Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Lizard Wizard posted:

I don't care about the mainline Pokemon games, who's with me

What are the good spinoffs that aren't snap/pokken

e: I guess I liked pokemon pinball when I was 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

The second PMD game owned.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I'm liking Unbox so far, just got through the first world though I'll have to go back to collect a lot of stuff, and I'm kinda amazed at how well they place landmarks such that after some wandering around you know just about where you are most of the time.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Nocturne was pretty good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Help Im Alive posted:

I think Nioh and For Honor are the only samurai games coming out anytime soon

It's hard to be a samurai in 2016

if he wants action rpgs there's many more choices (way of the samurai 3, for example) but he specifically said trad jrpgs

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

Pokemon is honestly not at all fun to play and I don't understand the appeal of this series. The gameplay is a gigantic slog to get through and the mechanics are unintuitive and boring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I can't really pinpoint the reason why, but I only enjoy playing Pokemon Gens 1 and 2. All the little changes made starting in Gen 3 add up to me just not enjoying myself anymore.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Okay so in addition to what I said yesterday about hardcore Metal Gear fans going beyond the pale apparently it's also voice actors from classic Konami games that are all in this conspiracy poo poo as well.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

if he wants action rpgs there's many more choices (way of the samurai 3, for example) but he specifically said trad jrpgs

Play ff5 with 4 samurai. Youll beat it pretty fast and have fun doing it.
Literally throwing money at your problems is great and more games should do it.

I said come in! posted:

Pokemon is honestly not at all fun to play and I don't understand the appeal of this series. The gameplay is a gigantic slog to get through and the mechanics are unintuitive and boring.

Only use your starter, keeping a couple hm slaves, and it's p fun. Crushing bad dudes and child trainers dreams is good.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Nasgate posted:

Only use your starter, keeping a couple hm slaves, and it's p fun. Crushing bad dudes and child trainers dreams is good.

There are so many other games to play, though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Okay so in addition to what I said yesterday about hardcore Metal Gear fans going beyond the pale apparently it's also voice actors from classic Konami games that are all in this conspiracy poo poo as well.

Haha this is awesome. I love it when VA's get super weird.

edit: I like Pokemon because they go really far with really simple and easy to understand mechanics. It's also fun to make a bunch of friends* and go on a journey together even if that journey includes a lot of walking back and forth in two squares of grass beating up trash mobs.

*Friends made by beating the crap out of them and then capturing them into friend slavery

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

last time i played pokemon my team was 6 raticates with hyperbeam and it was pretty funny

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
What's unintuitive about Pokemon?

Nasgate posted:

this sounds way more boring and tedious than actually raising a team

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I think it's hilarious how noted hard game series Shin Megami Tensei with a simple element system can get away with letting you knows which skills do the most damage on certain enemies, but when Pokemon with a complicated type system and abilities on top of that introduces the same thing, that's where gamers draw the line

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I think it's hilarious how noted hard game series Shin Megami Tensei with a simple element system can get away with letting you knows which skills do the most damage on certain enemies, but when Pokemon with a complicated type system and abilities on top of that introduces the same thing, that's where gamers draw the line

Noted hard game Shin Megami Tensei has the distinction of buffs, debuffs and status effects being important in combat. Furthermore, Pokemon's type system is not complex; there's just a lot of types.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I got really tired of guessing what element enemies were weak against by the end of Persona 4

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Looper posted:

I got really tired of guessing what element enemies were weak against by the end of Persona 4

What, they don't give you a way to scan like they did in 3?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

pokemon is good, train on

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So there I was, thinking I'd read a bit and settle down to do some work. All I had to do was close steam without any incident, and my eyes drifted over Broforce... why not, I thought? Those levels are short and sweet.

Half an hour later I now have the Brobocop, I beat the first covert mission, and I deflected a bullet into a terrorist, thus killing him. :black101: Also I now want to watch Blade or Terminator 2 instead of working, but those have to wait.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Lizard Wizard posted:

Noted hard game Shin Megami Tensei has the distinction of buffs, debuffs and status effects being important in combat.

So has Pokemon.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also I now want to watch Blade

Seeing how they transition Barret from Mr. T to Blade is the thing I'm most interested in with the FF7 remake.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I Pity The Fool but instead of Mr. T it's Barret.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Lizard Wizard posted:

What, they don't give you a way to scan like they did in 3?

The game keeps track of resistances and weaknesses you've seen, and your supporter will blurt out random weaknesses occasionally, but it's still largely a guessing game on new enemies

Lizard Wizard posted:

Noted hard game Shin Megami Tensei has the distinction of buffs, debuffs and status effects being important in combat. Furthermore, Pokemon's type system is not complex; there's just a lot of types.

Also this seems to be the case more often than not nowadays

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
The only important status is playing video games.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Would that be like Poison or like Regen?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Help Im Alive posted:

Puzzle League is good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sakurazuka posted:

Theres the Ninja bit of Live A Live I guess.

I just checked and they have never remade that game, what the hell S-E get it together

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Mak0rz posted:

Puzzle League is good

I want to find this in the animal crossing update but I just bought rhythm heaven mega mix and there are only so many hours in the day

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Jay Rust posted:

Would that be like Poison or like Regen?

Pig.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It's ya boys

Really excited to see what Kite turns into this time!

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

...guys there's no launch mission button.

UPDATE: I am a dullard; the tutorial wanted me to give one of them a medkit.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Nov 7, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Looper posted:

this sounds way more boring and tedious than actually raising a team

I mean yeah if you like needless grind raising a team is fun

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Raising a select team of your favorites is still fun but trying to catch 'em all and fill out your pokedex without anyone to trade with is a major slog.

Thank God for the rare candy glitch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Who's your favorite Pokemon?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

This is why I've turned my attention to more modern, streamlined team-building games, like XCOM.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

Me.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

Lizard Wizard.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Actually it's Vileplume.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Looper posted:

How the type matchups work, but that's kind of a moot point now since the newest games outright tell you what moves will work or not.

Bad Seafood posted:

Thank God for the rare candy glitch.

Sadly this hasn't been a thing since the Game Boy days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGeLgx2bock

• Locked thread