Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Jerusalem posted:

But think about all the exciting opportunities, like turning Cyberpunk 2077 into an episodic always-online multiplayer game with regular releases of exclusive enhanced DLC abilities and items!

MODS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
EA's hunger for devouring good devs has grown so large that only the best of the best can sate it now.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I thought CD Projekt Red was a subsidiary of CD Projekt, the Polish distributor and producer. Have they been spun off as a wholly separate company?

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

The idea that CD Projekt could get Bioware'd is a depressing one.

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

RagingBoner posted:

Is anyone playing the Gwent closed beta / is there a Gwent thread that I couldn't find?

There isn't one yet.

I'm in the closed beta, Lv. 18. Got Cerys and since then been trying to build a deck around her with the Queensguards. My True Queen of Skellige deck has a 0% winrate so far. Starting to think it's just a bad card. My other decent deck is a Monster Weather deck whose only weakness seems to be decks running 3 clear weathers and Dime bombs, or other monster weather decks that have luckier draws.

It feels like a pretty good game, and if nothing else offering something that isn't based around Magic/Hearthstone play.

Palpek posted:

Somebody in another thread mentioned that CDPR is fighting a hostile takeover and that it could have something to do with EA wanting to buy them. Anybody knows what I'm talking about and if there's any truth to it? I hope it's all lies.

EA was last year, this time it seems more that the company is taking initiative to not get taken over in the future.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Norns posted:

Can you give an example of an rpg with what you consider a good UI? One that's based around controller.

I cannot, as none exists.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Palpek posted:

Somebody in another thread mentioned that CDPR is fighting a hostile takeover and that it could have something to do with EA wanting to buy them. Anybody knows what I'm talking about and if there's any truth to it? I hope it's all lies.

I remember the rumor, which was all it was. Both CDPR and EA flatly denied it and the news disappeared in less than a week.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Electronico6 posted:

There isn't one yet.

I'm in the closed beta, Lv. 18. Got Cerys and since then been trying to build a deck around her with the Queensguards. My True Queen of Skellige deck has a 0% winrate so far. Starting to think it's just a bad card. My other decent deck is a Monster Weather deck whose only weakness seems to be decks running 3 clear weathers and Dime bombs, or other monster weather decks that have luckier draws.

It feels like a pretty good game, and if nothing else offering something that isn't based around Magic/Hearthstone play.

I just want to brag about this monstrosity I figured out the game allows:

Nekker X2 + Nekker Warrior X2 + Nekker (again) + Monster Nest X2 + Thunderbolt X2 + Commander's Horn = This insane hand

Obviously it's tactically very risky, but man is it fun to blow up on people online. Wish there was a chat function because of that.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

2house2fly posted:

Ironic, since it's incredibly bad to use with a controller.

Lol if you don't play Witcher 3 with a steam controller.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

RagingBoner posted:

I just want to brag about this monstrosity I figured out the game allows:

Nekker X2 + Nekker Warrior X2 + Nekker (again) + Monster Nest X2 + Thunderbolt X2 + Commander's Horn = This insane hand

Obviously it's tactically very risky, but man is it fun to blow up on people online. Wish there was a chat function because of that.

Out of curiosity, if you played a frost card on that what would the score be?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Jerusalem posted:

Out of curiosity, if you played a frost card on that what would the score be?

They would all be dropped to 1, but there's like 50+ cards there, so around 50?

The funny thing is, if the opponent plays their frost card before any of the card multipliers are played, it would make that play useless, as the multipliers ignore weather effects. You can't count on playing those cards last though, because if they have a Lacerate card it will kill every single one of the breedable cards (Nekker, Arachas, etc.) at base health on that row... Like I said, it's a risky play.

Also, currently, the Monster's Nest card has a bugged effect that not only doubles the breedable cards on the board, but also pulls the available breedable cards out of the deck too., which means you can use an extra slot in your hand for something more useful than having a duplicate of one of your breedable cards.

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 7, 2016

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

RagingBoner posted:

They would all be dropped to 1, but there's like 50+ cards there, so around 50?

The funny thing is, if the opponent plays their frost card before any of the card multipliers are played, it would make that play useless, as the multipliers ignore weather effects. You can't count on playing those cards last though, because if they have a Lacerate card it will kill every single one of the breedable cards (Nekker, Arachas, etc.) on that row... Like I said, it's a risky play.

Also, currently, the Monster's Nest card has a bugged effect that not only doubles the breedable cards on the board, but also pulls the available breedable cards out of the deck too., which means you can use an extra slot in your hand for something more useful than having a duplicate of one of your breedable cards.

I'm not sure that is a bug, unless they're going to change the mechanics of Played/Copied minions. When you copy a Unit that has an ability/mechanic, that copy will also trigger the ability or mechanic, this how Foltest works.NR player plays Poor Infantry which has the mechanic of spawning an additional infantry unit, then using Foltest you copy the Poor Infantry which also spawns an additional Infantry unit, leaving you with four 3 power Units on board.

The Arachas-Behemoth variation of the Breed Monster Deck has even more ability to create an even bigger number of units. As you use the Nekker Warrior, then the Ekkimaras to trigger the Behemoth to spawn more Arachas. The Foglet version is also kinda fun, though with a lot less monster on boards, but an army of creatures that your opponent can never seem to get rid of.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Electronico6 posted:

I'm not sure that is a bug, unless they're going to change the mechanics of Played/Copied minions. When you copy a Unit that has an ability/mechanic, that copy will also trigger the ability or mechanic, this how Foltest works.NR player plays Poor Infantry which has the mechanic of spawning an additional infantry unit, then using Foltest you copy the Poor Infantry which also spawns an additional Infantry unit, leaving you with four 3 power Units on board.

The Arachas-Behemoth variation of the Breed Monster Deck has even more ability to create an even bigger number of units. As you use the Nekker Warrior, then the Ekkimaras to trigger the Behemoth to spawn more Arachas. The Foglet version is also kinda fun, though with a lot less monster on boards, but an army of creatures that your opponent can never seem to get rid of.

Oh, of course it's not a bug,, I didn't think about it like that!

I'm away from my computer right now, but instead of using Ekkimara's and Behemoth's to breed more, I'm luring in the first round with the (can't remember their names) 5 power rock monster that creates breedable lvl. 1 minions when removed from the board. That sets you up with a chance to outright win in the first round OR even more breedables in the second round.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
What is it with that golem with 5000000 HP in HoS?

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

RagingBoner posted:

Oh, of course it's not a bug,, I didn't think about it like that!

I'm away from my computer right now, but instead of using Ekkimara's and Behemoth's to breed more, I'm luring in the first round with the (can't remember their names) 5 power rock monster that creates breedable lvl. 1 minions when removed from the board. That sets you up with a chance to outright win in the first round OR even more breedables in the second round.

The Golem yeah. There's also the two rare silver Elemental that do similar stuff to the Golem. The Earth Elemental, which works like the Golem, but instead of 2x lvl 1 unit it leaves behind 2 x lvl 2 Units, then the Fire Elemental that spawns one Lesser Fire (lvl 1) when it's your turn. Both lesser versions are breedable. The Fire Elemental is pretty to snowball in a round 1, or to bait out scorch/wrath.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

I've set the left trigger full click to activate gyro mode for aiming crossbow/bombs manually and it's improved my life dramatically. Not to mention having dodge/roll on the back paddles.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lol if you play any game with the steam controller

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I played witcher 3 with an XBox One controller on my PC because it was much more natural control than using mouse/keyboard. Although being able to reach over to the mouse/keyboard for UI occasionally was useful.

I did activate the tight controls toggle, though.

Palpek posted:

Some people jumped to conclusions. What's happening is that they sold more than 50% of the company during the lean times, and now that they have Witcher 3 money they're buying back stock to reach 51% internal ownership. No indications that it's in response to a hostile takeover bid.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 7, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm doing a minimal HUD playthrough, which means no minimap in the top corner. Is there a mod anywhere that lets me keep the clock though?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Did Witcher 3 sell a lot? I'd like it if they had money to polish the hell out of future games.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Lone Badger posted:

Did Witcher 3 sell a lot? I'd like it if they had money to polish the hell out of future games.

It was ten million units in March, there's been a few big sales since then so it might've spiked more.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Shannow posted:

I've set the left trigger full click to activate gyro mode for aiming crossbow/bombs manually and it's improved my life dramatically. Not to mention having dodge/roll on the back paddles.

I'm using one of the top suggested configs that has the inventory and map on the paddles and quick save on pressing the d-pad, with the mouse-like joypad camera. Gyro-aiming is great in other games, but I'm not really one for the crossbow in this.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

TipsyMcStagger posted:

Something that really pissed me off about HoS was the Oferi mage who was immune to dimeritium bombs.
I actually wish they made these things used more often. Having started Blood and Wine a week ago and playing through all the side quests, I've found that Moon dust is extremely helpful, wish that Dimeritium would be the same.

I played through entire game twice(before expansions and with them) and still I'm not entirely sure what the dimeritium bombs actually do against half of the creatures they're supposedly good against.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I got into the gwent beta today and ehhhh. It seems ok but that payment model looks very very bad. I'm not sure why I'd play this instead of hearthstone or duelyst... The game itself doesn't seem good enough to overcome the lovely model.

It did lead to me saying screw it to finishing witcher 2 right now and just downloading w3 though.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm doing a minimal HUD playthrough, which means no minimap in the top corner. Is there a mod anywhere that lets me keep the clock though?

I use friendly HUD, and have it set so that the mini map only shows up when you use Witcher senses. You can also replace the mini map with a Skyrim style compass or 3D markers. It'll hide other UI elements for you as well.

While we're on the subject, what are some other must have mods?

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

Hot Smart ARYAN Girl posted:

I use friendly HUD, and have it set so that the mini map only shows up when you use Witcher senses. You can also replace the mini map with a Skyrim style compass or 3D markers. It'll hide other UI elements for you as well.

While we're on the subject, what are some other must have mods?

I use a bunch of little quality-of-life ones. Fast travel from anywhere. Auto-apply oils. Coloured map markers. Better than icons (adds written names to potion icons). All quest objectives on map. No fall damage (this one feels a bit cheesy but I prefer it to dying from 1st storey falls). A saddlebag carry limit multiplier mod whose name I forget.

I really wish there was a gwent animation skip mod. I like the game well enough but it can drag a bit with multiple spies and special ability cards

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

DashingGentleman posted:

I use a bunch of little quality-of-life ones. Fast travel from anywhere. Auto-apply oils. Coloured map markers. Better than icons (adds written names to potion icons). All quest objectives on map. No fall damage (this one feels a bit cheesy but I prefer it to dying from 1st storey falls). A saddlebag carry limit multiplier mod whose name I forget.

I really wish there was a gwent animation skip mod. I like the game well enough but it can drag a bit with multiple spies and special ability cards

There's a mod called Enhanced Quen or something like that which allows Geralt to survive high falls if he has a Quen Shield on. It's very cool and doesn't feel like cheating so much, because even the shield can only absorb so much damage (don't expect to fall down from Kaer Trolde and survive it, etc). With that and getting used to rolling when hitting the ground, I never found fall damage to be much of a bother.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
General gear question.
I am fighting my inner loot whore and want to sell as much weapons and armor as possible without selling unique stuff.
So far I held on to green weapons (only the first 2 swords viper school I think) and all orange stuff, unless I got a better version (hello 6 pairs of Assassin pants).

Is there any easy rule what I can safely sell and what is unique?
I know some stuff can be upgraded but I haven't bothered yet.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

Hopper posted:

General gear question.
I am fighting my inner loot whore and want to sell as much weapons and armor as possible without selling unique stuff.
So far I held on to green weapons (only the first 2 swords viper school I think) and all orange stuff, unless I got a better version (hello 6 pairs of Assassin pants).

Is there any easy rule what I can safely sell and what is unique?
I know some stuff can be upgraded but I haven't bothered yet.

No harm holding on to witcher gear, but you can safely sell/dismantle the initial Viper stuff if you're not going to use it anymore - the later version doesn't need it as a base.

Also, most of the relic stuff you find is never unique, with a few unique exceptions. But if you're holding on to stuff, you'll soon be filling your stash with so much poo poo you'll barely be able to open it, when you could be rich(er) instead. I recommend just keeping what you're using, plus spare witcher gear. This is regarding equipment. Other stuff you might want to keep regardless. If you have Blood and Wine, you'll want to keep your mutagens (including monster ones).

Edit: for better clarification, I only kept some stuff out of sentimental value, like some swords that were given to Geralt by a friend, or as specific quest rewards.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Pyromancer posted:

I played through entire game twice(before expansions and with them) and still I'm not entirely sure what the dimeritium bombs actually do against half of the creatures they're supposedly good against.

Maybe it's bugged? I tried them (per Bestiary's recommendation) against the high-level golem added in HoS, and it didn't seem to do anything.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I'm pretty sure dimeritium bombs prevent fire elementals from activating their flame aura, but it's not like it's hard to just Aard the flames off them, and the dimeritium bombs will also prevent you from using any other signs, so it's still probably a bad idea.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Thank you, that helps. I also kept the grey starter swords for sentimental reasons but I'll just sell off orange gear then.

As for mutagens, I'm keeping those anyway never know what they may be good for.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Before selling things, it's worth it to check and see if it will dismantle into anything useful. Some of the best gear in the game is craftable gear (the witcher sets) and you'll usually find that there are a few bottleneck ingredients you always seem to be short on. Sometimes the relic gear will dismantle into it.

I don't remember off the top of my head what those ingredients are, unfortunately.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nycticeius posted:

But if you're holding on to stuff, you'll soon be filling your stash with so much poo poo you'll barely be able to open it
This is true. I actually saved every Relic item I'd picked up in the game and dumped it in my stash before deciding last night to dismantle all of it. That took a while.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A lot of brown rare items can be dismantled into dimeuritium ingots, which you will need a lot of and they aren't cheap.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The Lone Badger posted:

What the other poster said about 10mil, it's also important to remember that the company's Polish, so their money is like hella worthless compared to the dollar, and you could buy a house over there for a bottle of Vodka and a 20pc chicken mcnuggets. They've probably earned almost a billion in Polish monies, so they're totally doing fine for future game polish.

Witcher 3 cost - including marketing and development - about 81 million American, or 315 Polish Zobobalies or whatever the hell they're called. They made 61 million American in PROFIT in the first three months of sales. Another ~40 million American PROFIT in the first half of 2016.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I think that developer wages are also lower in Poland, which turns into a net gain for the company at the expense of employees when factoring in the currency exchange. Maybe comte could elaborate rather than leaving this to conjecture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

Before selling things, it's worth it to check and see if it will dismantle into anything useful. Some of the best gear in the game is craftable gear (the witcher sets) and you'll usually find that there are a few bottleneck ingredients you always seem to be short on. Sometimes the relic gear will dismantle into it.

I don't remember off the top of my head what those ingredients are, unfortunately.

Cured Draconid Leather, Meteorite Silver/Steel Ingots, Dimiterium Ingots/Plates, Infused variants of these, those were the ingredients I had the most trouble getting while making all witcher sets.