Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

PenguinKnight posted:

I pretty much figure that it is either an act, or NM is the most easily amused guy around, or horror stuff on the Internet is just that dire, because there was one series where he was like "this isn't like the other bad black-and-white and grainy series out there" *chanel is exactly that*

As for the rest of youtube thinking it's real, uh, no clue. It feels like spooky stuff has a really low bar on the net, hence every story being hyper-realistic blood and skeletons

it's this. There are like three types of horror that did well and everyone else is just mindlessly mimicking them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I feel like Nick is just kind of dumb and his threshold for "good youtube horror" is "exists." Dude's great at introducing and summarizing stuff, but jesus christ he is the worst at analysis and criticism.

Also the horror short he had on his last candy bowl video was just awful.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The stuff Nick shows is generally the good stuff. This is a condemnation of Youtube ARG-ish horror, not praise of the shows.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Puppy Time posted:

I feel like Nick is just kind of dumb and his threshold for "good youtube horror" is "exists." Dude's great at introducing and summarizing stuff, but jesus christ he is the worst at analysis and criticism.

Also the horror short he had on his last candy bowl video was just awful.

That's kind of a shame. I thought his stuff for BEN was a great summary and coverage of the whole thing but for whatever reason I haven't watched much of his other stuff. Besides BEN does he have anything worth watching?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Tracula posted:

That's kind of a shame. I thought his stuff for BEN was a great summary and coverage of the whole thing but for whatever reason I haven't watched much of his other stuff. Besides BEN does he have anything worth watching?

If you mean his videos, the last candy bowl one was fine, other than the short (which is at the end, so easily avoided), and his summary videos in general are decent enough, so long as one keeps in mind his terrible taste and tendency to go into red string land. The only video that I wouldn't sit through a second time would be the Don't Hug Me I'm Scared one, because the skits are godawful. Of the long series, only Tribe Twelve was boring enough for me to stop watching.

I don't watch his reviews after I tried one and he got a little too het up over the one Slenderman movie. (Haven't seen the movie, it's probably bad, but Nick does not do nerd rage entertainingly.)

I think whether you should watch any video depends on whether you're at least mildly interested in horror and/or the specific series. For me, it's mostly I'm interested in what's out in YouTube horror and what might be interesting to follow, so I watch pretty much every vid he does in case it's interesting, or just to see if anyone's doing something new.

For specific recs... Noc+10 was neat, and I enjoyed the Marble Hornets and Everyman Hybrid series, and the Miscellaneous Slenderman Stories vid, just to get a kind of idea of what the kids were doing in that whole scene.

Mostly it's just kind of randomly pick a video and usually it'll at least be mildly interesting, if you have an interest in internet spooky junk.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I really wish I could see the version of ARGs that Nick does, cause they sound wonderful. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the actual really lovely versions that exist in real life.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Everyman Hybrid was a pretty cool thing to watch happen until it ran completely off the rails with parallel dimension and alternate reality travel junk :shrug:

Alacron posted:

I actually really liked that stuff, but Habit is way too much of a tryhard, super badass killer demon like I used to make up in junior high for me to take seriously

That too.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 7, 2016

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Yardbomb posted:

Everyman Hybrid was a pretty cool thing to watch happen until it ran completely off the rails with parallel dimension and alternate reality travel junk :shrug:

I actually really liked that stuff, but Habit is way too much of a tryhard, super badass killer demon like I used to make up in junior high for me to take seriously

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I think EMH is the highest quality thing I've seen on the Night Minds channel.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Everyman Hybrid is also happening again just as a heads up, couple weeks ago they posted a new thing and it's looking like they're getting back into it or something.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Terrible Opinions posted:

I really wish I could see the version of ARGs that Nick does, cause they sound wonderful. Unfortunately I'm stuck with the actual really lovely versions that exist in real life.

He reminds me of my husband, who will occasionally "not get" a joke, and spend a while trying to figure out what part of the context of this intricate masterwork is missing, when the real answer is that there's no context, he was just expecting way too much from a little joke. (Like, trying to figure out what cultural references are inherent in chickens in order to get why it getting to the other side is funny.)

Most of the time, nothing is that intricate, and you're not missing anything, it's just kind of there to be there.

Yardbomb posted:

Everyman Hybrid is also happening again just as a heads up, couple weeks ago they posted a new thing and it's looking like they're getting back into it or something.

I'm not sure whether I'm interested in more... Habit kind of killed what was interesting about that series.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
Oh hey, Spoony made his yearly Counter Monkey.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Jsor posted:

Oh hey, Spoony made his yearly Counter Monkey.

Speaking of people named Noah releasing videos, Noah Caldwell-Gervais released a channel update!

https://youtu.be/OjDi7XSt6xU

His travel video about the time he traveled the west coast with his buddy in a Mercury Marquis is one of my favorite videos he has made so I am looking forward to the additional travel content.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I just realized one of the reasons why I like NCG's stuff is that his thing could have been a Public Access TV show in the 80s and almost nothing would be different.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The RLM guys owe me some cleaning supplies. I did a spit take at the end of Jay's summation of Dr. Strange. Even Jay laughed at how stupid that joke was.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PenguinKnight posted:

I pretty much figure that it is either an act, or NM is the most easily amused guy around, or horror stuff on the Internet is just that dire, because there was one series where he was like "this isn't like the other bad black-and-white and grainy series out there" *chanel is exactly that*

It's the last two. He has incredibly low standards and his attempts at skits and reading off stuff "in character"(I can't tell if I hate Ben Drowned or just the incredibly cringy acting Nick did) shows he's not exactly a pillar of good taste himself. Of the three main Slender series, only Marble Hornets was any good, and the other two are just. God if I went into everything I detest about TribeTwelve and EverymanHYBRID we'd be here all day, but him lapping them so readily rings alarm bells.

He does have great videos and does cover good material, but it's very 50/50 because the dude is just blind as a bat as to what good horror is. I especially like watching his longer videos because scardey cat me can't watch something like This House Has People In It myself, so him wringing out every last detail of an incredible multimedia experience is a godsend.

Also, this is kind of a side note, but I'm a little uncomfortable how happy he was to play into the "mentally ill people are crazy maniacs!" thing in one of his recent videos without any critical thought about the trope at all.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Mike comes off as such an old man in these HITBs; they really need to stop doing superhero reviews since they have become as formulaic as Marvel movies.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I watched that Sleepwalking Journal thing until the twist Nick was so excited about he couldn't bear to spoil it.

It wasn't worth it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Jsor posted:

I watched that Sleepwalking Journal thing until the twist Nick was so excited about he couldn't bear to spoil it.

It wasn't worth it.

What was it?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

WickedHate posted:

What was it?

Uh, I think aliens. I kind of lost track of the story, but the wife gets mind controlled too and they build a giant beacon... portal... mind control... thing. Then some weird military organization breaks into their house and implants the guy with a chip that they can use to bring him out of hypnosis, followed by a bunch of arg nonsense where the people watching can "join the resistance". The entire neighborhood is mind controlled/sleepwalking by that point and I kind of lost interest, and it's implied that aliens are using it for some sort of hostile takeover of Earth.

It was the most spectacular way for a legitimately interesting set of short videos to gently caress it all up. It's not even the alien angle, per se, but the execution was just garbage and the way they did it lost all of its mystery and turned it into a lovely thriller filmed with a hand cam.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

achillesforever6 posted:

Mike comes off as such an old man in these HITBs; they really need to stop doing superhero reviews since they have become as formulaic as Marvel movies.

I don't think it's because of the Marvel movies, I think Mike is just legitimately becoming an Old Man when it comes to movies.

They can't stop doing the tentpole movies everyone is going to go see, because their audience wants to know what they think about the tentpole movies everyone is going to go see.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

WickedHate posted:

He does have great videos and does cover good material, but it's very 50/50 because the dude is just blind as a bat as to what good horror is. I especially like watching his longer videos because scardey cat me can't watch something like This House Has People In It myself, so him wringing out every last detail of an incredible multimedia experience is a godsend.

Honestly THHPII is super mild and has like two (possibly three) actual scares in the videos, and almost nothing anywhere else but weird suburban idiocy. It's worth the experience if you're into surreal stuff and/or laughing at how weird white people are.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's precisely why I enjoy most of his videos - he talks up these things way more than most of the videos end up being. With the exception of the Comedy Network ones and maybe a couple others the ARGs are nowhere near as cool and believable as he makes them out to be upon actual viewing so I just watch the NM videos instead where he talks them up to be amazing and believable.

It's kinda like watching a mediocre magician next to a kid who's enthralled by the show - it helps make it fun again.

I did turn off the recent one - the "look how crazy and psycho I am" videos were just painfully bad, even when edited down by NM. Also that whole trope really needs to go away.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Also, this is kind of a side note, but I'm a little uncomfortable how happy he was to play into the "mentally ill people are crazy maniacs!" thing in one of his recent videos without any critical thought about the trope at all.

Given how he handled the Alan's autism fairly delicately it's likely that putting the word "criminally" before any mention of mental illness is likely makes him do that.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Does Nick have any GOOD videos? Because I'm getting the implication that everything he likes is bad.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

VolticSurge posted:

Does Nick have any GOOD videos? Because I'm getting the implication that everything he likes is bad.

Don't Hug Me I'm scared, This House Has People In It, Unedited Footage of a Bear, and some others. Nick doesn't have terrible taste, just indiscriminate taste.

(Whether HIS videos on these subjects are good depends on your ability to sit back and enjoy some wild theory-crafting while ignoring more than a few dubious leaps of logic)

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

Don't Hug Me I'm scared, This House Has People In It, Unedited Footage of a Bear, and some others. Nick doesn't have terrible taste, just indiscriminate taste.

(Whether HIS videos on these subjects are good depends on your ability to sit back and enjoy some wild theory-crafting while ignoring more than a few dubious leaps of logic)

I'm fine with theorycrafting. I also didn't mind his SCP video,mostly because at least a couple of those were kinda neat (like the mind-controlling cicada that basically forms something similar to a Genestealer Cult,and the BUS BEETLE or whatever that silly thing is called). Wish he was a little more silly in that video,because most of those things are too goofy to find scary. Speaking of which,what IS SA's general consensus on the SCP thing? I think that there ARE a few legit cool ones amongst all the edgelordy garbage.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

VolticSurge posted:

Speaking of which,what IS SA's general consensus on the SCP thing? I think that there ARE a few legit cool ones amongst all the edgelordy garbage.

I'm partial to the headless highwayman who's always covered in butter.

There used to be an SCP thread in the old GBS where everyone worked together to find the diamonds in the slop, but I think it got swallowed up when GBS 2.0 happened.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 9, 2016

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

dijon du jour posted:

I'm partial to the headless highwayman who's always covered in butter.

There used to be an SCP thread in the old GBS where everyone worked together to find the diamonds in the slop, but I think it got swallowed up when GBS 2.0 happened.

Aw,shame.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The Alan Resnick ones are all really good, as are his videos on Poppy, Noc 10, TWI, Marble Hornets, Twin Peaks, and Aspicio Omniam. DHMIS is a little hampered by his theory crafting and the skits but is at least watchable. I would have liked the SCP one if he picked some of the more subtler ones instead of leaping on the stereotypical monsters that kill you to death.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

There was a newer one on PYF last time I checked

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

The Vosgian Beast posted:

There was a newer one on PYF last time I checked

Found it,thanks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
SCP on the whole is fine, but it's best when it's about WEIRD poo poo, not just SCARY poo poo. Like, too many entries are just 'and if you look at it too long your guts will come out of your eyes and your butt will explode and your family will turn into soup and you'll drink the soup and then puke the soup up and then the SCP will drink the soup, gross and scary huh????'

Like, I love the fiction of this big secret government-ish organization just finding anything that makes people go 'that's hosed up' and putting it in a box and locking it up. That's a fun thing to explore, but the problem is a few SCPs got SUPER popular and then they got a bunch of knockoffs. SCP is best when it's basically a slightly darker Men In Black.

I did like his hosed up cicada thing entry he picked, that was a good example of hosed up and creepy done well.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Some of the better ones are where they fully lean into what the "Safe" category is about; It's perfectly safe so long as you obey certain conditions.

Like the green goo with dozens of miraculous properties that could benefit mankind just don't loving let it touch a dead body under any circumstances. It cannot actually be put to use for any of it's beneficial properties because of the risk it might somehow touch a corpse.

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

James Townsend posted a video with a clickbait title (You won't BELIEVE what's in these tarts!). Then he apparently had a crisis of conscience and changed it to something more forthright. Now he has posted a video explain-apologizing for his actions. Truly he is too pure and good for this internet.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I didn't really bother with Nightmind's SCP and Halloween monsters or w/e cuz they felt like "nick reads a wiki" vids and I'm not in it for just pure nick narration even if the funny voice he puts on is one of he major reasons I find his channel entertaining
Also rlm vids seem hyper generic these days esp. with Marvel reviews but tbf that last part isn't super their fault. Vaguely mock "Tumblr progressives" for your base (lol why aren't you outraged at this u sjws?? Or was this actually PROGRESSIVE gotcha Tumblr you can't even keep it straight!!). Mike was unimpressed. Jay thought it was missing fundamentally competent elements of film but hey man turn off your brain for comic book movies unless they're DC, it was entertaining visual spectacle!!!

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
And I gotta say I don't really care about the doctor strange stuff or any of the actual casting controversy or lack thereof (I took more offense to rlm devil advocating in the context of them consistently pandering to the lamest internet political crowd lately) but man is that whole "hey if they hadn't cast tilda and cast an old Chinese man with a fu Manchu you'd all be like THIS Is RACIST TOO" argument so bad faith and annoying to me the more I hear it. I like Tilda swinton and again I wasn't one of those people outraged about it cuz gently caress stupid comic book movies anyways but my point is... those aren't the only two choices.
It's not just like between Tilda Swinton and loving Pai Mei. If you we're inclined to cast an Asian you could just find an Asian man or lady and make sure they weren't costumed or made to look like a stereotypical mystic Asian sensei??
It's just weird (well, not weird, I guess) to see white dudes mentally struggle with that but I guess these are the same dudes who went "hey brown kids ain't complainin, lookit them playing with the only toys and rolemodels they have to choose!"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
TWO MrBTongue videos within a month of each other!?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

It's a reupload of an earlier video, but it's still the best video he's ever done so it's a good thing to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

New H-bomb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC3OuLU5XCw

• Locked thread