Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Crazy reds excepted, I've seen some cool stuff taken with CineStill.

Edit: Oh poo poo :synpa: .. guess I'll post some examples.

Redwood Shores Building by Chris Clogg, on Flickr

Untitled by v.ir.g.il.e, on Flickr

Untitled by v.ir.g.il.e, on Flickr
(This one is Cinestill 50D, which I don't think they make anymore...)
000358020033 by nagi usano, on Flickr

Military Surplus on Front by Orion Alexis, on Flickr

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

It's just tungsten portra

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

This is down the road from me what the hell

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So are you guys actually scanning 35mm with a flatbed or have you ponied up for a used Pakon? Is there a better alternative?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Oct 31, 2016

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Epson Perfection V series are the flatbeds of choice and can handle 35mm and medium format film. The V800 can handle large format negatives too. Most dedicated film scanners can't handle medium or large format film unless you want to drop a few grand on one. There are plenty of 35mm-only scanners though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have an old SCSI dedicated 35mm scanner from the 90s but I highly doubt it'll do any better than my Epson 3200 which is what I've was using.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Flatbeds largely do not scan 35mm very well. Get a dedicated 35mm scanner if you can.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Helen Highwater posted:

Epson Perfection V series are the flatbeds of choice and can handle 35mm and medium format film. The V800 can handle large format negatives too. Most dedicated film scanners can't handle medium or large format film unless you want to drop a few grand on one. There are plenty of 35mm-only scanners though.

I have an Epson with the better scanning ANR glass and it's just tedious as gently caress. Do any of those cheaper scanners on B&H compare to a used Pakon?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I don't think the Pakon offers anything special in terms of quality other than Kodak's secret sauce film profiles - it's great if you hate manually color correcting your photos, but has little to no manual options (I don't think you can scan as positive, so manual correction and scanning slides are out)

It accepts uncut rolls of 35mm so it's crazy fast, no swapping of film holders, etc.

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 31, 2016

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

BlackMK4 posted:

I have an Epson with the better scanning ANR glass and it's just tedious as gently caress. Do any of those cheaper scanners on B&H compare to a used Pakon?

The Plustek 8200 are well liked. I know Magnus Astrom uses one for a lot of his 35mm shots: https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=29596723%40N00&view_all=1&text=plustek

Thoogsby fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 31, 2016

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

I also read that the Pakon only works with windows xp, so that's kind of lame.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
Yeah you can run it in a VM if you don't want to maintain a dedicated XP machine. Silverfast/VueScan will not work with it either.

The Modern Sky
Aug 7, 2009

We don't exist in real life, but we're working hard in your delusions!

Martytoof posted:

I'm about to buy a bulk spool of HP5+. It's been a while since I've shopped around -- is there any other bulk I should be looking at that's similar? Like to put how long I've been out of it into perspective, last time I ordered bulk I got whatever that awesome now-discontinued freestylephoto ISO400 was, and I can't even remember what it was called.

Look into Kentmere 100 or 400 film. I've been shooting 100 for a while now, but I'd like to try out the 400 and compare it to HP5+. They're both owned by Harmon, so IMO they're pretty interchangeable for my purposes.

and it's like $20 less than HP5+

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

BANME.sh posted:

Yeah you can run it in a VM if you don't want to maintain a dedicated XP machine. Silverfast/VueScan will not work with it either.

I can't speak for the Pakon but I use Silverfast with a plustek 8200 on Windows 10 just fine.

I think the problem is more you can't use ancient software versions.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Does anyone know how many rolls of 120 I would be able to develop with this kit?

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/1181-Arista-Rapid-E-6-Slide-Developing-Kit-1-Pint

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

aricoarena posted:

Does anyone know how many rolls of 120 I would be able to develop with this kit?

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/1181-Arista-Rapid-E-6-Slide-Developing-Kit-1-Pint

They link a PDF of the instructions right on the site.

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.

nielsm posted:

They link a PDF of the instructions right on the site.

Man I'm dumb. Thanks.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I started shooting film earlier this year, finally got around to scanning negatives and processing them in Photoshop. I know that I have a ton to learn about handling film, but so far I'm enjoying the results.

Portra 400 for both of these:

Untitled by David Shen, on Flickr

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

ansel autisms posted:

It's just tungsten portra

and yet it looks cool... sooo?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I really like this

E: is that kid in the first one jumping down from like an 8 foot drop? :stare:

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

DJExile posted:

I really like this

E: is that kid in the first one jumping down from like an 8 foot drop? :stare:

Yea but the sand was real soft.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

hi liter posted:

I started shooting film earlier this year, finally got around to scanning negatives and processing them in Photoshop. I know that I have a ton to learn about handling film, but so far I'm enjoying the results.

Portra 400 for both of these:

These scans are horrible. Colours are off, dust is all over the place, over sharpened.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

yeah, looks super purple-y green to me.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

bobmarleysghost posted:

These scans are horrible. Colours are off, dust is all over the place, over sharpened.

Karl Barks posted:

yeah, looks super purple-y green to me.

Yea - I was using a compressed air canister on the negs and the scanner beforehand but I figure I can do better.

The colors - I think I can do better as well. I set the black/white points in PS for the first time and got a little lost in there. I'll give it another shot when I get some time to sit down and try again.

Thanks for feedback. Looking forward to getting better at this.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

akadajet posted:

and yet it looks cool... sooo?

Portra also looks cool and has an anti-halation layer sooo? Cinestill just seems like a total gimmick. No antihalation layer as a result of making the process C-41 compatible and it's tungsten balance which, despite looking cool in some situations, still has limitations over daylight. Color temp adjustments aren't really a big deal if you're scanning yourself and doing colors, it's not like you gotta buy tungsten film because your hands are tied by RA-4

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

hi liter posted:

Yea - I was using a compressed air canister on the negs and the scanner beforehand but I figure I can do better.

The colors - I think I can do better as well. I set the black/white points in PS for the first time and got a little lost in there. I'll give it another shot when I get some time to sit down and try again.

Thanks for feedback. Looking forward to getting better at this.

Adjusted white points in levels. Your white points were all off.
Set gray point.
Used curves to remove green cast. Used the curves sample tool to select the point in the curve with the green cast (ex: their skin) and then pulled it up and down until I found a look I liked. Selected a few other curve points the same way.

Edit: Happy to send you some tips via PM if you want, I think a lot of it has probably been talked about already in the thread, but I can share the little that I've learned since I've been doing this if you're interested.

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 7, 2016

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Anybody know of a small, decent spot meter? I want to start pushing b&w film to 1600 for indoor concerts. I thought I could just use my x100t but apparently it grossly exaggerates the ISO. I have a Sekonic 308 but I'm not sure how that would help at all for a concert venue.

e: Worth noting I shoot exclusively 35mm focal length so I don't really need a 1° spot

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Nov 9, 2016

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure that a spot meter is going to help in an environment where the light is changing massively from one moment to the next. Whenever I shoot concerts with film, I tend to guess at a reasonable approximation of properly exposed and then fudge it from there, because by the time you've metered or worked out the EV change, the light is different again.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
I feared as much. Is there any good resource for judging EVs in a concert setting? Generally most of my shows are folk/indie bands so nothing ridiculously over the top.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I just assume that I'm going to be underexposed no matter what and use the widest aperture I have with the longest shutter speed I think I can get away with. Even with 3200 speed film, I generally end up with fairly dark images at f2/8 and ~1/60th or so.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah I think you're going to be asking the world there to get much of anything useable with 1600 film, unless you're gonna be right on top of them with a 50mm f/1.4 or something.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

DJExile posted:

Yeah I think you're going to be asking the world there to get much of anything useable with 1600 film, unless you're gonna be right on top of them with a 50mm f/1.4 or something.

It worked for Pennie Smith!

(London Calling was shot on Tri-X @1600 with a Pentax ES II, and most likely the SMC Takumar 50/1.4 in front. I think she was right up front stage right, though.)

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Screen Shot 2016-11-09 at 8.30.39 PM by Ryan Chan, on Flickr

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Has anyone had experience with film and random explosive testing at airports?

I've just had my carry-on subjected to one of those tests with the hand-held wavy bullshit and I'm a bit concerned if it's strong enough to affect my film in any way. I'm thinking not, just because it's surely not x-ray related in any way, but I don't know anything about how any of this works.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

rohan posted:

I've just had my carry-on subjected to one of those tests with the hand-held wavy bullshit and I'm a bit concerned if it's strong enough to affect my film in any way. I'm thinking not, just because it's surely not x-ray related in any way, but I don't know anything about how any of this works.

Isn't that just a metal detector?

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

That's what I figured, but I don't know how that's supposed to help find explosives.

Airports just make me anxious is all :ohdear:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
X rays can ruin film but anything carry-on strength will not damage anything. If you are super concerned you can ask your film to be hand inspected.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

rohan posted:

TSA says their X-rays for carry on won't damage anything below 800 ISO. I usually ask for a hand check on my film anyway, just to be safe.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Awkward Davies posted:

TSA says their X-rays for carry on won't damage anything below 800 ISO. I usually ask for a hand check on my film anyway, just to be safe.

That's also what I do. Even if the machine says "Film safe", I'll ask for a hand inspection. They are going to ask me to open my bag full of lenses and filters to take a look at it anyways, might as well... (This is outside the US, where airport security is, supposedly, lax, so ymmv)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
San Francisco, 4 AM.

( 35mm Tri-X and Rodinal )