Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

What does this actually mean and how does it work?

They send enough $$ through various channels to ensure their views have a disproportionately large impact on the policy of the country as opposed to public will. It's not just banks, it's the rich, it's insurance companies, it's defense contractors. Honestly a surprising amount of it is done openly via campaign donations, superpacs, etc but there's plenty of 'you scratch my back i scratch yours' going on in all levels of government. It's one of the reasons it's literally impossible for an insider to change anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

NewForumSoftware posted:

They send enough $$ through various channels to ensure their views have a disproportionately large impact on the policy of the country as opposed to public will. It's not just banks, it's the rich, it's insurance companies, it's defense contractors. Honestly a surprising amount of it is done openly via campaign donations, superpacs, etc but there's plenty of 'you scratch my back i scratch yours' going on in all levels of government. It's one of the reasons it's literally impossible for an insider to change anything.

Do you think that former contractors are biased toward their employers because they were paid?

You do realise speaking fees are pay, right? Pay for work done? Not just gift money?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Somfin posted:

Do you think that former contractors are biased toward their employers because they were paid?

You do realise speaking fees are pay, right? Pay for work done? Not just gift money?

Thank you, Justice John Roberts, I now recognize there is no such thing as bribery

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ze Pollack posted:

Thank you, Justice John Roberts, I now recognize there is no such thing as bribery

poo poo, gonna have to turn my employer over to the cops now, turns out all this money I'm being paid for my programming work is bribery if I'm a Democrat, a woman or a progressive.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

twodot posted:

If Obama hasn't taken speaking fees, and Clinton has then that seems like a pretty good reason to treat them differently.

Listen to yourself. You jump on any bullshit reason to justify your own preconceptions. You even saw the speeches yourself in the nothingburger which was the wikileaks emails.

gently caress it I changed my mind, new approach: when Obama will inevitably accept speaking fees from banks will you then admit that you were wrong? Will you then say "yes, I was a disingenuous moron?"

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 6, 2016

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Speaking of dumb third party chodes, what do you think of Assange?

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

SSNeoman posted:

I think fluoride is good + cool

Okay good just checking

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

NewForumSoftware posted:

Okay, so what you're describing is lobbying in general, which, I'll agree, is a problem.

How does voting for a third party dismantle the mechanisms that allow lobbyists to operate in Washington?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Okay, so what you're describing is lobbying in general, which, I'll agree, is a problem.

How does voting for a third party dismantle the mechanisms that allow lobbyists to operate in Washington?

I never said it did

also lol if you think "lobbying" encompasses all of the behavior im talking about

NewForumSoftware fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Nov 6, 2016

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NewForumSoftware posted:

I never said it did

What do you think voting third party does? You've never been to clear about that.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Who What Now posted:

What do you think voting third party does? You've never been to clear about that.

~*it sends a message*~

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Who What Now posted:

Not sure what a Hillary vote does, either, with regard to lobbying and the effect of moneyed interests in public policy.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Panzeh posted:

Not sure what a Hillary vote does, either, with regard to lobbying and the effect of moneyed interests in public policy.

It means Supreme Court nominees that are likely to overturn the Citizens United decision, and it means the CFPB gets to stay open, for starters.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

It depends on where you live. In firmly blue and firmly red states, it does as much as voting for the lesser of two evils does. You can squibble about the signaling of third parties or the signaling of a voter mandate, I think they are both equally worthless.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

It means Supreme Court nominees that are likely to overturn the Citizens United decision, and it means the CFPB gets to stay open, for starters.

Not every vote matters, why shouldn't someone vote their conscience in California?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

Not every vote matters, why shouldn't someone vote their conscience in California?

I'll say from personal experience that I deeply regret my CA protest vote in 2012 for Jill Stein, having now learned what an idiot she is. I was mad at Obama about drones or something and even though my vote didn't change anything, there's a very real sense of personal regret that I still feel about giving my vote to the Green Party when they didn't deserve it.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

It's like listening to a dipshit GOP Yunalesca from FFX.

"They chose to vote Green Party...because they had hope."

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

I'll say from personal experience that I deeply regret my CA protest vote in 2012 for Jill Stein, having now learned what an idiot she is. I was mad at Obama about drones or something and even though my vote didn't change anything, there's a very real sense of personal regret that I still feel about giving my vote to the Green Party when they didn't deserve it.

Yeah well I'm sorry you were too stupid to examine the third parties and pick the best one. There are better options in CA.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

NewForumSoftware posted:

Yeah well I'm sorry you were too stupid to examine the third parties and pick the best one. There are better options in CA.

Isn't one of the goals of voting third party that you hope they hit some sort of milestone (5% for federal funding, 15% for debate appearance) so they get more national recognition? If that's the case, then voting for an even less-popular third party seems like abandoning that goal.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

WampaLord posted:

Isn't one of the goals of voting third party that you hope they hit some sort of milestone (5% for federal funding, 15% for debate appearance) so they get more national recognition? If that's the case, then voting for an even less-popular third party seems like abandoning that goal.

If you're gonna waste your vote when you could be putting it toward taking down Trump, you might as well go whole-hog on that poo poo.

Vote for me, I'll give you a billion dollars at zero taxpayer expense if I win.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

NewForumSoftware posted:

Such as?

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

WampaLord posted:

I mean sure but that's not even a remote possibility for the Greens. I suppose if you're Libertarian it would make sense but quite frankly I'm not.

lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!

WampaLord posted:

Ha! I voted for Johnson knowing he was an idiot. Libertarian economics is about as much of a joke as libertarian foreign policy. But when Hills sends Snowden to Supermax for 30 to life, I won't be responsible. Can't exactly complain when I knew she thought Ed should "face the music" and I voted for her anyway instead of the guy who said he'd pardon him.

What? Silver's got Georgia at 17.2/82.8 for Cheeto Jesus. Didn't matter how I voted, if that's what you're worried about. Living in a deep red state should have some kind of compensatory silver lining to it, so why not symbolic voting just to come out ahead on my pet issue that I can lord over the obvious winner in "This is why I didn't vote for you! :argh:" fashion later?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lothar_ posted:

Can't exactly complain when I knew she thought Ed should "face the music" and I voted for her anyway instead of the guy who said he'd pardon him.

Honest question: Why?

Why does voting for someone mean you inherently have to support all of their policies or think everything they do is right? Nobody is going to go "you voted for (X) you have no right to complain about what they do!"

Or in comparison why do you think "Well, *I* didn't vote for (X)" means you have any addition weight or moral superiority? It doesn't take a lot of courage to make a choice with no risk or consequences or meaning.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
That 17% chance is based on just a 3.1% difference in polling, then whatever Nate does. Which is only about 120,000 people based on GA's 2012 turnout. Probably no way to tell how that compares to the number of Georgians who've convinced themselves their vote doesn't matter, but I'd guess it's lower.

e: and 17 is way bigger than zero regardless, fucks sake

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Nov 7, 2016

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

lothar_ posted:

Ha! I voted for Johnson knowing he was an idiot. Libertarian economics is about as much of a joke as libertarian foreign policy. But when Hills sends Snowden to Supermax for 30 to life, I won't be responsible. Can't exactly complain when I knew she thought Ed should "face the music" and I voted for her anyway instead of the guy who said he'd pardon him.

What? Silver's got Georgia at 17.2/82.8 for Cheeto Jesus. Didn't matter how I voted, if that's what you're worried about. Living in a deep red state should have some kind of compensatory silver lining to it, so why not symbolic voting just to come out ahead on my pet issue that I can lord over the obvious winner in "This is why I didn't vote for you! :argh:" fashion later?

The difference in GA seems to be an average of about 5% according to RealClearPolitics. I also live in GA, so I get that the GOP constantly winning can cause you to feel some apathy, but a 5% difference is really telling. The gap between GOP and Democratic candidates has shrunken. Voting third party does nothing to move that along, especially when the the third parties only seem to make a token effort to participate in local elections.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

lothar_ posted:

Good news, you're in good company with the rest of the third-party mouthbreathers in this thread!

Fucks sake, I actually respect Sethex more than you or NFS. Like he's a piece of poo poo libertarian (and I will mock him because of that) but at least he's for a candidate that's inline with his personal politics. You are just doing this so you can act sanctimonious vs a popular candidate.

NewForumSoftware posted:

so close

Bloops Crusts
Aug 14, 2016
Trust me. As someone who grew up in Florida, who knows a lot of people who didn't vote or voted third party in 2000: you may end up regretting it for the rest of your life if you decide to sit this one out, or cast a protest vote.

Off to bed now. Up bright and early tomorrow to knock on doors.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

Bloops Crusts posted:

Trust me. As someone who grew up in Florida, who knows a lot of people who didn't vote or voted third party in 2000: you may end up regretting it for the rest of your life if you decide to sit this one out, or cast a protest vote.

Off to bed now. Up bright and early tomorrow to knock on doors.

And before the sanctimony starts- yes, this individual vote wouldn't have changed the outcome, but it would have been that one vote closer or that one vote more resounding a defeat / victory. poo poo doesn't need to have hinged on your vote for your vote to have been on the correct side.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Why are we saying that it is throwing your vote away to run up the score against white-nationalism?

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

Why are we saying that it is throwing your vote away to run up the score against white-nationalism?

The opposite.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Somfin posted:

The opposite.

No, he's right, the dipshit third-party supporters are saying exactly that.

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
On "why shouldn't I vote my conscience", you need to look at the fact that a 3rd party can poo poo out whatever pipe dream platform they want, since they have no intention of winning, plan to enact any part of their platform... Hell, for the most part they make little effort to even agitate for their policies. Is that really "representing your conscience"? All they have to do is write words on paper. Major candidates have to appeal to large swathes of people and plan on ramming policy through Congress.

Plus, since the PRDND is all single issue on wall street/foreign policy, how many third party candidates do we trust not to start launching drones and cashing checks as soon as they hit the big leagues?

3rd parties seem so ineffectual and hypocritical to me that it honestly feels more moral to rack up the vote for Hitlery, because most of her issues are systematic issues that every candidate is guilty of. Election time is the worst time to tackle those.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Voting for a third party (or write in) candidate is throwing your vote away because there is a zero percent chance of that candidate winning the election and also a zero percent chance that either actual political party will care about your missing vote, so your vote affected literally nothing except making you feel slightly better about your own dumb values.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
:lol: If you think your vote counts.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

:lol: If you think your vote counts.

gently caress, I've never seen a take so hot

:trumppop:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

vintagepurple posted:

On "why shouldn't I vote my conscience", you need to look at the fact that a 3rd party can poo poo out whatever pipe dream platform they want, since they have no intention of winning, plan to enact any part of their platform... Hell, for the most part they make little effort to even agitate for their policies. Is that really "representing your conscience"? All they have to do is write words on paper. Major candidates have to appeal to large swathes of people and plan on ramming policy through Congress.
Yes, of course. If six people write down policies on paper, I will prefer one set of policies over the rest. Whether or not Congress would actually pass any of those policies has nothing to do with my preferred set of policies. If there was any question of who would win my state, I would have to engage in the trade off you are observing where having an actual impact may be preferable to a doomed vote for my preferred set of policies, but that's not the case.

quote:

Plus, since the PRDND is all single issue on wall street/foreign policy, how many third party candidates do we trust not to start launching drones and cashing checks as soon as they hit the big leagues?
Again a non-issue since they won't win. It's sufficient that their policy is to not engage in wars of aggression.

quote:

3rd parties seem so ineffectual and hypocritical to me that it honestly feels more moral to rack up the vote for Hitlery, because most of her issues are systematic issues that every candidate is guilty of. Election time is the worst time to tackle those.
We've gone over this. Taking up the mantle of "Literally all non-Trump and non-Clinton candidates in 2016 are hypocritical" is a pretty intense burden, and even if true, could be false in 2020. Also what does racking up the vote for Clinton do? Like actions are moral because they have some consequence on reality right? What's the outcome of Clinton having an extra 2% (I rounded up) of the vote?

The Shortest Path posted:

Voting for a third party (or write in) candidate is throwing your vote away because there is a zero percent chance of that candidate winning the election and also a zero percent chance that either actual political party will care about your missing vote, so your vote affected literally nothing except making you feel slightly better about your own dumb values.
Can't you guys come up with a novel argument, should no one in Idaho vote for Clinton because she can't win Idaho? Is voting for Trump in Idaho good because the Democrats will care about it?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i threw my vote to gloria la riva :allears:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Condiv posted:

Same

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Condiv posted:

As did I.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Looking at Florida, I can confirm that third-party voters are, in fact, a loving cancer.

• Locked thread