Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Clipperton posted:

This is interesting, as I read the first chapter of EITA and it just seemed too painfully generic to go on (and I made it to the end of Red Queen). I take it things pick up after that?

It remains fairly generic in it's structure, but it develops beyond Plain-Jane stands up against the evil dystopian government and steps firmly into the fantasy genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

It remains fairly generic in it's structure, but it develops beyond Plain-Jane stands up against the evil dystopian government and steps firmly into the fantasy genre.

Back on the list it goes! I'll get to it once I'm done with GONE by Michael Grant, which is pretty great so far and reads like a YA Stephen King novel (they're even under a dome! although I'm pretty sure this came out before Under The Dome). It isn't pulling any punches either--the dead baby scene was rough.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Anyone else read The Lockwood and Co. Latest book? I want to discuss how somewhat disappointed I am by it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
My sister just texted me that the new Rick Rordian book is coming out Oct 6 and having looked up the synopsis I can't wait

quote:

Magnus Chase has seen his share of trouble. Ever since that terrible night two years ago when his mother told him to run, he has lived alone on the streets of Boston, surviving by his wits, staying one step ahead of the police and truant officers.

One day, Magnus learns that someone else is trying to track him down—his uncle Randolph, a man his mother had always warned him about. When Magnus tries to outmaneuver his uncle, he falls right into his clutches. Randolph starts rambling about Norse history and Magnus’s birthright: a weapon that has been lost for thousands years.

The more Randolph talks, the more puzzle pieces fall into place. Stories about the gods of Asgard, wolves, and Doomsday bubble up from Magnus’s memory. But he doesn’t have time to consider it all before a fire giant attacks the city, forcing him to choose between his own safety and the lives of hundreds of innocents. . . .

Sometimes, the only way to start a new life is to die.
:black101: Bring on the Norse gods!!! :black101:

Then we can have a cross over of the likes not seen since the greatest game of all time Age of Mythology :getin:

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
So I just thought of the greatest part of The Bitter Kingdom's audiobook: The chapters narrated from Hector's Point of View start with "Chapter N -- Hector" and the way the narrator says it is the greatest thing ever.

In related news, I've been listening to Trial By Fire which is a pretty neat book so far. I heard the sequel was bad, but I might get it anyway.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
So I just finished the Magnus Chase book. Obligatory "I really enjoyed it, it was very entertaining, loved the characters, looking forward to more," etc so forth. That loving sword was probably my favorite character.

That said...I don't know if I'm imagining it, but it definitely reads more satirical, almost to the point of parody, than his last couple books. I mean, these books have always been jokesy and referential, and maybe it's just the way Magnus' specific personality comes across, but I'd say about 90-95% of the book is just flat-out comedy with maybe 5-10% having anything to do with real stakes. Part of the reason might be because Norse mythology is really on a whole other level of hosed up madness than Greek myths, and you kind of have to go full-tilt on the self-awareness. There's no way to play most of this stuff straight. And Riordan might just enjoy more flippant stuff than heavy doomgloom all the time.

I just hope he doesn't go all Piers Anthony and lose the real heart of his stories to an excess of puns. I mean...I know that's not gonna happen, but at the same time I also hope it doesn't happen. :shobon:

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

The sword is way too op

Also (end of book spoilers): I'm kind of bummed that Loki is villainous in this. Would have loved a more heroric take on him

Ither fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Nov 19, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ither posted:

The sword is way too op

Also (end of book spoilers): I'm kind of bummed that Loki is villainous in this. Would have loved a more heroric take on him

If you like Loki and mythology all that bi-hizz-ness then you'd probably really enjoy the series (now complete, I believe) Runemarks.

I thought it was pretty fun.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Grabbed a few new YA novels over the past couple of months.

1) A Matter of Heart by Amy Fellner Dominy - A book with about a girl who wants to be an Olympic swimmer, but a heart condition get in the way and prevents her from doing so.

2) Stand Off by Andrew Smith - The second book in the Winger Series.

3) Juniors - by Kaui Hart Hemmings - A book about the daughter of a famous actress and how she has to adjust to life in Hawaii.

I haven't had a chance to read them yet, but I will be reading them early next year.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
This might be a better place to ask than the general chatter thread:

Any opinions on Maximum Ride? I read a bit of the comics and it seemed like an interesting concept.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I read the first two books in The Bone Season recently, and they're fun reads.

ESP is outlawed, and people with clairvoyance are portrayed as universally evil. The main character is a Dreamwalker, meaning her spirit can leave her body and enter someone else's "dream." She can also sense nearby "dreamscapes." She mostly uses it in the service of the local crime lord Jaxon Hall. One day, she is trapped by two voyant police officers, and kills them. She is arrested, and taken to a penal colony in what used to be Oxford, and told by the aliens known as the Raphaim there that they now serve them.

And that's just the first four or so chapters. I had a lot of fun reading the first two books, and am excited for the third, especially after the reveal that VERY ENDING OF MIME ORDER SPOILERS Jaxon was the human who betrayed his fellows 20 years ago.

Obligatory Toast
Mar 19, 2007

What am I reading here??

Getsuya posted:

This might be a better place to ask than the general chatter thread:

Any opinions on Maximum Ride? I read a bit of the comics and it seemed like an interesting concept.

It's James Patterson. I've read some of the series and the book it's originally based off of and uh... They're not good books. They're like eating a whole pack of Oreos in one go.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Obligatory Toast posted:

It's James Patterson. I've read some of the series and the book it's originally based off of and uh... They're not good books. They're like eating a whole pack of Oreos in one go.

That's a very vivid image and definitely does not sound enjoyable. I was sort of tipped off that it might not be a great series when I found in the description that one of the main group of characters is named Gasman because he farts alot.

I like Redwall. Why can't there be a modern YA series like Redwall.

I suppose if I really want to get into one of the recent YA series I can always try one of the horror ones. I saw the Peregrine's Peculiar Children books and Asylum series around somewhere and those look decent.

Meg Guvyer
May 17, 2016
I am really enjoying all the suggestions, YA lit is one of my favorite ways to unwind, it's something that normally I don't have to over think after a long day at work.

For you guys:

Tamora Pierce:
Has two realms that she writes in, often in a quartet of books that focus on different people in that realm.

These were some of the first YA books that I read and really where my love of high fantasy started.

Sarah J Maas
I've been enjoying these so far, not great lit, but a fun read.

And for those looking at great LGBT protagonists look at Alex Sanchez. He has some great books.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I'm reading A Court of Mist and Fury. I wasn't a huge fan of Thorns and Roses and my friend who I complained about the book to asked me if the book was tailor-made for me because it addresses almost all my points head on.

I'm glad because as much as I like (Throne of Glass series) Celaena Sardothien, Aelin Galathynius is not nearly as enjoyable to read, so I wasn't as huge on Queen of Shadows as I was the previous books. I'm glad that I'm liking mist and fury as much as I am. That said, Manon and Aedion were still the best.

Senerio fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 19, 2016

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Huh my sister just got that new Rick Rordian book which I didn't realize he was making

Its more comedic since its about Apollo being punished for what happened in the last book series by once again being forced to live like a mortal. Looks like it is shorter than the Percy Jackson and Heroes of Olympus series. Will have to read it when she's done with it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I finished A Court of Mist and Fury and I really liked it. Starting other books from my friends recs tomorrow.

Audible does a thing where it lets you upload <45 second clips so here's one from the book I really liked. Watch it on mobile because computer playback is messed up for whatever reason.

http://a.co/iTs8lC6

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Double posting because I just found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCJAi5mpK2s

Really neat fanfilm of the first scene from The Assassin's Blade!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Oh yea I read Trials of Apollo. It was pretty good. I thought the villain reveal was a little...not forced, exactly, but like it came way out of left field? Like, this guy is mega dark and almost belongs in a different book? Basically, I'm half-expecting Caligula to show up in this rompy YA fantasy series now. :stare:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Hello thread! Once more into the breach~

Continuing the Rick Riordan mythopalooza, I just read the newest Magnus Chase book, The Hammer of Thor...and, well, obviously I'm still enjoying these books 'cuz I keep gobbling them up as quickly as he churns them out. And for various reasons it's an incredibly worthwhile book in terms of characters and what he seems to be doing with these characters. I can't imagine that Riordan's the first writer to depict a gender-fluid teenager (who identifies as transgender) as a major character in a mainstream tween-oriented series (I feel like the depths and breadths of science-fiction and fantasy has got to have covered that ground already throughout the years), but I'd be willing to bet that he's gonna be the first to depict her as a bona fide love interest for the default male protagonist. I mean, it's all just hints and teasing so far, but you know Riordan...he's about as subtle about these things as a spiked rock to the face. Holding hands might as well be a marriage vow.

The series continues to be very...irreverent, though. Even in quote-unquote serious situations dealing with serious themes -- child abuse, slavery, natch -- the plot is basically a big ol' romp. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I kinda miss his big melodrama and bigger stakes. I don't foresee myself enjoying this series overall more than the Kane Chronicles or the Heroes of Olympus...on the other hand, I'm still kinda miffed that the third book is going to be the last of this series (for now) while Trials of Apollo gets five books. Just do the mega-crossover already, Rick! CHRIST

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Oct 9, 2016

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I just got finished watching the movie of Miss Peregrine's, should I also check out the book? It sounds interesting but I don't know if it's much different than the movie or if it goes into more detail or in a different direction

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012
I read it years ago and I thought it was terrible. It's full of pictures of the weird children and it felt more like the author came up with the pictures first and then wrote a half-assed story about them.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
It really reads like the author was very much angling for a Tim Burton movie adaptation. So good for them, I guess, but not so much for the reader.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Lilikoi posted:

I read it years ago and I thought it was terrible. It's full of pictures of the weird children and it felt more like the author came up with the pictures first and then wrote a half-assed story about them.

I just hated the MC from day 1 from the description of how he made life difficult at his part-time job because he could :v:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

coyo7e posted:

So I just got finished watching the movie of Miss Peregrine's, should I also check out the book? It sounds interesting but I don't know if it's much different than the movie or if it goes into more detail or in a different direction

Watching that movie made you want to check out the books? :catstare:

Anyone got any recc's for books along the lines of the Abhorsen(nix) , Bartimaeus(stroud), or Golden Compass(pullman) trilogies? Doesn't need to be a series.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

dordreff posted:

It really reads like the author was very much angling for a Tim Burton movie adaptation. So good for them, I guess, but not so much for the reader.
Does the movie still have the incredibly creepy and psychopathic thing of the kids tormenting the villagers in the time loop because eh, it doesn't matter what we do because they'll reset at midnight anyway?

Drifter posted:

Anyone got any recc's for books along the lines of the Abhorsen(nix) , Bartimaeus(stroud), or Golden Compass(pullman) trilogies? Doesn't need to be a series.
Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines/Fever Crumb series, and his Larklight books. The Edge Chronicles series by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. Michael de Larrabeiti's Borribles series.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Nope. The movie was a bunch of wholesome and weird children living under Miss Peregrine, who's kinda weird and gothy.. Even the emo dude who makes zombie puppets turns out to just be misunderstood and looking for love.

Some sheep in the village get torn apart and someone in a wheelchair dies, but nobody really fucks with the village. I have no idea if the amusement park stuff at the finale was in the book, either, and how the kid got back was pretty dumb.

Drifter posted:

Well yeah, because usually a movie adaptation is worse than the book.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Drifter posted:

I recc'd Lockwood and Co series by Stroud which is a ghost-hunting/detective agency themed series. So far there's 4 books out but I feel like there'll be another one next year. I like it because there's a FeMC and welp, kids acting like kids vs adults in an interesting setting. Also, talking skull.

In a related note I read Goldenhand the latest and final book in Abhorsen series and I regret it. If only I could just erase the entire exp from my mind...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Alder posted:

I recc'd Lockwood and Co series by Stroud which is a ghost-hunting/detective agency themed series. So far there's 4 books out but I feel like there'll be another one next year. I like it because there's a FeMC and welp, kids acting like kids vs adults in an interesting setting. Also, talking skull.

In a related note I read Goldenhand the latest and final book in Abhorsen series and I regret it. If only I could just erase the entire exp from my mind...

How many are in the Abhorsen series? I only am aware of 3 plus that Old Wall novella thing.

And thanks guys, I'll check out all of those recommendations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Drifter posted:

How many are in the Abhorsen series? I only am aware of 3 plus that Old Wall novella thing.

And thanks guys, I'll check out all of those recommendations.

According to wiki there's 7 books but the spinoffs like To Hold a Bridge are quite terrible. I rmb liking the the first 3 books back in HS.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

BrianWilly posted:

Continuing the Rick Riordan mythopalooza, I just read the newest Magnus Chase book, The Hammer of Thor...and, well, obviously I'm still enjoying these books 'cuz I keep gobbling them up as quickly as he churns them out. And for various reasons it's an incredibly worthwhile book in terms of characters and what he seems to be doing with these characters. I can't imagine that Riordan's the first writer to depict a gender-fluid teenager (who identifies as transgender) as a major character in a mainstream tween-oriented series (I feel like the depths and breadths of science-fiction and fantasy has got to have covered that ground already throughout the years), but I'd be willing to bet that he's gonna be the first to depict her as a bona fide love interest for the default male protagonist. I mean, it's all just hints and teasing so far, but you know Riordan...he's about as subtle about these things as a spiked rock to the face. Holding hands might as well be a marriage vow.

The series continues to be very...irreverent, though. Even in quote-unquote serious situations dealing with serious themes -- child abuse, slavery, natch -- the plot is basically a big ol' romp. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I kinda miss his big melodrama and bigger stakes. I don't foresee myself enjoying this series overall more than the Kane Chronicles or the Heroes of Olympus...on the other hand, I'm still kinda miffed that the third book is going to be the last of this series (for now) while Trials of Apollo gets five books. Just do the mega-crossover already, Rick! CHRIST

Rick Riordan is truly a progressive writer. Glad to see someone else on here enjoying his work.

I do wonder how long he can keep the Percyverse going though. Greco-Roman, Egyptian, and Norse are the big three. Where else can he go?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Ither posted:

Rick Riordan is truly a progressive writer. Glad to see someone else on here enjoying his work.

I do wonder how long he can keep the Percyverse going though. Greco-Roman, Egyptian, and Norse are the big three. Where else can he go?

I have a very limited knowledge of who Riordan and Percy Jackson are, but there are countless other religions to crib from that are immediately recognizable. Indian, Incan/Aztex stuff, Native American, Chinese, Japanese, The Scottish/Celtic mush, the Nigerian/West African (or pushed through to Latin America) Orishas...
Tons more.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 28, 2016

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

As a fan of Riordan, I'm gonna say it's probably a real bad idea for him to do that. :v:

Already, with the Magnus Chase series...like, they're enjoyable books, but there's always this vague sense of "ticking off check boxes" in his approach to the Norse gods. He definitely tries to make this mythology -- which largely comprises dwarves loving everyone over -- as compelling as he can, but the large part of his passion seems to just be focused on the interpersonal character stories...with Magnus, Samirah, Alex, even Jack, and just making them as interesting as possible. Which is certainly not a bad thing. But I kind of miss the...nigh-admiration Riordan had for Greco-Egyptian gods and culture, and the way he used them to say interesting things about these stories. There are entire chapters in his previous books dedicated to making gods like Ares and Aphrodite and Bast feel important and powerful. Thor, of all gods? He reduces to a running Netflix gag. I guess I'm saying...if he really loves these Norse myths...well, it's not showing that well. :shobon: So I hesitate to imagine what these books would be like if he's drawing from even more obscure myths that he's even less hyped about, just because he needed to check off a list of pantheons for his franchise.

And honestly, I think he agrees with me for the most part, or else he wouldn't keep returning to the Camp Half-blood setting. I think it's far more likely for him to just continue to pump out adventures for the Greek-and-Roman-based characters than it is for him to suddenly have a series based on Shinto gods or something.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

Riordan is someone I greatly respect in that he sticks to his guns and sure he might be a little of a hack, but I appreciate that he reaches to places that aren't really mainstream in the genre.
https://twitter.com/camphalfblood/status/807247851503972352
https://twitter.com/camphalfblood/status/807248314987085824

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

That's really cool. Props for Riordan actually writing in non-hetero normative characters in a book instead of adding them in via twitter after publication

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
muting people goes against my christian beliefs

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Speaking of Riordan, I've been chewing through the Percy Jackson books for the last few weeks after checking out The Lightning Thief from the library on a whim, and finished Blood of Olympus tonight. I enjoyed both series, and felt Riordan's writing got better as time went on. Particular thoughts:

* The Olympians series starts off extremely Harry Potter-ish, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing considering it's aimed at a younger audience. If you know a kid who's at the right age to enjoy Harry Potter, point her at Percy Jackson as well, particularly if she's into Greek mythology or prefers swords to magic. I feel the Olympians series hits its stride around The Titan's Curse as the series grows up with the reader.

* Nico di Angelo stole the show for me in the Heroes of Olympus series. I wasn't familiar with Riordan's reputation and was absolutely not expecting such a sincere, respectful, accurate-feeling depiction of a gay young man, and Nico's perpetual outsider status made a lot of sense to me - he's literally a foreigner in a series populated almost exclusively by American characters (well, and Frank, but his being Canadian doesn't come up much except for that wonderful climax in The Son of Neptune) and if you think about it English probably isn't even his second language between growing up in Italy and being a demigod hardwired for ancient Greek. But seriously, the way Riordan handled Nico's sexuality impressed me a lot.

* Leo annoyed me a lot at first, but he grew on me as the series went on and he came into his own. Honestly, I don't know if I'd want to read a sequel series that explains what happens, his ending felt perfect as it is.

* Similar to Nico, I really applaud Piper for being a heroic Native American character in a YA novel whose Native American upbringing does a lot to define her and what she does, but without giving her a bow and arrows and moccassins and being a super-tracker or wielder of nature magic or anything like that. Good Native American characters are rare in fiction, especially YA fiction, and Piper is a fine one. I also applaud Piper for her initial relationship with Jason - I read a number of reviews of The Lost Hero complaining about how forced it was or that Piper was too aggressive, but I enjoyed it as a fun reversal of the norm. Piper sees a kind, hunky guy, decides he's her type, goes after him, and wins him. I don't think anyone would have had much issue if their roles had been reversed.

* I do like that all nine of the main characters got their moments to shine, constantly changing off the three going on any given quest. Not much Percy and Annabeth in the finale, but their climax in the story really was in House of Hades. What kept me reading was the good story of the Seven (plus Nico and Reyna) and their chemistry as a group.

* I wish Reyna had been used more, she's an interesting character for what little we see of her. I'd happily read a prequel book or two about her rise to power in Rome.

* If there's a big flaw to the series, in my opinion, it's that the villains are dull and non-threatening. Ninety percent of all the giants' screen time is the heroes beating their faces in through combat or trickery, and Gaia's constant taunting got very old very fast for me considering she never actually does much of anything. The only villain in the entire series who felt like a serious threat to the heroes, for me, was Tartarus.

I wonder if there's a YA book or series of comparable quality that has a gay or bi girl as a major character. I spent half the final book expecting Reyna to hit it off with Clarisse or Drew.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cythereal posted:

I wonder if there's a YA book or series of comparable quality that has a gay or bi girl as a major character. I spent half the final book expecting Reyna to hit it off with Clarisse or Drew.
Philip Reeve's Fever Crumb series? Though she doesn't have a relationship with a girl until the 3rd (and so far last) book.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Runcible Cat posted:

Philip Reeve's Fever Crumb series? Though she doesn't have a relationship with a girl until the 3rd (and so far last) book.

I'll have to give that a look, thanks. I've been finding that decent YA literature with gay male characters isn't too hard to find, but well-written YA literature with a queer girl as a major character is much harder to find.

In retrospect, I'm kind of surprised it took until House of Hades to have a confirmed LGBT guy in the Percy Jackson setting, given that it's Greece and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
You know how sometimes you just have to read something bad, but you can't help yourself and then you can't put it down?

Modelland by Tyra loving Banks. :psyduck:

This book is so bad. It feels like satire, but it's definitely not.

Here is the "official music video"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjC-L2O3I4g

Here is a 3 part podcast of Sydnee McElroy describing the book to her husband, Justin, as he becomes more and more incredulous over it.

http://satellitedish.libsyn.com/a-satellite-dish-special-modeland

http://satellitedish.libsyn.com/a-satellite-dish-special-modeland-part-2

http://satellitedish.libsyn.com/a-satellite-dish-special-modelland-part-3

This does a far better job explaining this bizarre book than I ever could.