Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Miss-Bomarc posted:

(joins call)
"Hi everybody, so this meeting is--
(oh, I better mute my phone so I'm not That rear end in a top hat)
"THANK YOU FOR PRESSING THE MUTE COMMAND."
"YOU ARE NOW MUTED."
"TO UN-MUTE, HIT STAR-6."
"TO PLACE THE CALL ON HOLD, HIT STAR-4."
"TO LEAVE THE CONFERENCE, HIT STAR-2."
"TO HEAR OTHER PHONE COMMAND OPTIONS, HIT STAR-8."
"YOU WILL NOW BE RETURNED TO THE CONFERENCE."
"-omarc? Miss-Bomarc? Hello?"
"THANK YOU FOR PRESSING THE UN-MUTE COMMAND."
"YOU ARE NO LONGER MUTED."
"TO MUTE YOUR HANDSET, HIT STAR-6..."

wow that seems like a terrible system, I can't imagine that's useful to anyone

mishaq posted:

thread over

throver

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Miss-Bomarc posted:

(joins call)
"YOU ARE NOW MUTED."

lol

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

Miss-Bomarc posted:

(joins call)
"YOU ARE NOW MUTED."

do you not just mute your actual phone or what

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
what is tom shitfucker up to these days

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
"IM GOING TO CONFERENCE HIM IN, IS THAT OK?"
"Yeah, that's fine."
*phone rings*
*Voicemail picks up*
"Hi, I'm not available to take your call..."
"OK, HE ISN'T THERE HOW CAN I DISCONNECT HIM FROM THIS?"
*random buttons smashed*
"You have to hit the-"
"...if this requires immediate attention please reach out to my coworker at..."
"HE'S NOT THERE HOW DO I GET RID OF HIM FROM THE CALL."
"Deb, you have to-"
*Call abruptly ends*

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

"IM GOING TO CONFERENCE HIM IN, IS THAT OK?"
"Yeah, that's fine."
*phone rings*
*Voicemail picks up*
"Hi, I'm not available to take your call..."
"OK, HE ISN'T THERE HOW CAN I DISCONNECT HIM FROM THIS?"
*random buttons smashed*
"You have to hit the-"
"...if this requires immediate attention please reach out to my coworker at..."
"HE'S NOT THERE HOW DO I GET RID OF HIM FROM THE CALL."
"Deb, you have to-"
*Call abruptly ends*

how long have you had that name

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
since a kindly mod gave it to me in a namechange thread years ago

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

since a kindly mod gave it to me in a namechange thread years ago

somehow I just now noticed it :shobon:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

ugh, ms teams

its got skype for business fuckery in it in that i get 2 messages, one on each platform

vid is good tho

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Glans Dillzig posted:

do you not just mute your actual phone or what

No, we are not permitted to have "mute" buttons on the actual phone. The idea, as it was explained to me, is that it's an info-security thing. People at neighboring cubicles might have discussions where proprietary information is exchanged, and we have to be able to mute our phones when that happens, BUT without a positive signal that our phone has been muted we can't be sure that it's on mute.

Evidently there's some process by which you can set the menu back to "short" (where it only says "YOU HAVE NOW BEEN MUTED, TO UN-MUTE HIT STAR-6") but:

*You can't get into this conference-call menu unless you're in an actual conference call
*The option is apparently buried three menu levels deep and there's no indication of where you have to go to change it
*It doesn't persist, so you have to do it again every time you dial into a conference.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

why the gently caress is there a code for leaving the conference? does it call you back if you just hang up or something?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Miss-Bomarc posted:

No, we are not permitted to have "mute" buttons on the actual phone. The idea, as it was explained to me, is that it's an info-security thing. People at neighboring cubicles might have discussions where proprietary information is exchanged, and we have to be able to mute our phones when that happens, BUT without a positive signal that our phone has been muted we can't be sure that it's on mute.

Evidently there's some process by which you can set the menu back to "short" (where it only says "YOU HAVE NOW BEEN MUTED, TO UN-MUTE HIT STAR-6") but:

*You can't get into this conference-call menu unless you're in an actual conference call
*The option is apparently buried three menu levels deep and there's no indication of where you have to go to change it
*It doesn't persist, so you have to do it again every time you dial into a conference.

holy gently caress lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Miss-Bomarc posted:

lol

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Miss-Bomarc posted:

Captain Foo posted:

holy gently caress lmao

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
infosec is the realm of a sort of hive-mind autism.

"god, users, rite? it's not like this is difficult stuff!" <sets a mandatory 32 character password limit changed weekly, installs monitoring software that prevents windows core services from running, blocks facebook at work cuz that one girl totally friendzoned them there once>

edit- also, countdown to UMM, ACTUALLY replies

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Iridium posted:

infosec is the realm of a sort of hive-mind autism.

"god, users, rite? it's not like this is difficult stuff!" <sets a mandatory 32 character password limit changed weekly, installs monitoring software that prevents windows core services from running, blocks facebook at work cuz that one girl totally friendzoned them there once>

edit- also, countdown to UMM, ACTUALLY replies

this sort of "infosec" is the worst bullshit

sane, intelligent infosec people are essentially unicorns

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
we just recently adopted a new policy where you have to change your password every sixty day, it has to have at least eight characters and some numbers and some letters.

the olds revolted it was glorious

help desk has to go out and help people change and pick their passwords it's amazing

so many post its with passwords

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
infosec dudes are the worst people in the world. idk how or why it happened, but it's demonstrably true

jfc they suck

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

depends on who you have in your org.

if you just have a bunch of guys that want to run nexpose all day and scream about patching then yeah, they suck.

if you have guys that keep up with the latest vulnerabilities and trends and are constantly pushing to keep a multilayered security profile for the org, then those guys are cool as hell.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

depends on who you have in your org.

if you just have a bunch of guys that want to run nexpose all day and scream about patching then yeah, they suck.

if you have guys that keep up with the latest vulnerabilities and trends and are constantly pushing to keep a multilayered security profile for the org, then those guys are cool as hell.

yeah, fair point

i'm kinda just venting here but ime good infosec guys are the exception. i don't just mean good at their jobs, i mean that and also tolerable in a conversation

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

security driven by a desire to create a trail of blame shift auditing is really not good

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

i've found that the culture of infosec is almost entirely driven by the security officer and/or security director. if he's an audit checklist checker then all the guys under him will be as well.

where I work the fear of audit is what drives everything infosec does. there's nothing proactive accomplished outside of that scope.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if you even have a security director

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

We've actually got a pretty good team that actually implements things, the problem is that the requirements for things were laid on us by customers who are political appointees and don't actually understand what computers can and cannot do.

They are the kind of people who don't believe that a fresh-from-the-package USB stick can have trojan downloaders on it, but they will go to the mattresses before letting you post a picture of the thing you are working on in your cube because "it's prorietary".

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Miss-Bomarc posted:

No, we are not permitted to have "mute" buttons on the actual phone. The idea, as it was explained to me, is that it's an info-security thing. People at neighboring cubicles might have discussions where proprietary information is exchanged, and we have to be able to mute our phones when that happens, BUT without a positive signal that our phone has been muted we can't be sure that it's on mute

wait, isnt not having a mute button a bigger issue since you need to complete multiple steps to mute? that sounds like a ux issue and a security issue. if anything, physical muting gives not only a signal but removes the risk of transmitting audio to a remote location to be handled there

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

also to add, i had a teleconference where i thought it was telepresence video enabled and went through the effort of securing the right meeting room, only to stare at a blank screen on what was a phone call for an hour

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Went through one where the far end played spin the laptop to point it at whoever was taking at a 10 person conference table

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
i think i'm going to randomly start shaming some of my coworkers for "ITsplaining".

i mean partly some of them definitely do so from that condescending place, but also because gently caress communication with peers.

edit- scrum call. boss asks inane question, wordydev starts ITsplaining at him. Click.

Iridium fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Nov 7, 2016

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

one of my coworkers doesnt have a degree and i think hes real insecure about it. he uses so many technical terms when not necessary at all. some favorites i hear just about every day are 'leverage', 'container', 'regression', 'a utility i wrote' ..... :fuckoff:

like eg rather than write a query that joined tables x y z, he leveraged the poo table, 'essentially a container for chome data', to pull this report which aggregates dicks and lomarfs.

i mean there is a place for that but not 24/7

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

He is insecure about it and there is nothing you can do to help that poor man

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

BONGHITZ posted:

Insecure about your post being read?

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
insecure about computer things :(

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

BONGHITZ posted:

BONGHITZ posted:

sounds like we have an echo. can everyone mute their phones for BONGHITZ posts?

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

BONGHITZ posted:

BONGHITZ posted:

BONGHITZ posted:

BONGHITZ posted:

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Agile Vector posted:

he is insecure-He Is Insecure-HE IS INSECURE-HE IS INSECUREFWIPFWIPFWIPFIWPWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
this thread has been a good laugh, thanks all. we'll touch base next week.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

great chat, can you summarise in an email and ill get back to you on the points raised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

can someone forward me the meeting minutes?

• Locked thread