Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

evobatman posted:

Hasn't anyone made custom ROMS for these or something so you can sideload your emulators and game APKs and the Google Play store, and connect a bluetooth controller of your choice? lovely controllers aside, I believe the hardware was just fine as an Android device, it was the business management and lack of third party support that made it a disaster.

Well, that, and it was also less powerful than the average smartphone at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dick Trauma posted:

They had to teach people how to use calculators? :psyduck:

You have to learn how to use various functions of scientific calculators.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBbvmORcgSo

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

Humphreys posted:

Remember those transparent calculators that were put on the overhead projectors?

http://www.flinnsci.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17346

Man. I remember some math teacher having what appeared to be a TI-83 with a transparent screen like that for OH use. It was the weirdest thing.

Jerry Cotton posted:

Only 90s kids will remember penis inspection day.

I remember going into what I thought was a regular health checkup. The doc explained what was going on and I believe my first reaction was, "Nah, that's hosed up and you ain't gonna do poo poo to me."

It was a dark time in our history.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Clitch posted:

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit. I have an Onlive box lying around here, somewhere, and I'm stil LOLin' at that poo poo.

Friend of mine was one of the first OnLive employees. Spent like two years telling me how it was going to revolutionize gaming, all the demo coups at the trade shows, the whole nine yards.

Then it just sort of ... went away I guess. Somehow I couldn't drum up the surprise.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Humphreys posted:

Well when everyone moved from sliderules...

My dad got a TI-30 when they first came out, before that he did all his calculations on a sliderule and he taught me how to use one.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

I used to work at Kinko's (pre-fedex) and the amount of idiot teachers coming in to make copies onto transparencies while breaking the machines was the only part that really got to me about that job.
A teacher once tried running a sheet protector through a Laser printer (he needed a transparency and had no time to run and get one).

The fuser was a mess. I just said gently caress it and junked it. That was a fun day.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spy_Guy posted:

I remember going into what I thought was a regular health checkup. The doc explained what was going on and I believe my first reaction was, "Nah, that's hosed up and you ain't gonna do poo poo to me."

It was a dark time in our history.

Uhh.

Spy_Guy
Feb 19, 2013

:sweden:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

GutBomb posted:

At a friend's house tonight they busted this out of a closet:

Psychedelic Eyeball did a short LP of Puddle for the Ouya. Works really well overall despite the very minor framerate issues.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

För kungen.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Somewhere in my old room is a TI-83 with a weird connector for the overhead projector screen - I inherited mine from a high school teacher friend of the family (he bought himself a fancy silver 83+ model). I remember the projector screen as being kind of crap - low contrast and horrid refresh rate. Still, we borrowed one and played Tetris and Ski or Die in a break for the novelty value.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Man, I miss playing terrible calculator games. Anyone remember DrugWar?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Neito posted:

Man, I miss playing terrible calculator games. Anyone remember DrugWar?

No because that game was banned from school and you weren't allowed to play it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TI-83 had a surprisingly competent port of Bubble Bobble

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Cojawfee posted:

No because that game was banned from school and you weren't allowed to play it.

Man, my school was lame. We never banned anything. Hell, we played Magic for ante for the first couple years. Same with POGs.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
DopeWars was banned in my school too. I remember versions of it on calculators and phones.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I have downloaded and am playing Minions of Mirth, the Everquest You Don't Have to Pay For (TM)

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I never had any cool stuff on my graphing calculator because I lost the transfer kit. I was stuck doodling when I didn't want to pay attention in class.

defaultluser
Jan 13, 2007

The person can drink sake for the following five reasons. First of all, for the national holiday. Moreover, it fills with the nectar. Finally, for reasons. Next, to heal the dryness of the place. After that, to refuse the future
Fun Shoe

Humphreys posted:

Remember those transparent calculators that were put on the overhead projectors?

http://www.flinnsci.com/store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=17346

This was even more impressive:

Useful for teaching the class how to use these new toys.

I'm class of 97, and my high school made buy an 82. I surpassed my teacher by the end of the year, and started programming games on it. I made a dodge game, and a side-scroller shooter, and a scorched earth clone.

I still have dumps of two of those, if I could be bothered to install an emulator I could take pictures.

defaultluser has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Nov 7, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That's what this thread is for.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

evobatman posted:

Hasn't anyone made custom ROMS for these or something.
It was possible to flash it. There's some potential for it being a teeny emulator thing, but even at release it was overpowered by most smartphones connected to a TV with a cable and generic BT controller.

The great fun was watching a company take all the Android phone enthusiast buzzwords and mash it into a pesudo console. One big feature was the "one button root" which quickly faded as it meant you'd be able to side load and avoid the Ouya store.

The "console for all" rapidly built a walled garden and just got mired in hubris and horribly concieved ad campaigns trying to prove their underdoggyness.

The rest was a story about a company who got an unexpected windfall and decided to push their prototype into production well before it was ready and soon the dumpster fire was hard to put out.

They even invoked the Osbourne effect and suggested an Ouya 2 at some point.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

If you want a little ARM computer that runs emulators you might as well just get a Pi 3 and install Retropie on it. It's cheap and it mostly just works.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

SwissCM posted:

If you want a little ARM computer that runs emulators you might as well just get a Pi 3 and install Retropie on it. It's cheap and it mostly just works.

Even my Pi 2 B+ just works. A Pi 3 seems amazing in comparison, which means something like an Ouya is just permanently outdated.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm trying to work out the particulars of building a Pi media panel that cycles through weather, rss, and pictures. Seems like a doable enough project.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SwissCM posted:

I am doing exactly that, and I'm thinking about putting it in an old empty SNES case, just for the hell of it.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Trunko posted:

Good grief did you even watch his ghost busters review? That wasn't his point. At. All.
I watched enough of it to see that he was lying through his teeth about his concerns, if that counts. Yes, Angry Video Game Nerd; these fantastic special effects look crappy and worse than things from the 1990s. You nailed it with your honest critique driven by quality and nothing else.

I will grant that if late in the video he revealed he was pranking everyone I would have had no idea. And as a data-driven information consumer I would have to update my Pop Culture Opinions Database posthaste.

Platystemon posted:

The similarity to “emoticon” is complete coincidence. It comes from Japanese words for “picture” and “character”.
But is its similarity to calling someone "Honored Emo" in Hindi a coincidence? Hmm???

Also oh good lord I just remembered this for the first time in ~20 years. I think I was too young to figure out how to get this terrible homebrew-caliber game running on my system for weeks until someone else did it for me. It was not worth it. Tech moments lost in time like e-tears on rain.com.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OtF2l147b4

Dr. Quarex has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Nov 7, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's really hard for me to care about MRAs (sadsack neckbeards) or the new Ghostbusters movie (mediocre at best).

So here's a game series I just finished collecting (no, I am not getting the portable/mobile-only games, because they suck. I do own RDR and Bully, though).

The first 4 games are definitely relics. GTA, GTA London and GTA2 are of course almost arcade-like in their difficulty, gameplay and controls. And just try and play the original PS2 GTA III without going mad. No free camera control, no option to disable inverted aim, the world's worst targeting system and the overall difficulty is punishing, both because of the other issues and because of ridiculous mission requirements. GTA III is OK on PC, because at least you can use mouse aim, but Vice City is the first 3D GTA that is actually enjoyable to play on the PS2.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

TI Calc talk reminded of this little gem from way back when I actually attended demo parties. (I was one of those kiddies who came for the Counter-Strike and :filez: before broadband at home was a thing.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTdBZffnqfs
I remember the crowd going pretty wild when everyone realized you could get sampled sound out of those things.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

It's really hard for me to care about MRAs (sadsack neckbeards) or the new Ghostbusters movie (mediocre at best).

So here's a game series I just finished collecting (no, I am not getting the portable/mobile-only games, because they suck. I do own RDR and Bully, though).

The first 4 games are definitely relics. GTA, GTA London and GTA2 are of course almost arcade-like in their difficulty, gameplay and controls. And just try and play the original PS2 GTA III without going mad. No free camera control, no option to disable inverted aim, the world's worst targeting system and the overall difficulty is punishing, both because of the other issues and because of ridiculous mission requirements. GTA III is OK on PC, because at least you can use mouse aim, but Vice City is the first 3D GTA that is actually enjoyable to play on the PS2.

I remember playing GTA 1 on Gameboy and having to hide it like it was forbidden fruit. I think 2 and Vice City are still my overall favorites of the series.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I remember GTA on the Gameboy Color, holy poo poo that was hard to play. I'm amazed they got it even halfway decent.

GTA 2 has a great dystopian aesthetic, I kinda wish they would do a near-future GTA like that again. And Vice City is obviously just full-on 80s excess, how can you not love it?

I'm kinda sorta betting GTA VI will be set in Vice City, but probably not during the 80s. A well-realized Vice City akin to Los Santos in GTA V would be amazing, and they could do all kinds of stuff like swamps in the surrounding areas.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Nov 7, 2016

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It would be amazing if someone did a 80s total conversion of GTA V.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I was thinking more like 70s, oil crisis and big mustaches and stuff.

E: They could do a Carcer City (Detroit, basically) based game set in the 70s, and have a dirty cop, a broke hooker and a car thief as the three protagonists. With a thick Dirty Harry aesthetic.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 17:17 on Nov 7, 2016

Veth
May 13, 2002
Homeless Pariah

KozmoNaut posted:

I was thinking more like 70s, oil crisis and big mustaches and stuff.

E: They could do a Carcer City (Detroit, basically) based game set in the 70s, and have a dirty cop, a broke hooker and a car thief as the three protagonists. With a thick Dirty Harry aesthetic.

So a remake of Interstate '76? Sound good to me!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Veth posted:

So a remake of Interstate '76? Sound good to me!

Interstate '76 is coming up on 20 years old. Imagine Interstate '96 coming out next year.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

KozmoNaut posted:

I remember GTA on the Gameboy Color, holy poo poo that was hard to play. I'm amazed they got it even halfway decent.

GTA 2 has a great dystopian aesthetic, I kinda wish they would do a near-future GTA like that again. And Vice City is obviously just full-on 80s excess, how can you not love it?

I'm kinda sorta betting GTA VI will be set in Vice City, but probably not during the 80s. A well-realized Vice City akin to Los Santos in GTA V would be amazing, and they could do all kinds of stuff like swamps in the surrounding areas.

Late 90's to early 2000's would be a worthwhile time and place to explore; especially to explore how much 9/11 changed everything, the various kinds of pop culture stuff to parody and the excesses of the dot-com boom.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Triple A posted:

Late 90's to early 2000's would be a worthwhile time and place to explore; especially to explore how much 9/11 changed everything, the various kinds of pop culture stuff to parody and the excesses of the dot-com boom.

Instead of having to use your cell phone for everything, you just get missions via beeper.

Half the loving playerbase wouldn't even know what it is.

Veth
May 13, 2002
Homeless Pariah

Skoll posted:

Instead of having to use your cell phone for everything, you just get missions via beeper.

Half the loving playerbase wouldn't even know what it is.

No minimap, you just have to know where payphones are. Or ask if you can borrow someone's phone and they'll always say no.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
You could receive a basic cellphone but only after halfway thru the plot and even then, the reception sucks in most parts of the map.

Oh yeah, there would also be plenty of opportunities to parody the early days of the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Most of the cars will have manual transmissions and you'll have to actually shift gears in-game.