Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.

HIJK posted:

If Rothfuss stopped firing people for correcting his bad grammar he would have a writer's group to brainstorm options with.

I've been trying to form a writer's group period where I live. It's hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Kingkiller's diverse array of female characters:

Mother
Love interest
Sex fairy
Sex ninja
Rape victim
Moon fae dream pixie girl
Damsel in distress who is sad she is a damsel in distress
Six-year-old child
Someone else's love interest
Heroin-addicted stripper
Businesswoman who is only occasionally a prostitute

Progressive!

Let's not forget the Old Crone Who Knows Medicine Better Than Anyone in the village Kvothe's rescued rape victims (including one he caresses after drugging) are from.

Benson Cunningham posted:

For the rest of us who are dissatisfied, we have specific grievances. Such as:
5. The author, in trying to appear an expert on topics like music and religion, has left doubt in the reader's mind that he himself knows what he's talking about. This then discredits their value in the story as well.

Didn't Rothfuss at some point mention he has zero music background? Or am I just projecting that because of the fact he knows gently caress-all about music? Like his tortured description of Kvothe hearing a song and hating that he couldn't join in (or whatever) and was upset because that's how musicians are when that isn't how anyone other than a loving prima donna acts.

I played instruments up through college and Rothfuss writes about music like someone who wants to believe they know what they're talking about and thinks they can convince others that they're right.

Benson Cunningham posted:

Edit: Finally, I think Rothfuss himself has grown older and wiser, and recognizes a number of his own flaws. This more than anything, and this is just a guess, is what's causing the delay in the third book. I don't think he sees a way to chisel out the story he wants to tell from the one he actually did.

He hasn't. He's only gotten worse over time because now he has two best sellers and a totally not up his own rear end novella. And his garbage story was picked up by Lionsgate(?) to make a movie and/or TV show.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I want Zack Snyder to direct that movie. Since nerds get pissed off at him because he's apparently the worst director in the history of forever for going against the grain with superhero films or whatever and because Kvothe would actually be an interesting character. Probably would deconstruct modern fantasy tropes and look at the consequences of having adventurers meddling in things they don't understand.

It'll be utterly perfect.

Oh and he'd totally make Bast gay.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Evil Fluffy posted:

Let's not forget the Old Crone Who Knows Medicine Better Than Anyone in the village Kvothe's rescued rape victims (including one he caresses after drugging) are from.

Didn't Rothfuss at some point mention he has zero music background? Or am I just projecting that because of the fact he knows gently caress-all about music? Like his tortured description of Kvothe hearing a song and hating that he couldn't join in (or whatever) and was upset because that's how musicians are when that isn't how anyone other than a loving prima donna acts.

I played instruments up through college and Rothfuss writes about music like someone who wants to believe they know what they're talking about and thinks they can convince others that they're right.

He hasn't. He's only gotten worse over time because now he has two best sellers and a totally not up his own rear end novella. And his garbage story was picked up by Lionsgate(?) to make a movie and/or TV show.

Someone mentioned upthread that one of his blog posts bemoans his lack of musical background or something.

I just know he's a loving jackass that doesn't understand the connection between music and poetry and that he's an insufferable idiot that can't do research. I bet he didn't even talk to any musicians to get a feel for the topic.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Maybe the guy who only played a bard in his high school D&D campaign shouldn't have made his hero a bard.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Jimbot posted:

I want Zack Snyder to direct that movie. Since nerds get pissed off at him because he's apparently the worst director in the history of forever for going against the grain with superhero films or whatever and because Kvothe would actually be an interesting character. Probably would deconstruct modern fantasy tropes and look at the consequences of having adventurers meddling in things they don't understand.

It'll be utterly perfect.

Oh and he'd totally make Bast gay.

Please, let's not summon the BvS thread's circlejerk here.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Once again nerds tremble at the mention of Snyder.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Once again nerds tremble at the mention of Snyder.

Never said which bits of us were trembling :fap:

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

jivjov posted:

but overall, I'm pleased that Kingkiller has plenty of female characters in all manners of professions and social standings and the like.

I realize people have responded to this bit already but I would really like to see more on this. Can you elaborate on why you feel he has done a good job representing a diverse array of women? It would help if you could cite specific examples from his texts of the women you feel represent a variety of social standings and professions. It would be even better if you could do this while contrasting it with how men in the text are depicted and addressing the observation that women in Rothfuss' setting are vastly outnumbered by men.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
From the Rothfuss blog:

quote:

Heya Everybody,

There’s a few projects we’ve been working on over here at RothCo. Some of them for years and years. The biggest of these is the website renovation.
http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2016/11/so-im-guessing-some-of-you-like-stories/

I really can't make this up.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I think at this point it's kind of like Penelope unweaving her shroud every night.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

nikitakhrushchev posted:

I think at this point it's kind of like Penelope unweaving her shroud every night.

I had to look this up, and so now I can add this to my list of how this thread has enriched my life more than Rothfuss himself has.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I had to look this up, and so now I can add this to my list of how this thread has enriched my life more than Rothfuss himself has.

Every day, more beautiful women came up to Kvothe asking for him to have sex with them, and he told them all, "Only when I have completed writing the most beautiful song." And every night, when the women were gone, he wrote more of the song that would never end, for beauty cannot be confined to a concept so stifling as 'completeness', as only a true musician would know.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Well, I bought 2 books and after completing them, I still think I didn't even get one full book.

This sucked.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Malpais Legate posted:

Well, I bought 2 books and after completing them, I still think I didn't even get one full book.

This sucked.

Hey know, that's just your subjective opinion, admit that it's nothing more so you don't hurt the feelings of "adult" people who are honest-to-god offended by claims of objectivity.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 5, 2016

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Patrick Rothfuss sucks.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Hey know, that's just your subjective opinion, admit that it's nothing more so you don't hurt the feelings of "adult" people who are honest-to-god offended by claims of objectivity.

Interesting question there, what really makes the difference between books in a series having a sense of being an actual story versus something that just sort of spins its wheels and goes nowhere? Cliff hangers/mysteries are a pretty common staple of the series genre but at a certain point when things keep getting thrown up in the air and newer and newer "mysteries" are brought up before the old stuff is even referred to again when does it become poor writing.

loving Chandrian and mystical band of killers who kill anyone mentioning their name get dropped as the entire reason this story exists and 2k pages later not a single loving mention aside from a few brief sentences.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off

pentyne posted:

loving Chandrian and mystical band of killers who kill anyone mentioning their name get dropped as the entire reason this story exists and 2k pages later not a single loving mention aside from a few brief sentences.

When your book is comprised of disconnected vignettes written years apart, it's not surprising that Kvothe seems to forget about the Chandrian for hundreds of pages at a time. God forbid Rothfuss rewrite his grad school short stories to include the protagonist's supposed central motivation.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Aquarium Gravel posted:

When your book is comprised of disconnected vignettes written years apart, it's not surprising that Kvothe seems to forget about the Chandrian for hundreds of pages at a time. God forbid Rothfuss rewrite his grad school short stories to include the protagonist's supposed central motivation.

Wait these were written in grad school?

Holy poo poo that's depressing.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

pentyne posted:

Interesting question there, what really makes the difference between books in a series having a sense of being an actual story versus something that just sort of spins its wheels and goes nowhere? Cliff hangers/mysteries are a pretty common staple of the series genre but at a certain point when things keep getting thrown up in the air and newer and newer "mysteries" are brought up before the old stuff is even referred to again when does it become poor writing.
This comes back to the vague sense of authorial trust and investment in the story. If you've got questions about the story and even think they're not going to be answered or are just going to be answered with more questions, the author has already lost you. A compelling mystery in fiction makes you keep reading and ideally you don't stop to consider whether you trust the author to not gently caress it up. A lot of them do gently caress it up, but usually your reaction is "Oh, well that was disappointing" after the fact rather than "This is never going to come to anything, gently caress this book" beforehand.

It's also dependent on whether you think the mysteries actually matter to the story, which generally means the characters themselves have to care about it. If there's some ancient prophecy that just exists to be coy foreshadowing and the characters don't care about it in the slightest, it sticks out a lot more than when people in the story at least try to figure out what it means (even if it's still obvious coy foreshadowing, at least it matters). Mysteries that feel like artificial speculation fodder are the sorts of things that turned people off from shows like LOST.

There isn't enough about the Chandrian to really care about them, and the fact that Kvothe randomly seems not to care about them either is probably what loses you. It's entirely possible to have a three book series where there's a crucial mystery not revealed until the third book, but you have to have bought in and stayed in from the first two.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PJOmega posted:

Wait these were written in grad school?

Holy poo poo that's depressing.

It gets worse: He's an English professor at the University of Wisconsin.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Got a photo of one of his students going to class right here:

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Evil Fluffy posted:

It gets worse: He's an English professor at the University of Wisconsin.

Scott Walker has done terrible things to our state.

But seriously when I was an undergrad my creative writing TA strictly forbid genre fiction but then I saw he attended Stevens Point and I was like, "Ohhhh".

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Atlas Hugged posted:

Scott Walker has done terrible things to our state.

But seriously when I was an undergrad my creative writing TA strictly forbid genre fiction but then I saw he attended Stevens Point and I was like, "Ohhhh".

TBF, while I (sorta) enjoy genre fiction for what it is, anyone looking to major in Creative Writing should avoid it like the plague.

The fact that Rothfuss is a professor boggles my loving mind.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

PJOmega posted:

TBF, while I (sorta) enjoy genre fiction for what it is, anyone looking to major in Creative Writing should avoid it like the plague.

Oh I totally agree.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

PJOmega posted:

I'm getting a masters in Genre Fiction and it is awesome. There's a teaching aspect to it as well. Typical creative writing stuff. I just gave someone a D minus for starting three sentences in a row with dependent clauses and for ending their flash piece with the old "it was all a dream" twist.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

BananaNutkins posted:

I'm getting a masters in Genre Fiction and it is awesome. There's a teaching aspect to it as well. Typical creative writing stuff. I just gave someone a D minus for starting three sentences in a row with dependent clauses and for ending their flash piece with the old "it was all a dream" twist.

You can give someone a D- for those? I'm not an english teacher, granted, but I always figured Ds were for stories that were aggressively poorly written (assuming Fs are for 'didnt do the assignment/turned in Mein Kampf''). A lack of variation in sentence style and reliance on old tropes is bad, yeah, but D- seems kind of harsh for what amounts to two common mistakes most writers make when they're starting out.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
At Undergrad level, D- often means "turned something in, failed to follow any instructions."

Have to imagine at graduate level D- is "you hosed up and made easy to avoid mistakes." Which makes sense. It shouldn't be the end of the world but it should be a strong indicator to fix your poo poo.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

I like genre fiction as much as the next guy but it's bad for you when you're learning to write because it's too easy to let genre conventions make your story choices for you. The point of creative writing classes is to build your skills, not produce publishable work. When you ask yourself, okay, what should I write here, what direction should I take, what am I trying to get across with this, it doesn't do your development any good to be able to snap-decide because that's just what everyone does in Genre X. It's like lifting with free weights versus using a machine with a rigid track.

Rothfuss has a similar problem in that instead of really asking himself what would make for a good story, he recognizes the conventional approach and then makes a big show of doing the opposite even if it's boring and makes no story sense.

That said, it would be pretty dope if you could do a creative writing class on genre fiction where you have to use a genre style but you're only allowed to work with genres you're unfamilliar with or actively dislike to force you to break the conventions down and see how they function and then try to harness them to your own ends(assuming students would do it in good faith which seems unlikely)

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

Rothfuss has a similar problem in that instead of really asking himself what would make for a good story, he recognizes the conventional approach and then makes a big show of doing the opposite even if it's boring and makes no story sense.
He doesn't though, that's the infuriating bit. Or at least not consistently -
for every deliberate fuckup like omitting the pirate thing, you get a bog-standard fantasy trope - dragon, magic school, parents-killed-by-bad-guy, 100% true and literal legends.
About the only convention he fully subverts is actually having a plot.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I think he subverts the "being a feminist" thing by writing all of his female characters as some sort of sex bomb. Also the whole having a penis thing.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.

I enjoy one writer who doesn't write liking a tweet about another writer who doesn't write

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Solice Kirsk posted:

Also the whole having a penis thing.

Wait...are you implying that men can't be feminists?

CerealCrunch
Jun 23, 2007

jivjov posted:

Jesus Christ, you are retarded.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

jivjov posted:

Honestly I'm not sure. I know men can sympathize and advocate for feminism, but I don't think they should claim to be one. Honestly I think it comes off as crass and a bit elitist. Like when a suburban white dude claims "I may be white, but my soul is black."

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
There's nothing wrong with men being feminists. It's gratifying when men stand with us.

The problem with guys like Rothfuss is that they raise the wrong profile especially when they don't demonstrate a good understanding of women's issues. And then everyone looking at Rothfuss isn't looking at the feminists who are actually saying the worthwhile things. And then it snowballs and people think being a feminist means endorsing writers who put out rapey stories where male heroes grope child sex slaves.

My point is that being a guy feminist is great. It's just that Rothfuss destroys everything he touches and is terrible. If you want to be a feminist just do everything opposite of Rothfuss.

Flattened Spoon
Dec 31, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I know men can sympathize and advocate for feminism,"

I think that's the definition for being a feminist. Though then again I'm a dude so

edit: though not understanding what feminism is is another thing.

Flattened Spoon fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 7, 2016

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

PJOmega posted:

At Undergrad level, D- often means "turned something in, failed to follow any instructions."

Have to imagine at graduate level D- is "you hosed up and made easy to avoid mistakes." Which makes sense. It shouldn't be the end of the world but it should be a strong indicator to fix your poo poo.

Oh man, you don't even know...those were just the first things that popped into my head. Rothfuss is Hemingway compared to undergrad submissions. No, you don't give D- for minor errors or bad twists, I was just being flippant.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

CerealCrunch posted:

Jesus Christ, you are retarded.

Are ableist slurs really necessary?

Solice Kirsk posted:

Honestly I'm not sure. I know men can sympathize and advocate for feminism, but I don't think they should claim to be one. Honestly I think it comes off as crass and a bit elitist. Like when a suburban white dude claims "I may be white, but my soul is black."

What prevents a man from believing that women should have equal rights and treatment? That's all feminism is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

There is a very lively and long-lived debate within the broader sphere of social justice and feminist philosophy about whether men should call themselves feminists or just "feminist allies." I doubt it's going to get solved in this thread.

What would be cool and relevant is if jivjov would reply to my questions regarding Rothfuss' depictions of women. He seems to have forgotten about me. :(

• Locked thread