Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Doomhammer posted:

Great, now I want a what If? Batman game where Bruce Wayne became a defence attorney instead of Batman.

I will only accept Will Arnett Bruce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Doomhammer posted:

Great, now I want a what If? Batman game where Bruce Wayne became a defence attorney instead of Batman.

There was a Marvel crossover where Daredevil and Harvey were in the same class at law school.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Noooo Marvel's already getting its crummy fingers in everything in modern culture. Stay away from my gay anime lawyers!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Disney's going to own all anime in like 15 years, better get used to it.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Pick posted:

Noooo Marvel's already getting its crummy fingers in everything in modern culture. Stay away from my gay anime lawyers!

How soon we forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LILhai7IHI

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I'm in the process of playing Case 5 in AA6 and I really haven't liked this prosecutor. Like, most of the prosecutors are smug douchebags, but they're usually smug douchebags who at least think the defendant is guilty and should go to prison. But this fucker is literally trying to murder you via the Defense Culpability Act. I'm sure he has some sob story explanation (it's already being hinted at), but I don't think there's much excuse for "literally tried to smugly kill Phoenix and Maya."

Simon was much better. He didn't come off like a bad person (he would generally seek the truth in his trials) and had a more fun/interesting personality, too.

edit: Same goes for Klavier, that guy owns and is clearly a good person.

edit2: I actually don't mind Rayfa, though; she is young and has an excuse for her beliefs, and clearly is struggling with what's been happening.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 4, 2016

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Ytlaya posted:

So I'm in the process of playing Case 5 in AA6 and I really haven't liked this prosecutor. Like, most of the prosecutors are smug douchebags, but they're usually smug douchebags who at least think the defendant is guilty and should go to prison. But this fucker is literally trying to murder you via the Defense Culpability Act. I'm sure he has some sob story explanation (it's already being hinted at), but I don't think there's much excuse for "literally tried to smugly kill Phoenix and Maya."

Simon was much better. He didn't come off like a bad person (he would generally seek the truth in his trials) and had a more fun/interesting personality, too.

It's not just you. Sahdmadhi is the worst prosecutor in this series, bar none. Even Barnham had a dog that made me not hate him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pick posted:

RDJ had a guest starring role in this game dude it's already way past too late

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Lurdiak posted:

The game takes place after Harvey's been rehabilitated so he's totally normal at first and then relapses and inexplicably gets his scarred face back whenever the defense seems like they've won the case, at which point he acts way scarier and randomly fires a machine gun into the air.

Case 4 is the flashback case where Harvey's girlfriend Pamela Isley testifies against the obviously guilty Sal Maroni. She hides in a giant flower to feign timidity, green veins show up on her face when she's pissed and she reveals her true form by undergoing gestation in the rose then bursting out all green and commanding man-eating plants. Sal Maroni gets pissed at the end of the case and tosses acid into Harvey's face.

Oh god this game would work

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm okay with this proposition, but only if Bruce Wayne gels his hair up to resemble the ears on Batman's cowl. Hair spikes are the source of a defense attorney's power.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Please don't taint my Gay Lawyers with this bullcrap.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I can see it. Bruce is at the end of his rope, head in his hands, Judge is about to swing his gavel and hand down the verdict, when he suddenly sees a brief flash of a silhouette against a dark background, and a familiar voice echoes in his head:

"Why do we fall, sir?"

:objection:

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm extremely late but i finally beat the main game.

Case 5 spoilers Like, holy poo poo! There was so much happening so quickly in this case that I barely had time to process each new revelation. First Dhurke ends up being awesome, followed by that bizarre cave spelunking part. We find some moron guilty of murder but then everyone just forgets all about it forever (I loving loved the drone so much though). Then Inga ups and dies and WTF Ga'ran is prosecuting now?! And then it turns out Dhurke was actually Maya/Amara THE ENTIRE TIME! :aaaaa:

It was absolutely baffling, but I loved every second of case 5. Time to tackle the DLC.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Playing through the final trial of case five now and I gotta say, I'm finding it pretty tedious.

More than that though, these games have a real problem with giving heinous characters sympathetic motivations and expecting the player to feel that justifies their actions. Nahyuta is maybe the worst case yet. So alright, he's trying to protect Rayfa, but he is still a character who took pleasure in the idea of sending Lawyers to their deaths. He spoke with glee about sending Nick to hell, and was prepared to do the same to Apollo. Even if it was "just an act", it demonstrates he was essentially willing to play apart in sending innocent people to die.

On top of that, his reasoning and motivation loving sucks. "The sins of the father are visited upon the children" - well you know what Nahyuta? YOU still ended up a loving prosecutor trusted by the royal family, so it can't be that loving bad. Especially considering Rayfa is essential to the royal family as she is the only character who we see is able to conduct the Seance, and she's Ga'ran's sole heir. Seriously, gently caress Nahyuta and his flimst reasoning. It would have been so much more interesting if he has just been a dude who was brainwashed by a corrupt government.

Dhurke is also a loving rear end in a top hat who plays with Apollo's life. He sends Apollo into the final trial knowing that, in court, Apollo is going to have to both realise and prove he's already dead? Even before the trial I thought it was kinda hosed up he was gambling with his son's life, but now? Dhurke has no life to lose - but he still sends his son into court to face near impossible odds and die. "A father would do anything for his kids"? How about "move on and not risk their lives for your own reasons" you duckhead

Gotta be honest, I'm feeling more and more drained as this case goes on, and I care less and less about the people involved.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Finally sat down to finish the DLC Case. Cute but nowhere near as good as 5's DLC the final train of thought literally being "the murderer used the murder weapon" was THE lamest. Ditto for it just having a clock in it all along. Buuuuuut everything after was super cute and romantic :3: best veredict ever.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

The DLC case is an average Case 3 that could have been slotted in literally any game in the series. No mood matrix, no divination seance, no tell-spotting, like one psyche-lock sequence, not even a game-specific prosecutor. It is the quintessential Perfectly Generic Case.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TheKingofSprings posted:

RDJ had a guest starring role in this game dude it's already way past too late

People keep saying this but I didn't see him. I must have missed it somewhere.

Was it during Johnny Depp's guest appearance?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Calico Heart posted:

On top of that, his reasoning and motivation loving sucks. "The sins of the father are visited upon the children" - well you know what Nahyuta? YOU still ended up a loving prosecutor trusted by the royal family, so it can't be that loving bad. Especially considering Rayfa is essential to the royal family as she is the only character who we see is able to conduct the Seance, and she's Ga'ran's sole heir. Seriously, gently caress Nahyuta and his flimst reasoning. It would have been so much more interesting if he has just been a dude who was brainwashed by a corrupt government.

I don't super care for Nahyuta, but in his defense on this point, the implication there is that if he doesn't become Ga'ran's pet prosecutor, she'll 'find new information' about Rayfa actually being Dhurke's daughter and then have both of them executed under the DC act.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Danaru posted:

I don't super care for Nahyuta, but in his defense on this point, the implication there is that if he doesn't become Ga'ran's pet prosecutor, she'll 'find new information' about Rayfa actually being Dhurke's daughter and then have both of them executed under the DC act.

But there's no way she'd actually do that if she wanted to keep the support of Amara.

Thinking on it, since Nahyuta didn't know that Amara was alive, he'd have no way of knowing that. Another classic Ace Attorney villain juggling act.

Plom Bar fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 6, 2016

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
But he did know, didn't he? I'm pretty sure that's part of why he didn't want to rattle the cage.

While it's not exactly the most logical conclusion to come to, I can't really fault the guy for wanting to protect his sister and mother. Stuff like Apollo gambling Maya's life was weirder, when it didn't actually matter in the end. I'm still not entirely sure why needing a channeler was a huge break. If he loses the holy mother's statue, he never even gets to have someone channel it, so Maya will be useless to him. Why not kill her if that's the case?

smenj
Oct 10, 2012
Maybe I interpreted it wrongly, but I'd thought that whole (Case 5) 'The sins of the father will be visited upon his children' thing, or however it was worded, wasn't trying to imply some strictly legal 'Children can be tried for their parents' crimes' rule, but instead just some kind of prejudice within the religion, or implication of some kind of mystical bad karma being passed on.

EDIT: Suppose I should be clear, this was in response to people suggesting above that the real threat of revealing Rayfa was Dhurke's daughter was that she could then be tried for his crimes, whereas I thought it simply meant her reputation would be severely tarnished, and she never become ruler, probably have her life ruined, etc.

smenj fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 7, 2016

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

It's dumb either way, Nahyuta is the worst prosecutor, Datz Are'bahl for president 2k16

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Danaru posted:

Yeah, except that Nahyuta being Dhurke's son is common knowledge and they've had by Nahyuta's own admission 15 years to do anything about it. He was "shunned", but he still become Top Dog Prosecutor of the whole country. The game just says there will be consequences even though the one similar example we have (Nahyuta) doesn't support that - and keep in mind, Rayfa is the sole heir Ga'ran has. If they're lenient enough on Nahyuta to allow him to become a national hero then why the heck would Rayfa be in any actual danger? In fact if Ga'ran came out and said "Rayfa is Amara's daughter" and we buy the "sins of the father" schtick then wouldn't Ga'ran be guilty under the DC act of protecting a criminal? What's she going to say, "sorry, I thought I did give birth?"

"sins of the father" is this games "dark age of the law" - a vague phrase they throw out there in the hopes of the player using it to fill in the blanks when its really just shoddy and unspecific storytelling.

For real, I haven't finished the last case yet, but it is really suffering from the writers trying to one-up themselves. They piled so many plot twists and crazy moments on top of each other that the character motivations are foggy at best and the actual plot is a complete mess.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Plom Bar posted:

It's dumb either way, Nahyuta is the worst prosecutor, Datz Are'bahl for president 2k16

Datz Are'bahl is Datz Our'Boi

oh poo poo what up

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014

The Doomhammer posted:

The Wayne-Wright Offices from the team up in a crossover would be ripe for the wheel pun pickings.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Would Dick be Bruce's Maya?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Waffleman_ posted:

Would Dick be Bruce's Maya?

Bruce - Nick
Dick - Maya
Alfred - Mia
Gordon - Gumshoe
Dent - Edgeworth
??? - The Judge
Jason Todd - Case 5 special prosecutor

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

Bruce - Nick
Dick - Maya
Alfred - Mia
Gordon - Gumshoe
Dent - Edgeworth
??? - The Judge

Barbara - Ema

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

Bruce - Nick
Dick - Maya
Alfred - Mia
Gordon - Gumshoe
Dent - Edgeworth
??? - The Judge

Gordon is the Judge (somehow) and Bullock is Gumshoe. "I ain't gonna help you, bat-freak! Ok fine I'll help you."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Gordon is the Judge (somehow) and Bullock is Gumshoe. "I ain't gonna help you, bat-freak! Ok fine I'll help you."

Yeah, this is accurate. Bullock is way more Gumshoe than Gordon is.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

Bruce - Nick
Dick - Maya
Alfred - Mia
Gordon - Gumshoe
Dent - Edgeworth
??? - The Judge

What a lame case 5 prosecutor....

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

What a lame case 5 prosecutor....

He'll be dressed as the Arkham Knight and it'll just be super predictable and disappointing for everyone involved.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

Still on final trial

This last trial just seems like a total mess. So many twists are piled on top of each other, the bad guy is basically proven to be the killer and then Nahyuta, giving no evidence says "I'm the killer", then when he retracts that statement you have to re-prove who killed Inga? I mean I get it, the case didn't feel over, but... the whole thing is so convoluted, so confused, that when they went "Dhurke's clothes! Those are the key!" My reaction was just "why?" When there is so much shot happening in this case, with so little of it making sense, and some new element introduced every five minutes, they could have said anything was the thing they needed to re-think and I probably would have gone with it. I mean gently caress it, the dudes clothes are covered in blood and several bullet jokes, and they clearly don't look like that in the seance - but why the gently caress not? The case is too tiring to do anything other than passively accept things. think I would be more forgiving to this case if there were an emotional throughlind, but honestly the whole Sadmadhi family seem to be inconsiderate and schizophrenic in their allegiances and motivations, not to mention the fact that these sympathetic characters are all basically working with a tyrant to prolong her rule and kill innocent people and pervert the law.

I love me some Ace Attorney. I love that it's crazy and dumb and I even love it for its bullshit, but this trial has done something no final case has ever done to me before: I don't care. I'm bored of it. I love the premise, and I love some of the things it does in theory, and I was so ready to be on board with it after hearing it hyped up and loving the rest of the game, but god drat, all I want is for it to end. I think I'm probably alone on this opinion.

Don't wanna be a negative nancy here. It's an ambitious case that has some cool moments. At the very least in this case I loved Armie and Datz is super fun, and there's some real cool music in it.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 7, 2016

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Carlosologist posted:

Bruce - Nick
Dick - Maya
Alfred - Mia
Gordon - Gumshoe
Dent - Edgeworth
??? - The Judge

Judge should be the same Judge no matter the crossover.

Now I'm imagining an old-school Justice League International version. Ralph and Sue Dibny in the Nick and Maya roles (and they're based on Nick and Nora Charles, heh).

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

^ don't worry man I agree with you 100%.

E: i mean the guy above the post above this

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Gordon's role is what Edgeworth does now. Bullock is the detective, Barbara is the Apollo, and the various Robins are the assistants. The Judge is still the same Judge. Borrowing from Batman Begins, the mentor character is Ducard and is revealed in case 5 to be Ras Al Ghul. He wears a business suit but after being exposed starts wearing his traditional costume and acts all crazed like he just emerged from a Lazarus pit. This is why he was so famous as the king of "revivals" in unwinnable cases.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

Shut up about batman you loving nerds

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I forgot how bad Calisto's Objection is! The sound quality is awful and she's barely intelligible! God, say what you will about the switch to professional VAs, but at least they deliver acceptable quality, despite their vocal choices.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I always chalked that up to poor speakers/sound chips in the DS to be honest. Anyway, I finished 6-5, finally. The length didn't grate on me quite as much as some since I ended up spacing it out over several days, but for all the strong points it seriously does go on for at least a couple tesimonies too long. As for Nahyuta I actually would have been okay with his arc, if he'd just you know, actually apologized and admitted he was wrong to everyone. Seriously, did I miss that exchange or did the entire cast just sort of drop it as soon as the trial ended?

Overall I preferred AA5, but I don't think this one was terrible or anything. Really, my only major problem was dragging out the final case to the point where it couldn't really live up to the hype. Still, at least I've got AAInvestigations 2 to look forward to now. Will we finally learn the terrible secret that led to Edgeworth wearing glasses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I'm just getting started on the trials for the DLC case and i'm getting kind of annoyed with how they always make Ema look dumb. C'mon Ema, of course the body wouldn't fall face up if he was hit from behind, why do I have to tell you this?