Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

That is so cool. I would imagine the average radial would be like "gently caress you I'm out" after about minute five.

Is that some kind of wide six adapter? Crazy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^
I'm glad RedBull uses their sugar water profits for things like this.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Seat Safety Switch posted:

That is so cool. I would imagine the average radial would be like "gently caress you I'm out" after about minute five.

Is that some kind of wide six adapter? Crazy poo poo.

They're forklift tires and wheels.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Octopus Magic posted:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Octopus Magic posted:

I think its mainly because the son of the guy who owns red bull is very, very much into cars and poo poo and his father/the company saw a marketing oppurtunity.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
From the pictures it looks like only the front left one was solid and the rest plain old radials. A lot less weight in the rear of course. I would guess you need a pretty stiff tire to be at all able to steer it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno, the Saudis don't seem to need any special equipment to drive on two wheels :colbert:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Only required equipment is zero regard for their own life.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 233 days!)

xzzy posted:

Only required equipment is zero regard for their own life.

I guess you are unfamiliar with their culture..

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Didn't the people that did the Goodwood on two wheels say they nuked the tires on one pass?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

West SAAB Story posted:

I guess you are unfamiliar with their culture..

:happyelf: ??

Edit: actually it's more like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SzWS6GHwm0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9eMkUu5Lno (skip to 1:21 for wheel removal)

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 5, 2016

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keiUSSCeGdc

Related video.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://vimeo.com/190263751

Race start procedure with annotations for what buttons the driver is pushing on the wheel.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
A friend just posted this on irc and I had to share. http://www.riceracing.com.au/apex-seals.htm

It's like timecube, but written about wankels instead of time.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

kastein posted:

A friend just posted this on irc and I had to share. http://www.riceracing.com.au/apex-seals.htm

Believe it or not this guy is practically lucid compared to the full-throated screams of blinding, inarticulate rage I've heard come out of rotary rebuild shops when looking at housings that got ate up by parts-store seals.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

`Nemesis posted:

https://vimeo.com/190263751

Race start procedure with annotations for what buttons the driver is pushing on the wheel.

Man I love these videos. Absolutely amazing how much these guys are doing in just one lap.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
http://i.imgur.com/lcYhMc3.mp4

Childish but :laugh:

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

kastein posted:

That guy is... uh... pretty passionate about whatever his current position is. Note how he's slagging ceramic apex seals? A few years back he was a dealer for them.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That was both unexpected, and awesome. Haha..

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Hope he topped off his wiper fluid before that trip.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

loving stance. :argh:

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

InitialDave posted:

loving stance. :argh:

I would be impressed as gently caress if some "stance" fan slapped a camper body onto that chassis for shows.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
What is the fascination with having unsafe, unusable camber anyway?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Falken posted:

What is the fascination with having unsafe, unusable camber anyway?

Same reason kids wear pants hanging around their ankles or hats turned sideways or spiky green hair or whatever. Kids find a style to try and distinguish themselves, old people sit on their porches and get mad about it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

xzzy posted:

Same reason kids wear pants hanging around their ankles or hats turned sideways or spiky green hair or whatever. Kids find a style to try and distinguish themselves, old people sit on their porches and get mad about it.
Yes, but while sagging trousers make you look like an idiot, they aren't dangerous to the people around you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think super-stanced cars are particularly dangerous to the people around them, seeing as they never seem to get above 20 miles an hour.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think super-stanced cars are particularly dangerous to the people around them, seeing as they never seem to get above 20 miles an hour get out of the parking lot intact.

:colbert:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Well, given that they can't handle or brake for poo poo that is definitely a little dangerous, although probably no worse than any other shitbox with blown shocks and bald tires.

I remember seeing a video of I think a super low 350z driving down the freeway, loses control when it hits an expansion joint. Can't seem to find it on youtube right now though.

jamal fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Nov 7, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Believe it or not this guy is practically lucid compared to the full-throated screams of blinding, inarticulate rage I've heard come out of rotary rebuild shops when looking at housings that got ate up by parts-store seals.

I don't know, have you seen his About Us page?

E: If you listen to The FPlus, this engine builder's(???) site reminds me Dr. Rev. John Kitchen Esq.

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Nov 7, 2016

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

kastein posted:

If I had paid actual human money for a seal that was so clearly not straight I'd be pretty angry too.

Having said that, I've rebuilt about 30 or 40 13b engines and I put every single seal across a straight edge before installation. Even seals straight from the factory can have manufacturing defects.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

jamal posted:

Well, given that they can't handle or brake for poo poo that is definitely a little dangerous, although probably no worse than any other shitbox with blown shocks and bald tires.

I remember seeing a video of I think a super low 350z driving down the freeway, loses control when it hits an expansion joint. Can't seem to find it on youtube right now though.

I remember a similar video, the car's just cruising. It hits something and with not having any suspension travel throws the balance off completely, back end lifts and the driver attempts to catch it but it's already well on the way into the other lanes sideways.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I had never even heard about the 1964 GM Bison before today. What a horrible oversight.

Sure, it looks a bit frogmouthy, but wait, there's more! It was a gas-turbine engine prototype, and the front end detaches:

Oh my god! :allears:

Interior looks like this:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Canopies that must swing open so you can enter the vehicle are always awesome.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

50s, 60s and 70s US car design was the best. Concept wise the poo poo was incredible and things like that, especially interior wise look more futuristic than the concepts of today.

1962 Ford Seattle-ite XXI

If you don't want to drive around in a space car more than the boring poo poo that's on the roads today then you're wrong in the head.

^^^ Also this:

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is there no application where a turbine would be useful for a road vehicle? A truck is the closest thing I can think of. Needs lots of torque, spends most of its time at one speed.

In other news I found the guy on Facebook who made this thing:

https://youtu.be/wQM_TyyRye4

You remember that thing. He said he still drives it for exhibition runs at drag strips. He also has a jet powered minibike and a pro mod dragster. His YouTube channel has been active all these years.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Best use case would be some sort of emergency range extender, otherwise they're not very efficient at small sizes and would be best used in an electric hybrid operation anyway due to rpm range.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

mobby_6kl posted:

Best use case would be some sort of emergency range extender, otherwise they're not very efficient at small sizes and would be best used in an electric hybrid operation anyway due to rpm range.

I'm kind of wondering why there hasn't been a revolution in gas turbine hybrids. Although I'd guess it's because things like the EcoBoost 1-Liter are pushing what we can do with tiny cheap ICs and the hybrid systems are already too expensive. But matching a gas turbine to a hybrid seems really badass.

It is finally the time for a gas turbine hybrid to take Le Mans! Maybe.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If the jet engine economy scales it would still be impossibly expensive to use a turbine. Shoving a power turbine into a truck would cost something like $400,000 and the maintenance for the life of the engine may be similar. The exotic metals needed to run jet turbines at efficient compressions make them very difficult to be economically feasible.

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

um excuse me posted:

If the jet engine economy scales it would still be impossibly expensive to use a turbine. Shoving a power turbine into a truck would cost something like $400,000 and the maintenance for the life of the engine may be similar. The exotic metals needed to run jet turbines at efficient compressions make them very difficult to be economically feasible.

For consumer cars sure, it would be a long ways out and probably impossible. But we haven't even had a crazy supercar maker attempt one, that I know of. My only point about the tiny ecoboost motor is just that I think bits like that restored confidence in IC as a concept, so that there's less push to try alternatives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

revdrkevind posted:

For consumer cars sure, it would be a long ways out and probably impossible. But we haven't even had a crazy supercar maker attempt one, that I know of.

Uh, Bonneville?

Ok yeah the stuff at Bonneville is all rockets that go in a straight line so may not qualify as a "supercar" like we think of them now, but they're certainly crazy.