Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Darth Walrus posted:

There was also her blowup with Benjanun Sriduangkaew, in which she initially came across as the victim and then... uhh... less so (long story short, Sriduangkaew was revealed to be a highly vitriolic Internet personality called requireshate, an expose of her won an award for sci-fi journalism, and then it turned out that while she had been a bit of an rear end in a top hat, Kiernan and a cabal of other authors had either distorted or outright fabricated most of her worst offences because they were super mad about being called racist, and were trying to drive her out of the industry). Can't help but wonder if that's damaged her with some publishers.

Holy crap, I can't possibly imagine reading something that long that is just about in-scene drama.

I just started Barron's Swift to Chase, it's pretty fantastic so far. Alaska as a setting suits his style very very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Darth Walrus posted:

There was also her blowup with Benjanun Sriduangkaew, in which she initially came across as the victim and then... uhh... less so (long story short, Sriduangkaew was revealed to be a highly vitriolic Internet personality called requireshate, an expose of her won an award for sci-fi journalism, and then it turned out that while she had been a bit of an rear end in a top hat, Kiernan and a cabal of other authors had either distorted or outright fabricated most of her worst offences because they were super mad about being called racist, and were trying to drive her out of the industry). Can't help but wonder if that's damaged her with some publishers.

Requires Hate was a horrendous person, and anyone opposed to her certainly can't be all bad

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've only read one of Kiernan's novels--Murder of Angels--and really enjoyed it. I thought it was the sort of work that would be a lock for fans of Gaiman and Karen Berger era Vertigo comics.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Requires Hate was a horrendous person, and anyone opposed to her certainly can't be all bad

Same.

I kinda wrote Kiernan off after she ranted about hating ebooks on her facebook and pretty much said she'll block anyone who disagrees with her. A dude that literally couldn't move explained to her that he can only read on digital devices and thus he wouldn't have read her books if they hadn't been available as ebooks. She kinda poo poo on him and went ''Well that's obviously an exception and it's really lovely of you to bring this up.''

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Read the link. Requires Hate's schtick was going super-aggressive against anything she percieved as bigotry in sci-fI and fantasy, which meant that she could frequently come across as an rear end in a top hat but tended to make enemies who were even worse. The Kiernan incident was one of those.

Remember that the Mixon report, which ended up being the source on most of her bad behaviour online, was mainly sourced from one of her proto-Rabid Puppy stalkers, and that Mixon never bothered to mention this.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Darth Walrus posted:

Read the link. Requires Hate's schtick was going super-aggressive against anything she percieved as bigotry in sci-fI and fantasy, which meant that she could frequently come across as an rear end in a top hat but tended to make enemies who were even worse. The Kiernan incident was one of those.

Remember that the Mixon report, which ended up being the source on most of her bad behaviour online, was mainly sourced from one of her proto-Rabid Puppy stalkers, and that Mixon never bothered to mention this.

Suuuuuuuuuurrrreeeeeeeeeeeee

I'll go get raped by dogs as penance

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Suuuuuuuuuurrrreeeeeeeeeeeee

I'll go get raped by dogs as penance

Again, read the link. That turned out to be a fabrication by one of her stalkers. She's said some pretty questionable poo poo, and she's often been meaner than the situation really warrants, but she's also been subject to an intense defamation campaign that should be familiar if you've ever seen what happens to high-profile non-white women calling out racism (see also, NK Jemisin, who Requireshate has chewed out but who I believe later came to her defence as the defamation campaign picked up speed).

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Darth Walrus posted:

Again, read the link. That turned out to be a fabrication by one of her stalkers. She's said some pretty questionable poo poo, and she's often been meaner than the situation really warrants, but she's also been subject to an intense defamation campaign that should be familiar if you've ever seen what happens to high-profile non-white women calling out racism (see also, NK Jemisin, who Requireshate has chewed out but who I believe later came to her defence as the defamation campaign picked up speed).

In which keeping track of usernames counts as e-stalking

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

In which keeping track of usernames counts as e-stalking

The stalker in question also doxxed her and imitated her on Twitter. There's also testimony about physical, real-world stalking, not just the Internet kind.

Come on, man.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Please everyone shut up and talk about books

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
That requireshate creep is not someone who needs defending. spend your time and effort elsewhere.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
who could possibly care about this niche genre nerd slapfight

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

chernobyl kinsman posted:

who could possibly care about this niche genre nerd slapfight

Literally the only person on SA who has agreed with Darth Walrus on this has been Effectronica which really ought to tell you something

and for content: just finished the extended edition of Joshi's Lovecraft biography, clocking in at 500,000 words (about 30 words for every day Lovecraft was alive) and it was bizarrely fun and readable. Also this bit about Lovecraft's mom (from a neighbour of hers) is great:

quote:

I met her often on the Butler Avenue cars, and one day after many urgent invitations I went in to call upon her. She was considered then to be getting rather odd. My call was pleasant enough but the house had a strange and shutup air and the atmosphere seemed weird and Mrs. Lovecraft talked continuously of her unfortunate son who was so hideous that he hid from everyone and did not like to walk upon the streets where people could gaze at him.
When I protested that she was exaggerating and that he should not feel that way, she looked at me with a rather pitiful look as though I did not understand about it. I remember that I was glad to get out in the fresh air and sunshine and that I did not repeat my visit.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

She's said some pretty questionable poo poo, and she's often been meaner than the situation really warrants

Well that's certainly a tame way to say "routinely posted death and rape threats"

Has anybody heard from Richard Paul Russo lately? It's been a couple years since I learned that he was working on a sequel to Ship of Fools and I haven't heard any buzz since then.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 7, 2016

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Buca di Bepis posted:

Has anybody heard from Richard Paul Russo lately? It's been a couple years since I learned that he was working on a sequel to Ship of Fools and I haven't heard any buzz since then.
This is amazing news.

Edit: College Slice??

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Buca di Bepis posted:

Well that's certainly a tame way to say "routinely posted death and rape threats"

Did you hear that through these forums? That was based on a goon recounting talking with him in person so who knows how firm those plans were.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neurosis posted:

Did you hear that through these forums? That was based on a goon recounting talking with him in person so who knows how firm those plans were.

There have been some vague mentions in interviews. 'Here's a summary of a 2008 one that hints at a sequel. Here's a more direct statement, from a French publication.

The issue, of course, is that most of what you can find is several years old at this point, so I suspect any work on a sequel stalled, if it was even started at all.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
While it's not Cosmic Horror, I did just finish The Dream-Quest of Vellitt Boe by Kij Johnson. It's set in Lovecraft's Dreamlands. Vellitt Boe is a professor Ulthar's College for Women and one of her students has eloped to the waking world with a dreamer. Boe sets out to try and chase her down and contends with ghould, ghasts, gugs and all manner of Dreamlands stuff. It's an enjoyable story with a different look at Lovecraft's setting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Neurosis posted:

That was me but there's no way I'm going to bug the guy again with a personal email. I don't even care so much about a sequel in particular, I've enjoyed most of what he's written but he's never had much of a public persona and that makes me a little sad.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 8, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Buca di Bepis posted:

I'm being tame because while her actual behaviour was unpleasant, and her efforts to cover it up troublesome, what she was genuinely responsible for is way less than what she's accused of doing. Seriously, I get lots of folks aren't all that interested in author drama (even if the folks responsible for this genre were amongst the richest sources of drama in their field), but if you're going to spew poo poo like this, at least bother to do some goddamned reading, because it's a story that reveals an uglier and further-reaching mess in the fantasy/horror community than just 'newbie author was a cyber-bully'.

Sorry about derailing the thread like this, but given the highly charged origins of cosmic horror and weird fantasy, it can be hard not to have the politics creep in every so often. Anyway, back to discussing things that care not for race, colour, or creed, because we're all crunchy and good with ketchup.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Joke question: do we consider Dr Strange Cosmic Horror? :iamafag:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

I'm being tame because while her actual behaviour was unpleasant, and her efforts to cover it up troublesome, what she was genuinely responsible for is way less than what she's accused of doing. Seriously, I get lots of folks aren't all that interested in author drama (even if the folks responsible for this genre were amongst the richest sources of drama in their field), but if you're going to spew poo poo like this, at least bother to do some goddamned reading, because it's a story that reveals an uglier and further-reaching mess in the fantasy/horror community than just 'newbie author was a cyber-bully'.

Sorry about derailing the thread like this, but given the highly charged origins of cosmic horror and weird fantasy, it can be hard not to have the politics creep in every so often. Anyway, back to discussing things that care not for race, colour, or creed, because we're all crunchy and good with ketchup.

shuuuuttt uppp

Hate Fibration
Apr 8, 2013

FLÄSHYN!

Helical Nightmares posted:

Joke question: do we consider Dr Strange Cosmic Horror? :iamafag:

Cosmically horrible, at least

:downsrim:

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Oh yeah but I was interested in what they had to say.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I just finished Hex. I quite liked it. The ending was a bit muddled since it leans so heavily on the "humanity is the true evil"-angle but the witch still makes almost the entire town drown themselves and makes people kill themselves if they hear her whispers and hangs a dog out of spite. I thought he was going for a "Kathrine is a powerless scapegoat and the town itself as a tainted place that is causing everything"-angle at first but it didn't pan out. What exactly are the differences between the Dutch ending and the American one?

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 14, 2016

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

FreudianSlippers posted:

What exactly are the differences between the Dutch ending and the American one?

No one knows.

Seriously, multiple people have asked in this thread and the genchat thread and I wasn't able to find anything through searches back when I finished the book.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

No one knows.

Seriously, multiple people have asked in this thread and the genchat thread and I wasn't able to find anything through searches back when I finished the book.

I found this posted in the comment section of a review from three months ago. I do not know how accurate it is.

Okay. So. The ending! MASSIVE SPOILERS ALL AROUND of course.
This is slightly complicated, since apparently he's changed the names, as well?

The ending is kind of long, I'd say it starts when the youngest son is admitted. But skipping to the end of the ending: it turns into into an orgy of torture like an Hieronymus Bosch painting of Hell. This is, of course, imagery we are all more or less familiar with over here, since the guy was Dutch and we all learned about him in
school. Nice echo of the 'just a village like all those you know so well'-horror trope.

The dad is led through all these horrors and recognizes each of them as a mirror image of things the villagers did
to the witch (I thought this was a bit far fetched at times, your mileage may vary). In the end, he realises that he must choose the thing he loves most. He runs between dozens of pot holes filled with people while it rains burning coals, carrying a single pot hole cover, finds wife + youngest son but jumps in the seemingly empty hole next to them, because we've know which son he would choose since chapter two or so.

He then wakes up in his own house to someone thumping the front door, and doesn't open it, because he knows that even if it is the person he wants it to be, it wouldn't end well.

And then the author apologizes for throwing us into a pit of despair.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Ornamented Death posted:

I found this posted in the comment section of a review from three months ago. I do not know how accurate it is.

Okay. So. The ending! MASSIVE SPOILERS ALL AROUND of course.
This is slightly complicated, since apparently he's changed the names, as well?

The ending is kind of long, I'd say it starts when the youngest son is admitted. But skipping to the end of the ending: it turns into into an orgy of torture like an Hieronymus Bosch painting of Hell. This is, of course, imagery we are all more or less familiar with over here, since the guy was Dutch and we all learned about him in
school. Nice echo of the 'just a village like all those you know so well'-horror trope.

The dad is led through all these horrors and recognizes each of them as a mirror image of things the villagers did
to the witch (I thought this was a bit far fetched at times, your mileage may vary). In the end, he realises that he must choose the thing he loves most. He runs between dozens of pot holes filled with people while it rains burning coals, carrying a single pot hole cover, finds wife + youngest son but jumps in the seemingly empty hole next to them, because we've know which son he would choose since chapter two or so.

He then wakes up in his own house to someone thumping the front door, and doesn't open it, because he knows that even if it is the person he wants it to be, it wouldn't end well.

And then the author apologizes for throwing us into a pit of despair.

Sounds kinda lame and kinda amazing.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
So it seems like a lot of anthologies and collections get brought up in this thread - does anyone have any recommendations for one where the stories are of pretty consistently good quality?

Also I read the Dunwich Horror recently, Lovecraft's attempts at regional dialect really are quite something.

Roark
Dec 1, 2009

A moderate man - a violently moderate man.

Owlkill posted:

So it seems like a lot of anthologies and collections get brought up in this thread - does anyone have any recommendations for one where the stories are of pretty consistently good quality?

Also I read the Dunwich Horror recently, Lovecraft's attempts at regional dialect really are quite something.

The Vandermeer edited anthology The Weird is very solid. At 100+ stories and roughly 1200 pages, there's a few stinkers, but overall it's a good collection that covers the gamut of Weird.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Owlkill posted:

Book of Cthulhu I & II, the Black Wings collections, and New Cthulhu all get brought up a lot. I think there may be some crossover between New Cthulhu and the Books, but I can't remember how much offhand.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
The first volume of Dead but Dreaming has also been consistently reviewed rather highly. I have a copy, but I haven't got around to it yet.

Of course the real problem with anthologies is that they're like double albums: every review starts with, "it's a bit padded, but if you stripped it down it would be the best ever", only every reviewer has their own idea as to how that culling would take place.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Not related to the best of the Weird collection discussion.

I'm almost done with Laird Barron's most recent collection Swift to Chase. I like it. Barron does something different with these stories. It's not just a rehashing of old themes. I think there are less (not none, less) "Outer Gods/cultists" and more character driven stories in this collection. The futuristic story with the "dog" is entertaining and interesting.

Recommended if you like Barron or want to try more of the Weird and not just neo-Lovecraftian Mythos stories.

The vampire and werewolf deconstructions and how they feed into Barron's established Carnivorous Cosmos Mythos, are very well done

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Owlkill posted:

Aside from what's been mentioned so far, the Laird Barron tribute anthology, The Children of Old Leech, is surprisingly good and well worth a read. A number of the stories serve as prequels or sequels to Barron's own stories, so it can be helpful to be familiar with the source material, but it's not strictly necessary.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Worlds of Hurt by Brian Hodges was Extremely good. More three short stories and a novella than a collection, though.

I loved The Shallows too, which is definitely a collection. Really found the sweet spot between literary and trashy horror that sits right in my comfort zone.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
You'll be pleased to know Hodge is writing more in the World of Hurt (Misbegotten Cosmos is the official name iirc). Which makes me very happy. I think Hodge is my favourite current horror writer, though Barron's absolute best is maybe a little better for my money, he's just far less consistent... And when Hodge writes traditional cosmic horror like For Whom the Gods Must Destroy he knocks it out of the park.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Neurosis posted:

You'll be pleased to know Hodge is writing more in the World of Hurt (Misbegotten Cosmos is the official name iirc). Which makes me very happy. I think Hodge is my favourite current horror writer, though Barron's absolute best is maybe a little better for my money, he's just far less consistent... And when Hodge writes traditional cosmic horror like For Whom the Gods Must Destroy he knocks it out of the park.

Ooooh, I really like Hodge and Worlds of Hurt especially.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
man i just read the first story in worlds of hurt and that poo poo is goddamn soul-crushing

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

man i just read the first story in worlds of hurt and that poo poo is goddamn soul-crushing

That's probably the "lightest" story in the collection. Hodge is a master of his craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Please report back after you've finished the book.