Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tae posted:

Mika just wants to cultivate his farm, we already seen his endgame if things end peacefully.

Thats going to be a bit hard for him given that one of his arms and eyes don't work unless he is in a mobile suit. I also have a feeling his body will get worse as the series goes on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How do you even rehabilitate someone like Mikazuki? Is he beyond what you could do for even a normal child soldier? How do you start with someone like that?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

Thats going to be a bit hard for him given that one of his arms and eyes don't work unless he is in a mobile suit. I also have a feeling his body will get worse as the series goes on.

He seemed to do okay in the interim according to what Atra was saying to Kudelia about his cultivation and experimentation.

muike posted:

How do you even rehabilitate someone like Mikazuki? Is he beyond what you could do for even a normal child soldier? How do you start with someone like that?

It's probably impossible for someone as far gone as Mikazuki to ever be "okay" at this point. He should be able to live a normal life just fine because he doesn't seem to be prone to random psychotic breaks or anything like that and seems to be able to live in peace with people he likes just fine, but I think he will always have a super warped view about the value of human life and the morality of violence/killing and he will always be hair-trigger totally murderous if anyone threatens the people he likes in any fashion, purposeful or accidental.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

MonsterEnvy posted:

The twins mention that Mika's been trying to plant new stuff in the martian soil. He's not just been fighting the past 6 months.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Kanos posted:

He seemed to do okay in the interim according to what Atra was saying to Kudelia about his cultivation and experimentation.

It's probably impossible for someone as far gone as Mikazuki to ever be "okay" at this point. He should be able to live a normal life just fine because he doesn't seem to be prone to random psychotic breaks or anything like that and seems to be able to live in peace with people he likes just fine, but I think he will always have a super warped view about the value of human life and the morality of violence/killing and he will always be hair-trigger totally murderous if anyone threatens the people he likes in any fashion, purposeful or accidental.

I'd really love for the show to touch on this but I think it'll still be interesting if they play him straight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tae posted:

The twins mention that Mika's been trying to plant new stuff in the martian soil. He's not just been fighting the past 6 months.

I know. But if he like loses use of his legs or other eye stuff could get way harder for him. And I just have a feeling things are going to get worse for his body.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Im guessing that him being fully functional when hooked up to the frame is a big caveat here. I'm totally expecting him to get even more hosed up as the season progresses, but that AV system being nanomachine based and how he springs back up when on the system makes me think they'll be able to reverse it or at least mitigate it with some sort of portable attachment in his back.. Might not be something actually seen through the season, but something that might pop up in an epilogue or something.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
He'd definitely have to earn that, narratively, in some way. As it stands, Mika, as a character has grown, but not in his moral capacity, only in his interpersonal.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
i think part of mika's motor function have been forcibly ripped out of his spine and been uploaded to god knows where in barbatos

so you're gonna have to find those functions inside barbatos and put mika back together, or duplicate them. and we all know you cant put humpty back together again

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

i think part of mika's motor function have been forcibly ripped out of his spine and been uploaded to god knows where in barbatos

He has brain/nerve damage and as a result part of his right side straight up doesn't work unless he's plugged in to Barbatos (or presumably any AV system), which gives him the extra processing power/alternate pathways he needs to use those things.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
We don't have enough or really need thtat much information on Mika's condition. I do think it's fair to say it's his response to his condition that's telling of his relation with both Orga and violence.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

A bit off topic, but has anyone actually kept up with the tie-in manga beyond the first chapter?

What I read of it kinda sucked, but I'm curious if it picked up at all or if it's as skippable as it looked.

(It is mildly amusing how Tekkadan, the scrappy underdogs who had to steal everything they had, still managed to accomplish much more than a mob with a seven star family attached in Steel Moon, but that tends to be the curse of side story characters anyway. Not much point in dwelling on it.)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Oh my god, just kill him already. Orga would've died with this much foreshadowing.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Nah it's all a feint, Takaki will still live to wag his tail for someone else.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Takaki wasn't the only one puling endless death flags out of his mouth like a clown this epsiode

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I'm getting so many death signals, I don't actually think anyone's going to die in the immediate future. There's so many I feel like they're all bumping into each other, and tripping each other and thus cancel each other out. This is the It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World for death flags.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

resurgam40 posted:

I'm getting so many death signals, I don't actually think anyone's going to die in the immediate future. There's so many I feel like they're all bumping into each other, and tripping each other and thus cancel each other out. This is the It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World for death flags.

The Mr. Burns Defense, I see.

I kind of suspect Mika is going to drop in the support craft like on Mars. After all, they were just told they couldn't LAND anywhere. Nothing against orbital dropping the Barbatos and Gusion with some of the Shidens.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zebulon posted:

The Mr. Burns Defense, I see.

I kind of suspect Mika is going to drop in the support craft like on Mars. After all, they were just told they couldn't LAND anywhere. Nothing against orbital dropping the Barbatos and Gusion with some of the Shidens.

Orga just made an alliance with McGillis. I am super interested to see what Mika does if he lands in the middle of a fight between McGillis and Earth Tekkadan

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Orga just made an alliance with McGillis. I am super interested to see what Mika does if he lands in the middle of a fight between McGillis and Earth Tekkadan

It's pretty clear that someone important from Tekkadan is going to die (either Aston, Takaki, or both), and at that point, the alliance between Tekkadan and McGillis is totally loving gone. All according to keikaku for the Arianrhod faction, I guess.

While Gaelio clearly hasn't been briefed on all the specifics of Rustal's plan, I wonder how much of the general outline was his idea? Having McGillis be brought down by his closest allies does have a certain dark poetry to it - and judging by the redesign of the Kimaris, he's all about dark poetry.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

McGillis is gonna see through the ruse and goes for a decap strike. Provided Dante got the info that Ratface is using them and Galan is the hammer Tekkadan wouldturn their guns on his forces and the big question is who shoots ratface, Takaki or Aston?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gyrobot posted:

McGillis is gonna see through the ruse and goes for a decap strike. Provided Dante got the info that Ratface is using them and Galan is the hammer Tekkadan wouldturn their guns on his forces and the big question is who shoots ratface, Takaki or Aston?

Remember that Takaki deeply respects Galan. If he takes a shot for him (or if Aston does), then that's the alliance over and done with.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Remember that Takaki deeply respects Galan. If he takes a shot for him (or if Aston does), then that's the alliance over and done with.

I'd say Aston's the bigger risk in some ways.

He's Akihiro's little brother now, more or less. Mika, Orga, even Eugene, they're reasonably perceptive fuckers, and might spot a screwjob. Akihiro's more straightforward. If he's lost family again, he's not going to take a wider prospective, and that'a a problem.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Takaki has been narrating this arc as if he's looking back on it from the future, i doubt he's the one who's gonna die

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Lets not forget during the start of the Brewers arc were Takaki dropped death flags like crazy and made it out fine.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
They're all going to survive just fine when Mika drops and clears up the misunderstanding, but not before someone working for McGillis murders Galan and probably gets shanked or at least wounded in return, prompting the Tekkadan rank and file to dislike McGillis even more and eventually causing some kind of crisis of confidence in Orga further down the line.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

They're all going to survive just fine when Mika drops and clears up the misunderstanding, but not before someone working for McGillis murders Galan and probably gets shanked or at least wounded in return, prompting the Tekkadan rank and file to dislike McGillis even more and eventually causing some kind of crisis of confidence in Orga further down the line.

I'm assuming that McGillis himself will ice Galan, but I realise it's not a hard guarantee - he's coming across as an Ali al-Saachez/Yazan Gable/Rakan Dakharan figure, and those are notoriously hard to kill.

Speaking of, I'm pretty hyped for his big fight next episode. He's up against the finest pilot in the solar system flying a top-of-the-line modern machine specially customised for his fighting style, and he's in the PD equivalent of a Zaku I, but the show's treating it like it's actually going to be something other than a seconds-long stomp. That generally means things are about to get interesting.

gyrobot
Nov 16, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Even if its revealed that he planted the bomb that wounded Nadi and Makanai? drat there is going to be some conflicted loyalties.

Now looking in retrospect this arc was a trip down memory lane for Aston and Takaki. Remember their first time they had to work for adults they were so abusive that even Ali would say "cool it. These kids would fight better with carrots over sticks." Galan was the kind of general that while harsh at least commended them at face value where as Kudal and Sasai was as abusive as they come. It will take some strong mental resolve to tell themselvss to let go and realize that Tekkadan is their future and they have to realize that deep down Galan is scum.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gyrobot posted:

Even if its revealed that he planted the bomb that wounded Nadi and Makanai? drat there is going to be some conflicted loyalties.

Now looking in retrospect this arc was a trip down memory lane for Aston and Takaki. Remember their first time they had to work for adults they were so abusive that even Ali would say "cool it. These kids would fight better with carrots over sticks." Galan was the kind of general that while harsh at least commended them at face value where as Kudal and Sasai was as abusive as they come. It will take some strong mental resolve to tell themselvss to let go and realize that Tekkadan is their future and they have to realize that deep down Galan is scum.

I can't see many ways for people to discover that information and get it to them in time, anyway. Tekkadan have a lot of lies to unravel, and not much time to do it in.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That traitor dude in Tekkadan is gonna be hosed if the Jovian mob finds out about it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

muike posted:

That traitor dude in Tekkadan is gonna be hosed if the Jovian mob finds out about it.

That requires him to live past Mikazuki finding out about it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
The mob dealing with it would be so much more interesting but ZI agree that it's probably not getting to that point.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

muike posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised at him, to be honest. It's one thing to disdain working for a bunch of kids that you think you can run circles around(even if they're terrifyingly competent child soldiers), it's another thing to actively sell out a gigantic mafia syndicate that will likely loving murder you for your betrayal because of that disdain.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Yeah, I'm surprised at him, to be honest. It's one thing to disdain working for a bunch of kids that you think you can run circles around(even if they're terrifyingly competent child soldiers), it's another thing to actively sell out a gigantic mafia syndicate that will likely loving murder you for your betrayal because of that disdain.

Well, remember who he's selling out to. Rustal's scum, but he's scum in very high places. This goes off the way he wants, he's going to be the most powerful man in the solar system, and it's easy to think that, if you set up a guy's big power play, he'll protect you when the storm comes in.

Not a smart thing to think, a lot of the time, and when this falls apart at all, he's going to be a very disposable pawn caught between at least three of the most vindictive power players in the current game, and treason doth never prosper (what's the reason? For if it prosper, none dare call it treason), but I can see why he'd think it could work.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I would be more worried about what would happen to Tekkaden if it wasn't for just how cocky Rustal's group seems to be about the result. If they want to win they have to take the group seriously. Hell, the mask guy basically said that his bet is on Tekkaden loving up the plan for Rustal.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I'm not entirely sure what Rustal and Galan's plan is either. I mean, the part where they keep McGillis from winning and thus hurting his rep is clear but that can't be all there is to it, or they're incredibly stupid to think Mars Tekkadan won't insert themselves into this. Sure, Mikazuki is the smash first, ask questions later sort of person but they can't seriously expect nobody to find out any of their set up, can they? The fact that McGillis is there on behalf of the SAU means that whatever short-term damage there is to their relationship, he'll do his darndest to patch up their relationship because he's worked so hard to get them on his side in the first place.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Argas posted:

I'm not entirely sure what Rustal and Galan's plan is either. I mean, the part where they keep McGillis from winning and thus hurting his rep is clear but that can't be all there is to it, or they're incredibly stupid to think Mars Tekkadan won't insert themselves into this. Sure, Mikazuki is the smash first, ask questions later sort of person but they can't seriously expect nobody to find out any of their set up, can they? The fact that McGillis is there on behalf of the SAU means that whatever short-term damage there is to their relationship, he'll do his darndest to patch up their relationship because he's worked so hard to get them on his side in the first place.

Well, I think it's pretty clear that just starting a war between the SAU and Arbrau is one of the goals. Remind the power blocks they need Gjallarhorn there to keep them from screwing up again, bloody some noses, make McGillis look bad for later plays. Bloodying Tekkadan is a side benefit. It's pretty clear that Rustal and Galan, while running a good game, still have Tekkadan listed as pretty minor pieces.

It's been a constant advantage of Tekkadan's, really. Everybody but McGillis has underestimated them, and the insider intel's actually helping them here. Radice doesn't think much of Tekkadan, and that's leaking into his assessments. They're a bunch of attack dogs, hardly people. Easy to control once you get the leash, and not really a major problem. (Forgetting, or not having heard, that the organization was founded when people shoved third division too hard, and they got shoved back.)

So, yeah. Rustal wants to hurt them, and hurt their bond with house Fareed, but it only matters as much as it costs McGillis rep and resources. The fact he might still have some mercs after isn't ideal, but it's perfectly acceptable.

Figure this is much more an opening move than a masterstroke.

But yeah. McGillis is going to try to keep Tekkadan, I think, even if the relationship gets hosed up. Because McGillis is one of those rare rat-bastards who can see someone acting protagonical and go "Okay, yes. I need that on my side."

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Well, I think it's pretty clear that just starting a war between the SAU and Arbrau is one of the goals. Remind the power blocks they need Gjallarhorn there to keep them from screwing up again, bloody some noses, make McGillis look bad for later plays. Bloodying Tekkadan is a side benefit. It's pretty clear that Rustal and Galan, while running a good game, still have Tekkadan listed as pretty minor pieces.

It's been a constant advantage of Tekkadan's, really. Everybody but McGillis has underestimated them, and the insider intel's actually helping them here. Radice doesn't think much of Tekkadan, and that's leaking into his assessments. They're a bunch of attack dogs, hardly people. Easy to control once you get the leash, and not really a major problem. (Forgetting, or not having heard, that the organization was founded when people shoved third division too hard, and they got shoved back.)

So, yeah. Rustal wants to hurt them, and hurt their bond with house Fareed, but it only matters as much as it costs McGillis rep and resources. The fact he might still have some mercs after isn't ideal, but it's perfectly acceptable.

Figure this is much more an opening move than a masterstroke.

But yeah. McGillis is going to try to keep Tekkadan, I think, even if the relationship gets hosed up. Because McGillis is one of those rare rat-bastards who can see someone acting protagonical and go "Okay, yes. I need that on my side."

I don't think he'll have a choice. Tekkadan is tribal as gently caress, and doesn't take casualties well. Which is the other important goal of this play by the Arianrhod faction - manipulating the shape of the war to drive a wedge between McGillis and his biggest ally. There's a reason they specifically subverted the vulnerable Earth Tekkadan when they set up their little war, along with taking out Makanai, one of his more significant political allies. This isn't just about discrediting McGillis, but isolating him so they can go in more easily for the killing blow.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Galan seems to wants to kill McGillis in battle here. But Rustal seems to have been fine with simply making him look bad. (Though I doubt he will mind if McGillis meets a tragic end.)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Galan seems to wants to kill McGillis in battle here. But Rustal seems to have been fine with simply making him look bad. (Though I doubt he will mind if McGillis meets a tragic end.)

His precise motives are unclear, but he mainly seems to be trying to weaken and isolate him enough that he can openly go after him without major repercussions. Killing him is absolutely on the agenda, given how he's been investing in Gaelio as a weapon, and Galan just saw an opportunity and accelerated the plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

This isn't just about discrediting McGillis, but isolating him so they can go in more easily for the killing blow.

I like that the show is continuing the whole "Tekkadan are irrelevant pawns" thing, too. Rustal and Galan don't care about Tekkadan in the least, they're just useful tools to employ against McGillis.

• Locked thread