Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pidan
Nov 6, 2012

JcDent posted:

Still weirded out that we're getting the same readings even when we're strangers living a Poland apart.

They're reading this in Lithuanian right now, I think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGXNIBHLIJU

I love all languages. Also all Kanji especially 犇

pidan fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Nov 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

JcDent posted:

I hate kanji

Still weirded out that we're getting the same readings even when we're strangers living a Poland apart.

My grandma visited Italy back in the 50s and told me decades later how awestruck she was by the realisation that pre-Council the services both there and in Bavaria were exactly, 100% the same ("I was so happy to be Catholic in that moment!")

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

My grandma visited Italy back in the 50s and told me decades later how awestruck she was by the realisation that pre-Council the services both there and in Bavaria were exactly, 100% the same ("I was so happy to be Catholic in that moment!")

ours are different from church to church lol
that's beautiful too--human beings exist in multifarious diversity, and so do varieties of Orthodox

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bel_Canto posted:

look at how wrong this post is

i'm allowed to be frustrated that Japanese is seemingly a vertical wall that starts to jut outward the higher you get

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mo Tzu posted:

i'm allowed to be frustrated that Japanese is seemingly a vertical wall that starts to jut outward the higher you get
my friend are you interested in...greek :mrgw:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

pidan posted:

I love all languages.

Have you heard Dutch?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HEY GAL posted:

my friend are you interested in...greek :mrgw:

I did it for a year and every so often I write an iota instead of い

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Japanese was easier than French or Latin for me because I accepted that it was really hard and I would probably fail a lot at the beginning instead of getting angry for messing up an easy language

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I also found Latin harder than Japanese, mostly because japanese has no plural, it has fewer verb forms (so far, at least), and after Latin I've been far better at going "that's weird but okay" about grammar

Kana was a little harder than the Greek alphabet but not by much. Kanji is really the hardest part and even then it's not TOO bad (except for unique reading of kanji like お母さん and お父さん).

Basically Greek and Latin is worse which means jumping ship from Christianity to Jodo Shinshu was the right call. Thanks, 親鸞。

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Japanese has no cases tho

I'm the rare person who doesn't have problems with kanji. For whatever reason, it's easy for my brain to parse systematic images into meanings into sounds

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
nah koine's pretty easy

*looks up from septuagint*

PAUL YOU MADE UP HALF THESE WORDS

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Japanese was easier than French or Latin for me because I accepted that it was really hard and I would probably fail a lot at the beginning instead of getting angry for messing up an easy language

Japanese is super hard for me, the pronunciation of kanji is unpredictable and the grammar is kinda complex. Mostly I read it by jumping from kanji to kanji while reading them as Chinese and sort of guessing the grammar. Russian is harder and also hard to read out loud because the pronunciation is not obvious. Latin is not that hard honestly. I don't know any Greek at all lol

Imo from easy to hard:
English
Latin
Chinese
French
Japanese
Russian

Not sure if there's a harder language than that, maybe Finnish but at least they spell things phonetically

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
im permabanned poster Jesus Christ. i first started reading the sacred scriptures in the temple when i was about 12. by 30 i got really obsessed with the concept of "the Kingdom of God" and tried to channel it constantly, until my thought process got really bizarre and i would repeat things like "those who are called least in this age shall be called greatest in the next" and "I and the Father are one" in my head for hours, and i would get really paranoid, start seeing things in the corners of my eyes etc, basically prodromal schizophrenia. im now on antipsychotics. i always wondered what the kind of "eschatological" style of first-century Judaism was all about; i think it's the promise of a better world after this one, what jungian theory considered to be the cause of schizophrenic and schizotypal syptoms. i would advise all people who "get" the Bible to be careful because that likely means you have a predisposition to religion. peace.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

:effort:

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Mo Tzu posted:

look man i'm just a bitch learning japanese trying to read that japanese tweet that was mostly kana

unfortunately i don't recognize that verb form so i can't actually read it even if i did know those kanji lol i've been studying for two months four hours a day five days a week with a tutor and i can't read a tweet that sucks

It says "Now that I think about it, I forgot to post this. JavaScript is Christianity?!" Technically it's using the past tense but it's not really a case where we'd use the past tense in English. Maybe "has been Christianity all this time?" if you really want to get it pastish.

e: Since we're all talking about languages the State Dep't rates languages by the amount of time you need to study them as a typical native English speaker to acquire some proficiency and the "killer" languages are all the ones like Korean, Japanese, Chinese, and Arabic that have nothing in common with English etymologically or grammatically. But writing systems are a different problem and definitely either Japanese or Chinese is the worst there.

In spite of that, majoring in Japanese isn't especially likely to lead to a job in my bitter and personal experience

Smoking Crow posted:

Japanese has no cases tho

I'm the rare person who doesn't have problems with kanji. For whatever reason, it's easy for my brain to parse systematic images into meanings into sounds

Particles behave a lot like cases, wouldn't you say?

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Nov 7, 2016

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i would not personally say that, no. they might have similar grammatical uses but there's a very big difference between learning a particle and how it's used and learning five noun declensions, plus the plural forms, for five different kinds of nouns.

though it's funny you say "state department' cause the school i'm doing private tutoring at is where they send people who need to go abroad. apparently i'm studying on a schedule like they do, which is funny because i chose that one because i really would like to apply for phd programs before i'm 30 and have even more gray hair.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

The Phlegmatist posted:

nah koine's pretty easy

*looks up from septuagint*

PAUL YOU MADE UP HALF THESE WORDS

koine is in fact easy. attic is hard. homeric is only slightly harder. aeolic makes me want to gouge my own eyes out

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

I'm dating a rad trad and it's hard to be on all the time ok. It's nice that I have this thread to vent in.

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010

Mo Tzu posted:

i would not personally say that, no. they might have similar grammatical uses but there's a very big difference between learning a particle and how it's used and learning five noun declensions, plus the plural forms, for five different kinds of nouns.

Well, Japanese doesn't have that kind of agreement, true. But particles pretty much act like a totally regular form of case endings in practice (including in the sense that unusual word orders are still OK or at least comprehensible thanks to them). Although, on the other hand, people also leave them out in casual conversation all the time. Japanese is a land of contrasts.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Phlegmatist posted:

I'm dating a rad trad and it's hard to be on all the time ok. It's nice that I have this thread to vent in.

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM THE GOSPEL ONTO THE TABLE. IT’S THE GOSPEL OF JESUS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MIRACLES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JESUS. I DO EVERY MIRACLE AND I DO EVERY MIRACLE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I HEAL SOME BLIND GUYS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED REALITYS MOST DANGEROUS AFTERLIFE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY BIBLE STUDY AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN BIBLE STUDY CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE PARABLES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING BENEDICTION EVERY MORNIng

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Hey Japan in the Christianity thread. Now you can all look up Japanese theologians.

Inazo Nitobe, went to America and became a quaker. Wrote a book about how Bushido and Christianity have a lot in common.

Uchimura Kanzo, founded the nonchurch movement.

Toyohiko Kagawa, activist who went to Princeton then came back and lived in a slum in Japan organising a lot of labour movements and co-ops.

Masao Takenaka, wrote God is Rice which talks about contextualizing western Christian symbols into Asian symbols (the title issue being how bread is an important symbol in the Bible but non-coherent to Asians)

Kosuke Koyama, wrote about making Christianity accessible to the normal rural people of Asia in books such as Three Mile an Hour God.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
augustine ichiro okamura is pretty much why i am buddhist and he'd be very disappointed about that

i'm surprised you didn't bring up kazoh kitamori, though, he's pretty famous in the west.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
also fun fact; the guy who wrote trigun is catholic

same with the guy who wrote silence

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM THE GOSPEL ONTO THE TABLE. IT’S THE GOSPEL OF JESUS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MIRACLES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, JESUS. I DO EVERY MIRACLE AND I DO EVERY MIRACLE HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I HEAL SOME BLIND GUYS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY ESCAPED REALITYS MOST DANGEROUS AFTERLIFE. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY BIBLE STUDY AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN BIBLE STUDY CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE PARABLES AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY SHOUTING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING BENEDICTION EVERY MORNIng

What the gently caress did you just loving say about me, you little bitch? I’ll have you know I graduated top of my class in RCIA, and I’ve been involved in numerous secret Vatican conspiracies, and I have over 300 confirmed novenas to Mary. I am trained in the rosary and I’m the top prayer warrior in the entire United States. You are nothing to me but just another target. I will pray for you intensely with precision the likes of which has never been seen before on this Earth, mark my loving words. You think you can get away with saying that poo poo to me over the Internet? Think again, fucker. As we speak I am contacting the secret Vatican police and your IP is being traced right now so you better prepare for the prayer storm, maggot. The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your sola fide. You think you're loving righteous by faith, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can pray for you in over seven hundred ways, and that’s just with my bare hands. Not only am I extensively trained in praying the rosary and visiting the stations of the cross, but I have access to the entire arsenal of the Enchiridion of Indulgences and I will use it to its full extent to get you all the indulgences you need to be freed from purgatory, you little poo poo. If only you could have known what unholy retribution your little “clever” comment was about to bring down upon you, maybe you would have held your loving tongue. But you couldn’t, you didn’t, and now you’re paying the price, you goddamn idiot. I will poo poo the rosary all over you and you will drown in it. You’re loving *in* my prayer intentions, kiddo.

Commie NedFlanders
Mar 8, 2014

so for the longest time i never understood what the deal was with Jews and Christians

the media and culture and stuff i learned about suggested that Christians didn't like Jews, but it seemed like the bible was pretty much always talking about the Jewish people

it has always baffled me why Jews and Christians seem to know so little about each other, at least, in my experience.

that being said, as a Christian, I believe God made a covenant with the people of Israel that continues to this day, I think their purpose was to be a shining light in the world, to be a beacon of God's love and righteousness.

of course things went a little off track around the time of....*ahem* the Common Era...

In my experience I always thought Christians and Jews were both acting with only half of the picture, like Christians only seemed to focus on salvation like that was all that mattered was getting saved and all they talked about was what you needed to be saved and how to get saved but not as much beyond that except how to deal with constantly messing up and sinning now that you have the love of God in your heart.

on the other hand, I've always admired orthodox Jews who followed the Torah. I find it amazing that God gave His people these instructions, a blueprint for life, that if followed would help the grow a person spiritually and most importantly help the person to properly honor God, also, in general following this law tends to lead to what one might call a good life. of course when I listen to orthodox rabbis speaking it seems to obvious to me that this beautiful thing they have is missing the key centerpiece, the Messiah.

anyway, recently i've discovered some amazing teachings from the Messianic Jewish movement, so I can learn from the wisdom and blessings of those raised in the Jewish tradition, but also who have the real, personal, living relationship with God through Yeshua.

http://bethisraelnow.podbean.com

These have been some of the most spiritually enriching messages, and the speaker is just excellent and often speaks about his own perspective growing up in a conservative Jewish home and has a rich understanding of Hebrew language and culture.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mo Tzu posted:

also fun fact; the guy who wrote trigun is catholic

this is pretty much the least surprising thing ever though

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

The Phlegmatist posted:

The storm that wipes out the pathetic little thing you call your sola fide. You think you're loving righteous by faith, kid. I can be anywhere, anytime, and I can pray for you in over seven hundred ways,

i legitimately laughed out loud at this part :xd:

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

i'm gonna assume you're posting in good faith here, but fyi you are probably very unlikely to find a sympathetic audience here for what you just wrote. your post paints a deeply stereotypical and ignorant picture of Judaism that flat-out ignores the enormous variety in Jewish observance and practice, and it flatly ignores the fact that the single largest group of Christians in the world (over half , in fact) doesn't give two shits about "getting saved" in the sense that you're using it. both religions are far more diverse than you give them credit for, and while i do think that they can be enriched by one another, that enrichment is best done in authentic ecumenical dialogue between people steeped in the respective traditions, not through 1960s syncretism.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Mo Tzu posted:

augustine ichiro okamura is pretty much why i am buddhist and he'd be very disappointed about that

i'm surprised you didn't bring up kazoh kitamori, though, he's pretty famous in the west.

I was actually reading a bit out of "Awakening to Prayer" the other day off scans on Google but I'm not really familiar enough to recommend him. As for Kitamori I guess I came at "The Theology of the Cross" from Molmann so I tend to associate that more with him but the name Kitamori did ring a bell. Good to have more recommendations for people to search for if they want!

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Commie NedFlanders posted:

Judaism and Christianity

Our Father Abraham was recommended to me if you want to read more into the connections between Hebraic thought and Christianity.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

the single largest group of Christians in the world (over half , in fact) doesn't give two shits about "getting saved" in the sense that you're using it.
excuse me, the second-largest Christianity in the world is fully in agreement with you guys here

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Bel_Canto posted:

i'm gonna assume you're posting in good faith here, but fyi you are probably very unlikely to find a sympathetic audience here for what you just wrote. your post paints a deeply stereotypical and ignorant picture of Judaism that flat-out ignores the enormous variety in Jewish observance and practice, and it flatly ignores the fact that the single largest group of Christians in the world (over half , in fact) doesn't give two shits about "getting saved" in the sense that you're using it. both religions are far more diverse than you give them credit for, and while i do think that they can be enriched by one another, that enrichment is best done in authentic ecumenical dialogue between people steeped in the respective traditions, not through 1960s syncretism.

What's the problem with Messianic Judaism, exactly?

I know it has some strange cult offshoots (Sacred Name, Black Israelites) and there's the whole Southern Baptist-ish Jews For Jesus thing, but if someone who was born into the Jewish faith wanted to convert and yet keep kosher out of respect for their heritage I don't really see what would be so wrong with that. I mean that was most likely what the church in Jerusalem was doing shortly after AD 33. Of course Messianic Judaism is the old hipster religion (new hipster religion is Gnosticism) so I guess there may have been a bunch of gentiles converting to Messianic Judaism and deciding to keep the Law when it really had no cultural relevance to them.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

What's the problem with Messianic Judaism, exactly?

the problem isn't with Messianic Judaism per se, it's with the dumb stereotypes in that post, where Judaism is only Orthodox (who are definitely a minority) and Christianity is only American Protestants (also definitely a minority). those are raw nerves for both Catholics (and, i imagine, Orthodox) and Jews, where huge chunks of us get erased from our own communities in favor of what's most palatable to American television

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Y'all know Commie NedFlanders has had many threads in GBS that are full of incoherent "Christian" rambling, right?

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

there are things that human eyes were never meant to gaze on, and GBS is one of them

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Y'all know Commie NedFlanders has had many threads in GBS that are full of incoherent "Christian" rambling, right?

Yep.

Anyway he does bring up a good point that the public perception of Christianity in the US is basically the realm of fundamentalists. Get right with Jesus, trust that He died for your sins and was raised again on the third day and that's your gateway to heaven. It's very salvation-centric. Then you have Christians who don't really act any different from non-Christians (my ex used to babysit the worship leader's kids while he and his wife went to the strip club, for example) and so when you combine that with saying the sinner's prayer gets you into heaven regardless of your works in this age, it's very easy to assume that Christians are all just a bunch of hypocrites.

So that's why I assume our friend Commie Ned Flanders has turned to following the Mosaic Law as a way to enrich himself spiritually. Because the salvation-centric method of evangelical Protestants doesn't really tell you how to actually live as a Christian. It's all boiled down to "well, you're born again now since you accepted Jesus into your heart, so now you're supposed to be perfect all the time." In theological terms it's binding up regeneration, justification and sanctification all in that one very moment when you answer the altar call.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

That really depends on your individual church. Most are just like "well, you said the prayer and signed this card saying you said it with Deacon X, you're God's problem now! Seeya at the rapture!" which may have cost more souls than it saved due to its attitude of apathy and appearance of hypocrisy. A congregation that actually cares will have discipleship programs you can go to at the church, or they'll have someone come to your home if your schedule doesn't permit regular attendance.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Jaramin posted:

That really depends on your individual church. Most are just like "well, you said the prayer and signed this card saying you said it with Deacon X, you're God's problem now! Seeya at the rapture!" which may have cost more souls than it saved due to its attitude of apathy and appearance of hypocrisy. A congregation that actually cares will have discipleship programs you can go to at the church, or they'll have someone come to your home if your schedule doesn't permit regular attendance.

This must be how Cythereal feels when Catholics and Orthodox start gooning out over liturgy and sacraments.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Bel_Canto posted:

This must be how Cythereal feels when Catholics and Orthodox start gooning out over liturgy and sacraments.

I for one enjoy being baffled by you guys most of the time ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Jaramin posted:

Okay. What's a 'discipleship program'? Is it a Bible study? (perhaps one that progresses in complexity?) Is it a community service program? Is it where the church gets new musicians or ushers? I don't think I have any Catholic referent for it.

Bel_Canto posted:

:catholic::hf::psyduck: ?

• Locked thread