yet.

6. How long do I have to do this?

I don't know. I guess we'll figure that out by talking it out here.

7. This isn't going to work.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. - Voltaire.

8. Zybourne Clock.

Yes. Zybourne Clock.

9. What is this thread for?

What is this thread for? Well let me tell you what it's NOT for. It's NOT for posting what you've written. Email that to me instead byobmisty@hotmail.com
This thread is for talking about writing the story, talking about broad outlines, coordinating, uncoordinating, kibbutzing, and just general bookchat, inspiration, support, friendliness, and other good stuff like that.

10. I have other questions

Ask away!

Chapters

1. How Two Empires Divided the World Between Them - joke_explainer
2. Frog’s Complaint, and How the Two Emperors Judged It Differently - manifisto
3. Frog Destroys the Moon Palace Doghouse
4. The Arguments of the Owls - Nathilus
5. Miriam, Daughter of the Owls -Ahundredbux
6. Why Trees Stop Growing at a Certain Point - Splatmaster
7. Edith, the Girl Who Was Born With Her Heart in Her Hand - social vegan
8. The Very Dirty Princess - City of Glompton
9. The Cook and the Alligator’s Banquet - my wheelhouse
10. Miriam Meets Edith, Who Will Become Her Best Friend - misty mountaintop
11. What Happened to the Moon Refugees - Takane
12. The Crab and the Thornbush - i flunked out
13. Frog, at Home, with His Horrible Children - Android Blues
14. How Frog was Seduced by the Devil - Arkanomen
15. The Dream of the Wise Old Snake - FredFlonston
16. The Trials of Miriam - Absolute Lithops
17. The Three Geese, and What Became of Them albany academy
18. The Treasures of the Moon People - Mr Willsauce
19. A Mighty Battle Between Owls and Demons
20. The Death of Edith, Which Really Wasn’t That Bad

21. The Tale of the Elephant and the Small Cake - Luvcow
22. The Cat and the Octopus and Which is More Truthful -food court bailiff
23. Frog Meets a Wise Snake and Repents of His Evil
24. Frog Among the Flowers

25. The Tale of the Humble Peacock - super mario batali
26. Miriam Fights Frog, But Declines to Kill Him
27. Miriam Defeats the Devil
28. The Happy End of the Two Empires

misty mountaintop fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

City of Glompton

awesome this will be great! :)

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Manifisto

City of Glompton posted:

awesome this will be great! :)

:agreed: picking a chapter is gonna take some thought, they all look good

Rockman Reserve

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

22. The Cat and the Octopus and Which is More Truthful is the tale i was born to tell

joke_explainer

I will take 1. How Two Empires Divided the World Between Them! Thank you!

joke_explainer fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 12, 2016

Android Blues

I would like to write 13. Frog, at Home, with His Horrible Children

joke_explainer

we doing third person limited?

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

joke_explainer posted:

we doing third person limited?

Good question! In the frame chapters how's about third person, as omniscient as you feel like being.

For the tales chapters, anything goes.

City of Glompton

I would like 8. The Very Dirty Princess

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I'm going to hang back and observe everyone's tactics before choosing mine

Pot Smoke Phoenix

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
I'd like

6. Why Trees Stop Growing at a Certain Point

please

https://i.imgur.com/QKTkerO.mp4
Sig elements by Manifisto and Heather Papps
Sig File protected by SigLock. do NOT steal this sig!

MrWillsauce

I'm pretty sure misty meant that one for me, city of glompton. But that's okay.

I want 18. The Treasures of the Moon People

social vegan

I'd like

7. Edith, the Girl Who Was Born With Her Heart in Her Hand

ty mm

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
OP updated with current chapter assignments. Not because there's a deadline but just because these things tend to die on the vine, feel free to get started, post about your troubles, ask questions about different species of octopus, or whatever.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Luvcow posted:

I'm going to hang back and observe everyone's tactics before choosing mine

A cunning plan.

----------------

MrWillsauce

what's the best octopus?

Takane

by FactsAreUseless
what happened to the moon refugees please

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

MrWillsauce posted:

what's the best octopus?

The Blue-Ringed or Cyanea Octopuses are pretty cool.

----------------

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

Takane posted:

what happened to the moon refugees please

You got it. OP updated. I can't wait to find out what happened to the moon refugees.

----------------

City of Glompton

I have been thinking about the very dirty princess and why she is so dirty, and i've decided it is because she lives in a forest after being sent there for safekeeping.

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
It must be a very dirty forest.

----------------

City of Glompton

forests are basically made of dirt in various states (dirt, almost dirt, tiny dirt, big dirt, pre-dirt, etc) so yeah

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit
A tree is basically dirt. I know what you mean.

----------------

Rockman Reserve

City of Glompton posted:

forests are basically made of dirt in various states (dirt, almost dirt, tiny dirt, big dirt, pre-dirt, etc) so yeah

this is wisdom and I am glad I found BYOB to learn from it

Rockman Reserve

Im really glad because my previous source of wisdom was the gruff robot man that sells u guns in destiny

"say what you like about the cabal....they know guns"

"too much flash....sitting duck"

v wise but hard to apply day to day

City of Glompton

I'm glad you are learning wisdom applicable to everyday situations, and also glad you are posting in byob

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

City of Glompton posted:

I have been thinking about the very dirty princess and why she is so dirty, and i've decided it is because she lives in a forest after being sent there for safekeeping.

arboreal people are good people

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I am going to pickThe Tale of the Elephant and the Small Cake

though i'm fascinated by Frog and love all the chapter titles

Android Blues posted:

13. Frog, at Home, with His Horrible Children

this is my favorite title

joke_explainer

how many graphs are we allowed to include in the text for expository reasons (show don't tell)

social vegan

I am excited and mm crushed it with those titles

Manifisto

well I am somewhat tempted to take a crack at

2. Frog’s Complaint, and How the Two Emperors Judged It Differently

but I also feel like it's a key part of the framing story and almost think it would be better for mm to do it

my initial thought is that frog's complaint is that the stars in the night sky are reflected in his pond but they disappear whenever he tries to approach them, he wants to fly into the sky, dart among the stars and discover what they are, maybe find out whatever delicious insects are hiding up there

maybe the problem is that the stars belong to the Empire of the Celestial Realm (which includes the sun and moon, owls and all other birds, clouds, mountaintops, etc), while frog is a citizen of the Empire of the Earthly Realm - so the emperors have very different views of Frog's problem

thoughts on this? I'll keep thinking about it and may come up with something else, and it's virtually certain that someone else will have a better idea

if someone (again like mm) will do a better job of the early framing stuff, I'm also fine with

14. How Frog was Seduced by the Devil

ty nesamdoom!

MrWillsauce

I don't really want to talk about my story until it's written, because it's easy for me to talk stuff up and then never get around to actually doing it. But on the other hand my moon story will probably clash with the other moon stories and be weird... I'm just gonna get started and roll with it. I dunno.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

but I also feel like it's a key part of the framing story and almost think it would be better for mm to do it

my initial thought is that frog's complaint is that the stars in the night sky are reflected in his pond but they disappear whenever he tries to approach them, he wants to fly into the sky, dart among the stars and discover what they are, maybe find out whatever delicious insects are hiding up there

maybe the problem is that the stars belong to the Empire of the Celestial Realm (which includes the sun and moon, owls and all other birds, clouds, mountaintops, etc), while frog is a citizen of the Empire of the Earthly Realm - so the emperors have very different views of Frog's problem

thoughts on this? I'll keep thinking about it and may come up with something else, and it's virtually certain that someone else will have a better idea

if someone (again like mm) will do a better job of the early framing stuff, I'm also fine with

this sounds really good

joke_explainer

so far the two empires are connected by atmosphere as a tidally locked, geostationary moon in the sky, and frog the guy in charge of the trebuchets that ship goods up to the moon and receive packages from the moon (there's another system for shipping people in place, run by the owls at the moon palace). the gravitational constant in this universe is 0.2G and objects can be much more dense than they would by in this universe (newtonian universe, speed of light is infinite). the moon is covered in mushrooms for some reason and they release spores during the summer week every four weeks that act like smog. everything is very low technology, but the super unusual orbital configuration means people can almost freakin jump to the other planet if they're close enough. if this sucks I'll rewrite it, misty will be the arbiter. got like 4 pages down but currently loving around with spreadsheets to work out the exact math and seasons and stuff...

joke_explainer

Manifisto posted:

this sounds like it works really well with where I started. I was thinking the divide would be the breakdown of trade, and/or the start of hostilities, where each city is basically plastered on the sky like a super-close moon, so like... how do you attack? anyone is building something dangerous, they will throw rocks up or down at each other, and the moon only has a slight advantage (and probably better aerial capabilities what w/ the owls...)

the unabonger
12. The Crab and the Thornbush

RazzleDazzleHour

I said I wanted to participate in the last thread :sadwave:

Rockman Reserve

all of these ideas sound weird and fantastic and i love them so far

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

I said I wanted to participate in the last thread :sadwave:

I am really bad at organizing things! Of course you're in, pick a chapter!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misty mountaintop

by Hand Knit

joke_explainer posted:

how many graphs are we allowed to include in the text for expository reasons (show don't tell)

I'm so excited by the possibility of graphs. Let's say... Four. ish.

• Locked thread